Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Looks like this is the point where Fishman heard that a war has started. "Hmm, should I start drawing a new cartoon from scratch? Nah, I'll just put Ukrainian flag's colours in the first panel :effort::tinsley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

posted:

Stephen Collins:

Can't let this get lost in the previous page.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Looks like this is the point where Fishman heard that a war has started. "Hmm, should I start drawing a new cartoon from scratch? Nah, I'll just put Ukrainian flag's colours in the first panel :effort::tinsley:

Dailies usually aren't colored by the artists themselves, so this may be a syndicate colorist throwing in a token of support.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

So far this Prickly City storyline has gone as follows:

"I'm going to run for Senate!"
"Oh no!"
"Oh yes!"
"Oh no!"
"Oh yes!"

"Someone's running against us, who could it be?"
"It's some lizard we're supposed to remember! Also Hillary Clinton bunny!"
"Oh no!"
"Oh yes!"
"Oh no!"
"Oh yes!"

"Let's go knock on doors to get people to vote for me."
"This is hard."

"We need people to actually want us to be on the ballot in order to get on the ballot."
"This is hard."

"We need some money to run. Large donations are selling our souls to big business, which we care about for this exact moment. Small donations are selling our souls to...????"
"This is hard."

"Don't you want to vote for me because the Democrats and Republicans are crazy and extreme? No, I still don't have a platform, this is Prickly City. Guess I'll have to be crazy and extreme." *makes no attempt at this*

"This is hard."
"Oh no!"
"Oh yes!"
"This is hard."
"Oh no!"
"Oh yes!"

So, actually, this makes me curious. CNN has had at least five reporters in Ukraine as all of this has gone down, including two of their lead anchors (Anderson Cooper is still over there, I think). They've been shot at. A few have been reporting with explosions going off in the background. Visiting subway tunnels and children's hospitals turned into shelters, interviewing members of the Ukrainian government, etc. Whatever someone's opinions are on CNN, they are actually over there taking risks to cover what's happening.

So, uh. Has Fox sent...anyone? Does Fox even employ field reporters that actually go out and report on things that aren't Jesse Watters being a dipshit at randos on the street? My gut says no, because that would require doing anything other than smarming about Biden and trying to walk the line between "this is bad because Biden" and "this is fine because Putin didn't call me a racist". This might be the most accurate cartoon Fishman has ever done, bravo.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

kartikeya posted:

So, actually, this makes me curious. CNN has had at least five reporters in Ukraine as all of this has gone down, including two of their lead anchors (Anderson Cooper is still over there, I think). They've been shot at. A few have been reporting with explosions going off in the background. Visiting subway tunnels and children's hospitals turned into shelters, interviewing members of the Ukrainian government, etc. Whatever someone's opinions are on CNN, they are actually over there taking risks to cover what's happening.

So, uh. Has Fox sent...anyone? Does Fox even employ field reporters that actually go out and report on things that aren't Jesse Watters being a dipshit at randos on the street? My gut says no, because that would require doing anything other than smarming about Biden and trying to walk the line between "this is bad because Biden" and "this is fine because Putin didn't call me a racist". This might be the most accurate cartoon Fishman has ever done, bravo.

How unfair is it to expect Fishman know that two weeks ago??

Although it's somewhat prescient to mention an unqualified comedian...

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Nenonen posted:

How unfair is it to expect Fishman know that two weeks ago??

Although it's somewhat prescient to mention an unqualified comedian...

It's actually been a bit more than two weeks since the actual invasion started, but it's still pretty stupid of him to be making a cartoon like that in the week or so leading up to it, when things were almost certain to kick off and CNN had been there for, eh, I dunno, at least a week or two already. Mostly, though, I'm wondering if Fox does anything close to field reporting, and imagining the impossible scenario of a sniveling coward like Tucker Carlson in a warzone is a little bit funny.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

MARIE ANTOINETTE IS MORE SYMPATHETIC THAN PETE BUTTIGIEG

How out of touch is TRANS-portation Secretary Pete Buttigieg? At a recent press conference the elusive Buttigieg suggested Americans can beat skyrocketing gas prices by buying electric vehicles. Because every American has a spare $55 thousand laying around to drop on a virtue-signaling electric car.

Pete Antoinette is clueless. Most of the country does not live in dense urban areas, and the short range of an electric car would not work well in states such as Montana and Texas. And what happens when you run out of juice? Where are the charging stations? If you plan on charging up the battery at home, prepare for your electric bill to double or triple. Where does your electricity come from? Aging nuclear plants or the so-called “evil” clean-burning coal plants. If you’re lucky, you get it from a hydroelectric dam. Windmill and solar panels are just not practical as the technology still is not there.

All this doesn’t matter to elites such as Pothole Pete Antoinette. After all, working hard to make ends meet is for the “little people”.

