Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Batman was good, actually.

My shithead coworker had this to say: "So they turned Batman into a firefighter??"

Yeah there's no influential rap song called "gently caress tha Fighterfighters"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I mean Super Broly was just one long fight scene and it was great. Imagine if a super hero movie had good fight scenes...

crank but it's goku needing to eat a hundred thousand calories a day

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Good soup! posted:

I hope they make another bad DBZ movie covering the Saiyan saga and it's 3.5 hours long and makes audiences super mad

I would watch the gently caress out of that

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

it would be awesome to have like an hour and a half dedicated just to character development and introducing all the z fighters and their training and poo poo and the gohan/piccolo thing and then you finally get to the saibamen and the people in the theater watch a bunch of them die instantly

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

dont look up makes the two and a half hour runtime work because the whole central conceit is that everyones just running around in circles not accomplishing anything

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stairmaster posted:

I would watch the gently caress out of that

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Good soup! posted:

it would be awesome to have like an hour and a half dedicated just to character development and introducing all the z fighters and their training and poo poo and the gohan/piccolo thing and then you finally get to the saibamen and the people in the theater watch a bunch of them die instantly

The saibamen only killed yamcha. Everyone else was nappa. Saiyan's are no joke

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

movies need to bring intermissions back. let me piss you monsters.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

gods and generals is the only recent movie i can think of that had an actual intermission

it was 4 hours long

alternatively, i think there's some app out there that tells you when's a good time to take a piss break for movies, don't remember what it's called

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RandolphCarter posted:

You got a mouth, don't ya?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

WampaLord posted:

gods and generals is the only recent movie i can think of that had an actual intermission

it's appropriate because the last movie before that that i remember having an intermission was dances with wolves. i was like six and my older friend told me about a pause during a loving movie and it blew my mind

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kingdom of Heaven directors cut as well, the movie was kinda okay overall but that definitely endeared me to it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

i say swears online posted:

crank but it's goku needing to eat a hundred thousand calories a day

that's just dragon ball. Actually was a plot point earlier that Goku needs a shitton of food to function and he'd often keel over mid-fight from hunger pangs if it went on too long.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Antonymous posted:

the funny thing is that american movies, despite murdering up and coming DPs and having people drive off the road after working 18 hour long days, are insanely more pro-worker than any other film industry in the world.

chinese film sets are equivalent to sweat shops. also china rarely makes good movies anymore, censorship is stronger than ever and things are in decline

source:I have worked in China and have a ton of friends in the film industry there

I can't speak as to other countries' industries, but American film is extremely exploitative. Sure you have unions and the crew are well-compensated compared to people with similar roles in other industries, but the work is grueling and a huge amount of people wash out when their bodies give up. American film just happens to be a giant money faucet and the producers making millions on backend deals don't sweat it too much when grips happen to make $3k/week.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

also worth noting that despite special effects allegedly being the reason why movies are so expensive most american special effects studios constantly teeter on the edge on the bankruptcy and i dont think its coincidental that so many alleged blockbuster look like they have eight digit budgets and not nine digit ones

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

WampaLord posted:

alternatively, i think there's some app out there that tells you when's a good time to take a piss break for movies, don't remember what it's called

It's called RunPee, it vibrates your phone when it's a good time for a pee and gives you a quick rundown of what happened during the allotted break

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
when the che movies by soderburgh came out, a theatre in toronto was showing them together, that was the last time i saw an intermission, though since they are both technically movies that could be taken apart it might be a bad example.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lugubrious posted:

It's called RunPee, it vibrates your phone when it's a good time for a pee and gives you a quick rundown of what happened during the allotted break

ain't technology grand?

the future. no flying cars, but apps will tell you when is best to pee

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kinsey should have had an intermission for the audience to explore themselves

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

also worth noting that despite special effects allegedly being the reason why movies are so expensive most american special effects studios constantly teeter on the edge on the bankruptcy and i dont think its coincidental that so many alleged blockbuster look like they have eight digit budgets and not nine digit ones

