Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Warmachine posted:

You can download it, but some SteamID fuckling lets the mod go "Ahh, that <racist explicative> user 42069, I'm supposed to set all their road speeds to 10 because they left a bad review of my creator's mods once."

Which seems like a great way to piss off Valve and lose your Steam account for abusing their software for malicious purposes. Which it sounds like is exactly what happened according to some commentary about the malicious mod creator's accounts getting banned.

As someone who sees modding as a communal exercise in which everyone should be allowed to freely improve the work through creation of derivatives (and has always been transparent and welcoming with his own works) :rubby:

And doing it in the absolute loving dumbest way imaginable too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The mad nerd thinks that he discovered a ~\~keylogger~\~ in CSL and that a mod he released to disable said telemetry is why he's being "discriminated against".

This remind of C E R T A I N S A N C T I O N S, anyone?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What are the principles of a good busline?

What are the principles of a good busline IRL?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
read jarrett walker's human transit

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

nrook posted:

read jarrett walker's human transit

start here https://humantransit.org/basics

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This link has been extremely helpful to me, I've been trying to find good articles to give my students about urban planning.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

love to see a .org domain

oh snap, they have my city! https://humantransit.org/cities

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is there anything I can/should do if my bog-standard industrial district has suddenly started to bitch at me about Not Enough Workers when, from what I can tell, what they really mean is "all we offer is uneducated jobs, you're doing a good job educating your city so everyone has a diploma, you just zoned your first office districts, and now nobody wants to work at our lovely low-paying jobs any more"?

My first reaction was "let 'em die" but I have a vague sense that Industry Good, or at least it should be? I know people build towards railways, they must be generating goods they want to ship out of city. Am I supposed to be nudging my high-polluting idiots to start offering better jobs somehow?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Make more housing.

Cims will take the best job they can, so the highly educated will prefer high tech jobs, but will still take low tech jobs if that's all available. There is no danger to over-educating, unless your work force is already too small to cover all the jobs.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

is there a way to take a screenshot in cinematic camera without going out of camera?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

nielsm posted:

Make more housing.

Cims will take the best job they can, so the highly educated will prefer high tech jobs, but will still take low tech jobs if that's all available. There is no danger to over-educating, unless your work force is already too small to cover all the jobs.
Hmm, I suppose that my problem is actually that I overbuild industrial because it was showing a huge demand when actually my problem was I should've built offices earlier. So it'll self-solve.

Is there any reason to keep the low tech jobs, though? Why shouldn't I just hit the entire industrial district with an IT Jobs policy and make them modernize?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Why shouldn't I just hit the entire industrial district with an IT Jobs policy and make them modernize?

alright thatcher

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

alright thatcher
If I didn't want to be a Landlord I wouldn't be playing sims games, would I

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

My garbagemen seem to have gone on strike.

They're funded, I don't have traffic problems, there are no vehicle bans on any roads. They're just refusing to send trucks onto the streets and I don't know why.

e: Figured it out, apparently using TM:PE to do lane connections on the node connecting the industrial road to my roundabout -- but only the industrial road, everything else can be connected -- causes every city service to refuse to operate.

Now to deal with the utter traffic nightmare of my garbage and corpse collection buildings all flooding the streets to get everything that had piled up under control.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 27, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I haven't played the game since 2016 apparently. I spent :20bux::10bux: for DLC's and fired up the game. Installed some sweet new mods, and new water treatment and nuclear plants too. Now one side of the river is full, time to move to another side. Maybe I should build a new main hub to the other side of the river, a fresh start with more room to design stuff.

That pink ground looks as funky as it did 7 years ago. Shame they haven't fixed it yet. Maybe I need some kind of mod to paint it over with concrete.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ihmemies posted:

I haven't played the game since 2016 apparently. I spent :20bux::10bux: for DLC's and fired up the game. Installed some sweet new mods, and new water treatment and nuclear plants too. Now one side of the river is full, time to move to another side. Maybe I should build a new main hub to the other side of the river, a fresh start with more room to design stuff.

Something is wrong. Your river isn't filled with poop.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Locator posted:

Something is wrong. Your river isn't filled with poop.

I guess having 4x more sewage treatment capacity than sewage helps to migitate the problem :shrug:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ater struggling with slow loads and instability and being annoyed at all the missing asset messages, I finally did what I should have done ages ago and wiped all my workshop items and started reinstalling mods from scratch after compiling a list of "essential starting mods" I was going to reinstall right away... which turned out to be about 50 items before getting into anything involving district themes or custom building assets. This goddamn game.

One day I'll actually build a city without abandoning it one day in.

