Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I'm still holding out that Sue is gonna be A-ok

Maybe she'll be poo poo out by the electric sky serpent as a new necromancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

On the third day, she was resurrected (cut her way out of the serpent's stomach)

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Show continues to be weird, owns.

What you guys are saying about cancellation is worrisome, no idea how it usually works. I hope we get at least another season where the makers know it's gonna be the last one. I don't want it to last forever, just a thought in advance conclusion.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

eschaton posted:

Sue shows up to a sobbing Paul and Marcus.

“drat, that was weird, the seed sank into me and then I started digging and then I threw up the seed in the hole and started walking back here. What’s been up with you guys?”

The walkie-talkie is never explained.

I was saying "boo-urns me"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Obviously, the Megasnake is going to poop out Sue, who is seemingly unharmed, except now she can interface with electronics via wires that come out of her fingertips. She hijacks the atheist ship and flies it to the Dracula Zone.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Another prediction:

Sol is the ancient Keplerians’ version of The Trust who went rampant, which is where the original schism between the believers and the technocrats developed: The believers, of course, worshipped it like it desperately wanted. The technocrats, in the meantime, couldn’t disconnect it entirely from their civilization—it was just too integral.

It was contained underground to prevent it from collecting the energy it would need to achieve a full “hard takeoff” and bootstrapping to godhood, just like they prevented its escape by destroying their FTL communications and travel technology—and maybe killing everyone who could recreate it—based on “dark photons.” The whole point of the sun-based religion Sol taught the believers, especially stuff like teaching them how to make Necromancers and about the Tree of Life and so on, is part of its program to escape its contraints—which includes literally exposing it to the sun so it can collect solar energy. The moholes all over the planet are attempts by his believers to dig out some core of Sol, while the extreme RF interference around the planet is the remains of an EMP attempting to (or even temporarily succeeding in) disabling Sol.

Some Keplerian technocrats fled to Earth to start a colony, but at sublight speeds, so they arrived a quarter million years ago. They knew it was a good place to go because they’d previously sent survey teams (before destroying their FTL tech). They were either few enough or didn’t have the resources to maintain or re-bootstrap their civilization so the colony entirely collapsed. Keplerian babies were raised by other hominids, reverting them to pre-language hunter-gatherers, and that kept the human species alive (which eventually became dominant again).

After coming back online enough to do so, Sol sent some sublight survey and sample-return missions to the colony, which is both how he got Neanderthal samples and how he knew there were still humans on Earth. With the sample-return missions he tried to teach his language and knowledge to the Neanderthals in an attempt to escape (they’re strong after all!), but that didn’t succeed and they’ve have been barely scraping by on Kepler for the last 50,000 years.

After the failure of the Neanderthal escape attempt, Sol used all its physical resources to send one last mission to Earth, delivering artifacts of a redesigned version of its religion and the means to entomb them until the humans who were there had gotten themselves to the point where they would be actionable. That point happened sometime in the mid-2000s. Since then, the Mithraistsw who developed on Earth have been actively following the program to free it that Sol probably spentf potentially thousands of years designing for them.

Not considering that Earth’s equivalent to the technocrats might be able to subvert Keplerian technology in a way that would be detrimental to its program—which is what happened when Campion Sturges turned a Necromancer into Mother.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

eschaton posted:

Another prediction:

Sol is the ancient Keplerians’ version of The Trust who went rampant, which is where the original schism between the believers and the technocrats developed: The believers, of course, worshipped it like it desperately wanted. The technocrats, in the meantime, couldn’t disconnect it entirely from their civilization—it was just too integral.

It was contained underground to prevent it from collecting the energy it would need to achieve a full “hard takeoff” and bootstrapping to godhood, just like they prevented its escape by destroying their FTL communications and travel technology—and maybe killing everyone who could recreate it—based on “dark photons.” The whole point of the sun-based religion Sol taught the believers, especially stuff like teaching them how to make Necromancers and about the Tree of Life and so on, is part of its program to escape its contraints—which includes literally exposing it to the sun so it can collect solar energy. The moholes all over the planet are attempts by his believers to dig out some core of Sol, while the extreme RF interference around the planet is the remains of an EMP attempting to (or even temporarily succeeding in) disabling Sol.

