Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

zhar posted:

I'm finally changing password manager from 1password to keepass (free!) and looking up good password practices it seems my master password isn't as secure as it should be. Or maybe it is as password databases have extra security to prevent brute force attacks, I don't know. What is the minimum strength the master password should be? I might just reuse my old one or make a new one but I don't want to overdo it as I'll be typing it a lot. Obviously I don't want to underdo it either. Is 4 random words enough?

Automatic password security checkers basically just tick boxes, usually upper case, lower case, number, symbol, 8/12/16 characters. The more boxes your password checks, the better the score. This is not the same at actual security, which is about being resistant to guessing, which universally can be achieved through length alone (I'd actually argue that 66...66 with like 666 total sixes would be pretty drat secure, even if it's literally all the same number).

So yeah, four random words is probably good, provides they aren't "I, am, a, cat". But also, dictionary attacks are a thing, so misspellings or using different languages isn't a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can reject a word or regenerate a whole phrase just fine. You want it random in that it’s not a meaningful sequence where the words are related, like “four-score-and-twenty” or whatever. You’re not going to break the magic security spell by swapping “pudendum” out for “daisy” or something.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

zhar posted:

I will use the dice for 4 words but it feels uncomfortable having a master password significantly weaker than the passwords contained within, so I might add a fifth nonrandom word like my favorite word to make sure an attacker would be tripped up.

One time when I generated a random passphrase one of the words pertained to the female genitalia and I ended up thinking of a pussy whenever I logged into the service this had better not happen again this time as I can't be dealing with that every time I open my password manager and it's not like I can reject the word as then it wouldn't really be random, would it?

Just lol if you don't use a verse from an 80s hair metal rock opera as your master pass phrase.

Don't ya think that you need somebody?
Don't ya think that you need someone?
Everybody needs somebody
You're not the only one
You're not the only one
Verify me :ovr:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Maybe try a generator without obscenity in it?

Am gonna say thats one thing I miss about the old stupid systems where the sysop could see your password: such comedy reading what people used

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

RFC2324 posted:

The only properly secured password is to open to a random page of War and Peace, and use the entire page as your password

Use your gpg key as a password

Maybe the old school video game code wheels can make a comeback? We all know technology is cyclical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Tz0YpDa6o

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just write down 16 random ASCII characters and keep it in your wallet until you remember it (or gently caress it, forever - nobody who finds it is going to know what is for unless you get nabbed by a 3 letter agency).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zhar posted:

I'm finally changing password manager from 1password to keepass (free!) and looking up good password practices it seems my master password isn't as secure as it should be. Or maybe it is as password databases have extra security to prevent brute force attacks, I don't know.

The database has far more protection against brute force attacks than normal websites and services. Keepass by default does 60000 loops of AES for key transformation. (ie your master pass isn't the "real" key to decrypt the database, whatever comes out the other side of that loop is.) That means 1 brute-force guess takes somewhere around 100,000x longer than against a website database leak that used SHA-256 password hashing.

But you can go into the database settings on Keepass & set it to be much more difficult. There's a handy "1 second delay" button to make it take a full second of processing time, on whatever machine you are using. And you can also switch from AES to Argon2, which is resistant to GPUs because it needs memory. GPUs are only hyper-fast on stuff that fits inside their (tiny) cache. I'd recommend doing this!

So that's how this:

zhar posted:

it feels uncomfortable having a master password significantly weaker than the passwords contained within
can actually make perfect sense. Your website passwords need to be strong and unique because you can't trust them to use good security (or any security at all). Your keepass master password can be kinda meh by comparison because you know it is protected from guessing. If you were ok with a 30 second wait every time you want to open the vault, you could go with a 6-digit pin code and still take weeks to brute-force!

(Don't actually do that though. Hardware improves all the time, so today's 30 seconds has a shelf-life. And also if you use keepass on a cell phone that 30 second delay becomes 2 minutes.)

zhar
May 3, 2019

Klyith posted:

explanation

Thanks this is what I wanted to hear, I feel a lot more comfortable using the 'weak' 4 word password I ended up generating with nice benign words now.