I also finally watched some tutorial videos on how to actually use Node Controller and oh my god this mod fixes so much stuff than I thought it did.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Those screenshots are remarkably relaxing to look at.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I've been playing for a bit just experimenting with most of the DLC & no mods, when all of a sudden a tsunami completely levels 3/4 of my town.

I've had earthquakes and meteors already but the tsunami is just a whole other level of disaster. Am I supposed to do anything to minimize the damage?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Depends on the terrain you’re building on to start with. If it’s something like Islands, you’d expect that the outlying islands will get swamped every now and then but the mainland should be safe.

You should be able to build buoys in order to warn you about incoming tsunamis and how tall they will be.

:black101: Install the Raganarok mod that lets you set the tsunami height at 25.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Trucker Hat posted:

I've been playing for a bit just experimenting with most of the DLC & no mods, when all of a sudden a tsunami completely levels 3/4 of my town.

I've had earthquakes and meteors already but the tsunami is just a whole other level of disaster. Am I supposed to do anything to minimize the damage?

High terrain can partially or completely block a tsunami. Depending on the map, you may be able to use landscaping tools and floodwalls to create levees that can block some or all of the water, limiting the damage. You might be out of luck if it's a water-heavy map or if you built heavily around the coastline, though.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
First time I got tsunami, I hit the button to go to shelters. Even though it took like 20 minutes for tsunami to reach the city, half the population was still walking around like nothing was going on, then half of those in shelters died anyway, and I lost cool 20 million or something. Next time I just ignored the warning and I lost way less money and was able to recover. Then I disabled disasters because it was really stupid having to click on every piece of road to get it repaired (maybe that was after tornado though)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

When I received tsunami warning, I once built a cheap wall from one of those tall rocks available in landscaping tools, because I could place them in the water and it worked and blocked the tsunami, then I removed them :shrug:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ever since SimCity 2000 the only actual gameplay function of disasters has been to gleefully destroy your city like a kid smashing a sandcastle. Having them randomly occur when you're actually trying to build a city has never actually been fun.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
At the very least give players active ways to counter natural disasters, preferably ones that require a bit of strategy and aren't 1) expensive as gently caress and 2) don't require a shitload of grinding to access.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

um excuse me posted:

At the very least give players active ways to counter natural disasters, preferably ones that require a bit of strategy and aren't 1) expensive as gently caress and 2) don't require a shitload of grinding to access.

Tsunamis seem like they should be one of the cases where there is a way that fits this in the form of constructing barrier islands. That said, the 'strategy' part should have a component that occurs before your city is built. Some places get one earthquake in 40 years and all it does is rattle some cups, but get hell tornadoes every spring. Other places earthquakes are endemic but a tornado is a freak event. Absolutely no one plans for a meteor strike.

Like was pointed out somewhere upthread, CO really deals in traffic sims, so this level of strategy probably wasn't even brainstormed in the CS design doc.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sucks cause between the dynamic water flow and how utterly loving pointless plumbing is now Skylines has a great niche for some kind of flood management system that would actually add something to city design

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 14, 2022

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
My way to protect from meteor strikes is to aggressively buy as many area squares as possible way before I need the space and just pray that the meteors hit empty space.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

sucks cause between the dynamic water flow and how utterly loving pointless plumbing is now Skylines has a great niche for some kind of flood management system that would actually add something to city design

The water flow in this game is too glacially slow for any kind of gameplay based on it to be fun.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone run this on one of the new 14" M1 Pro (not nax) MBPs? I think I remember running it on my i7 13" MBP was an exercise in frustration and slowly going deaf from fan. noise. Just wondering if the M1 is marginally better.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Trucker Hat posted:

My way to protect from meteor strikes is to aggressively buy as many area squares as possible way before I need the space and just pray that the meteors hit empty space.

Mine is to not pay for the Disasters DLC

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Trucker Hat posted:

The one interesting thing that came from a meteor strike was it annihilating one of my out-of-city interchanges and instead of building the interchange in the same place, I moved it and turned the crater into a park.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Eric the Mauve posted:

Mine is to not pay for the Disasters DLC

The only correct solution.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well, looks like I'm playing skylines again. Started a new city. Trains? Trains are SUPERCOOL.

Never tried making a custom train station before, it's fun!

Of course need tons of bike parking at the station

HungryHungryHobo
Jan 4, 2020
Been itching for a city builder lately and was happy to discover this in my library.

In my short time as mayor there have been some less than ideal decisions made but my people are a strong people and we will only prosper under hardship. We will remember those who have drowned in our poo poo as heroes.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's going to quickly become a 100% poo lake.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

um excuse me posted:

Would it be CS without a poo lake?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

um excuse me posted:

The population (poopulation?) is going to die of dysentery first with that water tower so close by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

good sale going on now, C:S 80% off, most DLCs 50% off

https://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/Cities_Skylines/