Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Harrow posted:

I assume you mean +25 on the Uchigatana?

I'm surprised Night and Flame does that much damage on a melee swing. What target are you using to test it and what stats? Split damage definitely doesn't seem to be nearly as much of a drawback in Elden Ring as it usually is (which I really hope doesn't get nerfed because I love being able to do good damage in melee with elemental weapons).

Sorry, I'm looking at the numbers in the equipment screen. Is there maybe a better way to evaluate weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tbh I forgot parrying was a thing until I started fighting Crucible Kights on the regular.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

No Wave posted:

Tbh parry videos don't make me feel bad, it's just 10+ hours of attempts to learn it.

This kind of video actually makes me feel dumb though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vozs2fopH5o

no rolling is definitely the next tier of challenge mode, that's what tolomeo did on the previous soulsborne games

no rolling or parrying, sl1 that is

soul of cinder took a while

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm disappointed I can't resummon my ashes.

I want to spam free rats. It's Free Rat Estate.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Mimic Tear has absolutely nothing on Black Knife Tiche. Maybe my build is garbage, so Mimic Tear is, uhh, mimicking that, but Black Knife rarely gets hit and she can just melt bosses

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Tibalt posted:

Yeah, not to restart the excruciating twitter fight here, but I wish they had implemented a journal quest tracker a la Breath of the Wild. The open world style makes the From Software style quests so much more esoteric and annoying compared to other Soulsborne games. They make a few concessions - Varre points down a message telling you where he's going, for example - but it's very inconsistent and they could have done a lot more.

There will inevitably be a mod for PC that does just this. It tickles me to think you can probably hack in an entire Ubisoft-style map-marker/objective pointer/quest tracker and make this into a much different style of game.

Honestly, I'm a little torn. The constant pop-ups and icons and missions in most open-world games get stale and played-out, but Elden Ring feels almost like an old-school roguelike in terms of how little they'll give you to show what you should be doing. It is really, really cool in theory, and creates a neat metagame for skilled players who explore and try different things to piece all this stuff together. I really like reading about how people are figuring out the quests and the hidden plots, but since I'm kinda poo poo at this game, in practice it means that I either have to constantly consult guides or just accept that I'll miss a lot of cool content.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The odd thing is they did implement a system for putting quest markers on the map, but only use it like twice, and one of those times it's stating the obvious (go east of the capital)

They must have been experimenting with how much info to give the player before settling back on "nothing"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Sorry, I'm looking at the numbers in the equipment screen. Is there maybe a better way to evaluate weapons?

Ohh, yeah, you need to actually test them on enemies. The listed attack rating doesn't tell the full story at all. Weapons with multiple damage types usually have a much higher listed attack power, but do less damage in practice because defense isn't linear. Ojetor posted a good explanation of how defense and attack power work in Souls games earlier in the thread:

Ojetor posted:

To expand a bit on this, split damage is usually lower but not because it's going through two separate defenses (in fact, this is usually one of the advantages, if your target is weak to your element), but rather because of how the attack vs. defense formula works. Bigger hits deal many times more damage than directly comparing attack numbers might indicate. For example, if you have two weapons and one has 200 attack and another has 300, you'd probably expect the second weapon to do around 50% more damage than the first. However, that is not the case. It will probably end up doing twice the damage because of how the attack vs. defense formula works. This is the reason why upgrading your weapon is the single most important aspect of managing your equipment.

For elemental weapons, the damage of each instance is calculated individually, so even though it might look like a weapon has 300 total attack, it's split into two separate 150 attacks. Which does not actually add up to what a single 300 attack does. Of course, speaking in general terms only, resistances and weaknesses could change that balance vs. specific enemies.

I would also note that is all based on DS formulas but so far there's no reason to think anything has changed significantly.

So while the Sword of Night and Flame has a really high listed attack power, it being split three ways means it's probably going to do a lot less damage on hit than a weapon that does only one type of damage. That said, Elden Ring seems to have tweaked the formula (or just made attack powers go high enough) that two-way split damage isn't nearly as big of a drawback as it used to be. Three-way split damage like Night and Flame's is still pretty bad, but that's okay, nobody's picking up Night and Flame to swing the sword anyway.

Something like Moonveil or the Dark Moon Greatsword dealing two types of damage isn't that big of a drawback, though. There are enough enemies resistant to pure physical damage this time, and their attack powers are high enough on their own, that the actual damage on hit is reasonably close to a weapon that only deals one type of damage.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Pollyanna posted:

Holy cock, is there any reason not to use Sword of Night and Flame? Scaling with a whole four attributes and having three different sources of damage is absolutely disgusting and I kind of love it and hate it at the same time.