A bit too benign for me actually, I'm copying over the 1password wordlist to keepassxc as it's longer and generally has more interesting words than the diceware list which I think keepassxc uses.

KillHour posted:

Just write down 16 random ASCII characters and keep it in your wallet until you remember it (or gently caress it, forever - nobody who finds it is going to know what is for unless you get nabbed by a 3 letter agency).

I like words because I can turn them into a nice allegory I can contemplate whenever I enter my password

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve always found the best thing is to use something easy to remember but he’s so not you or your interest that no one in a millionaires could think of it.

That said I prefer just using 1Password. I got introduced to it a job I used to work at and I just started using it for my home stuff and I just love it.
I just wish it was a little easier to create new passwords and iOS sometimes. Plus since it’s used also for my own side work it’s a tax deduction.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I had to set a password for a client's SSO and I don't want my personal PW manager on that machine so I generated a "more pronounceable" 32 character password but with added special characters, and wrote it on a piece of tape on the monitor. They also use 2FA and my IP is whitelisted, so I think I'm fine.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Klyith posted:

The database has far more protection against brute force attacks than normal websites and services. Keepass by default does 60000 loops of AES for key transformation. (ie your master pass isn't the "real" key to decrypt the database, whatever comes out the other side of that loop is.) That means 1 brute-force guess takes somewhere around 100,000x longer than against a website database leak that used SHA-256 password hashing.

But you can go into the database settings on Keepass & set it to be much more difficult. There's a handy "1 second delay" button to make it take a full second of processing time, on whatever machine you are using. And you can also switch from AES to Argon2, which is resistant to GPUs because it needs memory. GPUs are only hyper-fast on stuff that fits inside their (tiny) cache. I'd recommend doing this!

So that's how this:

can actually make perfect sense. Your website passwords need to be strong and unique because you can't trust them to use good security (or any security at all). Your keepass master password can be kinda meh by comparison because you know it is protected from guessing. If you were ok with a 30 second wait every time you want to open the vault, you could go with a 6-digit pin code and still take weeks to brute-force!

(Don't actually do that though. Hardware improves all the time, so today's 30 seconds has a shelf-life. And also if you use keepass on a cell phone that 30 second delay becomes 2 minutes.)

This is all true, but keep in mind that upping the difficulty of the key derivation like this is going to run into diminishing returns pretty quickly. To use your example, let's say you increase the number of rounds so that every attempt takes thirty seconds instead of one. Great, brute-force attacks are now thirty times harder! ...but you're going to have to twiddle your thumbs for 30 seconds every single time you unlock it yourself. (If that's something you do once a week, that wait might be no big deal. If it's something you do twice an hour, you're going to want to punch your screen before long.) A much more convenient way to add difficulty is to simply use a longer password. Even if you limit yourself to letters and numbers, each extra random character you add to the password gives you something on the order of six more bits of entropy, which translates to an increase in brute-force difficulty of 64x -- more than twice as good as the big annoying 30-second wait.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i like to make them stupid trolls, either of the employer i'm resenting working at or the imaginary intelligence officer torturing you for it...

"please water board me again"

WHATS YOUR PASSWORD?

PLEASE WATER BOARD ME AGAIN

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have a few good randomly generated passwords that I can remember by the typing patterns, like for instance the general pattern is diagonally up and left, then down, then straight across. Jumps and upper/lowercase and symbols are of course scattered.

Or as an alternative, use a pattern that you come up with, similar to //12donkey!!BREATH69\\. Sure, maybe it's easier to guess if someone knows the pattern you used, but there are countless patterns. You know the pattern, making it easier to remember.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 13, 2022

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

KozmoNaut posted:

I have a few good randomly generated passwords that I can remember by the typing patterns, like for instance the general pattern is diagonally up and left, then down, then straight across. Jumps and upper/lowercase and symbols are of course scattered.

