Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, now that the game is over, I can start asking stupid questions.

Who exactly was Melina? And why did she have the same eye fuckery as Ranni (opposite eye, even)? Was she supposed to be a part of Marika or something?

What exactly was the Elden Ring? Some sort of big symbol made out of magical energy matter or something?

Apparently stars are actual living beings or something? e.g. Altea or whatever that void thing was? Is that what the Elden Beast was too?

What’s with this game’s preoccupation with limbs, anyway? The Fingers, the centipedes made out of human arms, grafting, Ranni has four arms, prostheses, etc.? It’s some sort of theme but I don’t know if it means anything or is just weird for weird’s sake.

Why did Sellen turn into a face orb?

At first I thought this game was gonna have a plant vs. fungus theme, with the Erdtree (plant) being opposed by the Scarlet Rot (fungus). That isn’t really the case, but why is the Scarlet Rot a fungus anyway?

What was that about Radagon’s skeleton?

Who the gently caress were Goldmask and the Dung Eater, anyway? I found Dung Eater but he gave me bad vibes so I avoided him. Why does he eat poo poo?

What’s the deal with D and Fia and her ball-ache blessing?

Ideally I’d like hints to these instead of being told outright, but some of the idk what the gently caress so just spoil me.

Where do I start getting schooled on the lore, anyway? There’s so many weird details and stuff that I just didn’t pick up on because item descriptions never stick in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Verisimilidude posted:

Finally beat the game. Sorcery made the final boss kind of a pushover. I died way more to Melenia than anything else.

One of my favorite games of all time, a truly epic experience.

Here’s my build

holy god 98 int. 80 is basically cap, id have dropped like 18 of that into dex/vigor or something.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Input reading bosses are really going to make me quit this game. Tapped a flask? Closer combo. Oh are you casting a spell? gently caress you, ranged attack faster than your cast time. Oh you need FP? Hope you like a sword up your rear end!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

No Wave posted:

Waaait so people aren't crazy for seeing more DS2 in this game.

I still stand by this assertation I made after playing for a few hours on release day

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm convinced that Elden Ring takes place in the world of Dark Souls 2.

1) "The Things Betwixt" was the intro zone from DS2, and having played the start of DS2 yesterday that whole area is fairly reminiscent of Elden Ring's overall world design. Also Things Betwixt = Lands Between, obviously.
2) It has enemies very much like Giants from DS2, and in DS2 the giants were said to be a prosperous and far-reaching civilization before they died off you time traveled to the past to kill them or whatever
3) Lots of nods to DS2 overall. The fantastical, colorful world, the more lively population and flora/fauna
4) The world of ER is the way it is because of "The Shattering". When you meet Aldia in DS2 and she realizes that you plan to end the current cycle, her exact dialog is "Young Hollow, are you intent on shattering the yoke, spoiling this wonderful falsehood?"
5) In DS3 the player permanently ends the cycle for the world of DS1, so I'm guessing this game is something similar for the world of DS2
6) Surely more stuff I haven't seen yet

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Kortel posted:

Input reading bosses are really going to make me quit this game. Tapped a flask? Closer combo. Oh are you casting a spell? gently caress you, ranged attack faster than your cast time. Oh you need FP? Hope you like a sword up your rear end!

Sorcery is cheating.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the last few bosses are relentless, it's crazy. some of them have zero downtime. Nameless King and Freide and whoever else seem so slow compared to them

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I know it's an old thing for souls games but it's truly amazing to get summoned into someone's game, see them buff the poo poo out of themselves including activating a rune, and then get *immediately* smoked once they draw aggro.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Buschmaki posted:

Sorcery is cheating.

:jerkbag:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

VulgarandStupid posted:

The shrimp with the armored core missiles are the worst.

Tarnished dogs. Welcome to Caelid.

Also deep maiden spoilers: The puppet creeplord turned your maiden into one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any channels doing lore dives on the level of Vaati right now (i.e. backs up assertions with ingame text, etc.)? I’m looking to catch up on everything I missed but I’m not sure who I should be watching, and Vaati doesn’t have anything yet. Recommendations?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

I still stand by this assertation I made after playing for a few hours on release day

This would be odd since Miyazaki didn't make DS2, and since DS2 is set in the same world as DS1 and 3. It just goes about hiding it better than 3 does.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RBA Starblade posted:

Tarnished dogs. Welcome to Caelid.

Also deep maiden spoilers: The puppet creeplord turned your maiden into one.

I thought our maiden got murdered at the Church of Anticipation and even left us a little encouraging message when we start the game?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I know it's an old thing for souls games but it's truly amazing to get summoned into someone's game, see them buff the poo poo out of themselves including activating a rune, and then get *immediately* smoked once they draw aggro.