Trying to think of what melee loadout I want to go with for postgame. Comparing damage:

• Moonveil+10 and Cold Uchigatana+5 powerstance: 1193 damage total, split across physical and magic
  • Sword of Night and Flame+10 one-hand: 687 damage total, split across physical magic, and fire
  • Dark Moon Greatsword two-hand: 712 damage total (777 buffed), split across physical and magic

So many cool weapons, and yet I can't use them all. :negative:

Yea the night and flame is bad rear end. I am probably going to make a longsword version of the cold uchi and start doubling up the night and flame with that just for shits and gigs. That would be hitting with a whole ton of different damage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

For the low, low price of most of your health you summon a clone of yourself, ashes of war and spells and all.

Its not even half your HP at 40 vig

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Current fastest (I think) speedrun of the game is down to about 28 minutes lol

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

NicelyNice posted:

Mimic Tear has absolutely nothing on Black Knife Tiche. Maybe my build is garbage, so Mimic Tear is, uhh, mimicking that, but Black Knife rarely gets hit and she can just melt bosses

I haven't bothered upgrading/testing Tiche, but Mimic Tear absolutely has something over it no matter what: you can summon it without having invested anything in Mind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To be clear about the Sword of Night and Flame, it's still one of the best weapons in the game, it's just that actually swinging it isn't the point. The weapon art is the real draw there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

I haven't bothered upgrading/testing Tiche, but Mimic Tear absolutely has something over it no matter what: you can summon it without having invested anything in Mind.

Yeah this is why mimic is the go to, every single build can take advantage of it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

Ohh, yeah, you need to actually test them on enemies. The listed attack rating doesn't tell the full story at all. Weapons with multiple damage types usually have a much higher listed attack power, but do less damage in practice because defense isn't linear. Ojetor posted a good explanation of how defense and attack power work in Souls games earlier in the thread:

So while the Sword of Night and Flame has a really high listed attack power, it being split three ways means it's probably going to do a lot less damage on hit than a weapon that does only one type of damage. That said, Elden Ring seems to have tweaked the formula (or just made attack powers go high enough) that two-way split damage isn't nearly as big of a drawback as it used to be. Three-way split damage like Night and Flame's is still pretty bad, but that's okay, nobody's picking up Night and Flame to swing the sword anyway.

Something like Moonveil or the Dark Moon Greatsword dealing two types of damage isn't that big of a drawback, though. There are enough enemies resistant to pure physical damage this time, and their attack powers are high enough on their own, that the actual damage on hit is reasonably close to a weapon that only deals one type of damage.

This is why I've been using the tree sentinel halberd forever. Some of its damage being holy isn't holding me back at all. I've only run into a couple things I do poo poo damage on, both in/outside BS

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I'm really curious what the other popular speedrun categories will end up being. The ones people are doing now are any% (which yeah is down to like 28 minutes thanks to a couple wrong warps) and all remembrances, which I haven't looked at yet.

I'm sure people will do actual all bosses runs, too, but those are going to be pretty long and probably not that exciting to watch, if I had to guess. Any% and all remembrances should be fun, though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Yeah there's some massive exploits, they wrong-warp to Farum Azula, and glitch past Gideon and Godfreys fights, so ultimately they beat the game after only fighting Godskin Duo, Maliketh and the final boss

There's a glitch that allows skipping even Godskin Duo but nobody has figured out how to do it consistently yet

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I did fire giant yesterday and...actually really ended up enjoying it? Based on what I was reading in here I expected an absolute garbage fight and after a few goes and taking a step back to see some of his moves it ended up being a really cool, intense, and, when I got him, rewarding challenge. The only thing I didn't feel 100% confident on was triggering the fire orbs to explode, spent a good deal of time leading them to a safe area before even attempting.

The biggest issue I imagine a lot of people have are just not being able to see any of his moves during the fight, but if he had some really obvious tells- specifically audio tells- it might make the fight a lot more manageable. Thinking like in Monster Hunter how some enemies will roar a specific way and you know exactly what move they're about to do.

Also phase 2 is one of them few times I've felt horse combat was absolutely the way to go for a boss. Really feel more comfortable 9/10 of the time on foot but the openings he gives you in that second phase are so generous and he uses such a small moveset. Had so much fun barreling in and weaving through him to attack.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Does anyone know if there are plans to produce a printed guidebook for this? Seems like a perfect candidate for that treatment.

Sample_text posted:

And of course I'm using this spell as my main :

I'm nearly completely new to souldbornes, what spell is this?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Barudak posted:

Plus you end up having a ton of flasks later on.

