Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Not sure if it changes later on, but I got a real “don’t get attached to units” vibe from Slaanesh. Like it’s about merging/quick recruit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm really wondering how they're going to make the vamps work with the magic changes. Since you can't stack knowledgeable lords, you can't use Arcane Conduit to get more winds, and there's a hard cap on the reserve... yeah. That's going to be an interesting problem to solve, considering that vamp magic is a key component of how they murder poo poo.

Combined with the reinforcement changes, they're going to be one of the factions most affected by WH3 changes. I kinda feel like they're going to suffer until Neferata shows up with a rework in tow.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah but this is seriously ridiculous, it has basically ruined this campaign. Look at this poo poo:

8 turns to replenish that amount of health :psyduck:. If I take any damage in a fight my options now are to re-recruit the entire army or just sit in a settlement building replenishing for the rest of time.

Protip: never fight nurgle as Slaneesh or you risk getting a replenishment penalty that will destroy your game

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 13, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

There are supposed to be 84 tongue beasts here and I see only 82 tongue beasts so I’m thinking game over

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gonkish posted:

I'm really wondering how they're going to make the vamps work with the magic changes. Since you can't stack knowledgeable lords, you can't use Arcane Conduit to get more winds, and there's a hard cap on the reserve... yeah. That's going to be an interesting problem to solve, considering that vamp magic is a key component of how they murder poo poo.

Combined with the reinforcement changes, they're going to be one of the factions most affected by WH3 changes. I kinda feel like they're going to suffer until Neferata shows up with a rework in tow.
Hero/lord/unit access to magic intensity would make sense. Corpse carts or mortis engines giving the same effect as the Cathay Compasses immediately jumps to mind, but a hero trait or skill that gives the same would also work easily. Sure you cant cast Nehek as much, but now you can cast it better.

Maybe it comes with a blood magic style downside if that's too good: activate a skill that gives + intensity and +% miscast or something.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I keep getting a smattering of items in game that say they generate reserves but I've also heard this effect does not seem to be working in regards to Tzeentch?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah but this is seriously ridiculous, it has basically ruined this campaign. Look at this poo poo:

8 turns to replenish that amount of health :psyduck:. If I take any damage in a fight my options now are to re-recruit the entire army or just sit in a settlement building replenishing for the rest of time.

Protip: never fight nurgle as Slaneesh or you risk getting a replenishment penalty that will destroy your game

Is that a plague? What's the duration on it? Or is it a lord trait you might remove in a province/capital (or getting the lord killed to avoid a bugged supply line and replacing it)? Penalty to replenishment in a high nurgle corruption province?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Staltran posted:

Is that a plague? What's the duration on it? Or is it a lord trait you might remove in a province/capital (or getting the lord killed to avoid a bugged supply line and replacing it)? Penalty to replenishment in a high nurgle corruption province?

It's the generic "Corrupted by Nurgle" trait you get from being in a region with high Nurgle corruption. It's unremovable unlike the Realm of Chaos traits, and it affects your replenishment which is a death-nail for Slaanesh + Tzeentch cause they barely have any.

You can get round it by replacing lords or just recruiting new units, but it's horrible to get on N'kari or Kairos. Plus recruiting new units makes the later red line buffs fairly pointless.

Edit: Technically I do think it is removeable, but you have to be in a region with low Chaos corruption (it doesn't differ between the types) which y'know, you're playing as N'kari or Kairos :v:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 13, 2022

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Hey guys I have a lot of questions and many of them will make me seem like a complete noob but:

I've played about 6-9 turns of every faction so far just to get a feel, I didn't preorder. I played 75 turns as Kislev Tsarina and I didn't understand what I was doing entirely.

I got some tips last year which were useful (don't wait around for units to build back up in strength for 3-5 turns, just merge and dismiss to save money and buy new guys)

- How devastating is it for you to lose an entire army of 20 units? Especially if they're your powerful army? Did you basically gently caress up your entire campaign?

- Sometimes I'll go like 10+ turns in a row where I don't really make any progress or spend a huge, almost infuriating amount of time loving around on the world map moving armies to deal with invaders from various places and waiting for new units to be recruited. This is kind of concerning because a lot of other people I see will cheerily just paint the map turn by turn and not worry too much. Am I loving up?

- is there an 'objectively' good order of conquest for Kislev or should I just be going for whatever's easiest to capture?