In my invading below level 70isb experience, you're lucky to see a host with 800 hp

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

I checked out the same location and got better wetter. It is clearly caria manor and the three sisters, but the layout gets compressed for "amazing view" hacks by the game. I noticed that before when looking for map spots.
You can see the academy and the east gate also, and the beacons are on the three sisters on the map, but look like they should be north of the academy east gate.

Cool, artifact of the game tho.

i really hate this, to be totally honest. going out of their way to give me a detailed map and then twisting the rendering so it doesn't reflect what you see when running around, presumably for pretty vistas, is part of why i've soured on the open world aspect in general

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Now that I've beaten the game I've gone around and watched a couple youtubers and the like to see if any of them don't end up spamming hoarfrost stomp and the one thing I see a lot that drives me up the wall is people not picking up their map pieces. Just these ugly half-filled maps all over the place, jesus.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

still chasing that dragon for DS1's overlapping world

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

satanic splash-back posted:

In my invading below level 70isb experience, you're lucky to see a host with 800 hp

I'm currently at like level 30 so yeah that scans.

I really need to find somewhere to easily grind out runes. I've been farming the impassable Bridge where the demon dogs and soldiers fight each other and it's easy runes but it'll take me hours to get anywhere. Summoning into fights is nice but the return isn't amazing if you only win occasionally.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Buschmaki posted:

Sorcery is cheating.

But I LIKE carrion great sword and glint blade and phalanx and hitting bosses with a big rear end magic sword. I just have very little Vigor (25) for this particular boss. Plus it DoTs me even when it barely glances.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

The shrimp with the armored core missiles are the worst.

Prawnbros wrecked my poo poo with that for a long time, it was downright dirty to have an early teleport trap send you to the bottom of a mine so they all have the high ground on you :argh:

But eventually you get used to the audio clues and can roll through the attack pretty consistently.

All the old classics coming back :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywyll7GUG5Q

big cummers ONLY posted:

Who's got tips for killing a certain magma boi who has my katana. I'm having trouble meleeing him safely, can't read when he's going to massively aoe.

Get a decent shield. He doen't really combo anything so as long as you're rocking a 100% physical shield his non-magma attacks basically can't hurt you. For his magma attacks, you will need to recognize them and dodge accordingly. He can spit straight ahead, just run beside him and stab. If you're already beside him he can spit over either shoulder, either run past his front to the opposite side and get some more hits in or just back off.

The only really dangerous attack he has is his charge where he bounces off the walls and leaves magma everywhere. For that you just need to recognize the tell and be ready to kind of hang out beside him and lead him around the room so you don't get cornered. It's hard to describe, but he lightly tracks your location so just don't stand in the corner or you'll get pasted.

If you have a dagger, consider using it and trying to work up bleed for your damage. That's the only weapon I was ever able to actually stun him with (you get a sick eye gouge on him if you do :getin: ).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Infinity Gaia posted:

Now that I've beaten the game I've gone around and watched a couple youtubers and the like to see if any of them don't end up spamming hoarfrost stomp and the one thing I see a lot that drives me up the wall is people not picking up their map pieces. Just these ugly half-filled maps all over the place, jesus.

Honestly watching youtubers play big open world games is always going to be kind of frustrating because they are never going to play it like a person normally plays it; they are trying to make something that's entertaining for their audience to watch and a big part of that involves making sure that they are always going somewhere new. They tend to be extremely bad at thoroughly searching areas because of this, since the longer they spend rooting around digging out every last item, the more time the audience has to get bored and go watch something else instead. This is especially bad in Elden Ring where if you don't really aggressively root around every last little nook and cranny, you can end up missing entire sub-areas rather than just like, the odd unique item.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the big magma wyrm Hack is that, as far as i can tell, he only does his sideways fire belch attack on his sword side, so you can bait it, run around to the other side, run back, and keep trying to get him to burp on you until he either dies or decides to ram his head into the 3 feet of combat arena from generously gave him

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm currently at like level 30 so yeah that scans.

I really need to find somewhere to easily grind out runes. I've been farming the impassable Bridge where the demon dogs and soldiers fight each other and it's easy runes but it'll take me hours to get anywhere. Summoning into fights is nice but the return isn't amazing if you only win occasionally.

Farum great bridge, but farming is really inefficient compared to moving on to another area for most of the game.

Or, caelid big dragon

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this one is more shitposty than actual for-real lore but i still thought it was pretty funny

mimic tear description: "This spirit takes the form of the summoner to fight alongside them, but its mimicry does not extend to imitating the summoner's will.

Mimic tears are the result of an attempt by the Eternal City to forge a lord."

Mercury (e.g. quicksilver) in alchemy represents the ability to shift between life and death, and is associated with the "passive feminine principle" that is embodied in the White Queen -- Marika, in Elden Ring. So in an attempt to create an artificial Lord, Nokstella used the power of the White Queen to create a being that could shift between life and death, but which didn't necessarily obey the summoner's will.

