Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

About drat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rodney The Yam II posted:

I just tried a new character with roaming mode. The first thing that happened was I crapped my pants backstage in front of my dad. I got made fun of in the gym because of it. I wrestled my debut match and won, then went to sleep at the hotel. The next morning I awoke to my manager taking a poo poo in my hotel toilet. I got a telephone call in which an unknown enemy threatened my life. Then, a stranger burst through my door and we wrestled furiously. I body slammed him into the sink and then he had me in a headlock. My manager sat on the can, watching. My alarm went off, my wrestling match was soon! I fought out of the headlock, kicked my assailant in the crotch and then ran out the door. I didn't want to be late for work!

Ok, for real... Is this poo poo in the game? Because :drat:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, for real... Is this poo poo in the game? Because :drat:

MDickie is truly a one-of-a-kind developer.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

It's mdickie so you have to love janky N64 wrestling games to enjoy it. It's completely absurd and very much in the spirit of pro wrestling

Admittedly I have no point of reference for 'mdickie' so that doesn't mean anything to me...but honestly enough the last wrestling game was on the N64 so this might work out :thunk:

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Morter posted:

Admittedly I have no point of reference for 'mdickie' so that doesn't mean anything to me...but honestly enough the last wrestling game was on the N64 so this might work out :thunk:

If you want a taste of his style, you could try one of his mobile games. The one where you're a high school student is hilarious. Everything is built on a wrestling engine so you're always wrestling your way through life

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The wise man bows his head and asks his koan...

Is it still a bootleg cart once Reggie signs it?

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Dot Hack//GU collection just dropped out of nowhere like ????

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The You Testament would be perfect on the Switch.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Solar Tornado posted:

Dot Hack//GU collection just dropped out of nowhere like ????

Yes. Wasn't much advertising. There are physical copies from Bandai and Playasia.

Speaking of unknown titles, didn't know this was coming out soon too.

https://www.nisamerica.com/cruel-king/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is it worth waiting and spending the extra on Rune Factory 5 when 4 is significantly cheaper? It would.be a gift for someone that's never played a game in the series

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Mega64 posted:

The You Testament would be perfect on the Switch.

All of them. All of them would be perfect on Switch

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

Probably. From what I've heard, a lot of bootleg shoes are made in the same factories and materials as the authentic product, by the same factory workers, outside of normal company hours.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I always wanted to try .hack,maybe this is the opportunity. Am I right in that this new switch game includes all of them?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Len posted:

Is it worth waiting and spending the extra on Rune Factory 5 when 4 is significantly cheaper? It would.be a gift for someone that's never played a game in the series

From what I've seen, no.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

glassyalabolas posted:

Yes. Wasn't much advertising. There are physical copies from Bandai and Playasia.

I just assume that most NIS that aren't Disgaea will magically pop up on stores the day they come out without any warning or fanfare.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Reggie from out of nowhere with the flying elbow drop on Mother fans.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Probably. From what I've heard, a lot of bootleg shoes are made in the same factories and materials as the authentic product, by the same factory workers, outside of normal company hours.

Low-end guitars are notoriously this way. Everything under $600 is made in the same three Indonesian or Chinese factories, so they will tool up to do 10K $300 Epiphones, then just keep rolling and do another 5K and sell them on Amazon for 200 bucks under an ALL CAPS company name.

QA will be perfect on the early ones, the brand will build a reputation for being good, and then it will trail off and then disappear over the course of a few months. People blame it on all sorts of stuff, but it's probably literally just the QA getting shoddy at the end of a single shift where they run the entire batch.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I always wanted to try .hack,maybe this is the opportunity. Am I right in that this new switch game includes all of them?

Its only the GU series in this one.

They're alright if I remember them correctly. But the original quadrilogy is a much better story, imo. If you got a couple thousand bucks you can buy the originals on ps2 used from ebay. If not, :filez:

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

nachos posted:

I fell asleep at least 4 times trying to get through the first couple chapters in the demo.

drat this game sounds good

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Solar Tornado posted:

They're alright if I remember them correctly. But the original quadrilogy is a much better story, imo. If you got a couple thousand bucks you can buy the originals on ps2 used from ebay. If not, :filez:

I still have my originals, with the guides. And the person I bought them from threw in this giant poison Grunty plush. All for 1/5 of their current cost :smuggo:

But yeah, GU was terrible, as a long time fan of series one and all it's stuff outside the games. I don't know if GU has this same issue, but the later game (part 3 and 4 specifically) of the originals had this really bad issue where the screen will flash white noise. And it got more constant as the series went on. To the point that it was actually causing me to get a little sick for a few days after playing a few hours. I'm not super photo sensitive. But it could be an issue to look out for for some people.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Wrestling Empire updates have been on fire. Today the new "roaming mode" finally brings you an open world to wrestle in. OPEN WORLD WRESTLING my goons

This game rules

gently caress yes. i have been waiting for this for a year. this game is a masterpiece

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How are the genesis games that come with the expanded Switch Online service compared to the ones in the genesis classics collection?

The genesis classics collection has terrible lag all around, which makes playing Streets of Rage 2 a complete pain. Yes, I would buy the expanded service just for SOR2, I love it that much

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Solar Tornado posted:

The story in the original 4 games was better but the gameplay was dire, GU's gameplay isn't great either but it's at least tolerable. I'd kill for a remake of them with better combat.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How are the genesis games that come with the expanded Switch Online service compared to the ones in the genesis classics collection?

