Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah i store it in the bag it came in, which is still sort of stuffed but not a compression sack. I've never washed it but it might indeed be time for a new bag, especially now that I can afford a step up from the basic REI synthetic one.

I think I can even donate my old one to a group that gives them to unhoused people, so I'll look up how to wash it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Verman posted:

They can, especially if it's been stored compressed in a stuff sack for extended periods. Synthetic insulation breaks down over time, it's no l going to happen eventually. Also, have you ever washed it? Washing it might help, but especially if you dry it with some tennis balls to refluff it. It also might just be time to replace it. A decade of significant use is pretty good for a synthetic bag.

Washing sleeping bags is key. My wife sleeps cold at the best of times and started getting colder and colder on our trips until we washed hers. Especially if you hike in and get really sweaty or do longer multi day trips - all the oil and grime from your skin gets into the insulation and mats it down.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MrAmazing posted:

Washing sleeping bags is key. My wife sleeps cold at the best of times and started getting colder and colder on our trips until we washed hers. Especially if you hike in and get really sweaty or do longer multi day trips - all the oil and grime from your skin gets into the insulation and mats it down.

One of the true selling points for a bag liner in my opinion. Does little to actual add warmth but keeps your bag clean, and if you're hot can be used as a sheet.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
As someone who is prone to sleeping hot and sweating, a bag liner is very key. Totally agree there.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Does it ever feel like you’re caught in a fishing net in your sleep?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not anymore than sleeping in a bag does IMO.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My liner gets tangled sometimes, but it's fine. I wish it was attached to the bag. I usually don't use it though and put on a fresh pair of clothes to sleep in at night. Hopefully that keeps the oils and grime off the bag.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Looking for a bigger tent, 4-6p. Looking for good ventilation(South-East coast camping), and awnings that can be held up by poles to make a porch. I'm including the 6p sizes since I'm thinking bigger tent means humidity could dissipate easier than a smaller one, even though a 4p is what I'd need.

I like the style of the Marmot Halo 6p, with that extra pole to give it an even bigger awning(which the 4p forgoes), but its always sold out (was it in my shopping cart this month, before I dithered on the price and it got soldout at the end of the day)

The Kelty Rumpus 4/6p look like a copy of the Marmot but seems lower quality/no reviews for it. I think it barely counts as waterproof and has no rip-stop material?

Big Agnes Bunk house is straight wall variant. but I'm not sure on the ventilation capabilities, also since its straight wall, I'm worried about wind, but people say Big Agnes make some top tier tents.

I think those are the only close matches. Everything else has the awning opening direct/inches away from the tent edge, like the Marmot Limestone and such. Am I missing anything/ or any other recommendations?

Anybody know about Snow Peak tents, like Snow Peak Amenity Domes, besides some of them having an insane price tag?

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Does anyone have experience with the Copper Spur UL3? Looking to pick one up to replace an aging and torn up Halfdome that's seen a lot of use and abuse. My wife and I would be the sole occupants and would be using it on backpacking trips 4-5x per year from 1 night to 5 night trips. It obviously has great reviews, just looking for some more insight.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

marsisol posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Copper Spur UL3? Looking to pick one up to replace an aging and torn up Halfdome that's seen a lot of use and abuse. My wife and I would be the sole occupants and would be using it on backpacking trips 4-5x per year from 1 night to 5 night trips. It obviously has great reviews, just looking for some more insight.

We use the Copper Spur UL3 for two people and a dog and it’s good, OP. It replaced an MSR Hubba Hubba 2-person for us. The MSR packed down smaller but that’s expected since it was a smaller tent. This has a good amount of space, where we both have ample room up top and the dog has his own space down at our feet. We’ve not had much occasion to use the vestibule doors as sun shades like they advertise so I can’t comment on that. I will say that the material is vey thin - it seems thinner than the MSR and the dog tore a hole in it when he got excited and started digging a nest before bed one night, so I guess we’ll be testing out Big Agnes’ repair service. If you have any specific questions just ask.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

marsisol posted:

Just incase, everestgear currently has one bikepack version left of it on sale right now. Couldn't tell you the difference between the regular and bikepack version. From a cursory glance they have the same dimensions and type of materials.

https://www.everestgear.com/cosphvul3bit.html

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Awesome, thanks - pretty interested to try the awning system (even though I'll probably use it once and forget about it).

Hoping to grab it with the next REI20 coupon but seems like they're currently out of stock.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

bikepack version iirc just has poles that break down into shorter segments to make it easier to stuff into bike bags

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’m looking for some new trail running shoes that I can also wear around town on a rainy day. I ordered some merrel moab speed GTX, but the size 12 is too cramped in the toe box and my heel lifts, so I’m going tk return them. Merrel seems to be out of stock in 12.5 for drat near every shoe.