- How many armies should you have 'on the go' at a time? This is for the Kislev campaign, I'm gonna start again as the Tsarina

- someone I was playing vermintide with told me that the game likes to throw curveballs at you from time to time, so while it won't make a ton of sense for a faction to suddenly have a super-doomstack, it does because they don't really want the game to be piss-easy and have you effectively win it by turn 80 and have to wait till turn 130 just mopping up. is this true or am I just not catching guys before they become too strong?

- I'm seriously intimidated by the demon portal things and never went into them, I figured you'd need an endgame doomstack army to survive. Am I being way too cautious?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Hey guys I have a lot of questions and many of them will make me seem like a complete noob but:

I've played about 6-9 turns of every faction so far just to get a feel, I didn't preorder. I played 75 turns as Kislev Tsarina and I didn't understand what I was doing entirely.

I got some tips last year which were useful (don't wait around for units to build back up in strength for 3-5 turns, just merge and dismiss to save money and buy new guys)

- How devastating is it for you to lose an entire army of 20 units? Especially if they're your powerful army? Did you basically gently caress up your entire campaign?

- Sometimes I'll go like 10+ turns in a row where I don't really make any progress or spend a huge, almost infuriating amount of time loving around on the world map moving armies to deal with invaders from various places and waiting for new units to be recruited. This is kind of concerning because a lot of other people I see will cheerily just paint the map turn by turn and not worry too much. Am I loving up?

- is there an 'objectively' good order of conquest for Kislev or should I just be going for whatever's easiest to capture?

- How many armies should you have 'on the go' at a time? This is for the Kislev campaign, I'm gonna start again as the Tsarina

- someone I was playing vermintide with told me that the game likes to throw curveballs at you from time to time, so while it won't make a ton of sense for a faction to suddenly have a super-doomstack, it does because they don't really want the game to be piss-easy and have you effectively win it by turn 80 and have to wait till turn 130 just mopping up. is this true or am I just not catching guys before they become too strong?

- I'm seriously intimidated by the demon portal things and never went into them, I figured you'd need an endgame doomstack army to survive. Am I being way too cautious?

1) It's not great but recoverable, just focus on playing defensively for a bit until you can rebuild. Your economy will boom for a bit when you lose a stack because you're not paying its upkeep, so it's just a waiting game until you can rebuild it.

2) You can beat WH3's current campaign specifically with just your starting province if you felt like it. Sometimes you'll go stretches without expanding and it's something you shouldn't get worked up about. As long as you're not rapidly losing territory, you're grand.

3) I haven't played Kislev so can't help with this.

4) Usually the answer to this is as many as your economy can support. As a more rough estimate for mid game, you should have 1-2 armies leading your conquests with other armies in reserve to defend your territory.

5) I'm not really getting what your friend means but they're probably saying "this faction who didn't pay much notice to you has now declared war on you", which means they'll be sending all their armies your way. TW AI is dumb and cheats which is a series mainstay and will send armies across the map to mess with you, hence why having some armies in reserve to defend yourself is advised. If you're really worried about curveballs, just save frequently and be prepared to jump back 5-10 turns to prepare for it.

6) You will literally lose the campaign if you don't pursue the portals. The Chaos Realms scale with difficulty as the game progresses so you can enter with your turn 20 army when they first open and be fine.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 13, 2022

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Blooming Brilliant posted:

1) It's not great but recoverable, just focus on playing defensively for a bit until you can rebuild. Your economy will boom for a bit when you lose a stack because you're not paying its upkeep, so it's just a waiting game until you can rebuild it.

2) You can beat WH3's current campaign specifically with just your starting province if you felt like it. Sometimes you'll go stretches without expanding and it's something you shouldn't get worked up about. As long as you're not rapidly losing territory, you're grand.

3) I haven't played Kislev so can't help with this.

4) Usually the answer to this is as many as your economy can support. As a more rough estimate for mid game, you should have 1-2 armies leading your conquests with other armies in reserve to defend your territory.

5) I'm not really getting what your friend means but they're probably saying "this faction who didn't pay much notice to you has now declared war on you", which means they'll be sending all their armies your way. TW AI is dumb and cheats which is a series mainstay and will send armies across the map to mess with you, hence why having some armies in reserve to defend yourself is advised. If you're really worried about curveballs, just save frequently and be prepared to jump back 5-10 turns to prepare for it.

6) You will literally lose the campaign if you don't pursue the portals. The Chaos Realms scale with difficulty as the game progresses so you can enter with your turn 20 army when they first open and be fine.

