Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Boba Pearl posted:

OK but they're not though, they just aren't as visually interesting. The spells you start with / that are base have amazing scaling, and do a poo poo ton of damage with the proper stats. I still use the first spell I got as classing a mage (the first spell you get in the game as well,) and it's one of the best work horses of the game. The spells that scroll gives are NOT that great. It's also 2 spells out of 70. We're literally just making poo poo up now.

Yeah exactly what I'm saying.
Just because you can technically win the game without ever upgrading anything doesn't mean that those upgrades are worthless or don't matter. I dunno about you but when I've been playing a mage for 15 hours, I want to have gotten some bigger single-target spells by that point than "glintstone pebble." Yeah sure maybe Great Glintstone Shard isn't ~*mechanically optimal*~ but I'm a goddamned mage, I want my spells to get bigger over time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If you can't find a single spell in 15 hours, at some point you have to accept that's a you problem.

e: There's like multiple NPCs that tell you about all these sorcerer towns and villages and manors and libraries, you telling me you went to those places and couldn't find a single spell?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Magic is another one of those things in souls games you don't need to maximize potential but then you need to get really good at the game.

All the upgrades and scaling are basically a way to brute force things rather then get gud and if you're stuck doing that for most of the game you're probably not going to want to spend a few dozens deaths on a boss to perfect dodge rolls and timings for all the cool as hell but less effective spells. You just want to drop nukes and max dps.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ciaphas posted:

tbh that's a bit different from "every single one of your spells is stinky doodoo 'cause you missed a macguffin" or whatever it was earlier

forget the smithing stone thing even

The basic rear end Glintstone Pebble is one of the best spells in the game at the moment, only superseded by endgame stuff or a specific staff + buffed spell combos like the meteorite staff + gravity spells. It's pretty wild lol

Anyway yeah, you can find your first sorcery teacher a few minutes into the game, a stone throw's away from one of the big areas where the game directs you to (Gatefront grace)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Boba Pearl posted:

If you can't find a single spell in 15 hours, at some point you have to accept that's a you problem.

e: There's like multiple NPCs that tell you about all these sorcerer towns and villages and manors and libraries, you telling me you went to those places and couldn't find a single spell?
That was a stronger version of Glintstone Pebble? No. The only upgrades to that are from missable scrolls.

I'm not slagging the entire game over this; I did fine with Pebble. But I don't see why it's so wild to suggest that the second tier of the most basic-rear end attack spell a mage can have should be available in more than literally one place on a giant-rear end map.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Souls games hate you and want to make you suffer, that's why.

Actually no, sorry, lemme correct myself.
According to an interview Miyazaki is a self-proclaimed masochist that loves to suffer and he wants you to suffer with him.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That's the bad part about there being no repeated exploration rewards throughout the map, yeah. You either find the one place where something is or you don't find it at all :v: Ask me about still missing the tenth ritual pot and no one online having the slightest idea of where the hell it is :argh:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Souls games hate you

yeah that's a part of why they are good

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jack Trades posted:

Souls games hate you and want to make you suffer, that's why.

Actually no, sorry, lemme correct myself.
According to an interview Miyazaki is a self-proclaimed masochist that loves to suffer and he wants you to suffer with him.

this is a good thing, I enjoy suffering with Miyazaki

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
They fixed Dead Rising and it ruined it. I think the lesson is sometimes it's fun to have a game punch you in the mouth, as long as there's something like the mini chainsaw in there you can use to flip the bullshit on its head when you need to.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Elden Ring fixed a ton of issues with past games, streamlined a lot of the bullshit grind, and at launch is easily one of the best technically finished bug free open world games of the last 5-10 years. Most AAA open world games launch buggy as gently caress and eventually get fixed months later.

That said, there's a core design thing with the games where you're really meant to engage with the 4th wall, reading notes to direct you to things and interacting with other players to learn more about the game. I'd hesitate to say it's a single player game because that player-player interaction is a huge part of the experience.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I'm someone who hasn't really played a single dark souls type game and some of the opinions seem pretty wild, ngl.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'm someone who hasn't really played a single dark souls type game and some of the opinions seem pretty wild, ngl.
:same:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

That said, there's a core design thing with the games where you're really meant to engage with the 4th wall, reading

notes to direct you to things and interacting with other players to learn more about the game. I'd hesitate to say it's a single player game because that player-player interaction is a huge part of the experience.

Yeah, I wouldn't have finished Dark Souls 1 without support from the SA thread, plus some of the in-game messages were really helpful. It was p cool, everybody was really supportive and understanding of me running into brick walls and dying a lot. It's funny seeing that dynamic slam into the cesspit that is Steam's forums though. Goddamn, people are crazy there.

