Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does anyone else do a 89key layout like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Gaming-Keycaps-Computer/dp/B085ZDXGZW

Id get that if it weren't for the red switches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eric the Mauve posted:

TKL plus a separate numpad for when you need one is definitely the way to go

so close! it's actually 75% + numpad

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

so close! it's actually 75% + numpad

so close! it's actually [whatever you call a 75% with the slightly blown-out arrow keys instead of the whole keyboard being one solid block] + numpad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

so close! it's actually [whatever you call a 75% with the slightly blown-out arrow keys instead of the whole keyboard being one solid block] + numpad

never had a problem with them being en bloc but i can respect this

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

To continue my blogging about my keyboard escapades, it turns the good outlet in my area was out of Huntsman TKLs, so I got a Blackwidow V3 as a temporary solution. I thought it'd be about the same based on the small amount of googling I managed to do before closing hours, but it turns out it's not at all the same! The switches are different, the buttons seem clackier because of some missing dampening component, the board is awkwardly elevated for some reason. I think the buttons are a bit taller than on the Huntsman as well (probably because it doesn't use the optical switches with shorter travel)

Once again I am shown that it is a really bad idea to buy a keyboard blind. However at least I managed to find out that even the loud as gently caress clicky keys apparently don't get picked up by my microphone, which is good. I shall now order up my Huntsman so that I may finally arrive at my keyboard engame.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 8, 2022

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone using wooden plate racks to storage keyboards?

https://www.amazon.com/FREETEX-Kitchen-Storage-Cabinet-Organizer/dp/B09SDSWQ4R/

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

never had a problem with them being en bloc but i can respect this

Tbh me neither, but that's because I'm a poor typist and always look down for those keys anyway.

And I have to admit the solid rectangle does look clean as hell. I constantly waffle back and forth on which look I like more

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i use different profile keys to separate them out

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
How do I actually order something through one of these group buy things on geekhack.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
They each use a bunch of different retailers as proxies, usually listed in the threads

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I recently got a DZ68RGB (aka DZ65RGB v1, I think) PCB as part of a SAMart buy and want to get new keycaps for it, but I can't find anything that matches the layout I want to use.

I remap Caps Lock so the left side will be Esc, Tab, Ctrl, Shift, then Fn/Meta/Alt. I also use both macOS and Windows, so on the Mac side I'll swap Ctrl and Meta (=Cmd) in the OS (because Ctrl+key in Windows and Cmd+key in macOS usually do the same thing, and Ctrl+key isn't used much on the mac side). I feel less strongly about the right side of the spacebar but would probably do something like Fn/Ctrl/Alt ideally (and haven't even gotten to my extra 4 keys above the arrow block, but probably want to do some media keys + pgup/pgdown/home/end over there).

I'd prefer OS-agnostic labels since technically my "Ctrl" moves around, but it seems essentially loving impossible to get a 1.75u CapsLock replacement keycap that says anything other than Ctrl, and then even if it does it won't have the right kind of symbols on 1.25u and 1u keys to match the rest of the modifier placements on the board, and it would piss the poo poo out of me to have two keys that are both Control/Cmd with mismatched labels (if I'm missing something, please link!).

So I started looking at blank keycap sets that were transparent (thinking I could just use the RGB to highlight modifier keys) and nearly bought this set of blanks from KBDfans...but it doesn't have a 1.75u right shift, which the DZ68 needs.

Is there anything out there that's like that set (all transparent), but will fit my PCB?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Scythe posted:

Is there anything out there that's like that set (all transparent), but will fit my PCB?
I think these (and other light POM keycaps) are translucent https://1upkeyboards.com/shop/keycaps/keysets/pom/pom-white-keyset/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cg6keYdQsg

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Scythe posted:

I recently got a DZ68RGB (aka DZ65RGB v1, I think) PCB as part of a SAMart buy and want to get new keycaps for it, but I can't find anything that matches the layout I want to use.

