Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Popete posted:

This is my first "souls" game.

I think I'm having fun? Its hard to tell, I often find myself frustrated by the experience but the combat is engaging. I also can't make up my mind if it's truly a good game like everyone says or it's just a bad game that is fun. Corpse running as a mechanic is bad and having to grind thru the same low level enemies to fight a tough boss feels bad but beating tough enemies feels rewarding. I also don't like how many "gotcha" traps there are the first time you encounter an enemy or area.

Anyways that's my review of Elden Ring. It's good?

the fromsoft oeuvre is like a laser guided missile designed to strike at the weak points in the way people think about games. like saying that a given mechanic is "bad" or "good." Mechanics are ingredients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

Things in the distance tend to appear closer then they are in this game. I suspect that is Renna's rise near the manor.

Check the marker, its the same in both screenshots; that's not one of the three sisters imo

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The shrimp with the armored core missiles are the worst.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Impermanent posted:

the fromsoft oeuvre is like a laser guided missile designed to strike at the weak points in the way people think about games. like saying that a given mechanic is "bad" or "good." Mechanics are ingredients.

That's fair, I guess I shouldn't say it's bad by nature but I still don't enjoy corpse running in this game it makes me feel like exploring is a punishment when combined with the "gotcha" death traps that seem to be everywhere.

For instance I was running through some low lever area and stabbed a weak lone zombie guy in the back for an instant kill. Then out of nowhere a were bear appeared right in front of me and killed me almost instantly. Maybe I missed something but it felt completely random and caused me to have to make a long corpse run back and I felt less inclined to go off on treks like that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Also as my starting item I picked the shrimp, I accidentally used them all before I realized what I was doing and now they are just gone? Did I gently caress up picking shrimp?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

They're nowhere near top tier but I like the giant rats summon. It's similar to the three wolves you get at the start, but it's completely free (no hp or fp cost) and leveling it up not only increases the rats' stats but also the number summoned.

They also spawn weird, at first I thought they had a special trait that made them spawn next to the enemies instead of you, but after messing with it more I think they're just bugged. Sometimes they spawn right next to the boss, sometimes they're off in a corner somewhere. It's random but seems consistent for each arena.

the vermintide have his own agenda and they spawn already doing something nefarius ...somewhere. unlike most other that kind of follow you and agro on your targets but may disengage a boss if you walk too far from him.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Popete posted:

Also as my starting item I picked the shrimp, I accidentally used them all before I realized what I was doing and now they are just gone? Did I gently caress up picking shrimp?

Nah all the starting gifts are just little trinkets you could usually do without, you'll be fine

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Chard posted:

Check the marker, its the same in both screenshots; that's not one of the three sisters imo

Place a marker so it is behind the structure. I suspect the map gets compressed to get you a better view of the distance.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

It's almost literally DS2 2

Can’t be, it doesn’t suck

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

That's fair, I guess I shouldn't say it's bad by nature but I still don't enjoy corpse running in this game it makes me feel like exploring is a punishment when combined with the "gotcha" death traps that seem to be everywhere.

For instance I was running through some low lever area and stabbed a weak lone zombie guy in the back for an instant kill. Then out of nowhere a were bear appeared right in front of me and killed me almost instantly. Maybe I missed something but it felt completely random and caused me to have to make a long corpse run back and I felt less inclined to go off on treks like that.

Yeah I get excited by crazy poo poo like that and it makes me want to explore more.

Popete posted:

Starting gift items are generally all stuff you can get later in the game.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 13, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

my faith was getting a little shaky with everything i was reading but having finally experienced and beaten both radahn and godskin apostle today in person i'm feeling new conviction in not believing people when they start yelling about how poorly a boss is designed

I saw a lot of complaining about fire giant and he wasn’t bad at all besides the snow shoveling attack which I still don’t know is actually avoidable

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://twitter.com/jezcorden/status/1502669766967894018?s=21

Now what’s this about having to kill this loving Ulcerated Tree Spirit in a loving rot lake?
loving how even

Char
Jan 5, 2013
So, remember, I was ranting about those two valiant gargoyles a couple days ago.
I respecced full strength, it's like playing easymode. I got into Deeproot, then Nokstella.
While I was loving around in Lake of Rot I noticed the game was giving me a lot of somber smithing stones. "Well, I kinda get it, game. You want me to use them, I guess?"

Back to the roundtable, I pushed my Grafted Greatword to +8

Me, proceeding to meet Astel: :black101:

edit: Astel is art

Char fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 13, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think the worst part about the final boss is that it won't stop loving moving. It's like the boss was at one point meant to be fought on horseback, because the arena is massive, the boss swims around all the loving time, and constantly stays out of reach of both melee and sorceries. It's insane, please for the love of god just loving stay still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Just use bloodhound step on mobile bosses or ones in rot lakes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Popete posted:

and having to grind thru the same low level enemies to fight a tough boss feels bad but beating tough enemies feels rewarding.
regardless of what you mean by 'grind thru' you never have to do this

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I saw a lot of complaining about fire giant and he wasn’t bad at all besides the snow shoveling attack which I still don’t know is actually avoidable

The timing is a little wonky but you can totally dodge roll through it or use the iframes from dismounting from Torrent. Seems like the hitbox on that attack is at the very front edge of the snow flying at you, so you have to dodge earlier than you'd think.

Feels badass when you do, though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah but DS2 was one of the better ones.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Chard posted:

I checked out the same location and got better wetter. It is clearly caria manor and the three sisters, but the layout gets compressed for "amazing view" hacks by the game. I noticed that before when looking for map spots.
You can see the academy and the east gate also, and the beacons are on the three sisters on the map, but look like they should be north of the academy east gate.