Or as an alternative, use a pattern that you come up with, similar to //12donkey!!BREATH69\\. Sure, maybe it's easier to guess if someone knows the pattern you used, but there are countless patterns. You know the pattern, making it easier to remember.

Except for the fact that the pattern makes the problem size smaller

4-5 words randomly generated is way more memorable with a way bigger problem size IMO

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Buff Hardback posted:

Except for the fact that the pattern makes the problem size smaller

Only if the attacker knows the pattern.

An attacker would have to know that a pattern was used and the format of the pattern. If not, they have to guess randomly and your password is like 24+ characters.

Obviously use a secret pattern, and not necessarily one that's sort of symmetrical. Think of it as adding random characters between the words in a passphrase.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 13, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

zhar posted:

I'm finally changing password manager from 1password to keepass (free!) and looking up good password practices it seems my master password isn't as secure as it should be. Or maybe it is as password databases have extra security to prevent brute force attacks, I don't know. What is the minimum strength the master password should be? I might just reuse my old one or make a new one but I don't want to overdo it as I'll be typing it a lot. Obviously I don't want to underdo it either. Is 4 random words enough?

Keepass supports smart card or yubikeys as a auth option, make the text password an unintelligible string to be printed and put in a fireproof safe while using the physical token for daily use

zhar
May 3, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

This is all true, but keep in mind that upping the difficulty of the key derivation like this is going to run into diminishing returns pretty quickly. To use your example, let's say you increase the number of rounds so that every attempt takes thirty seconds instead of one. Great, brute-force attacks are now thirty times harder! ...but you're going to have to twiddle your thumbs for 30 seconds every single time you unlock it yourself. (If that's something you do once a week, that wait might be no big deal. If it's something you do twice an hour, you're going to want to punch your screen before long.) A much more convenient way to add difficulty is to simply use a longer password. Even if you limit yourself to letters and numbers, each extra random character you add to the password gives you something on the order of six more bits of entropy, which translates to an increase in brute-force difficulty of 64x -- more than twice as good as the big annoying 30-second wait.

I don't doubt this and in fact i did some digging and found this calculator. There's a massive difference between length and iterations but I don't think you need a full thirty seconds to get enough benefit.

I don't know what the default value of 100k iterations translates to in seconds to wait on a phone (if it's the 1password default not long enough I noticed the feature existed) but using a random 4 words from the smallest wordlist would supposedly cost $2,553,798 to break on average. I take this figure with a grain of salt (they do go through the maths and link to the original research) and I have no idea how to quantify how much the data from non-financial services gleaned from hacking all my accounts would be worth but I think I can confidently say I would be worth significantly less than this figure overall. Compare this with the $25.54 using only one iteration (I like to think I'm worth more than that at least). You'd need to use a length of 6 words with one iteration to beat the former figure (albeit significantly at $1,544,183,490.71) so a longer password is of course better (exponentially better) than more iterations but the combined total just needs to be sufficiently expensive. If I can get away with a little less finger fatigue with a 4 worder by having to wait a second I'll take it.

SlowBloke posted:

Keepass supports smart card or yubikeys as a auth option, make the text password an unintelligible string to be printed and put in a fireproof safe while using the physical token for daily use

I'd never considered this. I don't know how much to trust these devices. If it got stolen along with a device containing the db wouldn't I be hosed? Would be convenient though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

zhar posted:

I'd never considered this. I don't know how much to trust these devices. If it got stolen along with a device containing the db wouldn't I be hosed? Would be convenient though.

You can program the same seed on multiple yubikeys so if you lose one you won't get locked out. The database is not stored on the key, only the seed to generate the decryption code.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SlowBloke posted:

You can program the same seed on multiple yubikeys so if you lose one you won't get locked out. The database is not stored on the key, only the seed to generate the decryption code.