I remap Caps Lock so the left side will be Esc, Tab, Ctrl, Shift, then Fn/Meta/Alt. I also use both macOS and Windows, so on the Mac side I'll swap Ctrl and Meta (=Cmd) in the OS (because Ctrl+key in Windows and Cmd+key in macOS usually do the same thing, and Ctrl+key isn't used much on the mac side). I feel less strongly about the right side of the spacebar but would probably do something like Fn/Ctrl/Alt ideally (and haven't even gotten to my extra 4 keys above the arrow block, but probably want to do some media keys + pgup/pgdown/home/end over there).

I'd prefer OS-agnostic labels since technically my "Ctrl" moves around, but it seems essentially loving impossible to get a 1.75u CapsLock replacement keycap that says anything other than Ctrl, and then even if it does it won't have the right kind of symbols on 1.25u and 1u keys to match the rest of the modifier placements on the board, and it would piss the poo poo out of me to have two keys that are both Control/Cmd with mismatched labels (if I'm missing something, please link!).

So I started looking at blank keycap sets that were transparent (thinking I could just use the RGB to highlight modifier keys) and nearly bought this set of blanks from KBDfans...but it doesn't have a 1.75u right shift, which the DZ68 needs.

These aren't blank, but they are transparent.
https://drop.com/buy/keysterine-keycap-set?defaultSelectionIds=965918

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Scythe, you could also buy a pretty common set and then ask on mechmarket or a discord channel if someone else has that set and would give/sell you the individual caps you want.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up going with the Pom keycaps. Excited to go nuts with LED configuration.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Give me more xda key caps that aren’t clones you cowards.

Also, thinking of a new build. I love the bobas, but this next one I want clicky . Preferable between 55grams and 62 grams. Any recommendations on key switches in that range?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Kalih box pink

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I was going to suggest the new Zeal Clickiez but they're 40/75 oops.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Are the Boba clicky switches any good? They come in 62g but they rarely seem to get talked about compared to Boba linears/tactiles

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

repiv posted:

Are the Boba clicky switches any good? They come in 62g but they rarely seem to get talked about compared to Boba linears/tactiles

I didn't realise gazzew released clicky, I thought it was just silent tactile/tactile and silent linear/linear.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah exactly, most of Gazzews resellers don't even carry them, only his linears/tactiles

MKZealots on AliExpress has them though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmAtBAz2SE

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 11, 2022

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Trying to catch up on the thread, but in the meantime just wanted to share my weekend ErgoDox build:

Case and PCBs are from Profet keyboards, switches and caps from mechanicalkeyboards.com. Still looking for a good set of shine through alphanumeric caps because it's going to take some real breaking of my brain to figure out how to type on non-staggered rows. Definitely going to take some tinkering to figure out the most natural layout.

I also bought costar stabilizers, but I can't get the stupid things into the acrylic slots, so just gonna go without for now, seems fine so far. I'm sure it'll bug me enough to fix or figure out eventually. Board works great with the profile I uploaded, just waiting on some custom cable components to solder up from Zap Cables. That and I need to figure out how to get the rgb keys rgb-ing.

Obligatory cat tax:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 12, 2022

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

pseudanonymous posted:

How do I actually order something through one of these group buy things on geekhack.

It's been said, but yeah the OP usually lists vendors in the GB page.

What are you looking at if you don't mind me asking?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's been said, but yeah the OP usually lists vendors in the GB page.

What are you looking at if you don't mind me asking?

I saw the vendors but also artisans but nowhere did it say on such and such a date product will appear on vendors page.

Voynich manuscript keycaps is what I want:

MW Voynich IC page.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115714.0

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

I saw the vendors but also artisans but nowhere did it say on such and such a date product will appear on vendors page.

MW Voynich IC page.

Thats an interest check thread, when the GB goes live there'll be a group buy thread with the details.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

pseudanonymous posted:

MW Voynich IC page.

Holy poo poo, I think I need this too 😫 I'm not sure I'd like MW profile, though; also, I can't really seem to find much info on it. I'm guessing it's pretty similar to Cherry/OEM?

