Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Large Testicles posted:

i thought the glitch was that i feel like i'm tripping balls watching it with the way everything is waving like you're on the ocean

seriously tho wtf is with that animation, grass doesn't behave that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I'm gonna start saying "Frownin' Jesus" now, though

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Expressions are denoted in scripts because most games these days do face capture so the actors' face and mouth movements get directly mapped to the actual character. A lot of them do mocap at the same time so performing for games is basically just acting but you're in a mocap suit.

e: Admittedly I have no idea if they'd bother to do facial capture for random NPCs, but maybe they write the scripts out with the assumption they will and then later decide who is important enough to get proper facial expressions rather than basic lip sync

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's not a stage direction, it's a cue to switch animation states for the character's face. It should never have gotten in the script

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Nobody knows why Frownin' Jesus frowns.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Do you think Jesus frowns because he too slightly disapproves of what he has created?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Jesus frowns because he can no longer wept

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

flatluigi posted:

frowning/smiling is a perfectly fine stage direction for line reads because it effects the tone of what's being said

wait so why is it in the captions

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What the frownin' Jesus is going on with that grass?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bows1 posted:

Someone done hosed up.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

bows1 posted:

Same reason it's what the actor said. Someone didn't scrub animation/reading notes from the script, and the mistakes got put in the game three ways. The script got read as-is by the VA, then put in to the game as the subtitles, then the facial animations were generated from that script.

There's just so many lines of text in a modern game it's easy to understand how it got missed, and once audio is recorded you're more or less stuck with it unless the actor is already booked for pickups later.

I wonder if they noticed the mistake when they translated it...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tricky Ed posted:

Same reason it's what the actor said. Someone didn't scrub animation/reading notes from the script, and the mistakes got put in the game three ways. The script got read as-is by the VA, then put in to the game as the subtitles, then the facial animations were generated from that script.

There's just so many lines of text in a modern game it's easy to understand how it got missed, and once audio is recorded you're more or less stuck with it unless the actor is already booked for pickups later.

I wonder if they noticed the mistake when they translated it...

Well if someone wants to see if Frownin' Jesus pops up in other editions the quest is 'The Huntress' in Ravensthorpe.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
A lot of what I'm reading sounds plausible but does anyone actually know or are we all just speculating about Frownin' Jesus?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

All knowledge is by necessity illusionary, as self-declared 'knowledge' of a thing is not the thing itself. Hope this helps.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

A lot of what I'm reading sounds plausible but does anyone actually know or are we all just speculating about Frownin' Jesus?

It's speculation, but this is far from the first time it's happened. It's a semi-common gaffe in any game with a lot of VA.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

credburn posted:

It's kind of a thing from time to time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9REWMEOLdI

A typo is a perfectly logical conclusion, but as shown above, poor editing/oversight can also be blamed.

There are at least three teams working to bring something like this together: The script writers, the voice actors and anyone directing them, and editors

If the script says "Frowning Jesus!" instead of [Frowning] "Jesus!" And nobody caught it or even saw it as a problem, then the script goes on to the voice actor.

The actor probably has an entire pile of voice lines to read, and it's probably not his job to question what's on the page - just read it how it's written and let's move on. Again, there is probably a director of some sort who is looking at the same script, but unless he's also on the writing staff, he's not going to question what's on the page. Were the words spoken in the correct order and with the correct delivery? Great. Get it done.

And all of this is assuming that the original script is written in the same language it's being recorded for. If there was a translation happening on top of that, that could add yet another layer and opportunity for mistakes.

And a lot of this could also be attributed to the dreaded "Crunch" that comes with almost every game now. Everyone works on their corner of the game and gets what they need done, and someone else is goign to stitch it all together. No time for cross referencing to see if it's right, just make sure it's done. Getting all of these bits and pieces to tie together into a working product, on time and on budget- it's incredible that video games are as functional as they are.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's important to remember for every embarrassing glitch and mistake ITT there were probably ten more that were a lot less funny and a lot more disruptive to actually playing the game, but they aren't here because they were caught internally and fixed

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing that makes stuff like that funny is also what makes it so rare, which is that it has to pass through so many people to end up in the game. Like the initial mistake of someone forgetting to put the markup around the animation directions in the scripting is pretty understandable, and even the voice actor reading it out is fairly understandable (they usually see their lines for the first time as they're reading them so they don't tend to ask a lot of questions and just assume the script is correct; it's the director's job to ask for changes in the line reading), but then you have the VO director that has to hear them read the line and not notice that they read the equivalent of a stage direction, the developer that wires up all the sound to the cutscenes not seeing it, and then all the testers playing the game not noticing the line is weird either. With so much dialogue in a modern game it's not too surprising that sometimes something slips through the cracks, but it does still depend on a lot of people not catching it at every level of development.

Then again, it's also something where it's entirely possible people did catch it, but far enough down the pipe that it would have been too much expense to bring a VO back in to re-record this one extremely minor line (and maybe just editing out the "frowning" sounded weird) so they just left it as is because at the end of the day, it's not like it crashes the game or anything.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

After relistening, "frownin'' Jesus" is definitely more tightly strung together than I remembered. It should've been caught by a vo director, but I'm not at all surprised now if someone further along in the production pipeline just didn't notice. (I'm glad they didn't)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it's important to remember for every embarrassing glitch and mistake ITT there were probably ten more that were a lot less funny and a lot more disruptive to actually playing the game, but they aren't here because they were caught internally and fixed

This is very true.

