Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I had one of those home energy audits done and found out that my upstairs is just sheetrock -> original insulation -> exterior plywood. This means the gables in the roof (the ones inaccessible from the attic, the kind where they'd have to drill or knock down walls to see what's behind them) are probably the same setup. That plus older (1980s/1990s) vinyl windows in original window boxes means my upstairs is pretty darn cold and hot when it oughtn't be. Case in point - I took an unused phone jack off the wall and cold air blew in almost immediately.

Should I be looking at spray foam insulation for the gables? I had my attic insulation redone a few years back with all new fiberglass batts, which helped a bit for the lower floors, but nothing was done about the gables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MJP posted:

I had one of those home energy audits done and found out that my upstairs is just sheetrock -> original insulation -> exterior plywood. This means the gables in the roof (the ones inaccessible from the attic, the kind where they'd have to drill or knock down walls to see what's behind them) are probably the same setup. That plus older (1980s/1990s) vinyl windows in original window boxes means my upstairs is pretty darn cold and hot when it oughtn't be. Case in point - I took an unused phone jack off the wall and cold air blew in almost immediately.

Should I be looking at spray foam insulation for the gables? I had my attic insulation redone a few years back with all new fiberglass batts, which helped a bit for the lower floors, but nothing was done about the gables.

That home energy audit company should be able to tell you how to fix it. Probably with blown in cellulose.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The tree lady came over and said only the trees in the front yard need trimming, and only one was potentially in someone else's property. I just knocked on the neighbor's door and they said they don't know whose property it is either and they don't care. We're getting about 3 trees trimmed for about $350. And yeah the trees provide a TON of shade and sight-blocking: our porch and the neighbors porch are all raised, since our houses are on a slope and the basement leads to the back yard. So you have a nice view from the porch of 2 other porches, and 3 other back yards. Our PO's planted a ton of trees, which, when they have leaves will block the view of lots of the other porches. (Decks?)

The tree lady also said "this one is ash. Most of the ash trees in the neighborhood have something beetles, but this one seems fine". When looking at 2 of the sight-blocking backyard trees: "these are russian olives. They're very horrible trees".

The gutter people said they had to reschedule because we still have snow on our house from earlier this week. That works fine with me: I'd rather get the trees trimmed first before I get the gutters cleaned and sealed. Trees are getting trimmed because they block the gutters. I bet some will fall into the gutters so that's for the best.

Thanks to the people who suggested ceramic window tinting a few months ago. We're definitely going to need that done in the summer. at least 3 rooms in the house are loving BOILING during the day, one of which is a baby's bedroom. The heat is all from the window, not from the wall around the window.

edit: thanks Stormdrain! VVVVV I emailed them about that.

redreader fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 11, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ask your tree folks about protecting your ash. They can give it a treatment that lasts a couple of years.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MJP posted:

It's best to think of the gable vents, soffit vents, attic space, walls, crawlspace/foundation, basement, etc. and their vents, fans, etc. as all functioning components of a system, rather than as discrete areas. Nobody can really tell you exactly whether or how to insulate the gables without understanding the rest of the system and how its working.

For example, with my house, the walls have no insulation. The exterior walls have stucco applied to fabric, and the vacant channels in the walls are left open intentionally, to allow air to flow up from the crawlspace into the attic, also air flows in through vents above the cieling level under the soffits, and then out via the vents high on the gable ends plus the attic exhaust fan near the crest of the roofline. It is possible to insulate the exterior walls - remove all the drywall, add insulation, put on a vapor barrier, and then put up new drywall. But, if we do that, we've blocked part of the airflow system. It'd be important to make sure the airflow still works in the attic (which may get hotter in the summer), and it may be necessary to either seal & insulate the floors, or install fans in the crawlspace, or both, to ensure the crawlspace is not now trapping moisture that rots out the floors.

So the home energy audit company can identify where you're losing heat, and they may be able to tell you how to engineer insulation and fans and vents etc. to improve the thermal envelope while also not creating a moisture or heat or cold trap outside that envelope. Or, they may need to refer you to an insulation expert/HVAC expert to do that level of evaluation for you. If your house is typical for your area, there should be experts in your area who are experienced with doing that. Here in this thread, we might be able to help, but we'll need the details of how your house is put together, and we still could make an important error if some important detail is missed.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

It's best to think of the gable vents, soffit vents, attic space, walls, crawlspace/foundation, basement, etc. and their vents, fans, etc. as all functioning components of a system, rather than as discrete areas. Nobody can really tell you exactly whether or how to insulate the gables without understanding the rest of the system and how its working.