Now ask yourself: who do we know who was summoned by Queen Marika, transitions effortlessly between life and death, is being used by her but isn't obedient to her will, and is an attempt to artificially forge an Elden Lord? :v:

????????????

Scuse?? When was Marika supposed to be a star beast thingy? Is that because of the Elden Beast? Was the Elden Beast supposed to be Marika?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Alright, now that the game is over, I can start asking stupid questions.

Who exactly was Melina? And why did she have the same eye fuckery as Ranni (opposite eye, even)? Was she supposed to be a part of Marika or something?

We don't exactly know. I speculate that she was either a) a daughter of Marika/Radagon, given her similar name to their other children, or b) a clone of Marika split off from her to take the place of Marika after she basically committed the closest thing to suicide by elder-god.

Pollyanna posted:

What exactly was the Elden Ring? Some sort of big symbol made out of magical energy matter or something?
The elden ring is, near as we can tell, the manifestation of power and godhood/demiurgical power over the planet that Elden Ring takes place on.

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently stars are actual living beings or something? e.g. Altea or whatever that void thing was? Is that what the Elden Beast was too?

I don't know if the stars themselves are living beings, but basically the Elder Gods and their manifestations are eldritch alien entities from outer space.

Pollyanna posted:

Why did Sellen turn into a face orb?
She tried to kill Rennala, failed and Rennala said gently caress you and rebirthed her into a sorcery face orb.

Pollyanna posted:

At first I thought this game was gonna have a plant vs. fungus theme, with the Erdtree (plant) being opposed by the Scarlet Rot (fungus). That isn’t really the case, but why is the Scarlet Rot a fungus anyway?

The Scarlet Rot is the effects of Melenia 'blooming' with her curse/blessing. She was basically cursed by a different Elder God (similar to the Greater Will/Frenzied Flame) which wants to spread rot.

Pollyanna posted:

What was that about Radagon’s skeleton?

I assume you're talking about the end here, but basically Marika/Radagon are the same person, but when they tried to break the Elden Ring for ??? reasons, it probably completely destroyed them, except they can't die, and I'm pretty sure the Greater Will said gently caress you for trying to do the thing you just did, and effectively hollowed them out and shoved the Elden Beast in them to apply some form of greater control over the pair

Pollyanna posted:

Who the gently caress were Goldmask and the Dung Eater, anyway? I found Dung Eater but he gave me bad vibes so I avoided him. Why does he eat poo poo?

They're reincarnated Tarnished by the Greater Will, basically some of your rivals to become Elden Lord. The Erdtree/Greater Will started ressurecting people to become an Elden Lord given that there isn't a current Lord.

Pollyanna posted:

What’s the deal with D and Fia and her ball-ache blessing?[/spoiler]

Fia is the maiden/champion of Those Who Live in Death, and seeks to bring the Rune of Death back to the Elden Ring. She seeks to raise the undead Godwyn the Golden to the title of Elden Lord. D vehemently hunts down and kills Those who Live in Death, he tried to kill Fia and failed, leading her to kill him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

There's obviously some kind of multiverse-purgatory connecting all of his main games. Sekiro was the closest thing to feeling like maybe this is a planet with living people doing life things mortally but even that was still existing in some hazy feverdream way. If the Tarnished could take shrooms and there were working mirrors in-game, then you could trip balls and see yourself as a wolf or some fashion of hollowed kindling dark souling whatever.

Broad strokes the lores between the games are all very much some Great Power Did Some Stuff But hosed Up or Got hosed Up and Now poo poo Is hosed Up Forever. There's ancient races of giants and dragons, somebody who wants chaos, somebody who wants death, somebody who desperately needs a third thang especially if getting that thing means rejecting them other shits.

They are also games about being videogames, with the purgatory the player and NPCs are trapped in being the game itself, existing to be killed, being killed to rise again, kept semi-conscious as their minds rot over time, some becoming zombie like, some trapped echoes of their pain and trauma, others becoming obsessed with certain concepts or events, like ghosts in search of their unfinished business. There's no clear answers what comes before the mysterious foggy world of the games, there is no clear answer what will come after, because those are not within the scope of the game, their existence is mythical, useful only to the imagination.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What a good day in Elden Ring, killed a guy who yesterday i thought i'd have to actually try to get good. And well, maybe i did, just a little, even if stomp to win carried me more than i want to admit. Got through him, found a whole lake of Rot and turned around. (e: note to self, actually equip that cleanse spell) Went around and did some of the evergaols i've been avoiding since like level 10, funny what 70 levels will do.

The best thing is some new Fashion Souls though.