I think they're asking if someone stole both the yubikey and the device with the database, if they would have access to all the passwords as well as all the accounts they go to. Which, yes, but that's not really a common threat model. And you could always hide the yubikey when you're not using it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And they’d still have to defeat any filesystem encryption as well.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This is getting into Mossad/Not Mossad territory.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Only if the attacker knows the pattern.

An attacker would have to know that a pattern was used and the format of the pattern. If not, they have to guess randomly and your password is like 24+ characters.

Obviously use a secret pattern, and not necessarily one that's sort of symmetrical. Think of it as adding random characters between the words in a passphrase.

Good thing patterns never get exposed in password leaks all the time

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Powered Descent posted:

This is all true, but keep in mind that upping the difficulty of the key derivation like this is going to run into diminishing returns pretty quickly. To use your example, let's say you increase the number of rounds so that every attempt takes thirty seconds instead of one. Great, brute-force attacks are now thirty times harder! ...but you're going to have to twiddle your thumbs for 30 seconds every single time you unlock it yourself. (If that's something you do once a week, that wait might be no big deal. If it's something you do twice an hour, you're going to want to punch your screen before long.) A much more convenient way to add difficulty is to simply use a longer password.

Oh absolutely, which is why I parenthetically said not to do that particular thing. +1 bit of entropy on the password is the same as doubling your KDF time.

But there is a useful lesson to it, because long or extremely complex passwords are also a bit of a PITA. My master password is stupidly excruciating to type into the phone keyboard, it takes me like 20 seconds. I chose and memorized the password before I was syncing to a phone and didn't really thinking about it. It's a very strong password, keepass says 88 bits of entropy, go me! But after learning more about how it all works I would choose something that's faster to enter on the phone, and crank up the KDF difficulty.

A happy median is a fine compromise. I haven't done anything about it because I don't need passwords on the phone very often, and not at all the last two years. :/

KozmoNaut posted:

Patterns based on any sort of keyboard progression like edcft6YHNJI(OL> or HUIjiojkl;nm,. are incredibly bad. First, it means you haven't "memorized" anything. If you go to france or encounter a dvorak keyboard you're hosed. Heck, I knew a guy who changed to a new model of ergo keyboard and had trouble with some passwords he only "knew" via muscle memory. Secondly. it's not hard to program a computer to generate keyboard-walk patterns.

If it's a "pattern" based on the typography or arrangement of words, numbers, and symbols in a way you like that's ok. Maybe avoid stuff that 14 year olds do for their gamer handles like //|demon|slayer|\\ though.

There's also stuff like the Schneier scheme where the idea is a personal idiosyncratic abbreviation of a memorable phrase. IMO the downside of that stuff is being harder to memorize & slower to type than a longer password of plain words. Especially on a phone screen where some symbols are 2 taps away.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I just use 5 EFF dice ware words and call it a day, no symbols, spaces as separator

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Lol i was a page or two behind

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mantle posted:

Good thing patterns never get exposed in password leaks all the time

If your unique pattern used for your KeePass password got leaked, that means your password got leaked, so you're hosed either way.

Don't reuse patterns, duh.

Klyith posted:

Patterns based on any sort of keyboard progression like edcft6YHNJI(OL> or HUIjiojkl;nm,. are incredibly bad. First, it means you haven't "memorized" anything. If you go to france or encounter a dvorak keyboard you're hosed. Heck, I knew a guy who changed to a new model of ergo keyboard and had trouble with some passwords he only "knew" via muscle memory. Secondly. it's not hard to program a computer to generate keyboard-walk patterns.

More like Mj#zVy%7 or something similar. That's up+left, down, right, up, right, but obviously skipping keys, I'm not suggesting a drat qwertyasdfgh password. Throw in some alternating left/right to make it easier to type.