The genesis classics collection has terrible lag all around, which makes playing Streets of Rage 2 a complete pain. Yes, I would buy the expanded service just for SOR2, I love it that much

It’s much better

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Weedle posted:

gently caress yes. i have been waiting for this for a year. this game is a masterpiece

Right?! I played it to death in original career mode but then put it down for a while. The recent booking mode update was really cool, but way too much work for me. Then I got into watching AEW and I started having fun running my own storylines in exhibition mode.

But this? This is another level. GOTC

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hatty posted:

It’s much better

Nice! I'm off to get the expansion and uninstall genesis classics, I guess

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Only a complete sicko would get the pass for streets of rage 2 over paper mario

Weedle
May 31, 2006

*nailing my post to the church door* streets of rage 4 is better than 2

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Weedle posted:

Very different games. SOR4 is really good too, but I've been playing 2 since I was a youngun, so its different. Plus I have SOR4 on the switch already and it runs great, unlike SOR2 in the Genesis Classics collection

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Time for def jam 2

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I remember saying that Disco Elysium would be my "night time" game. And it is, but gently caress me I can't sleep with it. It's so good. I usually just let me Switch drain out completely when I play it. I've put in I don't know how many hours and I'm only just finishing D2! I wonder how long the game is because I'm taking my sweet time.

People mentioned the old Baldur's Gates and Planescape or something. These are similar? I didn't know I wanted games like these so badly. I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity, but the sequel doesn't seem like it'll be showing up and as cool as Divinity 2 looks like, the fact that it's 2 somehow turns me off due to my obsessive nature.

Weedle posted:

No one is necessarily saying it isn't. They're different.

As broken as it would be I'd love to have the chance to take a SoR4 character through the levels of the other games. I wish that had been in a DLC at some point. It'd be would be super cathartic.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bug Squash posted:

It's not a bootleg at all. You know the game actually came out in Japan, right?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Did real GBA cartridges use that kind of screw? I thought they used gamebit ones.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Hrist posted:

I still have my originals, with the guides. And the person I bought them from threw in this giant poison Grunty plush. All for 1/5 of their current cost :smuggo:

But yeah, GU was terrible, as a long time fan of series one and all it's stuff outside the games. I don't know if GU has this same issue, but the later game (part 3 and 4 specifically) of the originals had this really bad issue where the screen will flash white noise. And it got more constant as the series went on. To the point that it was actually causing me to get a little sick for a few days after playing a few hours. I'm not super photo sensitive. But it could be an issue to look out for for some people.

That k you for this. Wife is epileptic so flashing white screens aren't cool.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

jackhunter64 posted:

Did real GBA cartridges use that kind of screw? I thought they used gamebit ones.

No they used triwing screws

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

reggie lost the mandate of heaven (nintendo) and has no say over mother 3

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 13, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

glassyalabolas posted:

I mentioned this earlier in the thread! I watched someone on Youtube play it, it was in Japanese so I didn't understand the story or anything but it looked like good old fashioned turn based JRPG combat, with really nice art. I'm looking forward to it though I won't be able to buy it on release, it's on my wish list though and I hope to get into it someday soon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I assume the simplified abilities are more so that you can add more to them as you upgrade them. The new version of the bomb though is really great, I have never been a fan of the bomb powerup but I found it the most useful one during the demo

Coming back to this, probably likely yeah. I got a chance to play as Bandana Dee when someone else was trying out the demo. Bandana Dee's moveset feels a lot fuller (though missing some moves since it's a 3D space) so it's likely that Kirby's base move sets just don't have their full potential unlocked yet until after some upgrades since they'll likely be brought up to Bandana Dee's level later on in the game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

We don't know yet.
4 is really good and 5 looks to be more of the same but fully 3d.

I cannot wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

FFX still excellent. I seriously love the puzzle aspect to the battles. I beat this guy just before the Gagazet caverns that took me a little bit of figuring out (died twice), but the way that Buffs/Debuffs actually work in this game is super nice. Had to stop just at the exit of the cavern, I started a boss fight but I'll probably restart it when I get back to the game since I want to play Disco Elysium in the meantime.

Starting to wonder if I wouldn't like SMT. The battle system seems nice. It's the Fusing and Collecting that I really don't care much about whenever I hear about it.

Regarding the revelations that come up afterwards: I got to say I really like the twist about Tidus and Zanarkand. Like a lot. I was ok with the parallel dimension narrative I had built up for myself and while "It was all a dream" is a horrible cop-out of a tale, it actually holds up here for some reason. I'm still a bit curious what makes Tidus and Pops so special, but what exactly Sin's deal is, but it's a nice revelation that equals some of the classic twists, like Cloud being a nobody from VII or Zidane's whole deal in IX. It doesn't quite hit as hard as Kefka winning in VI but very little does. And while it's just as hack as "time travel" in VIII, it manages to stick the landing far better (Sorry Zulily...), probably because there's a solid narrative line between Fayth, summoners, and the like. Again FFX continues to be immensely satisfying and I think it'll easily be my favorite FF if not my 2nd favorite due to the nostalgia VI has on me. It's an excellent game.