I mean, sure i had to kill a guy for the pants and gloves, but that just happens sometimes. :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

a kitten posted:

What a good day in Elden Ring, killed a guy who yesterday i thought i'd have to actually try to get good. And well, maybe i did, just a little, even if stomp to win carried me more than i want to admit. Got through him, found a whole lake of Rot and turned around. (e: note to self, actually equip that cleanse spell) Went around and did some of the evergaols i've been avoiding since like level 10, funny what 70 levels will do.

The best thing is some new Fashion Souls though.

I mean, sure i had to kill a guy for the pants and gloves, but that just happens sometimes. :shrug:

This is what I wore to beat a boss due to resistances it's a strong look

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, uh, Millicent's quest line Gowry's her dad? Also, it seems like just flat out killing her after getting that sick talisman from her is the best route because the needle blows unless you somehow accidentally chaos yourself.

berenzen posted:

She tried to kill Rennala, failed and Rennala said gently caress you and rebirthed her into a sorcery face orb.

I'm not sure if that one's entirely true. The Graven Mass/School talismans say: "The primeval current is a forbidden tradition of glintstone sorcery. To those who cleave to its teachings, the act of collecting sorcerers to fashion them into the seeds of stars is but another path of scientific inquiry." and the entire goal of her quest was to reassemble her sick hacker team of rogue primeval magic obsessed mages. I interpreted it as she did exactly what she planned to do, but didn't realize that what she planned to do was what a fw hundred other people have done and was just going to resort in the three of them, and their followers, turning into a stupid ball of faces.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I don’t know why this is supposed to be DS2 2 when nearly every gameplay addition to DS2 is removed akin to DS3 and is more in line with that and BB and Sekiro.

It’s no more a realised Draglic than Boletaria.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Wait for Matthewmatosis to make a video on Why Elden Ring Is Bad Actually and everyone will copy his opinions, just like they did with Dark Souls 2.

hbomberguy account spotted

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
They should have used the speak to NPC at the site of grace for all quest line NPC's. Just let them appear give you a bit of backstory and let you know their next quest trigger is close by.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So, uh, Millicent's quest line Gowry's her dad? Also, it seems like just flat out killing her after getting that sick talisman from her is the best route because the needle blows unless you somehow accidentally chaos yourself.

I'm not sure if that one's entirely true. The Graven Mass/School talismans say: "The primeval current is a forbidden tradition of glintstone sorcery. To those who cleave to its teachings, the act of collecting sorcerers to fashion them into the seeds of stars is but another path of scientific inquiry." and the entire goal of her quest was to reassemble her sick hacker team of rogue primeval magic obsessed mages. I interpreted it as she did exactly what she planned to do, but didn't realize that what she planned to do was what a fw hundred other people have done and was just going to resort in the three of them, and their followers, turning into a stupid ball of faces.

Chaosing yourself owns, always do it. Saves Melina, gets you cool scars, and you can literally just undo it at the last second.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also as I recall, they all but say outright that Mohg is interdimensionally prodding one of the Lovecraft monsters from Bloodborne to power his magic

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 13, 2022

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well, gently caress. I'm stuck in Sellia Crystal Tunnel. Literally stuck, in the geometry. "Fell" into a small crack in the cave floor, and I can't get out. Twenty minutes of running, rolling, jumping, using several different weapon arts that do jump/flip attacks but I cannot get unstuck.

And because it's Sellia Tunnel ..I can't teleport out. And it happened right as I killed the last loving laser bug. I don't know what to do. I've quit and reloaded, I've invaded another world, but I keep returning to the same spot and can't move.

My only hope is waiting for a random invader to kill me, I think? How the hell do I kill myself? At least DS1 had dung pies.

Edit: Just remembered the Memory of Grace... Thank God I only had a couple thousand runes I lost and not tens of thousands.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 13, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, gently caress. I'm stuck in Sellia Crystal Tunnel. Literally stuck, in the geometry. "Fell" into a small crack in the cave floor, and I can't get out. Twenty minutes of running, rolling, jumping, using several different weapon arts that do jump/flip attacks but I cannot get unstuck.

And because it's Sellia Tunnel ..I can't teleport out. And it happened right as I killed the last loving laser bug. I don't know what to do. I've quit and reloaded, I've invaded another world, but I keep returning to the same spot and can't move.

My only hope is waiting for a random invader to kill me, I think? How the hell do I kill myself? At least DS1 had dung pies.

I jumped into a bit that jammed me in sellia and the game mercifully killed me after a few seconds lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Use your dark sign?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Starting to think level 125, max level weapons are not enough for Ordina.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
dont u start game with a kill yourself, go to grace thing?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

DrBouvenstein posted:

Use your darksign equivalent item to respawn yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Can you use the item that returns you to the last Grace without your runes