Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Undertale > Bioshock Infinite > Ocarina of Time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That ranking of Bioshock games reads like a god drat suicide note, holy poo poo imagine thinking for even one second that anyone gives a poo poo about how you'd rank those wretched games

BeckySucrose
Mar 1, 2022

QuarkJets posted:

That ranking of Bioshock games reads like a god drat suicide note, holy poo poo imagine thinking for even one second that anyone gives a poo poo about how you'd rank those wretched games

So I suppose just saying "I like Bioshock" would've been a sufficient unpopular opinion, then.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

caring about how other people play games is lame af

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
https://i.imgur.com/iTS6OJo.mp4

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

:eyepop: that's a lotta damage

but also lmao at that guy running around in the haligtree with 33 vigor or less

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

No one care how you play. it's just weird the level of extreme entitlement people who don't like fromsoft games have. its always just demanding that the games meet their own terms and maybe they will start playing them then. And it's stuff absolutely no one who already likes the games wants at all.

There's so many games I'd probably like if X or Y thing was different. Monster Hunter is super cool to me on paper. I love the animations and designs and even the gameplay feels pretty good, but taking down monsters and exploring in those games is super tedious and boring to me. People who like those games love that poo poo though. I've just accepted that it's not a series for me and stopped trying to play them. You get these Souls haters though and it's the same thing but they are so mad at people for liking the games how they are and fromsoft not meeting their demands/players who already like the games not agreeing with them.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

:eyepop: that's a lotta damage

but also lmao at that guy running around in the haligtree with 33 vigor or less

:hmmyes: i think everyone involved was a little shocked and learned something valuable

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Panzeh posted:

fromsoft fanboys are some of the smuggest motherfuckers about their games that i've ever seen

It's because all their games are really good compared to all the other games op.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gentle Autist posted:

Yeah it kinda is but it's way more fun to argue about than politics or sports or the new batman film taking 3 loving hours

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I feel very smug and entitled knowing that I lack whatever brainworms cause people to hate games that they've never even played

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

QuarkJets posted:

I feel very smug and entitled knowing that I lack whatever brainworms cause people to hate games that they've never even played

There's actually a test for that.

How do you feel about dota 2?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

No one care how you play. it's just weird the level of extreme entitlement people who don't like fromsoft games have. its always just demanding that the games meet their own terms and maybe they will start playing them then. And it's stuff absolutely no one who already likes the games wants at all.

There's so many games I'd probably like if X or Y thing was different. Monster Hunter is super cool to me on paper. I love the animations and designs and even the gameplay feels pretty good, but taking down monsters and exploring in those games is super tedious and boring to me. People who like those games love that poo poo though. I've just accepted that it's not a series for me and stopped trying to play them. You get these Souls haters though and it's the same thing but they are so mad at people for liking the games how they are and fromsoft not meeting their demands/players who already like the games not agreeing with them.

Yeah, I think I would love Monster Hunter if only I didn't have to chase the dang things around all the time and keep sharpening my weapon, and also have to do a bunch of collection quests to get the good items but I have a friend who loves that poo poo so I'm happy for him whenever a new MH comes out. Souls games achieving various difficulty levels via emergent gameplay elements always seemed like a cool thing to me, as opposed to just moving damage sliders up or down.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The PS1 Armored Core games are some of my fondest teenage memories, I still enjoy them today even though the control scheme is god drat insane, and I absolutely loving despise playing Souls games so where do I fit on the From slider

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

The PS1 Armored Core games are some of my fondest teenage memories, I still enjoy them today even though the control scheme is god drat insane, and I absolutely loving despise playing Souls games so where do I fit on the From slider

You are the Furtive Pygmy

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Devils Affricate posted:

You are the Furtive Pygmy

I still haven't played King's Field, how's that poo poo

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

no one has played kings field, it's from the beforetimes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

no one has played kings field, it's from the beforetimes

I rented one of them from Blockbuster Video on name alone and got my poo poo rocked

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Ah, you see, no one has ever thought of making a challenging game before.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

See that looks too challenging for me, I will play something else instead of telling them to put less enemies there.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Caesar Saladin posted:

See that looks too challenging for me, I will play something else instead of telling them to put less enemies there.

You see, unfortunately, they ruined the game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bethesda has never made a good game

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 12 hours!)

i wonder what games would be like if gta3 and morrowind had just never happened or flopped.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

roomtone posted:

i wonder what games would be like if gta3 and morrowind had just never happened or flopped.

it exists, it's called indie platform games

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've seen the same people say there should be no accessibility options in fromsoft games complain about small text in other games. Irony doesn't appear to be in their lexicon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

roomtone posted:

Morrowind might be another story, but I'm actually not sure how many games really take easily traced inspiration specifically from GTA. Like yeah, there is/was a subgenre of clones like Saint's Row and The Simpsons Hit N Run, but I don't know how many games really do both the key aspects of GTA; the go anywhere, do anything sandbox and the multi-faceted gameplay with on-foot and vehicle controls you switch between.