For example, with my house, the walls have no insulation. The exterior walls have stucco applied to fabric, and the vacant channels in the walls are left open intentionally, to allow air to flow up from the crawlspace into the attic, also air flows in through vents above the cieling level under the soffits, and then out via the vents high on the gable ends plus the attic exhaust fan near the crest of the roofline. It is possible to insulate the exterior walls - remove all the drywall, add insulation, put on a vapor barrier, and then put up new drywall. But, if we do that, we've blocked part of the airflow system. It'd be important to make sure the airflow still works in the attic (which may get hotter in the summer), and it may be necessary to either seal & insulate the floors, or install fans in the crawlspace, or both, to ensure the crawlspace is not now trapping moisture that rots out the floors.

So the home energy audit company can identify where you're losing heat, and they may be able to tell you how to engineer insulation and fans and vents etc. to improve the thermal envelope while also not creating a moisture or heat or cold trap outside that envelope. Or, they may need to refer you to an insulation expert/HVAC expert to do that level of evaluation for you. If your house is typical for your area, there should be experts in your area who are experienced with doing that. Here in this thread, we might be able to help, but we'll need the details of how your house is put together, and we still could make an important error if some important detail is missed.

Any pointers would be appreciated, because the auditor definitely didn't tell me anything about what to do about the insulation. He said that spray-foam insulation would be a good idea for the walls in our upstairs offices, which had the cold-air-blowing-in wall jack, but he definitely didn't really talk much about insulation as part of a larger system.

If there is wisdom to be had in the thread I'd love to get it. The house is a 1949 Cape style, a clone of many that came up in this area after the war. I don't think we have any soffits, at least not of the type that comes up via googling "soffit". We have an attic fan that kicks on via a thermostat - I think at 80 degrees, the fan goes on. We've got new (2016-2017, I think) fiberglass insulation batts in the attic joists and walls. Behind the 2nd floor walls, there's some form of insulation batt - brown paper vapor barrier, yellow fibers behind it. The newer insulation helped keep the first floor temp regulated - the kitchen had a dining area added on, which resulted in a sorta crawlspace under it that was open to the outside and basement. We covered the exterior of said crawlspace and left it to breathe into the basement. Lots of cold air hung out in the kitchen.

HVAC is gas forced-air, central air unit is about 15 years old.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
https://www.9news.com/article/money...35-3bae227897b3

HOAs! Not even once.

quote:

The big house he purchased in 2013 represented a new era for him, but a conflict over an old Volkswagen is threatening his stability. In February, Gilkey’s Home Owners Association, the Green Valley Ranch Master HOA, served him a court summons that alleged he broke neighborhood covenants by parking the yellow VW Bug on a concrete pad next to his garage. In a worst-case scenario, the HOA could foreclose on his home and eliminate every cent of equity he’s invested into it.

quote:

In 2021, 96 homeowners in Denver went to court in cases against their HOAs, the highest in our analysis of the data, which began at 2010. Fifty-two of these cases were brought by the Green Valley Ranch Master HOA.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I bought into an HOA and was really scared that there may be Problems, but one of the rules is 'never park overnight on the road outside your house' and like, lots of cars loving live on the road without ever being moved. Looks like the only time the HOA does anything is when the park needs cleanup / roads need to be cleaned, or you want to do alterations on your house and have to apply for a permit. Other stuff like pets/cars/ a giant camper being parked on the road outside your house for a month, is not an issue at all even though it is in the books.

Thank God.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

redreader posted:

I bought into an HOA and was really scared that there may be Problems, but one of the rules is 'never park overnight on the road outside your house' and like, lots of cars loving live on the road without ever being moved. Looks like the only time the HOA does anything is when the park needs cleanup / roads need to be cleaned, or you want to do alterations on your house and have to apply for a permit. Other stuff like pets/cars/ a giant camper being parked on the road outside your house for a month, is not an issue at all even though it is in the books.

Thank God.

