Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Saganlives posted:

This bothered me enough I was specifically looking for it today while playing. Seemed to be working fine for me?

Interesting, and the event where you get new knights from it was working? I had it on for decades and received exactly zero new knights from it. There's a bunch of people on the forums saying the same thing too.

PancakeTransmission posted:

Norse are so OP. Along with combining cultures to get a bunch of good culture traditions and picking the Norse dynasty legacies, I have multiple berserkers at 48 prowess without any items equipped. In fact, my top 9 best knights are all over 30 prowess.

Yeah they're outrageously good. They also start with all the best innovations (with the exception of Onager). Varangian Veterans are stupidly overpowered and hireable in infinite numbers right in 867 for whatever reason. Couple it with access to Raiding and even the idea of balance just flies completely out the window.

Varangian adventures are pretty cool though :shrug:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I noticed some of the side effects going off (like improved prowess), but they're still too rare just like before. Like, I haven't had the new commander event go off in like 150 years. There's a bug report on their forum that shows the scripting problem. I hope they don't wait for another big bundle of changes to get it right, but I guess there are always mods.

There's also some weird poo poo going on with CoA, but it hasn't gotten too annoying yet.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Interesting, and the event where you get new knights from it was working? I had it on for decades and received exactly zero new knights from it. There's a bunch of people on the forums saying the same thing too.

I did not see new knights, no. I did see several knights get upgraded prowess though, and assumed the rest was working too. That'll teach me to assume.

Just for the record tho, I had a 22 martial councilor and he upgraded three knights over the course of like 2 years.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And actually come to think of it the other events from councillor tasks don't seem to ever fire either?

The ones that fire silently in the side scrolling list there are fine, but none of the major events seem to work at all.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

And actually come to think of it the other events from councillor tasks don't seem to ever fire either?

The ones that fire silently in the side scrolling list there are fine, but none of the major events seem to work at all.

I've seen these major ones personally today when playing:
  • Increase Vassal Opinion and Improved Feudal Contract from Domestic Affairs
  • Cultural Acceptance Boost from Promote Cultural Acceptance
  • Claim on Duchy from Fabricate Claim

I think there's some sort of scripting error on Train Commanders though, it has the wrong on_action linked.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is the AI able to handle Crusades with the improvements?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
That I didint see yet but the AI surely looks more aggressive. Got 2 wars declared on me very early in the game

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
What do you mean handle? Is it a coordination problem?

In my game after the patch the catholics declared an early crusade to take back Rome from me. They attacked with about half their troops first wave. Then after I beat them back they entered with most of their troops. They lost because norse are overpowered especially with adventurer event troops available. But seemed to me that they made a decent attempt.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

They also start with all the best innovations (with the exception of Onager).

Is there a list somewhere of which innovations a culture starts with? I hate having to wait a century to discover torsion-powered rock-throwing siege machines!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, norse is still too OP. But only as the player, the AI suck at it

Speaking about it, I started a game as count of Isle of Mann and in 30 years I managed to enable that decision to "Elevate the Kingdom of Mann & the Isles ". But I didint realized I will become feudal immediately, which I didint wanted cause seems way too soon to lose the tribal advantages. But the bonuses are so powerful its ok

But also it made me realize I can still raid as feudal, for some reason I was thought it was tribal only. But is not the same when you paying gold for troops so most if not all gold you make raiding is lost to that

edit: really the most valuable thing you get from raids is not the gold, but the massive amounts of prestige you get from battles while raiding. And that is not nearly as valuable anymore when you turn feudal

edi 2: vvvvvvvvvvvv ahh so thats why I can still raid

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 12, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Mann decision has a bunch of free addons to it, including being able to raid for the next 100 years. (And that 9k stack of MAA)

Once you take that decision you can basically just go raid with levies, as raiding cares about quantity not quality, so as long as you keep picking on little guys like Spain you'll be fine.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Hryme posted:

What do you mean handle? Is it a coordination problem?

In my game after the patch the catholics declared an early crusade to take back Rome from me. They attacked with about half their troops first wave. Then after I beat them back they entered with most of their troops. They lost because norse are overpowered especially with adventurer event troops available. But seemed to me that they made a decent attempt.

