Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The last period is wasted energy, there's no ambiguity about where the message ends, so it seems like you're making some kind of emphatic point, and yeah I guess it can come across kinda passive-aggressive. Sure, it's kinda dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'll basically finish a text with punctuation if its something more serious or if I'm texting with my folks, since they do punctuation "properly". Actually it's a lot like I post here, something more serious will have full punctuation, but chat and dumb jokes typically leave it off.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

credburn posted:

That's not polite?

Yes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pookah posted:

He also believed in ghosts because he had a dream where a weird looking ghost made faces at him in bed.

Crowley told him to turn on his scrying glass lmao.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

credburn posted:

I had an autistic diagnosis a few years ago and another neurodivergent friend told me that she could tell right away, before my diagnosis, just based on the way I text. She says I have no understanding of "polite texting" as she called it. "For instance," she says. "You always end your texts with a period*."

So what? I says to her. That's not polite?

She says there's a subtext to it, that I clearly don't read, but others do. Which is why nobody else ends their texts or instant messages with a period.

And I said, What? What the gently caress are you talking about? Of course everyone ends their texts with periods. Otherwise there would be chaos and anarchy.

But then I checked and motherfuck my world is blown away. I am the only one out of like a dozen people I message that actually ends messages with a period. If there are multiple sentences in a text, they use punctuation, all but the last period. People think I'm autistic because I'm consistent with punctuation? How did I not even notice people do this? This is polite texting?!

*the big reveal here is that people will use punctuation if it's a question, or if they want to add exclamation points, but if it's a period, everyone just leaves the sentence to hang!!!

It's much more an age thing than ND. Some cool kid stopped bothering with the last dot while texting somewhere in the '00 and it spread. Boomers still dot all the time, but noone younger except as an insult or when writing job emails

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

credburn posted:

I had an autistic diagnosis a few years ago and another neurodivergent friend told me that she could tell right away, before my diagnosis, just based on the way I text. She says I have no understanding of "polite texting" as she called it. "For instance," she says. "You always end your texts with a period*."

She says there's a subtext to it, that I clearly don't read, but others do. Which is why nobody else ends their texts or instant messages with a period.

And I said, What? What the gently caress are you talking about? Of course everyone ends their texts with periods. Otherwise there would be chaos and anarchy.

But then I checked and motherfuck my world is blown away. I am the only one out of like a dozen people I message that actually ends messages with a period. If there are multiple sentences in a text, they use punctuation, all but the last period. People think I'm autistic because I'm consistent with punctuation? How did I not even notice people do this? This is polite texting?!

*the big reveal here is that people will use punctuation if it's a question, or if they want to add exclamation points, but if it's a period, everyone just leaves the sentence to hang!!!

I can't believe I just found out your friend reads way too much into whether someone uses a period on the last sentence or not.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

EasilyConfused posted:

I can't believe I just found out your friend reads way too much into whether someone uses a period on the last sentence or not.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

EasilyConfused posted:

Or maybe you don't read enough into things

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Or maybe you don't read enough into things.

FTFY

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I end with a !

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

E.g. CAN YOU SEND ME 100€ I A PIZA!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

blow me!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah humans use all sorts of cues for communication, especially in text where there are few other cues. This is like the typical example of older vs younger internet person - it comes across as angry/pointed/annoyed to end a text with a dot if you're younger. It's not "reading too much into a dot" it's normal human language stuff.

You might want to read Because Internet, it's full of info about how different generations convey meaning in text.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I think it's a context thing. I don't think I'd normally think too much about the period at the end of a sentence.

But I mean, say I texted someone to ask how they were doing, I think I might interpret "fine" differently from "fine."

but that would depend on the rest of the conversation, how well I knew the person, etc. And I'd probably ask if I thought they were just being an rear end in a top hat about it.

E: I see that I ended my post here with a '.', I think I do that more often if I'm posting from my computer. For some reason it feel like a lot more effort to do it on the phone so I rarely bother.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I put a period on the end of my texts because I want to come of as angry.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, I think it's a context thing. I don't think I'd normally think too much about the period at the end of a sentence.

But I mean, say I texted someone to ask how they were doing, I think I might interpret "fine" differently from "fine."

but that would depend on the rest of the conversation, how well I knew the person, etc. And I'd probably ask if I thought they were just being an rear end in a top hat about it.

E: I see that I ended my post here with a '.', I think I do that more often if I'm posting from my computer. For some reason it feel like a lot more effort to do it on the phone so I rarely bother.

You just double tap space.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think you come off enough already

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

You just double tap space.