Cool, artifact of the game tho.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Personal pet peeve: Bosses whose second phase only triggers when the health bar is fully drained rather than having one bar that triggers a second phase at 50% or whatever. I know its just psychological, but I loving hate the feeling of bringing a boss to zero just to find that there's a second terrible phase.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Who's got tips for killing a certain magma boi who has my katana. I'm having trouble meleeing him safely, can't read when he's going to massively aoe.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I finished the game.

Final boss: I ended up ditching sorcery and dex/int entirely and respeccing into Sword of Night and Flame, then using fire on Radagon and the beam on Elden Beast. It melted Radagon but I still had to use a few health flasks on him; Elden Beast was a pain in the dick for the aforementioned STOP loving MOVING reasons.

Yeah, I'd give the game an A, maybe a B+. It's a Fromsoft game so the gameplay is never going to be top notch for me, and I thought it dragged in places - I really really wanted to just loving finish the game towards the end. It's GOTY so far, but the year is young!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah but DS2 was one of the better ones.

It’s the worst souls game OP.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s the worst souls game OP.

I thought that was King's Field?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can Power Stance the Wakizashi (dagger) in the left hand while holding a katana in the right hand :allears:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What's the go with Elden B he's swimming around making big circles and I'm chasing him angrily and losing it!

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Solid few hours of PVP this evening by the frozen lake and I’m really impressed by the creativity of players. Saw loads of different and unique builds. Really gives you some fun ideas to play with. I was doing a complete mix of summoning co-op players, duelists, hunters and using the “invade me pls” item. Lots of honourable duels with me hosting, some 2v2’s. Several times duelists would stop fighting to bulldoze an invader who didn’t want to wait their turn. One case of instant death aura abuse, fair bit of strong bleed setups and honestly not that many moonlight katanas. Perhaps by the snowfields people who’ve been using them all game want to mix it up.

I wish there was a way to applaud someone who kills you, there have been some super close matches or really skilful but fair players that I’d like to give a “hell yeah” to.

I’m also incredibly tempted to do a playthrough where I both use player summons and also always have the boosted invasions item active. I reckon it could be a laugh, and player invaders bring a level of fun.

Favourite builds:

THE WALL: Nothing but some ragged pants and the massive stone slab shield wielded two handed. Shockingly effective against anyone not using status effects (since he had no resistance from clothing). Probably summoned him as a duelists six times and set him fighting and he won more than he lost.

CHAMPION: Beat five players in a row. Used some kind of estoc, a shield, the quick short range fire burst, lightning bolts and that evil homing attack the centipede men use. But mostly his timings were super tight. Fought him several times and couldn’t quite win.

SPIRIT OF MY ANCESTORS: Fought with the massive antler staff and some kind of item or weapon which let him summon an enemy stand to extend the reach of his attacks. Very cool build.

Honourable mentions:

EIGHTH TIME LUCKY: After I’d dodged the previous seven moonlight katana shots in a row, tried one more and died for it.

SLOW AND STEADY: Threw at least 3 dozen poison throwing knives at me before finally managing to inflict poison. Died shortly after because I guess they weren’t sure what to do next.

VIGOR IS A DUMP STAT: Noticed that when I summoned him it briefly displayed his hp at 498. For context I’m level 101. Apparently just put everything into int and actually beat two people so shine on you crazy diamond.

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN: Turned and ran after taking a couple of hits onto the ice lake and kept running. Never saw them again. Never saw a message that the disconnected. Sometimes I wonder if they’re still out there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

JBP posted:

What's the go with Elden B he's swimming around making big circles and I'm chasing him angrily and losing it!

Respec to use the Sword of Night and Flame, upgrade it fully, then spam the fire art on Radagon and the beam art on the Beast. Least pain-in-the-rear end way to kill it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I thought that was King's Field?

That’s a King’s Field game, not a Souls game.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Finally beat the game, Elden Beast and Dragonlord Placidusax were pretty epic. I one-shot both of them, but was out of health flasks by the end of the fights, which is more than I can say for almost any other boss. Then again, they had some weird attacks that were very hard to dodge/iframe through.

Also I did a savescum to get all three endings, the "bad ending" Frenzied Flame one was also epic, and I wish I could play the rest of the game with that avatar instead of my normal armor.

11/10 game though, I'm very impressed.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Pablo Nergigante posted:

DS2 was really good though, which is why people see a lot of that in Elden Ring

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

JBP posted:

Well, for me and apparently also the video game Dunkey, the answer is to wait until its AI shits itself and just stands still for 3/4 of a lifebar.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

OMG I'm still finding new weapons.

Hello poison punchers that look like snake heads!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
hey homie, word on the street is that you're M A I D E N L E S S

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I felt dumb when I figured out it's actually the MOST avoidable attack jump over it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I came in knowing about the spiders, but was not expecting that.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finally beat the game. Sorcery made the final boss kind of a pushover. I died way more to Melenia than anything else.

One of my favorite games of all time, a truly epic experience.

Here’s my build

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Concurred posted:

DS2 was really good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How does dual-wielding work with passive effect buildup? I have two bleed katanas and am wondering if L1'ing will give me basically two hits of bleed buildup. Also they natively scale off of dex so will buildups also scale off of that if I give them keen, or should I just add bleed attunement to them and respec into so arcane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I just got to the fire giant, who I do no damage to, commander Niall (not O’Neill) just fucks me up, and I just feel like I’m underleveled for everything at this point in the game. I might just need to upgrade my sword, I probably haven’t upgraded it in like 30 hours.