Pete said low-income people and people who live in rural areas would benefit most from EVs because they “use the most gas.” Translation: “Hey stupid red state people, you’d better switch over to electric vehicles because we plan on making gas prices so high that we will force you into the Green New Deal whether you like it or not!”

Even the Drooler-In-Chief Joe Biden chimed in last year about the wonderful savings possible with electric vehicles:

“For the hundreds of thousands of folks who bought one of those electric cars, they’re going to save $800 to $1000 in fuel costs this year.”

Ivory Tower Joe was referring to the $112,595 electric Hummer pickup he test drove at a General Motors factory in Detroit in 2021.

The entire Biden administration is completely out of touch with Americans. They continue to spew obvious, outrageous lies. They know that we know they are lying through their teeth, but they lie anyway. The Biden regime looks down its collectivist nose at the American people. Don’t they realize that this will not end well for them? Perhaps they plan on stealing the midterms through mail-in fraud and Dominion voting machine criminality. If they do that, it could spark a revolution. Will there be guillotines?

Like Marie Antoinette, the Democrats are in for a very rude awakening.

— Tina

Ugh.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

Because every American has a spare $55 thousand laying around to drop on a virtue-signaling electric car.

quote:

the short range of an electric car would not work well in states such as Montana and Texas

I did some googling so I'm an expert on this subject, got my PhD in electric vehicle ranges and prices from DKU. Anyway!

https://insideevs.com/news/566954/bev-epa-range-comparison-february2022/

The article says that ranges vary of course between models, the lowest range is 100 miles from the Mazda MX-30 and the highest is 520 from the Lucid Air Dream Edition Range. But now quoting from the article directly:

quote:

Most of the cars sit between 200 and 300 miles (483 km).

The Nissan LEAF e+ S (62 kWh) is the least expensive model with more than 200 miles of range, at 226 miles (364 km) of EPA range and an effective price of $25,875 (MSRP + DST, after deducting $7,500 federal tax credit).

The Hyundai Kona Electric (64 kWh) is the least expensive above 250 miles, at 258 miles (415 km) and an effective price of $27,685.

The least expensive above 300 miles is the upcoming entry-level Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE RWD (77.4 kWh), at 303 miles (488 km) and an effective price of $37,375. Of course, this is on paper, because the real prices vary.

It then mentions that pretty much every electric car above 360 miles is six figures or close enough to it. So, anyway, two things to take away. One is that Garrison is completely wrong about price, since you can get electric cars for a little over half of what he said. Now of course, this doesn't mean they're super affordable or anything, like hell I couldn't afford it, but they're definitely not luxury items or reserved solely for the wealthy, they're at least affordable for upper lower middle class people.

The second is that there actually aren't that many electric cars with low ranges. So like, the Mazda MX-30, yeah that one's an issue, even here in Virginia making a drive to my cousin's place to pick him up for work while both his cars are dead, I'm putting about 150 miles on my car a day. That specific car would not work for the miles I'm driving now, and there are people who commute a decent enough distance that 100 miles is just too low. But as the article says, most EVs seem to be at least 200 miles, living in Texas or Montana has nothing to do with it, I'm pretty sure not everyone in those states is doing 100+ mile commutes every day, and it seems that most EVs would work just fine unless you're like in loving Alaska, where it actually might be a significant amount of miles to get to another town. Though if you live that far away from civilization in Alaska you probably also don't actually have electricity anyway. I've watched a lot of that Last Alaskans show on Discovery.

Anyway Garrison is wrong and also stupid although I'm sure in this particular case he's purposely being wrong because that's what right wingers do.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

By popular demand posted:

Can't let this get lost in the previous page.

Only downside is I don't see Dennis Prager anywhere.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Nenonen posted:

I want so badly for the first war comic to be something along the lines of "Wow, big daddy Russia sure smoked those guys in The Ukraine didn't he?? :allears:"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

kartikeya posted:

So far this Prickly City storyline has gone as follows:

I truly do appreciate how not a single strip has outlined any policies of Carmen's. By this point I'd have expected at least some entirely hollow rhetoric about sensible financial policy or hands-across-the-aisle compromise, but apparently even that is too political a statement for Stantis. It really pairs perfectly with the general tone that it is incredibly unfair that she can't just get a house seat or whatever she's running for for absolutely free.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:ughh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dang, you're right Tina, most Americans can't afford an electric car! Maybe the government should massively subsidize them so that they are affordable! Oh, what's that, you just want to drill for more oil. Oh.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Having lived in Montana, most people don’t travel more than 100 miles from home without a good reason (cause there’s generally gently caress all outside of their largest cities), with the exception of hunting and fishing seasons.

If the gas stations there wanted to make some easy money, they’d start installing charging stations at the truck stops and cash in on the electric cars that need to charge (they also have restaurants onsite as well, so extra money being spent there).