Cool. What defines "mid-game"? Turn 50-60?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

It's the generic "Corrupted by Nurgle" trait you get from being in a region with high Nurgle corruption. It's unremovable unlike the Realm of Chaos traits, and it affects your replenishment which is a death-nail for Slaanesh + Tzeentch cause they barely have any.

You can get round it by replacing lords or just recruiting new units, but it's horrible to get on N'kari or Kairos. Plus recruiting new units makes the later red line buffs fairly pointless.

Edit: Technically I do think it is removeable, but you have to be in a region with low Chaos corruption (it doesn't differ between the types) which y'know, you're playing as N'kari or Kairos :v:

It's a bug in the script that handles the removal of those traits, I'm using a mod that fixes that crap to something way more sensible.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Cool. What defines "mid-game"? Turn 50-60?

Yeah roughly, it's a bit hard to pin down exactly. I'd say late game roughly starts around 80-90-ish if that helps?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

1) it isn't. Losing it very early on can be painful because you will lose the advanced units you start with, but it definitely isnt game-ending. If it is your faction leader's army you're basically suffering the cost of having your lord be wounded for 5 turns and having to re-recruit their units. That won't take much time and in the meantime you aren't paying upkeep on the now-dead army.

2) doing nothing isnt great, but defending your territory and recruiting more units is doing something. Try using the ambush stance to get enemies to fight you if you're constantly finding yourself fruitlessly chasing enemies.

3) Not really. My personal thought is that you should immediately conquer the oblast to your east, owned by the rebel Kislevites (Roppsmann clan) and then conquer Praag. At that point you have the skaven in Hellpit and the Baersonlings in the oblast to the northeast. I like moving to the Baersonlings next, securing that province, then swinging to conquer Hellpit. That gets you to the first set of portals in a fairly defensive position and from there you have a lot of options. None of that is defined and many other people will have different ideas.

4) whatever you can afford. As a general idea, once my main stack(s) are fielding the most advanced armies I have access to, I'll look at my spare income. If it is over 2 or 3k, its past time for another army. This changes a lot depending on faction: some end up being very aggressive and can make a lot of money just by always being on the offensive, and so you can afford to go into negative income a lot more easily. Khorne is a good example. Kislev gets into a lot of fights, yes, but often can't dictate when those fights are, just because they are such a defensive faction. For that reason I don't like to be in the red often or for long. Even with Kislev, though, my general economy idea is that you use your turn-by-turn income to maintain your armies and you use the "spikier" income you get from battles to upgrade your economy. I just finished the 3rd round of portals and I have 3 full armies and 2 half-armies of trash that I move entirely defensively. Those will be upgraded over time, and their rag-tag nature reflects the fact that I inherited them from confederation. I also cant afford to disband them because the provinces need work being built up before they are more self-sufficient.

5) I don't know what this means. The AI does not get "catch-up" or rubberband mechanics.

6) you will lose the campaign if you do not go into them. They scale up in strength each time they reopen. I don't have a sense on how often you need to go into them but I am fairly sure you can safely miss 1.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is there a place for mods yet?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Hero/lord/unit access to magic intensity would make sense. Corpse carts or mortis engines giving the same effect as the Cathay Compasses immediately jumps to mind, but a hero trait or skill that gives the same would also work easily. Sure you cant cast Nehek as much, but now you can cast it better.

Maybe it comes with a blood magic style downside if that's too good: activate a skill that gives + intensity and +% miscast or something.

Ohhhhhh I hadn't thought of that, but you're right, that could definitely work. More bang for your buck, essentially. The thought of Wind of Death with even a little spell intensity is... :stare:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

-Losing an army depends. I tend to save and reload a lot. A low level lord and their army getting wiped isn't as hard to replace, especially if their sacrifice managed to stall the enemy. As a precaution though be careful about force marching or colonizing in poorly scouted areas because the AI loves to pounce on you in vulnerable positions. In force march you can't retreat and if you colonize it takes a few turns to get your army to full health. A pyrrhic victory capturing a territory only for another enemy army to retake it can be frustrating and bad too. Ultimately though you have to balance risk and reward but as you get better at battles you can swing the odds in your favor more.

-This is what I call "The doldrums" and can be the result of not expanding aggressively enough early on, losing territory you can't easily retake or getting locked in by friendly neighbors or overly powerful neutral factions. When you see people map painting its often because they knocked out threats early and capitalized on it.