The Jnlybean deskmat looks awesome too, but I don't have a place to put one :(

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

MW is the manufacturer (Milky Way) and I'm pretty certain their sets are Cherry profile, Dyesub, PBT.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

After a full year of exclusively using the moonlander I think I'm ready to move to a new split keyboard. I'm going to use this thread to think out loud by describing my issues and my wants to help me figure out what to get next.

It was an excellent board to get started in the mech/split/ergo keyboard space for a lot of reasons - it was fully prebuilt so there was a very low barrier to entry (besides the price), and it got me very comfortable with a columnar layout. It also has an excellent configurator tool that made it very painless to spend a bunch of time experimenting with different layouts and layers which would have a lot more friction with something more custom or bespoke. But after using it for a while....

1) The thumb cluster. Frankly, it's terrible. The thumb keys are ridiculously far away, and not only is their angle with the thumb totally off, but the tenting (which I very much want to use) requires angling the keys even futher away from where they should be. I can only comfortably use the closest key in the cluster during normal typing, the second key is relegated to lesser used things like enter, which usually is used in a break from normal typing speed. The third key is basically unused except for rare shortcuts (like the win key). Ironically, the big red button gets a lot more use, I use it all day for window navigation shortcuts and layer switching (but not for typing), its large size and unique position actually make it pretty easy to reach without stretching with my larger than average hands.

2) The columnar layout. I've mentioned this in the thread before, but I'm not 100% sold on this layout. Often it feels like my fingers are moving a lot more than they would on a conventional staggered layout. I've seen discussions of this topic before and it sounds a bit like this is really exacerbated by QWERTY. I'll probably going to try Colmak at some point. That said, I also really don't like the standard staggered layout and don't want to go back to it - I'm thinking I just want some tweaks on the columnar layout, namely more dramatically shifted columns, especially on the pinky keys.

I've been digging around basically everywhere for the good alternatives and a few have jumped out, but the pool of options is narrowed quite a bit because I'm not interested in doing a full custom build right now. It's something I'd like to do at some point but I don't have the tools/space/inclination atm.

The sofle v2 looks basically perfect from a layout standpoint, but I'm not totally sold on how stripped down it is, I think I'd like to have a few more keys in the thumb and pinky areas. I do really love the idea of having knobs at my thumbs, though.

The ergodash has a great thumb area, but doesn't have any real layout differences in the columns compared to the moonlander. But it does have plenty of keys, which I like.

The other big worry I have moving to any other board is wrist posture. The whole reason I went with a split board is because I was developing an RSI, and the one thing the moonlander does perfectly that no other board does that I've seen is attached wrist/palm rests that adjust with your tenting angle. They're incredibly well-made and they make sure my wrists are always in a good position, and I know I'll never find another board that has that. Someday I'll have a 3D printer and the skills to design cases with these really personalized features, but today is not that day so I'll have to settle. What do you all do for your wrists, especially if you use a split board?

With my weird preferences and desire for something mostly put-together this is going to be a pretty expensive purchase, probably well north of $300, so I want to get something that I'm confident I'll be happy with for a while, and that'll help me narrow in on my perfect layout. At least until I can get a 3D printer.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

And to think I was doing do well not buying any keeb poo poo for almost 2 years.

NK87 from Novelkeys with the Cherry Stone keyset and TTC Matrix switches.

The Darkshake preorder they have on their site is a really good deal if you're in to that kind of thing.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Taffer posted:

The sofle v2 looks basically perfect from a layout standpoint, but I'm not totally sold on how stripped down it is, I think I'd like to have a few more keys in the thumb and pinky areas. I do really love the idea of having knobs at my thumbs, though.

If it helps, the Sofle is my writing keyboard- you can program in extra layers so if you're okay with two keystrokes for certain characters/actions that's a way through. Definitely hear you on the ortholinear, but the thumb area is absolutely the strength of this board. If you do go this way, get a long 3.5mm cable though, you're gonna want to pull it a bit further apart than the 6" most kits supply.