For now. At any point a bunch of busybodies could get elected onto the board and all of that will change.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Soooo. Our house's only heating is one gas fireplace, plus plug-in electric heaters. (No, we're not going to redo the house to have any sort of central system. It has non-replaceable wall finishes that I'm not willing to damage, it's two stories, and it's in a moderate climate. It dates to 1931 and that comes with quirks. )

The fireplace hasn't worked properly since August; it will only come on at low flame, and during winds/storms it often won't come on at all.. We had a fireplace repairman in twice last fall. The second time (which he refused to let us pay for, because he didn't fix the problem) he discovered that the problem was with the venting/intake in the roof. That was November. We made an appointment with the local company that does chimney work and has people who will work on the roof. The appointment to figure out what was wrong was canceled once. When the people got there, they said that the input and output air for the gas stove were two tubes wired to a plastic cutting board and wedged into the chimney. We made an appointment to get the chimney worked on. That appointment was also canceled once. This week, huzzah (yes, it's March, winter's almost over) the repair people came and did work. They wound up replacing the air vent that went up the chimney, which was punctured, and putting in proper roof caps on the roof. At the end of the work, the repair guy called me in to show me that the fireplace worked, which it did, huzzah. He then asked where the remote was, and I said that I didn't know, but it had been on the wall when they started work. We verified that it was still on the wall. He tested it, then said "Okay", opened the grate under the fireplace, fiddled something, took the check, and departed.

After he'd left, I tried turning on the fireplace and couldn't. Five minutes earlier it had worked. We called the office; the office said the workmen were on their way to their next job in EvenSmallerTown, most of the route to which has no cell coverage; they had sent messages, but it was possible the workmen wouldn't see them until they reached the other town, an hour away. I demanded that somebody come in the next day to fix it, because we had paid them for a working fireplace and hadn't gotten one. They said that wasn't possible, because the repairmen weren't scheduled to be on the coast that day. (We're in a very rural area. There aren't many workmen to go around, so you take what you're scheduled for and bide your time.) I was passed on to the supervisor, who reiterated the situation.

My husband and I vented to each other. Then I mentioned the twiddling again. He decided to lie down on the floor and look at the grate again.

Ladies, gentlemen, and people: He'd turned the fireplace off.

The switch had three positions, "on", "remote", and "off", and he'd turned it off.

Fireplace works now, but not until our blood pressures, which had been high all day from the stress of having workmen in the house and keeping the cat from getting into the working area, had skyrocketed. I had a mid-afternoon hard cider.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

For now. At any point a bunch of busybodies could get elected onto the board and all of that will change.

Yuuuuup. Over the course of ~14 years my HOA went from screeching mad about the mere presence of a Volvo 240 that had the audacity to leak oil, to not really caring what happened, to issuing loving street parking permits and obliterating the roads with speed bumps that my Jeep had to crawl over.

Never loving again.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Motronic posted:

BINGO!

redreader posted:

Thank God.

You should really try to get the Board to update the CCR's and remove the rules that aren't even being enforced anyway. All it takes is a leadership change to start enforcing the rules on the books, and everyone is in for a rough time. It's not hard to update the HOA rules. The docs should have a process to follow and then file the update with the county recorder.

I'm ambivelant on HOA's, I live in an HOA community, but I read every single page of the CCR's before I bought my house. I knew exactly what I could and could not do, and I knowingly agreed to these rules.

I read the linked article. Fronzo agreed to the rules when he bought the house. You can't agree to a set of rules, like no parking immobile/unregistered cars outside and then proceed to get pissed off and not respond to things because he "took moral issue with the charges" (I'm assuming his yellow VW bug was an older project car that was not currently registered and was immobile, as most HOA's forbid that, but putting it in his garage should be ok)

Long story short, if you don't agree with the rules, don't buy the house. You can't agree to the rules and then get pissed off when they get enforced. These days finding truly unrestricted land is getting more difficult. In my area even non HOA areas have deed restrictions, and then there are various city and county ordinances you have to comply with.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

MJP posted:

Any pointers would be appreciated, because the auditor definitely didn't tell me anything about what to do about the insulation. He said that spray-foam insulation would be a good idea for the walls in our upstairs offices, which had the cold-air-blowing-in wall jack, but he definitely didn't really talk much about insulation as part of a larger system.