-Each army has an Upkeep penalty for you so you need to be smart when you add new armies. I typically have about 2 for every 3 provinces. These go through a matriculation process. When they are low level and weak ill keep them with a lean army and use them to bolster garrisons. Typically even a new lord with a few T1 units is enough to fight off threats that the garrison can't handle on its own, and you can rush from settlement to settlement to keep them safe. As they level up a bit and you can afford more/better units you can use them more aggressively. Once you unlock immortality it's less devastating if you end up losing them.

-As others mentioned, first take Eastern oblast which gives you an ataman, then take Praag. From there it depends on threats. If Brotherhood of the Bear isn't doing well you may need to focus on their province to hold off the Bearsonlings. You can also go after Vampire Counts since empire factions hate them anyway and their capital has a gold mine. After you get Praag you want to work towards Erengrad either by confederation or winning the supporter race. 'Winning' the supporter race can actually be a step up in difficulty because now you have to deal with the mess of demons to the west and are heavily reliant on how Kostaltyn AI handled things up to that point

-There's no rubber band mechanics but what happens is the player builds their doomstack with a legendary lord. This is their strongest army and can absolutely roll a lot of enemies so the player gets tunnel vision. One army can only do so much so a strong faction that war declares on you on another front can cause cascading problems. Also, when corruption is high and your territory clogged with enemy heroes you can start suffering steep growth and public order penalties that can make it hard to stabilize areas. This also affects your replenishment as well so it can be hard to recover in those situations if you don't stay on top of it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Is there a place for mods yet?

Check this discord: https://discord.gg/Ux6jM3uFYf (Da Modding Den).

My advice: Go to the modding repository and search for DaftFlamingo's mod thread and grab the following:

-The Realms of Chaos Narrative Toggle mod. Adds a toggle in the campaign selection screen to disable the narrative campaign so the portals never open.

-WH3 Early mod pack. Contains several individual mods: a supply lines bug fix, a corrupted by Nurgle/Slaanesh/Khorne/Tzeentch trait fix and the Slaanesh Everlasting Gift technology bug fix.

There is more stuff there but those are the most important ones.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

jesus, CA really saddled a lot of unfun bullshit into fighting Nurgle. How did this and the 8 turn attrition plague make it past game-testing? They completely shut down any stack that gets affected

gonna finish this campaign and maybe wait until mod support so I can remove this BS

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Has like no one endured a skaven plague before? Don't hate my love for Nurgle, I agree eight turns plus is excessive. Hell anything above like three or four turns is unfun in most people's opinion including my own. I am playing as Nurgle a lot and what I am seeing on the giving end is that if something receives a plague it already has it will act accordingly and no plague is spread. Unless it decides that it will get it again and then it just adds the time to it and it can get quite high. So something is bugged I think. E: or they are stupid and left one of the most powerful campaign mechanics they've created in the game on for the AI to the full extent a player can abuse it.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Also, there seems to be no defense (other than the lessen chance of plague spread stuff I see scattered around) to receiving a plague from an army you fight. It seems to be a very high probability of spread when your units are touching each other. As for plague cultists, they are hard to spot and intercept but it is possible to assassinate/wound one. Hilariously if your plague cultist gets wounded when he comes back from the hospital they cure his plague too so he does nothing lol.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

an attrition plague could maybe work, in theory, but the way it is implemented right now fuckin sucks and is terribly unfun. The player has no option for dealing with it and it lasts for so long that I was in disbelief when I first saw the 8 turn timer and of course the same plague can get reapplied to the army so it can last indefinitely if they are unlucky

Either make it last way less, like 2-3 turns max and make it unable to be reapplied if the army is already sick or make it so the player can cure plague by resting in the capitol or something like that. Give the player something they can do to get their army back on track

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Several factions have rites/invocations that increase replenishment as one of their effects, they could just add 'clears all plagues when activated' as well.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I absolutely love using the attrition plague plus three turns plus something for flavor on anything acting threatening. It often stops them altogether. If you take away the plus 3 turn plague from the player then the whole infection economy would need to be reworked because your highest chance of spread is more time to spread. If you are plaguing twice as much then yeah sounds like it makes it unfun for Nurgle. Simple fix would be to limit AI plagues from the plus 3 turn unlock if they get it and make it so a reapplication of the same plague does not add to that timer beyond the base three turns (at least in aggressive mode, it is helpful not to have to reapply plagues to your own stacks every three turns.). That way, it can still absolutely become a permanent three turn thing unless you remove the source. Which you do by taking them out. If you are sieging their lands and they keep immediately popping back, well sounds like a challenge better do it quick, but absolutely once you deal with that source then it should end quickly. I also agree largely about any negative traits, etc. It’s really uninspired to make the removal “sit here”

