Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

For bin liners whatever top is on it is way less important than how thick they are. No use having your perfect tie top or whatever if a giant gaping hole appears in the side when you look at it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Costco heavy duty binliners are ace. Also what an utter shower of cunts at those lord of siberia parties. Really telling how utterly performative any activism is in the tv space and its just liberal wankers taking oligarch money all the way down while making a sad face to camera.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1502721920340529154

James o brian is thiiiiiiis close to asking himself why the media treatment of corbyn was how it was

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not if you operate under the model where he just has things he instinctively likes and dislikes and conjures up rationales after the fact in order to reinforce those assumptions.

He doesn't like elements of the far right because they seem crass to him or because they occasionally target things he likes, therefore he looks for supporting evidence to rationalize his dislike of them (which is not hard to find) and this is very enjoyable because it validates his existing beliefs, but will find himself fundamentally incapable of forming a new worldview out of those pieces of information because that would necessitate engaging with the possibility that he is, or has been, wrong. And as having the book he wrote called "how not to be wrong" as his DP might suggest, he really does not want to do that because that would make him feel uncomfortable instead of being enjoyable.

Facts are like mountains, people live near them and know they exist but rarely interact with them personally and mostly use them to orient themselves in environments of their own construction.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 13, 2022

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1502756401332031491

He's so close though. The man is edging out of his mind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bet you a fiver the best he can come out with is "russian spies personally put them in place and we just need to find the russian spy what did it and everything will be fine again" and never comes within a million miles of a systemic critique like "the structure of our society and politics is greatly advantaged by the stoking of wildly xenophobic rhetoric by all parties in power while simultaneously, the sustaining and widening of wealth inequality is something the media class as a whole is on the advantageous side of, thus the media is inclined to support that political position above all else and thus tends to support variations of low tax, low public service, low trust and individualistic (xenophobic) politics which serve to weaken labour power, and I bought into this wholesale when faced with a left wing alternative and continue to do so with the characterisation of failures of domestic british society as machinations of the foreign other, to the exclusion of all other explanations"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I wonder if these parties are actually enjoyable. Is anyone there actually having a good time or are they just gritting their teeth while trying to make sure as many influential people remember their names. I guess they probably have oodles of cash to spend on drugs and circus animals or whatever the gently caress but a shite crowd's still a shite crowd at the end of the day, surely

e: i am in the drawstring camp. Let me know when the time comes and I'll get to the wall

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean obviously I doubt anybody ITT would like it but I can only assume there is a big slice of media/politics weirdos who absolutely love it because their lifelong quest is seemingly to try to make the entire world as unspeakably boring as they are.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

It's like a Captcha where you have to mark every square with a oval office in it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Release the 2020 Lord of Siberia Christmas party pics you cowards. Bet there's a binbag full of custard.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1502756401332031491

He's so close though. The man is edging out of his mind.

Oh he absolutely already knows, this is just him bitching because he didn't get invited to the party.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Mayor of London’s head looks unusually large in that photo. He’s like a little bobblehead

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Angepain posted:

I wonder if these parties are actually enjoyable. Is anyone there actually having a good time or are they just gritting their teeth while trying to make sure as many influential people remember their names. I guess they probably have oodles of cash to spend on drugs and circus animals or whatever the gently caress but a shite crowd's still a shite crowd at the end of the day, surely

e: i am in the drawstring camp. Let me know when the time comes and I'll get to the wall

Remember that Ledbedev owns a newspaper so politicians etc will feel the need to cosy up to him.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

therattle posted:

Remember that Ledbedev owns a newspaper so politicians etc will feel the need to cosy up to him.

yeah but its a poo poo newspaper that nobody reads.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

yeah but its a poo poo newspaper that nobody reads.

He still owns the Standard, which is pretty much read entirely by Westminster bubble inhabitants at this point. In particular the briefcase class at Labour HQ are *terrified* of it because they believe it is to the London mayoral race what the Sun was to general elections in the 70s and 80s.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

therattle posted:

Thats the depressing thing. It's not men is smokey rooms making plans for the next shipment of ambrosia. Its dull as dishwater light entertainers all agreeing with each other that Jeremy Corbyn is history's greatest monster because they don't want to miss the opportunity to eat M&S Cocktail sausages with Nigel Farage.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm looking for a birthday present for my niece and came across something that made me laugh:

Sometimes it's nice to have a sensible chuckle.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jeremy Vine really is one of the dimmest people ever allowed near Television journalism

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
"Lord of Siberia" sounds like a racehorse.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

sounds like my love life

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Oh he absolutely already knows, this is just him bitching because he didn't get invited to the party.

You are exactly right. He is now fishing for a greaser

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1502946117557919749

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jiggerypokery posted:

You are exactly right. He is now fishing for a greaser

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1502946117557919749

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjtLDlz8yG4

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

:five:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Jeremy Vine really is one of the dimmest people ever allowed near Television journalism

GILES COREN: Imagine if I was actually saying this. What would you think?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Is that going to be his excuse for that 'my toddler is so sexy' post going forward I wonder?

