Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ThomasPaine posted:

Whenever I remember this woman runs an actual school I get earnestly sad thinking about the poor kids who have to endure it. I remember when I was 14/15 I was being pretty badly bullied and being able to just completely lose myself in videogame escapism every night was such a relief for me. It's baffling to me that we still have plenty of people in this country who have such a reactionary, completely baseless assumption that they're somehow inherently bad for kids. The mental health of pupils at that school must be in loving tatters.

Well at least there's always the traditional books, films and comics, unless those are forbidden too somehow. Most of those I'd argue are no more intellectually stimulating than games anyway.

Maybe there's a cynical angle to it because reading skills have a strong positive effect on exam performance.

I might have been joking when I say 'gaming is just for adults' but the truth is because of parental restrictions I did far more gaming at uni and as an adult than I ever did as teen. To the point where I went back and finished games I didn't have time for as a teen, which retrospectively made me a bit sad. e: I'd often only be allowed 20 minute sessions which is not enough for the vast majority of games, so I never got out of the first 10% of almost any game, with a few exceptions.
Really ruins the experience imo.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

forkboy84 posted:

gently caress that, "not my beat" is a garbage excuse for ignoring the rampant misogyny & racism of Gudio until it impacted her personally. She's a typical liberal who only gives a gently caress about anything that directly impacts her. Leaving the EU? Raaaaargh mad. Folk being sanctioned by the DWP & literally starving to death, not figuratively but literally dying because the state found some minor fault and punished them for it? Not my beat.

It's loving bollocks, she's got a personal Twitter account, she's able to comment on poo poo outside her "beat" (never mind that The Guardian will let any melt write in their opinion section if they are well known enough & she sure is), but she doesn't because why bother upsetting the applecart? After all, there's a good chance that one of her colleagues worked for Guido (believe Jim Waterson was an intern there) & certainly the way the media is going she will work with more than 1 in the rest of her career.

"Look at this picture. It's being shared by lefties despite being made by people who worked for RT!" "OK, but is the image wrong?" "No, but you're being duped into spreading Russian propaganda." "Does the source matter if the material is indisputably true?" "Whatabboutism!"

Gosh, I'm glad someone is doing real journalism.

Or "not my beat" could be interperated as pull your loving finger out to journalists who aren't fighting years of libel suits with arron banks and his ghouls

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

Or "not my beat" could be interperated as pull your loving finger out to journalists who aren't fighting years of libel suits with arron banks and his ghouls

wow all that water must get really heavy sometimes

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I'm sorry but putting together a case for how vote leave was paid for by dark money that's strong enough to hold up in court is The Good Fight and I'll die on this hill.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Private Speech posted:

Well at least there's always the traditional books, films and comics, unless those are forbidden too somehow. Most of those I'd argue are no more intellectually stimulating than games anyway.

Maybe there's a cynical angle to it because reading skills have a strong positive effect on exam performance.

I might have been joking when I say 'gaming is just for adults' but the truth is because of parental restrictions I did far more gaming at uni and as an adult than I ever did as teen. To the point where I went back and finished games I didn't have time for as a teen, which retrospectively made me a bit sad. e: I'd often only be allowed 20 minute sessions which is not enough for the vast majority of games, so I never got out of the first 10% of almost any game, with a few exceptions. Really ruins the experience imo.

Christ you just reminded me of the many times my mum waltzed in and insisted I switch the PlayStation off, completely deaf to my protests about needing to find a save point. This happened after I finally beat that demon wall boss in temple of the ancients in ff7 after struggling against it for days because I was stupid underlevelled. To this day I don't think she understands why I was mad at her for a whole week lol.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 13, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Julio Cruz posted:

wow all that water must get really heavy sometimes

Cadwalladr was literally quoting Martin Niemoller. I don't see anyone rushing to say how Niemoller deserved it when the Nazis came for him because he was a liberal oval office.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

gently caress that, "not my beat" is a garbage excuse for ignoring the rampant misogyny & racism of Gudio until it impacted her personally. She's a typical liberal who only gives a gently caress about anything that directly impacts her. Leaving the EU? Raaaaargh mad. Folk being sanctioned by the DWP & literally starving to death, not figuratively but literally dying because the state found some minor fault and punished them for it? Not my beat.

It's loving bollocks, she's got a personal Twitter account, she's able to comment on poo poo outside her "beat" (never mind that The Guardian will let any melt write in their opinion section if they are well known enough & she sure is), but she doesn't because why bother upsetting the applecart? After all, there's a good chance that one of her colleagues worked for Guido (believe Jim Waterson was an intern there) & certainly the way the media is going she will work with more than 1 in the rest of her career.