I don't have to worry about French or Dvorak keyboards etc., but if that's a concern for you, take your precautions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My CISO listed me as her delegate while she's on vacation this week so I'm sorry in advance for the imminent 0-day drops, as is tradition when I get put in charge :|

Last time she did we got log4j lol

I've learned nothing about agreeing to be a delegate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

some kinda jackal posted:

My CISO listed me as her delegate while she's on vacation this week so I'm sorry in advance for the imminent 0-day drops, as is tradition when I get put in charge :|

Last time she did we got log4j lol

What does she know that we don't know...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

You've learned to let us all know so we can take some emergency leave this week, so that's at least something.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RFC2324 posted:

Am gonna say thats one thing I miss about the old stupid systems where the sysop could see your password: such comedy reading what people used
The majority of phone systems I've ever touched are still like this as far as voicemail PIN codes go. I used to bring this up when I would do training sessions, then mention that it's not a good idea to use the same PIN you'd use for an ATM or whatever, and in a large enough group inevitably at least one person will get an "oh poo poo" look on their face.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

y'all are way overthinking poo poo

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Achmed Jones posted:

y'all are way overthinking poo poo

Most people do. Which is fine, given that there's basically no functional cost imposed--remembering a 5 word phrase instead of a 4 word phrase is not gonna tax almost anyone.

That said, AFAIK basically no criminal organization bothers to seriously try cracking hashed passwords unless you're Someone Special whose access might be specifically interesting. If you're running some sort of internet-exposed service on well known ports, then sure, maybe it gets scanned and someone tries to brute force it, but then the proper protection against that isn't having an extremely complex password, it's using rate limiting / banning on top of a not-trivial password, or preferably cert-based auth.

Otherwise the real threat vector is password re-use allowing your Super Complex password to get pulled from some dumb company's un-encrypted / unsalted password db and sprayed back against all your other accounts. So as long as you don't use your master password anywhere else, then it's probably fine.

Now if you are Someone Special who might get particular interest from bad people, then go ahead and use a bit more complex password just in case. But for everyone else there's no functional difference between a password that takes an hour to break on a high-end parallel-GPU-powered cracking machine and one that takes a million hours because no one's gonna bother to spend more than like, 1 minute on it, max.

Just not worth the cost when there are plenty of people using default / trivial / repeat passwords out there.

Same if someone steals your laptop/phone: if they can't pop it in a few minutes, your typical criminal is just gonna wipe the whole thing and sell it, or ditch it in the river. Just not worth the time otherwise.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 14, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Tldr: Mossad / Not Mossad threat analysis

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DrDork posted:

That said, AFAIK basically no criminal organization bothers to seriously try cracking hashed passwords unless you're Someone Special whose access might be specifically interesting.

Uh, did you mean to say a password manager database? Because regular hashed passwords get cracked all the time and people definitely spend time on it.

But yeah, I can't imagine a criminal cracker who comes across a keepass database spending much time on it. Because at this point anyone who uses a password manager are at least minimally security conscious (or friends & family of a nerd who helped them set it up) and unlikely to use a easily-cracked password. Someone might run a dictionary of common passwords past it or something. Not bang on it for a week with a GPU farm.

Volmarias posted:

Tldr: Mossad / Not Mossad threat analysis

I love that Mickens essay as much as anyone, but it's worth considering that he drastically underestimated the capabilities of not-Mossad, even at the time it was written. Also that several nation-states, including the actual Mossad, are now operating private enterprise pipelines that are criminal or insanely corrupt.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Whether you call it MOSSAD or a private enterprise APT, it's still the same thing to me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Whether you call it MOSSAD or a private enterprise APT, it's still the same thing to me.
yeah mossad is a decent way to get people to differentiate between assholes and competent/state actors. Then actual mossad is even worse (stuxnet etc)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

# apt install backdoor

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

# apt install backdoor
:mods:

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

excuse you old man its # docker run backdoor:latest now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

# apt install backdoor

could not open lock file /srv/forums.somethingawful - (13: permission denied)

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 15, 2022