If there is wisdom to be had in the thread I'd love to get it. The house is a 1949 Cape style, a clone of many that came up in this area after the war. I don't think we have any soffits, at least not of the type that comes up via googling "soffit". We have an attic fan that kicks on via a thermostat - I think at 80 degrees, the fan goes on. We've got new (2016-2017, I think) fiberglass insulation batts in the attic joists and walls. Behind the 2nd floor walls, there's some form of insulation batt - brown paper vapor barrier, yellow fibers behind it. The newer insulation helped keep the first floor temp regulated - the kitchen had a dining area added on, which resulted in a sorta crawlspace under it that was open to the outside and basement. We covered the exterior of said crawlspace and left it to breathe into the basement. Lots of cold air hung out in the kitchen.

HVAC is gas forced-air, central air unit is about 15 years old.

So this is a big question, and depends a lot on climate and design intent of the home. Modern thought has a roof deck that is well ventilated with an attic that is well insulated, but air flow is paramount. Then the living space is not vented to the attic space, and if it is this is very troublesome. The intent is to keep the roof deck the same temp as the outside air and prevent ice dams and shingle curling. This works great with modern building materials.

Go back a ways and people tried to totally seal the attic and prevent any air flow, and they kind of got by because everything was so leaky. Air infiltrated everywhere as there was no tyvek or house wrap just tar paper if you are lucky. So you end up with a shitload of icicles and huge ice dams and shingles that curl from the heat. Your house breathes and that vent fan has to pull air from somewhere. Is it inside air? Is it outside air? Is it just recirculating the attic air and not doing anything? :iiam:

The air is coming from somewhere, and that might be from the interior of your house where it draws outside air inside.

Worst case scenario you had modern houses made of SIP's without any attic, but a shitload of insulation. But these panels weren't sealed properly because of real life constraints and contractors being budget conscious. So every air gap allowed warm air from inside to meet cold air from outside and whammo, condensation under the roof decking. It was so bad that these homes had to be re-roofed and re-paneled.

If you have a living space upstairs then you are limited in how much air flow and insulation you can pack into the ceiling. Now you are into roofer land where they can add rigid foam and a ventilated gap for the deck. Spray foam in the walls does two things, one is to insulate but the other is to add an impermeable barrier. If you already have R13 or whatever insulation then going to spray foam (R3.7/in for open cell or R6.5/in for closed cell) is only going to get you a bit more insulation at best. But what it really does is prevent inside/outside air from moving. No drafts from outside to steal your heat. Ideally the outside of the home would be properly sheathed and tape sealed. This is hard to do right, while glopping in spray foam is easier.

I'd find a not lovely insulation contractor and explain your situation and see what they recommend. The answer will be different if you are in Florida, New Jersey, or Minnesota.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

skipdogg posted:

BINGO!

You should really try to get the Board to update the CCR's and remove the rules that aren't even being enforced anyway. All it takes is a leadership change to start enforcing the rules on the books, and everyone is in for a rough time. It's not hard to update the HOA rules. The docs should have a process to follow and then file the update with the county recorder.

I'm ambivelant on HOA's, I live in an HOA community, but I read every single page of the CCR's before I bought my house. I knew exactly what I could and could not do, and I knowingly agreed to these rules.

I read the linked article. Fronzo agreed to the rules when he bought the house. You can't agree to a set of rules, like no parking immobile/unregistered cars outside and then proceed to get pissed off and not respond to things because he "took moral issue with the charges" (I'm assuming his yellow VW bug was an older project car that was not currently registered and was immobile, as most HOA's forbid that, but putting it in his garage should be ok)

Long story short, if you don't agree with the rules, don't buy the house. You can't agree to the rules and then get pissed off when they get enforced. These days finding truly unrestricted land is getting more difficult. In my area even non HOA areas have deed restrictions, and then there are various city and county ordinances you have to comply with.

I agree. Don't buy a house in an HOA. At least I won't. Until I don't have a choice.

Turns out most of us don't get many choices in life. When it comes to it, buy or not buy feels like a choice, and then what you can afford and where you want to squeezes it down to either buy this one house or continue to rent.

The article makes no mention of the state of the car. It can just as easily be a working car and they don't allow any parking not in front of the garage.