I think you've misread her here, I took that as her acknowledging it was a bad reason to not speak up. She's basically paraphrasing that "First they came for" poem.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

I don't care. I don't need to agree with her every last opinion to say that she is paying the price for being one of about 3 people still doing ever to do proper journalism in this country and paying for it hard.

She should be supported and applauded tbh

E:

The thing is that it's only partially real journalism. It's being used to limit public curiosity and empathy as much as it's being used to expand it, narrowly focusing the problems of imperialism and corruption on One Bad Dude in order to further the agendas of other corrupt imperialists. There's no other grounds for deflecting away from the genocide in Yemen, for instance, which is a product of the exact same corruption and imperialism by the British government, except that it's done by people her side likes. She's under extreme and vicious attack, but that's largely because both sides in an elite faction war play dirty, rather than because she's actually threatening the systems at the heart of the problem.

Long story short, it's extremely difficult to trust the motives of people who post this sort if reheated Cold War bullshit:

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 13, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ThomasPaine posted:

Christ you just reminded me of the many many my mum waltzed in and insisted I switch the PlayStation off, completely deaf to my protests about needing to find a save point. This happened after I finally beat that demon wall boss in temple of the ancients in ff7 after struggling against it for days because I was stupid underlevelled. To this day I don't think she understands why I was mad at her for a whole week lol.

Honestly that sounds pretty good, I don't think I ever got out of midgard in months that I played. The few games I ever finished were like lba1 which took me more than a year and now I managed to comfortably replay over the other weekend. Really did feel a bit sad.

I don't think spending hours playing with legos or watching garbage TV shows for tweens was any better for me. Begrudgingly I admit that the reading really did help me a lot academically, not that that led to any amazing success in adulthood. A few encyclopedias back-to-back were enough to never have to pay attention in history and geography for one.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 13, 2022

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Long story short, it's extremely difficult to trust the motives of people who post this sort if reheated Cold War bullshit:

Not having read Naiomi Klein is not an unforgivable sin in my opinion.

The thing is, she is just one person. It takes loving years to do the sort of work she is doing in her day job which is much bigger than her questionable twitter opinions.

If 100 people were doing the quality of investigation she does, we might have better politics.

We have to give credit where its due.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

I think you've misread her here, I took that as her acknowledging it was a bad reason to not speak up. She's basically paraphrasing that "First they came for" poem.
Another famous German once said "Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

Pastor Niemöller's poem is a powerful entreatment to others to never tolerate injustice in the first place, if not out of conscience then for the sake of your own future self. Busting it out once they've come for you is missing the point a bit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Good to know.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jiggerypokery posted:

If 100 people were doing the quality of investigation she does, we might have better politics.

No, we wouldn't.
She can do her "quality of investigation" because her team is small and easily-ignored.
There isn't the financial backing to get 100x her team, because no newspaper wants to pay someone who can't poo poo out articles that are '50% scraping social media, 50% press release' seven times a day to meet print deadline.

And, crucially, any newspaper that did put their money where their mouth is would probably get raided by MI5 at the Government's behest.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

Not having read Naiomi Klein is not an unforgivable sin in my opinion.

The thing is, she is just one person. It takes loving years to do the sort of work she is doing in her day job which is much bigger than her questionable twitter opinions.

We have to give credit where its due.

Again, she can do her 'quality of investigation' because she is backed by rival imperial interests, which also in and of itself limits the scope, quality, and reliability of her journalism. It's fundamentally just oppo research, designed to change who benefits from corrupt and abusive systems while minimising the damage to the systems themselves (by pinning their problems on a few bad actors rather than something more fundamental and structural).

Liberal Cold Warriors are not your friends, and will turn on you the second you say an unkind word against their own murderous sugar-daddies. The fact that she pals around with Alistair Campbell should be warning enough.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

See also columnists who complain about having to know about politics, want to go back to when they didn't have to pay attention (and therefore by implication used to know gently caress all about politics), and yet felt the need to pump out 1500 words a week about why jemery crombles was the worst hitler since arthur scargill, the last person who made them have to read about politics.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

No, I read her right. Now she knows what it's like to be targeted by Guido she thinks its bad. She didn't care until she was. Acknowledging things only when you have first-hand experience of them is not a great character trait & I think it's reasonable to judge someone for that. I mean we're not talking about someone in their mid-20s, we're talking about someone in their late '40s, by any definition a fully grown adult.

Jedit posted:

Cadwalladr was literally quoting Martin Niemoller. I don't see anyone rushing to say how Niemoller deserved it when the Nazis came for him because he was a liberal oval office.