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Twigand Berries posted:

Has like no one endured a skaven plague before? Don't hate my love for Nurgle, I agree eight turns plus is excessive. Hell anything above like three or four turns is unfun in most people's opinion including my own. I am playing as Nurgle a lot and what I am seeing on the giving end is that if something receives a plague it already has it will act accordingly and no plague is spread. Unless it decides that it will get it again and then it just adds the time to it and it can get quite high. So something is bugged I think. E: or they are stupid and left one of the most powerful campaign mechanics they've created in the game on for the AI to the full extent a player can abuse it.

Skaven plagues are also terrible un-interactive crap to fight against because there's no counter or solution or way to mitigate them besides "well, that stack is now dead/useless for the next x number of turns". 95% of the time you never run into skaven plagues being used against you in TWW2, though, since Pestilens gets wiped out 99% of the time and the other skaven factions don't usually bother doing it that much, as opposed to TWW3 where you're going to be going into the Nurgle Realm and fighting Nurgle armies as a matter of course.

They did leave it on for the AI to exploit to the full measure a player can abuse it, just like they left Tzeentch city switching on for the AI. The only thing that stops it from being smotheringly oppressive instead of merely terribly annoying is that the AI just kind of uses random plagues instead of anything focused.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Depends how early. Units basically cost as much to upkeep for four turns the same amount they do to recruit. The big losses are the experience levels on your heroes and lord and your high tier starting units.

quote:

Welcome to Kislev.

quote:

Full provinces matter. For me starting in Kislev I went the Oblast (including the ogres in passing), Praag, then Hellpit to take the skaven off the map before they could snowball and give me a second Ataman. And then wherever I was fighting. (I think I dived down to take Drakenhoff after to take Mannfred off the map which should say how little it matters.

quote:

It depends on your economy. Katarin's far the easier of the two (or three); Kostaltyn is not newbie friendly.

quote:

Anyone can recruit a full stack given enough time. It's not random but the computer cheats in what it can fund especially at high levels.

quote:

They scale with how far in the game you are. And if you're not sure just dive into the Slaanesh realm and take any temptation after the first.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
My Kill Order for Katarin is Oblast, Praag, If I can GET Hellpit, then Hellpit, if not the moment the portals open up I flip a coin and go either Daemon Prince or Skrag. Skrag is a much later problem, but he will snowball and turn the Empire into his hell zone before coming to gently caress you in the rear end, on the other hand the Daemon Prince isn't a real threat, but if you let him live long enough, he's going to devote himself to Nurgle and give every loving army and city Bowelstrep which is 5+ turns of plague attrition for EVERY BATTLE trying to wipe him out.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
hmm anyone got suggestions for effective unit choices when fighting ogre vs ogre? i seem to take the most casualties when fighting other ogre factions. obviously this is because ogres are da best but i'm hoping to make only MY ogres da best.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
That excellent Kislev post from before should be linked in the op imo if it hasn’t already

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Captain Beans posted:

hmm anyone got suggestions for effective unit choices when fighting ogre vs ogre? i seem to take the most casualties when fighting other ogre factions. obviously this is because ogres are da best but i'm hoping to make only MY ogres da best.

I don't remember if ogres have an armour-piercing ranged unit but if they do that's the answer. It's always the answer.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I find having my ogres stand in a patch of friendly gnoblars helps against other ogres but if they are also standing in gnoblars then yes shoot them. Gnoblar trappers exist entirely to stop and “shoot” which fucks over their AI ogre friends.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Ran into a big problem in the Realm of Slaanesh: The descent portals don't do anything. I just stand on top of them and nothing happens. I tried moving back and forth, advancing the turn, and leaving the realm and re-entering.

Edit: Closing and coming back to the game fixed it.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 14, 2022

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
Kislev can build two of the "50% plague spread chance reduction" buildings in a province and become immune to plagues. No idea if other factions get something similar.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Angry Lobster posted:

Check this discord: https://discord.gg/Ux6jM3uFYf (Da Modding Den).