Do you think it's right to foreclose on someone for putting a washing machine out and having a project car parked next to the house? I personally don't think anyone should be kicked out of their home for any aesthetic issue. I think HOAs should be banned. Having nearly all home ownership tied to HOAs is gatekeeping, it's a tool of racism, it's a tool for discrimination. Leave enforcement to a real government.

gently caress HOAs and if you live in one you are obligated to take it over and dissolve it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yep. I intentionally found an older (90s) neighborhood without a HOA and I'm quite happy about it. Bonus, the lots are each 1+ acre vs the 0.2 acre postage stamps of the new construction options.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My HOA is very involved in the big neighborhood where all the board members live but took months of badgering to replace a broken fence in my area.

It’s also a good example of American networking. When my area was being built, they were going to build a park and playground at the cul-de-sac that backed up to a green belt. Then the HOA president told his buddy about it and he went to the developer and convinced them to sell him the land so he could build a big house with no immediate neighbors instead of a park for the community.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Our HOA is either the best, or the worst. Changing a rule requires a quorum of property owners, of which there are 800+ units. We inherited rules from the builder, many of which everyone hates, many of which need updating because they don't make sense.

But because there are so many rental units/out-of-town Brazilian owners, quorum has never been reached in the three years that residents took over running the HOA. It's nearly impossible. So the rules remain, enforcement is nearly impossible (because the builder doesn't want to enforce poo poo, they make it hard to do so....and we can't change it without the quorum), and keyboard warriors in the Facebook group bitch and moan all the time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

StormDrain posted:

Leave enforcement to a real government.

Just LOL. I live in Texas, you think the government is any better?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

skipdogg posted:

BINGO!

The biggest problem IMO with HOAs is the selective enforcement aspect. Most HOA CCRs are written such that they have maximum power to do things but zero actual obligation/responsibility to do things. E.g. your neighbor plants a grove of pine trees that are going to grow to 40' tall and become a massive wildfire hazard, check your CCRs because it probably says they can deny landscaping approval for things like this not that they have to deny landscaping approval for things like this so when the boob in charge of approving landscaping just rubber stamps everything without even looking at it, your only likely recourse is lawyers i.e. $$$.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

HOAs delenda est.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Okay, now what happens when said busybodies get elected to the board and start adding rules you never agreed to but are somehow enforceable with zero outside oversight? This is a real thing that has happened.

StormDrain posted:

Do you think it's right to foreclose on someone for putting a washing machine out and having a project car parked next to the house? I personally don't think anyone should be kicked out of their home for any aesthetic issue. I think HOAs should be banned. Having nearly all home ownership tied to HOAs is gatekeeping, it's a tool of racism, it's a tool for discrimination. Leave enforcement to a real government.

gently caress HOAs and if you live in one you are obligated to take it over and dissolve it.

Yeah, pretty much all of this. Even when a "modern" HOA that is not necessarily a tool of discrimination (but certainly still can be!) is typically a concession from the developer to the local government to get the zoning change needed to turn a farm field into high density shitboxes. The government picks up the property taxes and the homeowners don't get all of the government services the other non-HOA residents get and instead have to pay for them out of their own pockets for things like maintaining roads and drainage. The developer does not care, because they will be gone soon. But the residents are left with this quasi-municipal-government that must be run, roads that must be maintained or the local government is typically authorized to come in and do those things and bill the homeowners. At least those are the typical HOA concessions to the zoning hearing boards around here.

And again, the scariest part is no oversight and the possibility of busybodies getting on the board. It doesn't matter what your HOA looks like now. All it takes the the right number of bored retired boomers getting together to make your life hell and put your home in jeopardy. Pay less attention to the current rules at the time of your potential purchase and more at the deed restrictions on your home and the vast number of problems that can cause.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
We reluctantly joined a 2 unit HOA that's basically a way for deciding how we should prioritize shared expenses and improvements.

I think technically we have 55% of the voting rights because we have slightly more than half of the house but honestly there are no rules, it's more about how we pay for the master insurance and doing the gutters.

Beyond an arrangement like that I would never join a HOA because of all the above mentioned issues.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Stolen from the OSHA thread.

https://imgur.com/V4kz4Ew

I've seen more than one of these in my place.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Yeah, pretty much all of this. Even when a "modern" HOA that is not necessarily a tool of discrimination (but certainly still can be!) is typically a concession from the developer to the local government to get the zoning change needed to turn a farm field into high density shitboxes. The government picks up the property taxes and the homeowners don't get all of the government services the other non-HOA residents get and instead have to pay for them out of their own pockets for things like maintaining roads and drainage. The developer does not care, because they will be gone soon. But the residents are left with this quasi-municipal-government that must be run, roads that must be maintained or the local government is typically authorized to come in and do those things and bill the homeowners. At least those are the typical HOA concessions to the zoning hearing boards around here.