There's not really much of a rush, what with it all being said over several decades, but there's plenty of people who've criticised Niemoller. Not sure about saying he deserved it, but then no one is arguing Cadwalladr deserves to be held in a concentration camp for 7 years either.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1503053867004710916

Came home to this on my doormat, probably best all round that whatever local councilor or lanyard wanker they had out doorknocking (because there sure as poo poo aren't any actual volunteers doing it any more) didn't have to try and explain to me exactly why I should vote for them when the party has spent the last two years extremely vehemently telling me they don't want me anywhere near them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like Cadwalladr is someone I've seen come up many times with bad, hot takes, or maybe I'm confusing her with another dipshit with the initials CC.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Look, I'm in my early thirties. I'm from the first generation in history not to increasingly vote right as it has gotten older. I have to live potentially my entire life twice over again on this planet.

We've been utterly betrayed over Corbyn but that isn't the end of the story of our generation. I am not ready for the type of nihilism that says that not fighting the people looking to doom us to climate catastrophe and/or total fascism is a Good Thing because the only people who are able to do it professionally write for the guardian.

We HAVE to get active and support people doing good things to make space for better people to do better things.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

No, I read her right. Now she knows what it's like to be targeted by Guido she thinks its bad. She didn't care until she was. Acknowledging things only when you have first-hand experience of them is not a great character trait & I think it's reasonable to judge someone for that. I mean we're not talking about someone in their mid-20s, we're talking about someone in their late '40s, by any definition a fully grown adult.

There's not really much of a rush, what with it all being said over several decades, but there's plenty of people who've criticised Niemoller. Not sure about saying he deserved it, but then no one is arguing Cadwalladr deserves to be held in a concentration camp for 7 years either.
Yeah Niemöller's rhetoric can be powerful for getting otherwise comfortable people to think a bit more about, say, the anti-Traveller bill or the racist Borders and Nationalities bill if they can't get "ethnic cleansing is bad, actually" through their heads, but so is the Manics If You Tolerate This. "It might happen to you/your kids" isn't the best reason to fight them, but it's better than not fighting them.

Borrowing it for "I was happy to swim in the cess pit of British media until some of the piss got up my own nose" seems a bit indulgent, if not in poor taste.

There's another great poem of our generation that's more apt for that:
https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976

Bobby Deluxe posted:

jemery crombles was the worst hitler since arthur scargill
That reminds me of all the takes this last week from American libs with brains entirely made of worms who only know one 'evil Euro war man' and know gently caress all about him either.

Pledge is what kieth huffs when he's out of whiskey.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Thats the depressing thing. It's not men is smokey rooms making plans for the next shipment of ambrosia.

On that sort of note, I have to say replaying deus ex while listening to knowledge fight is an incredible experience.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jiggerypokery posted:

I'm sorry but putting together a case for how vote leave was paid for by dark money that's strong enough to hold up in court is The Good Fight and I'll die on this hill.
Why? What happens after they are found to have acted illegally? The right breaks this sort of law as a matter of course now, it would barely even be newsworthy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jiggerypokery posted:

Look, I'm in my early thirties. I'm from the first generation in history not to increasingly vote right as it has gotten older. I have to live potentially my entire life twice over again on this planet.

We've been utterly betrayed over Corbyn but that isn't the end of the story of our generation. I am not ready for the type of nihilism that says that not fighting the people looking to doom us to climate catastrophe and/or total fascism is a Good Thing because the only people who are able to do it professionally write for the guardian.

We HAVE to get active and support people doing good things to make space for better people to do better things.

What you're saying is "something must be done, this is something, thererfore we must do it"

I and others keep pointing this out but terminal russia brain being the lens through which you interpret politics is not a helpful answer.

Even if it is sometimes correct by chance, it does not give you an accurate picture of why the world is the way it is, and subscribing to it limits your ability to do that because you can only suggest that the reason for everything is "russia did it"

I don't even think that is true of brexit, plenty of people across the UK political spectrum spent many decades blaming their own failings on europe because it was convenient, even if russian interference tipped the scales, it was the rest of UK society that stacked them in the first place. And she is completely unwilling and unable to think about that, because she thinks "the west" is civilization against the barbarism of the east.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 13, 2022

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

TACD posted:

Why? What happens after they are found to have acted illegally? The right breaks this sort of law as a matter of course now, it would barely even be newsworthy.

Ukraine has changed poo poo. Public opinion in the UK right now is Putin + Oligarch Money Bad. Power in the UK and the media revolving door demonstrably do not feel that way. It will not stay that way because these cunts always win the public debate in the end.