What are some other brands or shoes I should consider? For reference, I’ve found salomon to be too narrow, although I haven’t tried their wide sizing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Topo makes some seriously wide toe boxes. I have some trail runners from them that I like fine.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

altra is the other primary option for wide toeboxes. i don't get any heel lift in my lone peaks either.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I'm gonna try Lone Peaks next because everyone seems to love them.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I should have clarified, I don’t have particularly wide feet, but they’re on the wider side of regular. Standard New Balance 880s in 12.5 fit drat near perfectly

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

altras and topos arent really for wide feet per se, but they have a wider than normal toe box to let your toes splay out a bit more than traditional shoes. the heel cup and midfoot are pretty normal width. my wife says they look like clown shoes because of this.

if that not what you're after, salomons are also too narrow for me too, and i've found brooks shoes generally fit pretty well. la sportiva *can* work but they have sort of a range of widths in their line-up. ultra raptors and jackals might be worth checking out, bushidos less so. scarpa approach shoes also fit me really well but i don't have any experience with their trail runners.

since you know NBs work for you, have you considered NB trail runners? https://www.newbalance.com/pd/fresh-foam-arishi-trail-gtx/MTARISG1-32899.html

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

I’m looking for some new trail running shoes that I can also wear around town on a rainy day. I ordered some merrel moab speed GTX, but the size 12 is too cramped in the toe box and my heel lifts, so I’m going tk return them. Merrel seems to be out of stock in 12.5 for drat near every shoe.

What are some other brands or shoes I should consider? For reference, I’ve found salomon to be too narrow, although I haven’t tried their wide sizing.

I'm in the same case as you (big & wide feet), and the Salomon Sense Ride fit my feet perfectly. I've also heard good things about the Adidas Terrex Swift R3 but I'm wary of their sizing.
For every brand, there are models that run on the larger or narrower in my experience.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah I'm gonna try Lone Peaks next because everyone seems to love them.

They're fantastic in dirt. On pavement or rocks the tread is so aggressive I feel less stable because the cleats flex as my weight mushes them.

I won't wear them for in town stuff because of it, it feels that uncomfortable to me.

Stupendous everywhere else though!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

post hole digger posted:

my wife says they look like clown shoes because of this.

She’s right but idgaf they’re so comfy

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Anyone with hands on experience with the MSR Guardian have some feedback on it? Ive read a fair bit about it online and it seems like a good choice for me but its always nice to hear from people that I feel are reliable.

I understand the main draw backs of the Guardian are its heavy, bulky, and pricey. I just want something that will be reliable, require little thought on my part, and when needed produce a gently caress ton of water without a ton of effort. Water is such a make of break type of thing Im willing to pay out the nose for a system that will do this.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

post hole digger posted:

altras and topos arent really for wide feet per se, but they have a wider than normal toe box to let your toes splay out a bit more than traditional shoes. the heel cup and midfoot are pretty normal width. my wife says they look like clown shoes because of this.

Some of the Merrie trail runners do this too and its absolutely ridiculous how they look. Its totally worth it though because being able to stretch and wiggle your toes with ease it great.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Anyone with hands on experience with the MSR Guardian have some feedback on it? Ive read a fair bit about it online and it seems like a good choice for me but its always nice to hear from people that I feel are reliable.

I understand the main draw backs of the Guardian are its heavy, bulky, and pricey. I just want something that will be reliable, require little thought on my part, and when needed produce a gently caress ton of water without a ton of effort. Water is such a make of break type of thing Im willing to pay out the nose for a system that will do this.

Outdoor gear lab loves it other than the price and size - https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/backpacking-water-filter/msr-guardian-purifier

I've considered getting one myself several times.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Okay I posted earlier about my ailing 13 year old synthetic sleeping bag. I think I'm gonna replace / upgrade to down with my REI coupon. Any general advice, or is it just get the lightest/packable-est down bag at my size and desired temperature that I care to afford?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’d say so, yeah. You might want to look at some of the “spoon shaped” bags if you’re a stomach sleeper but most of the major brands are pretty similar.

Cosmic Down is the pick if you’re on a limited budget

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 20, 2022

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've got a REI Co-op Trailbreak 30 Sleeping Bag that came with the backpacking bundle. It's a mummy bag and it's not for me. I understand the design decisions with the mummy bags, but I don't like the mummy feeling. There's no space and I can't move.

Also I'm a hot sleeper. I'm reading a 30 degree bag is supposed to be good for all seasons, especially summer???? This thing is an oven at 50 degrees outside temperature.