I've never seen the Catholics successfully take Jerusalem. The only Crusades the AI seems capable of winning are against small heretic offshoots

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No Pants posted:

I noticed some of the side effects going off (like improved prowess), but they're still too rare just like before. Like, I haven't had the new commander event go off in like 150 years. There's a bug report on their forum that shows the scripting problem. I hope they don't wait for another big bundle of changes to get it right, but I guess there are always mods.

This mod indeed fixes Train Commanders and a few other script bugs the modder has noticed in their other work.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm pretty sure feudals can also still raid if they're following any unreformed religion.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Moreau posted:

I've never seen the Catholics successfully take Jerusalem. The only Crusades the AI seems capable of winning are against small heretic offshoots

In my game that just finished, they successfully won the first crusade and then held onto the kingdom of Jerusalem until eventually one of my vassals conquered it in around 1300. It's super dependent on how organized the two sides are (like, are the Abbasids organized or are they in the midst of a shitload of faction conflicts).

They eventually launched crusades against me and I won them but they took a lot of management. The only real thing they do wrong is not just splitting into a million 5k stacks and just simultaneously siege down everything.

Instead they tend to concentrate slightly to allow them to form a huge doom stack if needed; sieging down 5 or 6 provinces at once instead of like 20. This works against the AI or anyone that hasn't abused MaA stacking since the mid to late game stacks can be 150k+ with a decent amount of MaA.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, norse is still too OP. But only as the player, the AI suck at it

Yea the AI is soft coded not to raid very often, like once every few years, which completely hamstrings them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The AI fails at all crusades and the only ones that have been successful is when I get involved and try to be smart about it. If it is late enough to just send in 5k MaA terminators to murder all the infidels then I easy Holy War.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Haven't played the current patch but before I saw crusades win all the time.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

In my current game I looked over and saw Catholic Jerusalem a few decades in (1066 start).

wit
Jul 26, 2011

SlothBear posted:

Yeah absolutely nothing runs like it did historically anymore because William the Conqueror has an elven cap of invisibility and The Pope wants it at all costs. Or some such poo poo like that. The mcguffins and fairly arbitrary buffs have done poo poo that'd make Marty McFly blush to the timeline.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

I hadn't touched Crusader Kings in a long time but decided to try again with the new DLC. Went with the classic Apulian start and after unifying Sicily my wife Sichelgaita is pregnant with the child of a rebelling duke. After suppressing the rebellion and executing the rake I release Sichelgaita and her new bastard from prison. I was too old and without enough piety to make divorce worth it, only for her to commit adultery again but with my niece. Then out of the blue my daughter-in-law solves the problem by murdering her.

It's good to be back.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Everybody should read this guy's "review" posts (there's a bunch of them in the thread) Not really about 1.5 necessarily but deeply entertaining: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/my-patch-1-5-review.1509797/

quote:

I unlock the Large Levies perk. I am disappointed to learn it makes them more numerous, not physically bigger.

The emperor dies. I can no longer learn Dutch by "emulating" him. I can instead emulate the King of France, who I have never met, or some random 80-year-old Count. The new emperor (who absolutely does speak Dutch) is not among my options. This system makes perfect sense and has certainly not been shoe-horned awkwardly into a scheme framework that was never designed with language learning in mind.

My grandson is ill, and has been poorly treated to boot. His health is "fine", and there is zero chance of him dying.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 13, 2022

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

PittTheElder posted:

Everybody should read this guy's "review" posts (there's a bunch of them in the thread) Not really about 1.5 necessarily but deeply entertaining: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/my-patch-1-5-review.1509797/

Amazing and also depressing.

e: dumb q: is there a way to filter that thread to just the OP's posts? ended up just paging through and CTRL-f'ing

alcaras fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 13, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

alcaras posted:

Amazing and also depressing.

e: dumb q: is there a way to filter that thread to just the OP's posts? ended up just paging through and CTRL-f'ing

I didn't see any way to do that. I do agree that was an amazing read.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Man. I was really hoping this game would be approaching CK2 levels of fun at this point.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SlothBear posted:

The only crusades I ever saw being won in CK3 had my participation

But I guess is pretty random when is just AI on both sides, it all depends on where and when the stacks will happen to meet

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I don't see what's so great about CK2. I can't even imagine going back to it after playing CK3. CK2 was equally as nonsensical in the same areas CK3 is, if not more so. It did have a lot more absurd hard blocks that prevented me from playing the way I wanted to play, though, which is thankfully not the case in CK3.