We have both a HOA which does the stuff on our building (building takes up the whole block, so the block, really) but I also pay $35/mo towards the "development maintenance corp" and they do street cleaning + sidewalk pressure wash+ sidewalk pedestrian trashcans for a ~20 block neighborhood, the city does nothing for us except the street lights and road surfaces

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

skipdogg posted:

Just LOL. I live in Texas, you think the government is any better?

I’m sure you won’t mind if they put a pipeline through your living room use it as a table

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Elephanthead posted:

I’m sure you won’t mind if they put a pipeline through your living room use it as a table

Jokes on you, Texas would never spend money on installing new infrastructure

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Neighbors son lives in a development with a HOA. They threatened a lien on his house because two bushes in his front yard were dead and one was above 18” in height. This is what happens when the busy bodies get elected to the HOA.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If you want your basement with flooring and wall paneling and being appropriate for storage, but not so much that it’s an actual room like you’d put a couch or a pool table down there, is that considered remodeling, finishing, or something else? I keep seeing people refer to remodeling and finishing as making it a livable space, but if I ever have a basement I don’t like, I’m really just interested in making sure it isn’t a dusty, disgusting, bug-filled dungeon like most of New England.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
My condo's HOA was fine only because I was the president and couldn't care less what color people painted their front doors or whatever. People tried to convince me to do some vile discriminatory poo poo like increase the HOA fee to price certain neighbors out. Awful.

When I first moved in and was convinced to be the president it really sucked. The person before me had clearly been a horrible busy body and got into all the neighbor drama, and they thought I would too. I once had two grown women standing in my foyer screaming at each other in the middle of the night over something inane. I told them that unless one of them threw a brick at the other and it damaged the building, I didn't want to hear from them again.

Now I'm free :toot:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oh the adventures of home ownership.
I'll update with context later.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Verman posted:

Oh the adventures of home ownership.
I'll update with context later.

Was that listed as fresh air spa treatment fixture?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Part 1

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
So my tree guy gave me a ring today and said he was done early and could come by to take a young poplar down quickly. I've got two huge ones and a young one which I want gone before it gets big. It required climbing due to the side yard having nowhere to drop it.

He does that in about 40 minutes, I ask him about stump grinding and he goes and rents a grinder. I had a few others around the yard to take care of anyway.

He gets a behemoth grinder which was awesome to watch. Tank tracks and a robotic arm. 35 horsepower. They do 8 hour rentals and given how fast this thing went through stumps, I can't imagine how many you can grind in a day.

Anyway, he starts going through the stumps. I hear it shut off and he asked if I have a utility in the yard. All my utilities are on the other side of the house so I say no. "Well I hit something".

I saw it earlier and thought it was a slimy root before he ground it. It was light brown and smooth. Then I look after he hit it and it's clearly metal. No bueno. Maybe it's an old utility but we look at it. I use a shovel to lightly dig around it out of curiosity. It exists away from the house on an angle with a very round bend so a utility seems out if the question.

As I dig, it's something else.

Cast iron tub filled with river rocks. I think it weighs 400lbs without the rocks. We removed the tub and there's all kinds of tile around the outside of it.

Previous owners. Holy gently caress. Owning a house is so fun. I 100% expected to find a body of some sort in there.

Verman fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 13, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lmao, truly incredible

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jesus, that's impressive.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sorry why is the cast iron tub turquoise? That brilliant color is something I'd associate with copper

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Can't imagine how much a solid copper bathtub would be worth right now

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cast iron tubs are coated with ceramic, and ceramic is a "forever material".

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Sorry why is the cast iron tub turquoise? That brilliant color is something I'd associate with copper

The house was built in 1955 so I'm not sure if it was originally that color or repainted/reglazed.

I just got the tub out of the ground as the sun went down. Tomorrow I'll spray it down and clean it up if I can, see if there are any markings. It's not even worth the hassle of trying to scrap it, let alone pay to dump it. It's so loving heavy and I really don't want to move it. I think I understand why it ended up in the yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kind of seems like the previous owner had the same idea, which is why it ended up in a hole in the ground, full of rocks so it didn't float to the surface during a hard rain