Just a man who cannot feel love at all without making it about sex.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's like a Captcha where you have to mark every square with a oval office in it.
And the more faces you can actually put names to the less likely you are to be a real person.

Is he turning himself in?

smellmycheese posted:

I liked his "nuke the northern hemisphere so that the global south can have a go at running things" bit even if it was supposed to be irony poisoned. We could do with a lot more "imagine if someone said [Posadist edgelordism]" to balance the existing "imagine if someone said [Hitlerist edgelordism]" poo poo takes in The Spectator and Mail and so on that never get as much pushback.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

And the more faces you can actually put names to the less likely you are to be a real person.

Is he turning himself in?

I liked his "nuke the northern hemisphere so that the global south can have a go at running things" bit even if it was supposed to be irony poisoned. We could do with a lot more "imagine if someone said [Posadist edgelordism]" to balance the existing "imagine if someone said [Hitlerist edgelordism]" poo poo takes in The Spectator and Mail and so on that never get as much pushback.

Clearly a man who has never read “On the Beach”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The hit song by London mayoral candidate Dr Peter Gammons?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

The hit song by London mayoral candidate Dr Peter Gammons?

How can you mention that song and not link to it? Shame on you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5WouIzjgqo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's clearly inspired by the book of the same name

quote:

On the Beach is a post-apocalyptic novel published in 1957, written by British author Nevil Shute after he emigrated to Australia. The novel details the experiences of a mixed group of people in Melbourne as they await the arrival of deadly radiation spreading towards them from the Northern Hemisphere, following a nuclear war the previous year. As the radiation approaches, each person deals with impending death differently.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of centrists maybe, possibly having a moment of self-reflection (though the odds of it lasting for more than a moment are low):

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1502800434498613252?s=21

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Personally, I'm at a place where forgiving these people for being taken I'm by corbyn media bullshit is more than necessary.

Carole is 100% one of the good ones.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

Personally, I'm at a place where forgiving these people for being taken I'm by corbyn media bullshit is more than necessary.

Carole is 100% one of the good ones.

Naah, she's mobbed up with the Integrity Initiative, and keeps coming out with stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1500741982460821511?s=21

Her Russia stuff hasn't yet broken out of being an extension of Western imperialism into becoming a critique of that as well.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

https://twitter.com/pevchikh/status/1501878715709632518

Totally normal, totally healthy....

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I don't care. I don't need to agree with her every last opinion to say that she is paying the price for being one of about 3 people still doing ever to do proper journalism in this country and paying for it hard.

She should be supported and applauded tbh

E:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Private Speech posted:

Also she's asking parents to do the same thing with "video game leads". Guessing goons will love that, or even society at large given how gaming has become prevalent lately.

Video gaming is just for adults, don't you know.

Whenever I remember this woman runs an actual school I get earnestly sad thinking about the poor kids who have to endure it. I remember when I was 14/15 I was being pretty badly bullied and being able to just completely lose myself in videogame escapism every night was such a relief for me. It's baffling to me that we still have plenty of people in this country who have such a reactionary, completely baseless assumption that they're somehow inherently bad for kids. The mental health of pupils at that school must be in loving tatters.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

I don't care. I don't need to agree with her every last opinion to say that she is paying the price for being one of about 3 people still doing ever to do proper journalism in this country and paying for it hard.

E:

She is 100% a crank my dude

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jiggerypokery posted:

E:

gently caress that, "not my beat" is a garbage excuse for ignoring the rampant misogyny & racism of Gudio until it impacted her personally. She's a typical liberal who only gives a gently caress about anything that directly impacts her. Leaving the EU? Raaaaargh mad. Folk being sanctioned by the DWP & literally starving to death, not figuratively but literally dying because the state found some minor fault and punished them for it? Not my beat.

It's loving bollocks, she's got a personal Twitter account, she's able to comment on poo poo outside her "beat" (never mind that The Guardian will let any melt write in their opinion section if they are well known enough & she sure is), but she doesn't because why bother upsetting the applecart? After all, there's a good chance that one of her colleagues worked for Guido (believe Jim Waterson was an intern there) & certainly the way the media is going she will work with more than 1 in the rest of her career.

"Look at this picture. It's being shared by lefties despite being made by people who worked for RT!" "OK, but is the image wrong?" "No, but you're being duped into spreading Russian propaganda." "Does the source matter if the material is indisputably true?" "Whatabboutism!"

Gosh, I'm glad someone is doing real journalism.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

As anyone who’s done corporate investigations knows, whistleblowers are, overwhelmingly, weird slightly antisocial cranks. That’s the personality type that ever makes decisions on the basis of principle rather than expedience.

People who go on principle-driven crusades of any type are IMO cut from the same cloth. Cadwallader is undoubtedly a crank and I think is also right about the susceptibility of what’s laughably called our “elite” to foreign influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Vote leave massively overspent on the brexit ref, breaking electoral law.

Targeted ads are what they spent a lot of it on via the consultancy Cambridge analytica

Facebook refuses and is under no obligation to release any information about what those ads where, or how they were targeted.

Nothing about her basic premise is cranky.