Some folks like a totally single-player game though, and that's OK!

kazil posted:

Elden Ring has notes you can buy from the merchants. These notes give hints about stuff. Like one is about the Flask of Wondrous Physick and where you can find it.

Would it be so bad if they had those for other things?

This is a good point tho

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
people have always made way too big of a deal of the difficulty and obtuseness of the fromsoft games honestly. they're hard and obtuse but you can play them blind. you'll miss some stuff but it won't really matter.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I'd say easily missing weapon and magic upgrade does, in fact, really matter but sure.

Not everyone wants to/think of looking stuff up online or getting help otherwise, I know several people who would hate getting "spoiled" on that kinda thing.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Please shut up and take the complaining about random bullshit you couldn't find in elden ring to the elden ring thread where I and everyone else will make fun of you but like, in the thread designed for it. so that we can hear about other games in this thread.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

oh you like elden ring, that's cute. why don't you try beat the nurburg ring in grand turismo 8 :smugdog:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'd say easily missing weapon and magic upgrade does, in fact, really matter but sure.

Not everyone wants to/think of looking stuff up online or getting help otherwise, I know several people who would hate getting "spoiled" on that kinda thing.

i play these games 100% blind and resources were fine as long as i didn't spread myself too thin.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Croccers posted:

New Dawn is what you want, it's way more fun than 5 was.
The map is smaller and denser so less time doing nothing when going between stuff. Resetting outposts is super quick and easy. The expedition set-piece missions are cool. You get some basic level Far Cry Instinct powers at some point.
The leveling stuff really isn't that much of a problem, just play some story missions to unlock the next tier and go back to stomping. The story is... there? It's Far Cry so whatever, it's not the worst story of the series at least.
Personally I like that they dropped the weapon modding for it. In 4/5/6 you just jam on the mod you want and that's it, you never switch off that weapon again.

I got around to New Dawn, it's pretty good. I was pretty annoyed at trying to use tier 1 guns vs elite enemies but I got happier after I stopped trying that. The special rounds system is also kinda dumb but overall it's pretty good fun.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I also play Souls games blind at least the first time through (sometimes even afterwards) and I've never had an issue with not being able to finish because I've lacked in damage. Yes, you will miss out on a ton of stuff without reading the wiki all the time but that's basically the only reason why I've re-played DS2 like 6 times to completion: there were enough things to find and surprise me even then. This is the kind of game they are. You will miss things, even things you might think are important. Whether it's a valid criticism or not, from their track record, I don't think they see this as a problem or intend to change it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I've dabbled in all 3 Souls games a tiny bit on PC and couldn't really click with any of them for a few reasons.

The biggest reason being dying and starting over at a bonfire miles away and the second reason being there's no narrative reason to actually give a poo poo, when your game's story is relegated to item descriptions then... yeah, that's not a great way to get the player invested in your world especially when it's delivered in such a piecemeal fashion.

I hated DS1, way too god damned much CQC, I was fighting the camera and getting ganked by mooks hiding behind walls everywhere.

DS2 I actually played the least amount of so I can't really say much.

DS3 I probably tolerated the most just cause the bonfire placement seemed a bit more reasonable and combat felt a little snappier.

My question: Should I even bother getting Elden Ring if I couldn't bring myself to beat any of the Souls games? It seems like it could be just a little more approachable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you don't like any souls games why on earth do you keep buying them?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
if you hate all the stuff that people love about the games then it seems unlikely you'd enjoy this one.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's like saying you've played and hated all the Madden games, then asking if you should get the latest Madden game

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

At least the dying and respawning miles away was basically fixed in Elden Ring, there's usually a checkpoint immediately before bosses or other tough fights that you can choose to respawn on instead of the grace (ERs version of bonfires)

The storytelling is as vague as ever though

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you don't like any souls games why on earth do you keep buying them?

Discounts are a hell of a drug and I got gifted the third game. :shrug:

I'd also get suggested any of the sequels as a "good place to start".

I'm surrounded by people that desperately want me to get into the Souls genre for whatever reason.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

repiv posted:

At least the dying and respawning miles away was basically fixed in Elden Ring, there's usually a checkpoint immediately before bosses or other tough fights that you can choose to respawn on instead of the grace (ERs version of bonfires)

The storytelling is as vague as ever though

probably moreso, because the backstory is very much a grrm creation and that dude loves his character webs

can you remember the differences between Marika, Melina, Miquella, Malenia, Godfrey, Godwyn, Rennala, Renna, Ranni, Radahn, and Radagon? hope so!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Not sure who's responsible for the names, but the overall story is very similar to the other From games.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Deakul posted:

I've dabbled in all 3 Souls games a tiny bit on PC and couldn't really click with any of them for a few reasons.

My question: Should I even bother getting Elden Ring if I couldn't bring myself to beat any of the Souls games? It seems like it could be just a little more approachable.