We have a limited amount of time to use that energy and scream about any wonton corruption that we can.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 13, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

Assuming that the controlled opposition are necessary to our struggle is a far more grim, nihilistic, and blinkered perspective. There's quite a lot of people outside the bubble of our media-political ecosystem, and quite a lot of them are more useful and reliable than the various sheltered freaks, bigots, and crooks within it.

Claiming that we HAVE to say nice things about frothing imperialists whenever they attack their political rivals is nothing but despair disguised as hope.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
Big fan of Cadwalladr here. Before I’d heard of her I thought Brexit might have been a long term plan by certain tories encouraged by her mates in the right wing media but apparently it’s all due to Russians funnelling money to like three people.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I and others keep pointing this out but terminal russia brain being the lens through which you interpret politics is not a helpful answer.

Russian money has utterly corrupted the UK since the 90's. It's not just Russian money, but it is 0 coincidence that brexit happened, Corbyn was politically assassinated and oligarchs all launder their money through the UK and not France or Germany.

It's not "terminal russia brain" because it's not just russia. The climate denial lobby is paying for and empowering the exact same people. That's the bigger picture here. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/07/us-billionaires-hard-right-britain-spiked-magazine-charles-david-koch-foundation

That's not the whole reason, but it's a major reason why our politics is so poo poo. I'm sorry, but literally any damage that can be done to that picture in any form, I'm willing to take.

I can't go out and drown every single enabling oval office in british politics and press but I can say here is one person, doing one small, good, thing. Brainworms, hottakes, whatever but credit where credit is due.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
doing something about the one thing that happens to affect you and ignoring a load of other, more important, things because they don't, is not really the sign of a good person

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
neither is judging people though

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

doing nothing at all because nothing seems good enough to be worth it isn't the sign of a good person either

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again, "something must be done, this is something" is not a good argument specifically because it leads you to do things that are actively counterproductive under the notion that all action is preferable to inaction. There is a reason it is usually trotted out as the basis of interventionism.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
what the gently caress 'hitler didn't kill ethnic Germans' what the gently caress WHAT THE gently caress

I don't know why that take has exploded my brain quite so badly but I feel dizzy with how completely wrong it is. Not only like, irrelevant, just factually completely incorrect.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Suing arron banks is not counter productive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HopperUK posted:

what the gently caress 'hitler didn't kill ethnic Germans' what the gently caress WHAT THE gently caress

I don't know why that take has exploded my brain quite so badly but I feel dizzy with how completely wrong it is. Not only like, irrelevant, just factually completely incorrect.

As noted a lot of people really don't know anything more than "hitler bad and racist"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

doing nothing at all because nothing seems good enough to be worth it isn't the sign of a good person either

and it's a drat shame that those are literally the only two options available to a print journalist in the UK

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

and it's a drat shame that those are literally the only two options available to a print journalist in the UK

And what do you suggest we do about that?

I mean, one thought I had was when a print journalist vaguely steps out side of the mould and does something actually productive we at least say "well done" but apparently i'm loving crazy

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

And what do you suggest we do about that?

I mean, one thought I had was when a print journalist vaguely steps out side of the mould and does something actually productive we at least say "well done" but apparently i'm loving crazy

uh that was sarcasm my dude

there a shitton of things more important right now than which of a group of cunts paid the most to make Brexit happen

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

It is both incredibly stupid and completely wrong, but in context I get what they were aiming for. Hitler of course killed a whole bunch of ethnic Germans because they didn't meet his standards for the master race, but he didn't kill them just because they were ethnic Germans and he never made out that anyone in the countries he invaded was really a German. Whereas Putin has marched into Ukraine on the pretext that it's a part of his country and everyone who lives there is Russian, but then started bombing maternity hospitals. "Say this for Hitler, at least he never lied about being a conqueror" is a hell of a dumb take and a dril tweet waiting to happen, but the aim isn't to validate Hitler or minimise his crimes - it's to reinforce the fact that Putin is not a liberator.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

jiggerypokery posted:

We've been utterly betrayed over Corbyn but that isn't the end of the story of our generation.

It probably is.

Keir Starmer 59
Boris Johnson 57

If a generation is not skipped, we will be in US territory age-wise. But never mind that, who knew Starmer was older than Johnson!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

uh that was sarcasm my dude

there a shitton of things more important right now than which of a group of cunts paid the most to make Brexit happen

Like the obliteration of Ukrainian cities and their civilians, Climate Catastrophy, the complete destruction of the labour opposition, constant vicious attacks on minorities of all kinds from both the press and the government?

Gee sure be a shame if someone was investigating where some of the money behind some of that was coming from.