Some Keplerian technocrats fled to Earth to start a colony, but at sublight speeds, so they arrived a quarter million years ago. They knew it was a good place to go because they’d previously sent survey teams (before destroying their FTL tech). They were either few enough or didn’t have the resources to maintain or re-bootstrap their civilization so the colony entirely collapsed. Keplerian babies were raised by other hominids, reverting them to pre-language hunter-gatherers, and that kept the human species alive (which eventually became dominant again).

After coming back online enough to do so, Sol sent some sublight survey and sample-return missions to the colony, which is both how he got Neanderthal samples and how he knew there were still humans on Earth. With the sample-return missions he tried to teach his language and knowledge to the Neanderthals in an attempt to escape (they’re strong after all!), but that didn’t succeed and they’ve have been barely scraping by on Kepler for the last 50,000 years.

After the failure of the Neanderthal escape attempt, Sol used all its physical resources to send one last mission to Earth, delivering artifacts of a redesigned version of its religion and the means to entomb them until the humans who were there had gotten themselves to the point where they would be actionable. That point happened sometime in the mid-2000s. Since then, the Mithraistsw who developed on Earth have been actively following the program to free it that Sol probably spentf potentially thousands of years designing for them.

Not considering that Earth’s equivalent to the technocrats might be able to subvert Keplerian technology in a way that would be detrimental to its program—which is what happened when Campion Sturges turned a Necromancer into Mother.

this is where i think its going but who knows. its a very fire upon the deep feel to me. sol is the blight

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ptkfvk posted:

this is where i think its going but who knows. its a very fire upon the deep feel to me. sol is the blight

HOLY poo poo YES THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT I’VE BEEN THINKING

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

“The veil allowed us to make the best decisions for humans about their welfare.”

Don’t you want to be HELPED?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Calling it now: Grandma is Orville Peck.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Considering their willingness to just lay everything out on the table this season, especially in the last episode I'm worried season 3 isn't going to be a thing. HBO usually proudly announces a new season being picked up after the season premiere of a show.

That's usually for shows still in their first seasons, or Euphoria level popular.

Yeah, I'm mildly concerned about cancellation, but not for this reason tbh.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's usually for shows still in their first seasons, or Euphoria level popular.

Yeah, I'm mildly concerned about cancellation, but not for this reason tbh.

RBW is a Max show and not an HBO show too. Their renewal announcements follow a different calculus.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

RBW is a Max show and not an HBO show too. Their renewal announcements follow a different calculus.

This is true, but in terms of what I'm talking about they tend to operate similarly.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I haven't run the numbers on it but HBO tends to do renewal announcements before finales, and Max after ime.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
One of the things I absolutely love about this wack-rear end show is the opening credits. Everything about that sequence is haunting and bone-chilling. The song is perfect and the cuts say so much and yet so little; the more you see of the show the more you look at the visuals a bit cock-eyed.

At the very beginning of the credits (before we see the first explosion) there is what sounds like a countdown, no? Maybe I'm going deaf but that's what it sounds like to me, and I can't make out what language it's in.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

One of the things I absolutely love about this wack-rear end show is the opening credits. Everything about that sequence is haunting and bone-chilling. The song is perfect and the cuts say so much and yet so little; the more you see of the show the more you look at the visuals a bit cock-eyed.

At the very beginning of the credits (before we see the first explosion) there is what sounds like a countdown, no? Maybe I'm going deaf but that's what it sounds like to me, and I can't make out what language it's in.

I love the song, like you said it just fits perfectly

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the opening credits. I love the animation.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're loving gorgeous.

I think it's interesting how they show the Sue Tree growing up as well as down. You think she could still be alive down there, as above so below?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is Father also a wolf? He seems pretty 'nice' to me. It's not called 'raised by wolf'.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

redreader posted:

Is Father also a wolf? He seems pretty 'nice' to me. It's not called 'raised by wolf'.

Yeah hes Moon Moon

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Riffing off of the theory crafting: I wonder if the snakes were once part of a mostly benign biotech ecosystem or caretaking program, possibly incubated by Grandmothers sort of like Seven was by Mother.

Sol figures out how to exploit humankind's need to believe — it even managed to create a signal that burrows into susceptible minds.
Sol then designs the cordyceps-like trees of life which are spread and planted by the happily self-sacrificing Mithraic. The trees infest and weaponize the snakes, which destroy the Technocrats (and then the Mithraic).

