Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Looper posted:

triple trouble is good

Sunset Park Act 3 is a real banger

I recall Sonic Chaos being halfway decent for a GameGear sonic as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, they apparently remade the first SMS game as well

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sonic 4 was mediocre to me. It wasn't good, it wasn't the worst overall, but that makes it hard to defend. You fuckin put the number on an afterthought of a product. Of course people are gonna poo poo all over it.

Frankly, the thing I hated the most were the special stages in 4...part 1...being tied to motion controls. I don't think I ever got the 7th emerald.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

sonic 4 had absolutely awful physics

they took a momentum-based platforming series and gave it no momentum

also the level design was for poo poo though sonic cd was worse in that regard and the boss fights, especially in episode 2, were bad even by the low standards of sonic boss fights

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sonic 4 was playable. This is the nicest thing I can say about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Sonic 4 was mediocre to me. It wasn't good, it wasn't the worst overall, but that makes it hard to defend. You fuckin put the number on an afterthought of a product. Of course people are gonna poo poo all over it.

Frankly, the thing I hated the most were the special stages in 4...part 1...being tied to motion controls. I don't think I ever got the 7th emerald.

I thought Part 2 was better than Part 1 at least but that’s not saying a whole lot (and apparently there was going to be a third chapter but it got canned)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The worst thing about Sonic 4 is hearing what Jun Senoue thought the Megadrive sounded like.

It’s not just kazoo sounds. Sonic 3 used steel drum samples!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

blackguy32 posted:

I loved the E102 stages in Sonic Adventure but I HATED them in SA2. So I don't blame you.

The biggest problem with the mech stages in SA2 imo is the sound design. While the gameplay's a bit clunkier than Gamma's stages from the previous game, what makes them an utter horror to play through is the obnoxious, high pitched tone they used for the targeting system.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Heroes and Secret Rings both have underlying mechanics that threaten to be really fun and cool character action, almost DMC-esque speedrun games.

But dodgy motion controls, bad RPG mechanics, and a time-slow button that guts the framerate ruin what would otherwise be some pretty great level design and physics in Secret Rings, and awful arena battles make Heroes a miserable chore.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Heroes is a good idea but broken at its core. In addition to the arena stuff , slow homing attack, and enemies with multiple hits, it controls like the characters are covered in crisco and reads/sounds like it was written by a kindergartner.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sonic and the black knight owns because the ending reveals that sonic was the real king arthur all along

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sonic gets a cape and that's badass.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

sonic and the black knight owns because the ending reveals that sonic was the real king arthur all along

And that the entire thing was bullshit so he could get out of a date with Amy

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I had three games on Game Gear: Sonic 2, Sonic Labyrinth, and Triple Trouble. Loved all of them. I never got to play Tail's Adventure and I should probably fix that

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Ventana posted:

Is there a video of this? That sounds kinda cool and I'd like to see how it plays out (but I'm too lazy to mod my game myself).

There's this guy who goes through Tails and Eggman's first levels with it on. Unfortunately those levels are kind of boxed in and linear so maybe harder to see the difference in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5r1YFsWqME

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47r8FXYZWNU

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1503358676521738243

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Oh this looks as bad/good/goofy as the first movie.
Perfect

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sweet poster but where is Knuckles peeking out of a bush?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Frankston posted:

That's Sonic 3

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

MikeJF posted:

That's Sonic 3

Yes I know this but if Knuckles is going to be in the sonic 2 movie then they should do a mash-up of the 2 & 3 game covers as well

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Sonic owns

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Frankston posted:

he's peeking out of the numer 2

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Knuckles face in the reflection of the 2

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'll absolutely bet that at one point the tagline was 'Welcome to the next act' and then it got rewritten to level by a dweeb in marketing who thought level was more recognisably videogamey.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Kikas posted:

he's peeking out of the numer 2

Lol poo poo I didn't even see that.

It should still be a bush though.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I'll absolutely bet that at one point the tagline was 'Welcome to the next act' and then it got rewritten to level by a dweeb in marketing who thought level was more recognisably videogamey.

...is this bait I can never tell

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

If Sonic actually turns Super Sonic this time they are doing a good job of hiding it in the previews. Like I would imagine the marketing team would be tripping over themselves to show a bit of it.

And I mean real DBZ Super Sonic, get that weak first movie Super Sonic stuff out of my face

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Everyone seems to think Shadow will be in the post-credits stinger but they probably should introduce Amy first and maybe do an Adventure 1 adaptation where Tom adopts an overweight big cat who likes fish and chases after frogs. A tom cat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My money's on amy getting freaked out by what we think is sonic but then he emerges and we see his metallic nature

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
That poster is sick. This actually looks like a Sonic movie instead of movie starring Sonic like the first one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macaluso posted:

If Sonic actually turns Super Sonic this time they are doing a good job of hiding it in the previews. Like I would imagine the marketing team would be tripping over themselves to show a bit of it.

And I mean real DBZ Super Sonic, get that weak first movie Super Sonic stuff out of my face

Marketing seems to be better at not spoiling literally every twist in a movie in the trailers lately, see No Way Home. Though avoid the post-credits.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I expect nothing less than the entire credits consisting of “Name & Knuckles” for every person on the movie.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The credits song is just Unknown from M.E.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Everyone seems to think Shadow will be in the post-credits stinger but they probably should introduce Amy first and maybe do an Adventure 1 adaptation where Tom adopts an overweight big cat who likes fish and chases after frogs. A tom cat.

I am entirely onboard so long as Big inexplicably has the same design as his mainline counterpart and absolutely no one acts like there's anything odd about a 6 ft tall, talking purple cat existing on Earth.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Funky Valentine posted:

The credits song is just A Ghost Pumpkin Soup.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

The credits song is just Unknown from M.E.

I bet there's some motif of that song in the movie when he shows up, even if it's just a subtle bit

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Sonic 2 boxart throwback works but it's a different vibe than Eggman grabbing the gently caress outta the number 2 all big and pissed off.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MikeJF posted:

"Welcome to the Next Level" is an old sega slogan tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Sonic owns