I suppose the thing in common is the large, singular sandbox map? Honestly, it's not like we've been lacking for games that are more linear... though it's become a weird situation where map design in games is either a corridor you're funneled down or a sprawling map where you hunt for the next icon.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I've been playing Kings Field (US), it's pretty cool! You get dropped in a big, hideous open world and left to your own devices to circle strafe your way around, hitting stuff with your sword and occasionally solving the problems of various villagers. It's really neat for a PS1 game and it's cool seeing that Souls DNA in a 30 year old Fromsoft game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I've seen the same people say there should be no accessibility options in fromsoft games complain about small text in other games. Irony doesn't appear to be in their lexicon.

You're not fooling anyone. We all know you only post like this cuz sekiro literally broke your brain

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fridge corn posted:

You're not fooling anyone. We all know you only post like this cuz sekiro literally broke your brain

It didn't break my brain. If you really want to take a long view, the reason I had so much trouble with the end boss is because fromsoft did a terrible job of explaining game mechanics. So bad that I was able to get to the end boss without truly understanding how to play the game.

That's on fromsoft, not on me.

I'm not a fromsoft hater. I think they have made some good games. But somehow a terrible cult of personality has grown around them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I really do hate when games, often otherwise good and even great ones, have that ONE segment that you basically need a guide for because it uses assumptions and sometimes control schemes that is not required or even featured anywhere else in the game, and is not explained to you. Carnival Night barrel and all.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Floodixor posted:

Explain yourself, young man.

Edit prey doesn't go smart or not imo, it's just a SciFi world and it's a blast to play. I bet you're talking about the plot twists etc, which have gotten some criticism, I know, but the concept of a space station in a world where jfk lived and on and on is just cool world building but you may DISAGREE

It's funny you mention the JFK thing because that was something I came across in the first few hours and was rightfully :aaa: about. The problem is that everything past the first 2-3 hours is painfully uninteresting or otherwise not compelling at all.

The gameplay doesn't expand into more interesting directions, not via the weapons or the skills or the powers or the enemy types you need to deal with. The story has nothing going for it, and the twist doesn't ruin it per se but it feels like there's no payoff, no thesis statement waiting at the end of it all to wrap things up in a bow. It's just a bunch of stuff that happened and it's vaguely meta, ooo.

Even the world design falters after a point. For every area that I liked there was another that felt off in some way. Talos did not feel like a fully cohesive environment. It got maybe 2/3rds of the way there but basically any time you're not in a front-facing habitation area things start of feel like generic video game environments that exist for a cool visual or a fun gameplay arena and not properly immersive spaces. Relatedly, the game also relies entirely too much on backtracking and endless fiddly side quests pushing you to exhaust every last little corner of the game world in a way that feels distractingly artificial.

I say all this with the added caveat that Dishonored also didn't resonate with me. I liked it better than Prey, but it had similar foibles.

Also I just found it kinda funny that you said it was criminally underrated because here on SA goons loving love it and I feel like that degree of hype set me up for my own massive disappointment.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I would say all of Arkane's library is super overrated except for Dark Messiah. Just bland videogamey slop through and through. At least dark messiah let you kick people off cliffs though

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I would say all of Arkane's library is super overrated except for Dark Messiah. Just bland videogamey slop through and through. At least dark messiah let you kick people off cliffs though

Dark Messiah has the benefit of using the Source engine's physics as a jumping off point to make cool poo poo happen. It's a bit simplistic now, especially when the maps are often outright seeded with "hey maybe do some funny physics poo poo here" spots but it's still fun and you can get creative with it.

Prey is just a pastiche of immersive sims, and even its most notable elements are dull. Like being able to mimic things yourself, a potentially interesting ability that could have all sorts of fun applications, is 99% of the time just a puzzle solution to "how do I get through this tiny gap".

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

It didn't break my brain. If you really want to take a long view, the reason I had so much trouble with the end boss is because fromsoft did a terrible job of explaining game mechanics. So bad that I was able to get to the end boss without truly understanding how to play the game.

That's on fromsoft, not on me.

I'm not a fromsoft hater. I think they have made some good games. But somehow a terrible cult of personality has grown around them.

I'm really curious about what particular game mechanics you are referring to

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

roomtone posted:

There would still be open world games made, it would just be done with more established properties.

Disney didn't stop making action movies when John Carter flopped, they just bought Marvel and Star Wars.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

I think the problem with dishonored is that the 'stealth game' way to play is incredibly unfun and leads to the least interesting ending, when most of the mechanics of the game are cool rear end ways to whack the guards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Panzeh posted:

I think the problem with dishonored is that the 'stealth game' way to play is incredibly unfun and leads to the least interesting ending, when most of the mechanics of the game are cool rear end ways to whack the guards.

It's a tricky thing with stealth games, especially when you end up having mandatory full combat segments to finally use the squillion guns they heap on you.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
bioshock guns felt like watery puke from day one, add in the respawning enemies and the skincell deep morality system and it I was like i was on crazy pills watching everyone praise that game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bioshock guns felt like watery puke from day one, add in the respawning enemies and the skincell deep morality system and it I was like i was on crazy pills watching everyone praise that game

It has a lovely art aesthetic. I remember being ambushed like 1/3rd 1/2 into the game and realizing they were just reusing enemies but with ever inflating HP pools and the game never recovered from that. Neat narrative that fell apart at the end after its twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Panzeh posted:

Sorry sneaking about and killing unaware npcs is actually great