As an example, today three deleted script lines showed up in a pre-release build because nobody checked the drat ID numbers and instead of saying "clearly we have put the wrong words here, the words struck out in red and marked DELETE OR DO NOT USE, and we should replace them with the dialogue lines marked USE THIS INSTEAD OF LINE XYZ" they assumed it was my fault and complained the script did not make sense.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a ton of little ways someone would have heard it and brought it up and through the sheer power of some-elses-problem that keeps these projects moving it would have been dismissed because "well a voice director signed off on the read and the mix, must be something weird the historians slipped in."

Thinking about it the same attitude probably includes why a voice director would sign off. Frowning Jesus, these projects can be a mess.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

To be fair the game is 18 months old and as far as I can tell I'm the first person to pick up on it, so it's not an absolutely crucial fix.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Necrothatcher posted:

To be fair the game is 18 months old and as far as I can tell I'm the first person to pick up on it, so it's not an absolutely crucial fix.

I mean it is ultimately what made me decide to pass on it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zedprime posted:

There's a ton of little ways someone would have heard it and brought it up and through the sheer power of some-elses-problem that keeps these projects moving it would have been dismissed because "well a voice director signed off on the read and the mix, must be something weird the historians slipped in."

Thinking about it the same attitude probably includes why a voice director would sign off. Frowning Jesus, these projects can be a mess.

That's a good point too. Given that it's a period piece I wouldn't be surprised if a few people noticed but just assumed it must have been a historically accurate phrase people just don't use anymore.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My Face is Tired

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

christmas boots posted:

That's a good point too. Given that it's a period piece I wouldn't be surprised if a few people noticed but just assumed it must have been a historically accurate phrase people just don't use anymore.

Yeah tbh it sounds exactly like a weird old timey euphemism so i think if i played the game blind it would not register as weird at all

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Keith David played Julius in the first Saints Row, in which he gives the player character the nickname "Playa," as in player, as both a meta thing and as a way to get around the player character having no name. He spent an entire game pronouncing playa in that way, plus additional appearances in other entries in the series.

And yet, in an audio log you can find in Saints Row 4, he pronounces the word playa as though it were the Spanish word for beach, when referring to the player's actions. You'd think that everyone involved would know how Julius referred to the player character, but it slipped past because the read kind of made sense and was probably recorded out of order. Games are hard.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Tricky Ed posted:

Keith David played Julius in the first Saints Row, in which he gives the player character the nickname "Playa," as in player, as both a meta thing and as a way to get around the player character having no name. He spent an entire game pronouncing playa in that way, plus additional appearances in other entries in the series.

And yet, in an audio log you can find in Saints Row 4, he pronounces the word playa as though it were the Spanish word for beach, when referring to the player's actions. You'd think that everyone involved would know how Julius referred to the player character, but it slipped past because the read kind of made sense and was probably recorded out of order. Games are hard.

He probably just wanted to point out what a little beach the player character was being.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

probably not, in context

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

in Keith David's defense he might have been distracted by also needing to play the role of Keith David in that game

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

He probably just wanted to point out what a little beach the player character was being.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The Saint's Row games got fuckin weird.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Had a fun Elden Ring glitch yesterday!

I was co-oping with my buddy, and I was the host. He used a torch that let's you spew purple sleep flame from your mouth and since Elden Ring, he got disconnected in the middle of the animation. When I summoned him back into the game, he was still spewing flame, and continued to do so until we beat the boss. Sadly the flame was just for show but funny because flame would shoot out whereever his face was pointing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

so hunt currently has a game-ruining bug where disconnecting and reconnecting to a match while you're dead allows you to haunt the body of your dead hunter, sliding around on the ground and punching your killers to death as a vengeful unkillable corpse

it looks incredible from both perspectives and there is no way to know someone is haunting their body as long as they stay motionless

https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/tfxbnc/sick_update_crytek/

https://dm.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/tgj7um/this_new_bug_has_some_potential_for_some_real/

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Mar 18, 2022

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

so hunt currently has a game-ruining bug where disconnecting and reconnecting to a match while you're dead allows you to haunt the body of your dead hunter, sliding around on the ground and punching your killers to death as a vengeful unkillable corpse

it looks incredible from both perspectives and there is no way to know someone is haunting their body as long as they stay motionless

https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/tfxbnc/sick_update_crytek/

https://dm.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/tgj7um/this_new_bug_has_some_potential_for_some_real/

I dunno this one kinda fits with the overall lore of the game tho?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

GyverMac posted:

lol yea i was wondering what the necro magic(?) was about, were they trying to revive the person who was dead and punching?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There’s a perk called necromancer that lets you revive a dead teammate from a distance instead of having to reach their body, so they were seeing if they were within range to do that

GyverMac posted:

Game’s theme isn’t named Rise Up Dead Man for nothing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I-4HNs3VSjg

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
PARTY

https://twitter.com/SWAAD666/status/1505669515182743555

HARD

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'm not 100% sure what the thing I'm seeing is. Is it a healing spell and a damage spell both proc'ing at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They use the weapon art from the big spear to buff it at the cost of hurting themself, then they use the weapon art they've put on their buckler to buff something. Best guess, the second buff is somehow getting confused into thinking it should use the animation of the first buff over and over at high speed.