It's marketing. Literally half a movie's budget is often marketing. Same with games.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's marketing. Literally half a movie's budget is often marketing. Same with games.

when it says a movie's budget was "100 million' or w/e I think the standard is that that does not include marketing

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

I can't speak as to other countries' industries, but American film is extremely exploitative. Sure you have unions and the crew are well-compensated compared to people with similar roles in other industries, but the work is grueling and a huge amount of people wash out when their bodies give up. American film just happens to be a giant money faucet and the producers making millions on backend deals don't sweat it too much when grips happen to make $3k/week.

yes it's insanely exploitative and yet believe me it is so so so much better to be a grip in the USA. You not only make $3000/week but you're on payroll with workers comp and potentially healthcare and pension and there are meal penalties and overtime after 8, double after 12 (in CA it's the law!). a 12 hour day is normal instead of a 16+ hour day and it's not OK to scream at you. You also have a well defined job description.

There is no advantage to working in China for a grip. It is strictly worse in all ways. In China the grips are often farmers who might not even speak mandarin well, they are just bodies for the grinder. There are of course different levels of professional sets tho.

Hollywood is insane and needs reform. It's insanity to be a film maker at any level or position anywhere. But hollywood is still the least insane place.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

WampaLord posted:

yea i put in "the french dispatch" and it said it "anytime, it doesn't matter, nothing important is happening"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the French piss patch

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The app said to me "Why are you asking me when you should go to the bathroom when you've already pissed your life away watching lovely movies??"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hollywood can also afford to pay (some of) the crew decent money because ~20% of their budget is paid by state tax rebates.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
nothing important happens in movies, they're not real :smuggo:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Antonymous posted:

when it says a movie's budget was "100 million' or w/e I think the standard is that that does not include marketing
see? it works!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/grimes-wanted-to-direct-dune-1234707150/

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Antonymous posted:

Think again!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/zach_g_low/status/1502720400698056711?t=HC6zWCAybJBB7GKc7HKF9Q&s=19

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why would Kyle.7z do any of that poo poo when he has five older brothers? That loser'll never be king Musk

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I saw the Brolly movie at one of those theaters where you can have twelve dollar beers or whatever, and it was honestly great, so much fun. Theaters should only show DBZ movies, imho.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Strong Warhol vibes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so much for the primogeniture left

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ok I'm thinking again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_budgeting#:~:text=The%20budget%20excludes%20film%20promotion,out%2Dof%2Dpocket%20funds.

quote:

The budget excludes film promotion and marketing, which is the responsibility of the film distributor.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

Hollywood can also afford to pay (some of) the crew decent money because ~20% of their budget is paid by state tax rebates.

there's a lot of negativity about producers getting millions in the backend and huge tax writeoffs. Yes its shady as gently caress but they would hoover up every dime if they could.

the real reason that cast/crew have any protection or $ at all is unions. IATSE, SAG, DGA etc are not perfect but they keep the bottom from falling out like what happens in most other countries. And it trickles down to non-union shows who either don't want to get flipped or want union talent, so the union sets a loose standard for everyone that I think is mostly followed, at least for production inside LA

if you're shooting some tik tok thing though god help you

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Antonymous posted:

there's a lot of negativity about producers getting millions in the backend and huge tax writeoffs. Yes its shady as gently caress but they would hoover up every dime if they could.

the real reason that cast/crew have any protection or $ at all is unions. IATSE, SAG, DGA etc are not perfect but they keep the bottom from falling out like what happens in most other countries. And it trickles down to non-union shows who either don't want to get flipped or want union talent, so the union sets a loose standard for everyone that I think is mostly followed, at least for production inside LA

if you're shooting some tik tok thing though god help you

One of the few good stories was hour the hourly labor film union did go to war with the studios last year and did pretty much get everyone concession they wanted
like more time off between shoots.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiveFromNewYork/comments/tdbztt/petes_messages_to_kanye/

https://twitter.com/Akademiks/status/1503047134555299847

oh my loving god, kanye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I agree that Hillary is evil on earth Kanye