It's not something I terribly enjoy coding with, but I suppose I could put more effort into making a less stupid layer than I have currently

The combo of this plus adafruit macropad is pretty baller if you miss the keypad

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 13, 2022

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Taffer posted:

2) The columnar layout. I've mentioned this in the thread before, but I'm not 100% sold on this layout. Often it feels like my fingers are moving a lot more than they would on a conventional staggered layout. I've seen discussions of this topic before and it sounds a bit like this is really exacerbated by QWERTY. I'll probably going to try Colmak at some point. That said, I also really don't like the standard staggered layout and don't want to go back to it - I'm thinking I just want some tweaks on the columnar layout, namely more dramatically shifted columns, especially on the pinky keys.

Hm, not sure what is giving you this impression. Are you touch typing from the home row ("proper" typing)? If so, a columnar layout should be literally the least distance traveled for any particular finger to hit any particular key.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pvt. Parts posted:

Hm, not sure what is giving you this impression. Are you touch typing from the home row ("proper" typing)? If so, a columnar layout should be literally the least distance traveled for any particular finger to hit any particular key.

Yes I am touch typing, but the staggered layout offers shortcuts from the theoretically "correct" finger responsibility that make travel time shorter in some cases. Moving index finger from resting on F to T, for example, is much shorter travel than on a columnar board. But I think the most dramatic change is in the pinky. The dreaded shift key (which I haven't moved, because of the annoying thumb cluster on the moonlander as mentioned) is considerably further away from the natural resting position on a columnar layout, forcing your whole hand to move down to the bottom left/right, making everything stretch more. I know shift on pinky is bad, but sometimes it's just what you've got. :shrug:

I think for me the biggest struggle is just key combos that make my hand do contortions. The more I think about it the more convinced I am that I need to not only move to a keyboard with better thumb keys, but also stop using QWERTY, because it's been aggravating me more and more in recent months.

I know a popular alternative is home-row mods, but for me those are unusable, the change in key register from keydown to keyup throws everything off.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Pinky shift is already one of the biggest problems on standard staggered qwerty, so if columnar makes that stuff worse it doesn't sound like it's really solving much. If you have to learn and utilize an entirely different alpha arrangement in addition to the hardware change to get any benefit, then it's not the hardware change that's helping you.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I can't imagine not using thumb shift on a split, it's a significant benefit imo

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

I can't imagine not using thumb shift on a split, it's a significant benefit imo

Do you just use that on one side, or both? What do you use other thumb keys for? I'm always struggling to figure out the best way to utilize thumb keys, because there's so much stuff I want to put there.

Unsinkabear posted:

Pinky shift is already one of the biggest problems on standard staggered qwerty, so if columnar makes that stuff worse it doesn't sound like it's really solving much. If you have to learn and utilize an entirely different alpha arrangement in addition to the hardware change to get any benefit, then it's not the hardware change that's helping you.

Overall columnar is better. Or at least, it's not worse - it just has different tradeoffs. I shifted to a split/columnar board because of persistent pain, and that's gone now. The hardware change was a massive benefit, but it's just far from ideal, so I'm trying to narrow down the next changes I can make to make the experience better. Some of that will be hardware, some of it will be key configuration.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Taffer posted:

Do you just use that on one side, or both? What do you use other thumb keys for? I'm always struggling to figure out the best way to utilize thumb keys, because there's so much stuff I want to put there.
"Home" thumb keys: space and one-shot shift, the others are backspace and layers.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I just installed Miryoku on my 5x15 ortho keyboard and called it a day pretty much. Incredible layout and with a bit of practice and tweaking (don't forget the tweaking!!) you too can enjoy the awesomeness that is home row mods. See here for more info on home row mods and how to make them work for you.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Speaking of home row, is there a good place to get those extra-scooped homing keys you see on some keycap sets? I definitely want them for the DSA set I have coming, but I think it might also be nice for Cherry profile if that's a thing that exists.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

"Home" thumb keys: space and one-shot shift, the others are backspace and layers.

Where do you put ctrl? Standard pinky spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
For now, though I wonder if it's better on a thumb.