TLDR; Garrison is a loving idiot

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My thought on gas was that it got low due to the pandemic, and that made it a non-brainer for speculation as it was never going to stay that low. So once the pandemic ended we pretended the pandemic was over, demand shot up as people wanted to travel more than ever or had to as offices reopened. So speculators had a field day with the most obvious market prediction since “streaming might hurt Blockbuster.”

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
There’s a good reason Garrison picked the timeframe that he did: if you looked before March of 2020, the price was very close to what it was pre invasion: https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=emm_epm0_pte_nus_dpg&f=m

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Steve Breen

Tim Campbell

Jeff Danziger

John Deering

Clay Jones

Henry Payne

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

If we had more defunding of police the crime wave wouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure that isn't the actual message of this cartoon but it's the only one that makes sense. Because like, if defunding police wasn't there, then the person would just be swallowed up by the crime wave.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

JEEZ Jones!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

God, the level of :qq: in this comic is off the charts.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Imma wilfully ignore whatever hateful poo poo this is actually about to say the US should have a department of Trans affairs and it should be led by a person in a fancy ball gown.
:colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

transphobia....

....anti-vax propaganda....

...and something completely incomprehensible, those are the three pillars of Sinfest.

Despite looking like at least four or more other characters in this comic I think the hour glass backpack means this is supposed to be the year 2022, maybe? Here we go again, I guess, wheeeeee.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

...and something completely incomprehensible, those are the three pillars of Sinfest.

Despite looking like at least four or more other characters in this comic I think the hour glass backpack means this is supposed to be the year 2022, maybe? Here we go again, I guess, wheeeeee.

Goddang it's funny how much TERFs hate Margaret Atwood

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The QR code on the back of her neck is "2022" so yep, here we go again.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Robots are neat.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ5VzlRvIw4

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Byzantine posted:

Robots are neat.

They sure are.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

gently caress me, I laughed at this one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the book (and tv show) the handmaidens aren't allowed to put on make-up or dress sexy though. I have no idea what the handmaidens in Sinfest are supposed to represent.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Forced sex work? Ishida lost the ability to make sense about in 2019

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I think the handmaidens didn't start showing up until after the TERF swing. IIRC, they're usually doing stuff like saying "you're valid," to the woke zombies or some such. Instead of sex workers, they're :airquote: gender workers. :airquote:

So I guess this means The Personification of 2022 got a vaccination that was laced with borg nanoprobes, and she's now a robot or cyborg or something? And the evil twitter-government is making her be pro-trans. Maybe.

That's what I can get out of it, anyway.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

What I never get is sinking to an imaginary world of your own making AND choosing such a lovely imaginary world.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not going to say I'm happy I get this better now, but that retrospective means I get this now thankfully? Yeah that's the new year, I think the Woke Pimp/Minister kidnapped her this year.

Even reading that thing, the wild shift into transphobia still feels like it came out rather unexpectedly. I have trouble understanding the idea that trans-people enforce the gender binary, thus making them enemies to "feminists".

I know he's gotten credit for being a good artist, but frankly if he only can draw one type of woman he's not that good of an artist. All his female characters look 100% the same.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Not a single change to his one and only female body type in 20+ years, his issues must run deep.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Raised By Birds posted:

I think the handmaidens didn't start showing up until after the TERF swing. IIRC, they're usually doing stuff like saying "you're valid," to the woke zombies or some such. Instead of sex workers, they're :airquote: gender workers. :airquote:

But again, the society that made the handmaidens enforce strict gender rules. Offred's friend for example was labeled a gender traitor because she's a lesbian. The Handmaid's Tale was in fact explicitly written to criticize the ideas that Ishida is promoting.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Sedisp posted:

Goddang it's funny how much TERFs hate Margaret Atwood

I'd say its more accurate that they love Margaret Atwood and are obsessed with stealing her imagery to make their own hateful ideas appear more legitimate, to the point that some loving hack in the Guardian embarrassed themselves repeatedly in an interview trying to get Atwood to side with the Terfs and getting shot down repeatedly by her.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Got a link to this interview?
I need a bit of sanity.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just as a pro-tip: "Handmaidens" is what TERFs call trans-positive cis women. It basically means they see them as collaborators of the patriarchy.

Also lol is Ishida going to actually add crypto stuff to his comics now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

By popular demand posted:

Got a link to this interview?
I need a bit of sanity.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/ng-interactive/2022/feb/19/margaret-atwood-on-feminism-culture-wars

Rereading it the vibe is properly weird; it starts off as a standard puff peice for an author with a new book out, but about two thirds of the way through it shifts entirely into the interviewer trying to get Atwood to support her terf views. It's a good example of how transphobes end up becoming singularly obsessed with the issue.