I remember one of my most memorable moments in CK2 was when there was a child antipope. Because of this antipope, Moral Authority for Catholicism was crashing, causing all sorts of problems. So I started a murder scheme against them. Dozens of people instantly joined this scheme, because everyone despises children in CK2 for some reason.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I miss the societies from CK2, and am still bitter at them reselling CK2 content back to us.

Still enjoying 3 though, and it is definitely an improvement.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
From CK2 I miss societies a bit and the conclave council. Also, the republics and trade; and anything non-chirstian or non-norse was more fleshed out. But Im pretty sure well get there in time

The AI is still a bit worse too and I think CK2 handled retinues better than CK3 does MaA (more balanced and made more sense), which dont works the way they seems to have intended it (edit: yes, it is very fun to destroy the AI with OP super specialized MaA but it is also ridiculous and unfair since the AI wont do the same)

Also some silly little things like bloodlines, saints etc

But it is already a better game than CK2, imo

edit: oh, also miss the ledgers. I love rankings, I love to see who is stronger, larger, who killed more etc, all this kinda of stuff. CK3 l was a major step back on that and I dont understand why. Is an easy feature with no gameplay impact

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 13, 2022

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I think I miss doing weird stuff with tribals and nomads in CK2 the most.

Like I started doing a pretty normal Germanic pagan to Siciliy thing and ended up spending a few games figuring out the best way to fully replace Catholicism with the Fraticelli heresy and exile the old pope to a church in Malta as my vassal. Try to demand that I give back the bones of St. Peter now, jerk.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Elias_Maluco posted:

The only crusades I ever saw being won in CK3 had my participation

But I guess is pretty random when is just AI on both sides, it all depends on where and when the stacks will happen to meet

I just helped win a crusade and got my beneficiary installed as Queen of Jerusalem. The Muslims seemed really weak this time as the Catholics easily outnumbered them, which helped. I didn’t even send that big of a force, but somehow came in first.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

edit: oh, also miss the ledgers. I love rankings, I love to see who is stronger, larger, who killed more etc, all this kinda of stuff. CK3 l was a major step back on that and I dont understand why. Is an easy feature with no gameplay impact

This is my most missed feature and I don’t get why they didn’t include it this time around. It doesn’t seem like it would be terribly difficult to put in, but maybe it’s one of those small things the devs don’t really care about unless they have extra time. I miss the scrolling logout screen of all your characters too.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I hope the next expansion pack replaces the development system with something else. It might just be that I like playing tall, small, orderly domains but it's not a fun mechanic when you just have to figure out how to best stack +% bonuses.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I want nomads or church politics. No nomad gov or catholic politics system is "major fail"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

wizardofloneliness posted:

This is my most missed feature and I don’t get why they didn’t include it this time around. It doesn’t seem like it would be terribly difficult to put in, but maybe it’s one of those small things the devs don’t really care about unless they have extra time. I miss the scrolling logout screen of all your characters too.

Yeah I loved that too

It was nice to see all your ancestors and how they compared in prestige

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

I want nomads or church politics. No nomad gov or catholic politics system is "major fail"

Very much hoping for a nomad focused pack myself.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

I miss the ledger as well. I remember very early in the CK3 development cycle one of the devs said that they hate the ledger, and won't be having it in the game, so that's why it's not there. I'm guessing by now the entire CK3 team has changed, so it would be nice if they brought it back with the next major patch.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

binge crotching posted:

I miss the ledger as well. I remember very early in the CK3 development cycle one of the devs said that they hate the ledger, and won't be having it in the game, so that's why it's not there. I'm guessing by now the entire CK3 team has changed, so it would be nice if they brought it back with the next major patch.

That’s a weird feature to hate, seeing as it doesn’t actually do anything other than provide information, but oh well I guess.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
They haven't included a ledger in most of their recent games. The reasoning if I remember correctly is that it encouraged them to be lazy on ux design and that all of that information should be shown in the appropriate places instead of just throwing them all into a big list. Don't see what prevents them from doing both but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Really thankful for the Scandinavian Election succession vote option. My current king is ~67, and he had twin sons who were useless fucks that I disinherited. My third son was a stud with the Intelligent trait, but suddenly my concubines flooded my bloodlines with spawn who were going to split up my three kingdoms (Sweden, Norway, Denmark).

One vote decision later and my son will inherit all of my titles without having to kill or disinherit my 4 and 6 year olds.