My advice: Go to the modding repository and search for DaftFlamingo's mod thread and grab the following:

-The Realms of Chaos Narrative Toggle mod. Adds a toggle in the campaign selection screen to disable the narrative campaign so the portals never open.

-WH3 Early mod pack. Contains several individual mods: a supply lines bug fix, a corrupted by Nurgle/Slaanesh/Khorne/Tzeentch trait fix and the Slaanesh Everlasting Gift technology bug fix.

There is more stuff there but those are the most important ones.

On a whim I decided to try these two mods out, a mod that buffs the daemon prince's gear so that there are actual build options on him besides "flying mortis engine with summons", and an "additional win conditions" mod there, and honestly my enjoyment level is so much higher that it's like night and day. Being able to do wide sweeping expansion because I don't have to ensure I have heroes in place to whack a mole a zillion rifts and being able to rely on having my LL able to participate on the campaign map instead of alternating between realm dives and rehab time at home is immensely liberating.

As an interesting side effect, the main AI factions seem to be coalescing into really nasty deathballs because their LLs are on the map and fighting instead of doing the realms.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Gonkish posted:

I'm not disbelieving you. What makes things so different? I'm unclear on exactly what changed, but maybe I wasn't playing Vamps correctly. I usually had a Big Important Vamp leading the troops and then a backup Hero of some sort.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

neonchameleon posted:

My take on Hellpit as Kislev is that among other things it's a single settlement province. It's a free half-Ataman for a province that doesn't need one and deals with a potential enemy - and means that you can have Kislev, Praag, the Eastern Oblast, and Hellpit. And you don't have to go very far out of your way to deal with the inevitable gate. Just take it and be done.

I gave My hellpit to kraka drak.

Guaranteed dwarf allies and they'll send expeditions up north forever to try and get their homelands back. I've got a small cheap "response army" nearby of mostly kossars that moves from the brotherhood valley to the hellpit valley while the other armies I have secure the vamps/skrag/help kadrin push out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I'm not disbelieving you. What makes things so different? I'm unclear on exactly what changed, but maybe I wasn't playing Vamps correctly. I usually had a Big Important Vamp leading the troops and then a backup Hero of some sort.

For a lot of factions it was easy to achieve effectively infinite winds of magic by stacking tons of characters with "Knowledgable", a trait that boosted your faction's global winds of magic. Under the new system this is impossible because WoM reserves are hard capped at 100, so you have much more limited ammunition; some traits and abilities let you work around the limit to some extent, but not infinitely(barring a few glitched interactions that exist right now which are almost guaranteed to be unintentional).

In effect for Vampire Counts, I expect that the faction will be much more incentivized to make actual armies instead of throwing legions of chaff skeletons at everything and killing everything with infinite Winds of Death.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

with some exceptions, usually these people are either
- playing easy/easy
- turbonerding their doomstacks for each army they face (eg building an autoresolve-heavy army, or disbanding the starting units for x starting position because they're not as gold-effective as more spearmanii*)
- cheesing the gently caress out of the AI using every ai exploit known to man
- save-scumming everything from diplomacy to city battles to agent actions
- a combination of the above

don't listen to them, if you're having fun you're having fun.

also if you're having to do the stupid dance with enemy armies (I am doing this as Daniel, it's thankfully not as bad as my turkish campaign way back in med2 where both mongol invasions happened and still wouldn't leave armenia until I intentionally threw multiple armies away against their doomstacks) look for a nearby forest and use ambush stance, they'll move out of position and you can attack them.

*see the OP post #5 for a post by nanomashoes regarding people's love for generic spearwall units

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
As a dude who played multiple VH Vamp Counts campaigns and didn't look to Winds of Deaths for every problem you just use skelly boys for defense and have 1-2+ real armies. Not like VCounts have a Norscan economy problem. With the way settlements work skelly stacks will be dramatically better for defense and still useful for offense as real armies benefit from chaff stacks, though you'll have the reinforcement timer to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm wondering if the Counts will get some form of reinforcement timer reduction or something. Especially early game skelly stacks are really all you can afford, and at least in WH2 you relied heavily on numbers to get the job done in the early game. Same problem applies to the Tomb Kings, now that I think about it. How are they going to compensate the factions that really, really want/need to bring numbers to compensate for their poo poo-tier infantry?

I mean, I'm sure they've got something cooked up. I'm just wondering what it could be. Spell intensity is probably one of those things (for the Counts, at least, TK are still going to suffer), but the reinforcement changes are another thing entirely.