I bounced hard off of the DS games for the same reasons you said, but I got deep into Elden Ring. I probably won't ever beat it because I suck, but exploring the open world (carefully, knowing everything is so much more powerful than you in the beginning) is a blast. The fires are far more generous, and you have the ability to go somewhere else and level up if you're running into brick-wall difficult enemies. The story-telling is still sparse on the text front, but the visual story-telling walking around the ruined world is incredible.

There aren't a lot of games that give me the 'stranger in a strange (and incredibly dangerous) land' vibe that I love so much. Morrowind did that and so did vanilla/BC World of Warcraft. If that's your jam, you'll love it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair despite the discourse about difficulty that tediously follows every From release, Elden Ring is pretty easy to trivialize if you want to do that

I mean you can trivialize all souls borne games that are RPGs but it’s just less tedious to do so in Ring

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

If you bounced off every Fromsoft game you won't like anything about elden ring at all. you might be able to get farther or whatever but you won't enjoy it. Don't even buy it for 1 dollar

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cavauro posted:

If you bounced off every Fromsoft game you won't like anything about elden ring at all. you might be able to get farther or whatever but you won't enjoy it. Don't even buy it for 1 dollar

Yeah. The only difference is that you can out level the difficulty if you want. But all that other stuff is in there. I don't like DS games, I gave them my best go, played some hours of DS3 and Sekiro, and I'm "waiting on a performance patch" before I play more Elden Ring, but I may or may not pick it back up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My 13 year old who just could not get into Dark Souls loves Elden Ring. The open world nature of it really changes what’s possible. He watches YouTube videos of overpowered builds and then goes around and tries to make them.

We also coop with one of my brothers and despite the coop being janky it’s allowed him to finish areas, beat bosses, and just get more comfortable with the systems. He really likes it.

Plus it’s really cool to go explore an area with my brother, after we’ve both beaten it, and still be able to show each other stuff the other hasn’t seen. There’s random overworld mini-bosses that you can simply miss, and lots of exploration in the more traditional Souls levels. It rules.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, count me in as another person who quite enjoys Elden Ring despite bouncing off of every other Soulslike except Sekiro. One major factor is certainly that they finally fixed the long-rear end respawn runs, but overall I think it's also because it makes it very easy for me to focus on the parts I like about it. I was always a bit lukewarm on Dark Souls combat and found the RPG aspect of it pretty poor, but I do like the overall aesthetic and art direction. Elden Ring just lets me ride around exploring a pretty and weird-rear end world while letting me easily skip anything that feels like a pain in the rear end.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair despite the discourse about difficulty that tediously follows every From release, Elden Ring is pretty easy to trivialize if you want to do that

I mean you can trivialize all souls borne games that are RPGs but it’s just less tedious to do so in Ring

ER definitely seems to have more and easier ways to get to get OP as gently caress if you want to than the other souls games

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Deakul posted:

The biggest reason being dying and starting over at a bonfire miles away and the second reason being there's no narrative reason to actually give a poo poo, when your game's story is relegated to item descriptions then... yeah, that's not a great way to get the player invested in your world especially when it's delivered in such a piecemeal fashion.

I hated DS1, way too god damned much CQC, I was fighting the camera and getting ganked by mooks hiding behind walls everywhere.

DS2 I actually played the least amount of so I can't really say much.

DS3 I probably tolerated the most just cause the bonfire placement seemed a bit more reasonable and combat felt a little snappier.

It does address those specific problems, bonfires are a lot more generous, especially w/r/t bosses, and it gives you a strong narrative reason to be running around exploring the world right from the start.

But also, it still has the classic souls stuff. The story is vague, there are tough enemies, long sections you have to survive without a bonfire, etc etc. It's still one of those, just... a little bit more convenient. Being able to run around and explore freely really helps a lot, though. In the open world, you can just run past basically anything, or run around plinking it with arrows or magic until it dies. And if you get stuck on something, you can just go somewhere else for a while instead of beating your head against it (though that doesn't stop people).

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
conversely the bosses and areas are also much ruder than any other souls game, other than maybe like orphan of kos, though all the super rude bosses and areas are optional.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
elden ring is basically dark souls skyrim

good and bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

That was a stronger version of Glintstone Pebble? No. The only upgrades to that are from missable scrolls.

I'm not slagging the entire game over this; I did fine with Pebble. But I don't see why it's so wild to suggest that the second tier of the most basic-rear end attack spell a mage can have should be available in more than literally one place on a giant-rear end map.

Yami Fenrir posted:

It's not an upgrade, it's a sidegrade! Great Glintshard is not better then Glintstone pebble. It's much slower for a little bit more damage, it's not as good as pebble! It's not an upgrade, that's what you aren't understanding.