Am I in the market for a quilt?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Honestly, i sleep hot too and I hate being confined, and every time I camp out, wish I would have gotten a quilt instead of a mummy for my 3 season bag :(

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Each bag is going to be different. My 12 year old REI 15° down bag is good into the 20s with an insulated pad. I wash it every few years to keep it clean and fluffy. It really helps.

My 15° big Agnes synthetic is good to maybe 30 at best with the same pad.

With down, get the highest rated fill you can for the price. 800 goose fill is ideal if you can swing it vs say 550 duck fill. It will be warmer, lighter, and pack smaller.

I like mummy bags for when it's cold. When looking for bags, I like a mummy that zips down to the foot box. If it's warm out, or not very cold, I'll unzip it all the way open and use it like a blanket. It works surprisingly well even when you toss and turn. Part of me wishes hoods were able to zip off for this quilt type usage. But when its cold, definitely a mummy bag and hood.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I've got a REI Co-op Trailbreak 30 Sleeping Bag that came with the backpacking bundle. It's a mummy bag and it's not for me. I understand the design decisions with the mummy bags, but I don't like the mummy feeling. There's no space and I can't move.

Also I'm a hot sleeper. I'm reading a 30 degree bag is supposed to be good for all seasons, especially summer???? This thing is an oven at 50 degrees outside temperature.

If you still want a regular sleeping bag but with room to move you can look at the spoon shaped bags like the Nemo Disco and other brands. I was in the same boat, hated my feet being confined. Got the Disco and now I can thrash around all night long.

Only downside is that because it's wider at the footbox it doesn't stay as warm as something like a mummy bag.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Also North Face and Big Agnes have made multilayer bags that you can combine for different temperatures at the cost of some weight and space savings.

North Face sells a hoodless rectangle, or a hooded mummy version.

While the Big Agnes sells several versions that differ by combined temperature and type of loft used, but are always a combo outer-quilt like bag(zipper that goes 3/4 down to a footbox) and a mummy bag.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nemo is super comfy, yeah. A little heavier and bulkier than a mummy, but worth it to me.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
My Camelbak is starting to leak in weird places, and I do not think I can make proper repairs, lasted me a good 8 years so I cannot complain to much. However I always disliked how diffilcult it was to clean, and I noticed how some of the new ones open up for easier cleaning. Are these durable and leak proof? I hate having the inside of my rucksack all wet...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Dick Ripple posted:

My Camelbak is starting to leak in weird places, and I do not think I can make proper repairs, lasted me a good 8 years so I cannot complain to much. However I always disliked how diffilcult it was to clean, and I noticed how some of the new ones open up for easier cleaning. Are these durable and leak proof? I hate having the inside of my rucksack all wet...

The bladders I have with a zip open top flap (osprey and platypus) don't have a problem with leaks after several years. They're 100% easier to clean/dry out and I've never had an issue with leaks.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Verman posted:

The bladders I have with a zip open top flap (osprey and platypus) don't have a problem with leaks after several years. They're 100% easier to clean/dry out and I've never had an issue with leaks.

Same. I tend not to use them unless I'm taking a trip out in the SW part of the country but the flap tops are 100% the way to go.

Picked up a nice Boreal 21 inch take down bow saw in anticipation of a trail maintenance trip this April with my REI coupon.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

30F can be typical-to-warm for summer nights out west, If you're expecting nighttime temps 50F or higher, any down mummy bag might be pretty warm. Quilts are certainly more versatile when it's warm out, and work just fine at their temperature rating too. For temps that warm, you don't really need a sleeping bag at all though (a liner + some clothes may be enough)

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
How are Arcteryx aerios bags? Thinking of picking up the smaller size as my go-to urban hike/woods day hike bag. The light grey looks so sick

Also been thinking about the hyperlite day bag, which is 30L to take for longer treks. Anyone try it out? Any similar bags or alternatives I should consider?

gently caress it i’ll just buy em all, I love a good backpack

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Anyone with hands on experience with the MSR Guardian have some feedback on it?

My first one snapped mid camping trip. And I don’t mean I broke the handle or something, an internal part broke that rendered it unusable and not fixable. MEC (the Canadian REI equivalent at the time) replaced it.

The replacement is still going strong, but that’s possibly because I almost never use it. The best and fastest pump filter in the world (and that may just be the Guardian) is still so much more effort than a gravity filter. I bought a Platypus GravityWorks years ago and haven’t looked back.

Unless you need the virus filtering qualities of the Guardian (or that it can freeze and not be wrecked), go with a gravity filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What should I spend my $37 dividend and 20% coupon on at REI? I asked my 5 year old and he wants me to stock up on freeze dried mac and cheese, rather than something useful or good tasting.