Too much work

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

The book 'because internet' by Gretchen McMculloch deals with a lot of these interesting onljne linguistics.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I was the "it's correct language use!" holdout regarding punctuation on instant messaging for a few years back in the MSN messenger days, but had to give it up because my friends insisted it wasn't how it was done, there are different rules online. Once someone said it was different rules instead of breaking the rules I was more okay with it, but it still bothers me a little.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I follow Old School netiquette and people think I'm rude. Then again it's the same people who keep addressing me as Ms. Mengedoht in e-mails so what do I care.

e: I tell a lie, some of them address me as Mrs. Mengedoht.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's Mx. or nothing :colbert:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yeah periods in texts mean youre pissed off or boomerbrained

quote:

Martin: "Do you still want to meet tonight?"

Frank: »No. Sorry. «

Martin: "A little pissed off or what?"

Frank: "Nope."

Martin: »Why did the punctuation marks (cry of laugh smiley)«

This is an exchange between two teenagers on WhatsApp. And it's a reaction you get regularly - especially from younger people - if you write a full stop at the end of a message on sms, Messenger or WhatsApp. The dot is on its way out of our text messages. It has been outcompeted by other characters and emojis and is disappearing completely as a closing character.

Recently, Birgitte Darger, chairwoman of the Danish Teachers' Association's high school and high school section, was told by her 21-year-old son that he took it very seriously and almost as if she was scolding when she put an end to a message to him.

https://translate.google.com/websit...-punktum.&sl=da

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's Mx. or nothing :colbert:

Nothing is my preference. Why would anyone ever need to mention my name in an e-mail?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Nothing is my preference. Why would anyone ever need to mention my name in an e-mail?

I just pretend I'm the lil fairy from Zelda "Hey! Listen!"

Forreal though, I generally agree, and the more competent people I work with tend to send v direct mail, but if I'm emailing India or Japan or similar a lil more niceties are expected

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i write on a Danish genealogy forum & we all do a whole "Hi [name] blah blah blah Best, [name]" because everyone is 80 years old lol

(the "hi" is the informal part)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 10:10 on Mar 14, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I just pretend I'm the lil fairy from Zelda

His name is Link.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

For lack of a better idiom, this is what’s known as “the blind leading the blind”.

Most people, neurotypical or otherwise, aren’t going to notice or care if you used a period.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
people keep saying they do notice and care though???

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Carthag Tuek posted:

i write on a Danish genealogy forum & we all do a whole "Hi [name] blah blah blah Best, [name]" because everyone is 80 years old lol

(the "hi" is the informal part)

I used to post on the old Snopes.com forums (because I'm a pedantic shitlord who embodies that xkcd "someone is wrong on the internet" comic) and most of the posters there used to sign all their posts. WE CAN SEE YOUR USERNAME ALREADY

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I used to post on the old Snopes.com forums (because I'm a pedantic shitlord who embodies that xkcd "someone is wrong on the internet" comic) and most of the posters there used to sign all their posts. WE CAN SEE YOUR USERNAME ALREADY

In formal letter writing and also in emails you can also see who sent it before you reach the end, and they still have/had signing their name at the end. Communication mores are weird :shrug:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I usually don't sign my name in emails unless I'm applying for a job or something.

Otherwise it's entirely superfluous.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I think I have at least 5 modes of writing + a couple modes of speaking, all depending on context/recipient

Probably most people have at least a few & normally they don't even think about it

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

if you want to come off as angry just end every sentence with an ellipsis. makes you look like you're fuming with barely-suppressed rage

just try it...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There's cupcakes on the counter...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I associate the ellipses more with olds not knowing how to write... because a lot of them haven't had to write anything since they left school decades ago... then the internet showed up and suddenly grandma and grandpa are on Facebook...and have to write something longer than a check or a birthday card for the first time since 1964...and they're probably trying to imitate the pauses of natural speech but...it comes off more like they're fading in and out of consciousness...anyway... you're great uncle Tom just died LOL grandma...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It also imitates how they pause momentarily to let you say your piece into the void before continuing on with their train of thought as if you never spoke

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

it's got nothing to do with knowing how to write or not but again different conversational styles. For some reason to them it sounds perfectly normal and conversational, they know what they're trying to communicate. It just looks weird to us but that doesn't mean they're wrong. It's also covered in Because Internet.

The misunderstandings can be funny and I mean I'm with you, I think it makes them sound like someone gasping out their dying words, but to them it looks fine and no one's objectively right about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Full stops and double spacing just means you got taught to use a mechanical typewriter at school.