Sol almost succeeds in exterminating humankind but is somehow stopped.

But Kepler is lost. Weaponized and crazed snakes scorch the surface. The remaining Grandmothers are tasked with safekeeping a generation of embryos with which to reboot humankind when the planet is safe.

However, the Grandmothers discover that Sol hasn't been destroyed and/or that the EMF will fail.
The Grandmothers are programmed to ensure humankind's survival — but Sol's signal will inevitably cause this mission to fail. They find a solution in devolving their charge into creatures that lack the susceptibility of belief, and that will dwell where and when Sol is particularly weak.

(And before all this, before the apocalypse, some humans have begun the long journey to Earth. Which gives Sol a means of escape)

anatomi fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 13, 2022

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're loving gorgeous.

I think it's interesting how they show the Sue Tree growing up as well as down. You think she could still be alive down there, as above so below?

Sue (a tree) was eaten by the flying snake, and when it evolved, the tree became the front-facing tentacles of Snake 3.0.

Sue is now a tree inside a snake that is tentacles.

:science:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I mean snek could vomit up sue tree like cell did to that hot android in dbz

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

What are you baby, snakes can’t vomit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was thinking about how much the muddy night time lighting that some people don't like is really reminiscent of the 1980s film On the Silver Globe. I haven't watched it in like 15 years, but decided to kind of cross check and the more i think about it, in general this show has to be drawing inspiration from that movie to some degree.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Despera posted:

I hope there is a season 3 so the writers can afford thier obviously copious drug habit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the funny thing about the blue night filter is that it also makes the campfires look dim and blue

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I was thinking about how much the muddy night time lighting that some people don't like is really reminiscent of the 1980s film On the Silver Globe. I haven't watched it in like 15 years, but decided to kind of cross check and the more i think about it, in general this show has to be drawing inspiration from that movie to some degree.

Very cool. Looks like flashback shots from Raisin Wolves

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Despera posted:

I mean snek could vomit up sue tree like cell did to that hot android in dbz

Is father Goku or is mother?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

blue squares posted:

Very cool. Looks like flashback shots from Raisin Wolves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFRiSlcBAg

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They keep talking about the acid ocean and how they had to coat the drone sub thing in mutant skin to protect it. But then how did they put the TV cameras in the acid ocean to film the whirl pool scenes? Am I supposed to believe that HBO sprung for acid proof cameras? I hope someone got fired over that blunder.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

redreader posted:

Is Father also a wolf?

No. he's a robot.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

redreader posted:

Mother is the only wolf.

Inside of you are 2 wolves. One of them is a flying snake monster. The other a bunch of milk.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Mother is the only wolf.

Inside of you are 2 wolves. One of them is a flying snake monster. The other a bunch of milk.

But who will win? Snake. Snake always win.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Just sitting here, thinking about a simpler time when radioactive potato spaceship was the funniest/most insane part of this show.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mrmcd posted:

Just sitting here, thinking about a simpler time when radioactive potato spaceship was the funniest/most insane part of this show.

"radioactive potatoes! how preposterous!"
"o my sweet innocent child, beware the coming of the Chainsaw Robot, herald of WTF.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
With baseball season quickly approaching, an MLB team should get it’s act together and contact HBO execs to see if they can get some sort of Opening Day marketing opportunity for Mother and Father to throw out the first pitch(es).

Maybe Father gets on the mic and sings Take Me Out To The Ballgame at Wrigley Field during the 7th inning stretch, too.

People can have their photo taken at the stadium entrance with the Sue Tree.

Marcus walks the rows selling popcorn and beers and tells people about Sol.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

They keep talking about the acid ocean and how they had to coat the drone sub thing in mutant skin to protect it. But then how did they put the TV cameras in the acid ocean to film the whirl pool scenes? Am I supposed to believe that HBO sprung for acid proof cameras? I hope someone got fired over that blunder.

The merman was well fed and had plenty of extra skin to wrap the cameras in, I mean what is it with goons needing everything spelled out from them.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Cojawfee posted:

The drone clearly succumbs to the acid after a few minutes, so obviously HBO only had to spring for acid-resistant lenses. I swear, goons are so bad at watching media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Weebly posted:

Is father Goku or is mother?

someones going super saiyan next episode for sure