Although I am telling yall 5 Greatshield Soliders is extremely good at keeping bosses busy.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Macaluso posted:

No-hit is down to around 10 hits as well.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mimic tear should knock off half your max HP, not just require you to flask up once. This would make it a harder pick.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

I'm really curious what the other popular speedrun categories will end up being. The ones people are doing now are any% (which yeah is down to like 28 minutes thanks to a couple wrong warps) and all remembrances, which I haven't looked at yet.

I'm sure people will do actual all bosses runs, too, but those are going to be pretty long and probably not that exciting to watch, if I had to guess. Any% and all remembrances should be fun, though.

It's not so much speedrun as challenge run, but no-hit has already started, with GinoMachino no-hitting the game. He's moving on to all-bosses no-hit next. I'm a big fan of the category, the DS1 no-hit league just before release was a cool competition to watch.

Otherwise, not sure who, but some mad lad is bound to run All Achievements and, of course, some kind of 100% (say, every single boss health bar foe).

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Harrow posted:

No it's a very powerful sword most of the time. I got it swinging so often it may as well be my dick.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Blue Raider posted:

No-hit is down to around 10 hits as well.

Err, no, it's down to 0 actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geC1VFW9MgU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah the sword of night and fire's three-way damage still tends to work out very well

Barudak posted:

I've got 31 with soreseal on and it's still most, guess I need to crank up the rest of it. Either way it's just a sippy, so it's great value

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh yeah at the end did anyone else reflexively click on the first message they saw after beating elden beat, expecting it to be the usual celebratory player message shitpost, and accidentally choose an ending since there's no confirmation

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Blue Raider posted:

Does anyone know if there are plans to produce a printed guidebook for this? Seems like a perfect candidate for that treatment.

I'm nearly completely new to souldbornes, what spell is this?

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Comet+Azur

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I feel like a good compromise between Ubisoft icon spam and the "no good UX allowed" diehard crowd would just be icons on the map screen representing where people you've already met are. I was trying to do quests involving Nepheli and Millicent and I just couldn't find what obscure ruin they hosed off to without looking it up. In the older streamlined Souls experience, you would at least run by the same bonfires over and over so you could have a better chance of running into them. With this open world concept, it's really hard to predict where a player will go *and when*. So just throw a little token on the map screen (and make it toggled off by default to appease the hardcores). We already have a map with quest tokens from D and Volcano Manor, 10 more tokens (with 5 of them at Roundtable 90% of the time) isn't going to hurt anything.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Macaluso posted:

yeah, dist2 got it down to 28:59 just this morning

it could probably get to under 20 minutes if someone figures out how to do the binoboost consistently so that godskin duo can be skipped

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Big proponent of finding at least some type of ranged, bow/spell/incantation that you like. Less about cheese and more that quite a few bosses have one or two “I’m about to do some crazy poo poo to anyone within 5 feet of me” moves, and being able to get a couple of ranged hits in whilst they have fun doing that is always nice. Every little helps chipping down that hp bar.

Also if you're hitting with ranged attacks instead of just standing around waiting you're not just maintaining but contributing to the hidden stance break meter. Even the most basic crafted throwing knives make a huge difference in that regard.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Checked my time played and it's just under 75 hours, having completed every major boss and unveiling the entire map. I probably missed some smaller dungeons but I'm happy with that. Tried going back after beating the game and that spark is kinda gone now, so maybe it's time for something different.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

That Dang Dad posted:

I feel like a good compromise between Ubisoft icon spam and the "no good UX allowed" diehard crowd would just be icons on the map screen representing where people you've already met are. I was trying to do quests involving Nepheli and Millicent and I just couldn't find what obscure ruin they hosed off to without looking it up. In the older streamlined Souls experience, you would at least run by the same bonfires over and over so you could have a better chance of running into them. With this open world concept, it's really hard to predict where a player will go *and when*. So just throw a little token on the map screen (and make it toggled off by default to appease the hardcores). We already have a map with quest tokens from D and Volcano Manor, 10 more tokens (with 5 of them at Roundtable 90% of the time) isn't going to hurt anything.

Yea I was gonna say these already exist for Volcano Manor. It's odd of the game to go all in on it in one context, and completely ignore it in another.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Bumped up the level of my low level character to 32 to see if it made a difference and I'm really not seeing one yet 😬 Only today the lag is so bad I'm facing non stop fights where the host/summons don't take damage for a full 5 seconds after they get hit. That's on top of people running around with crucible knight armour and endgame weapons having their summons do all the work for them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

actionjackson posted:

this looks to be a good alternative map, maybe add to the OP?

https://mapgenie.io/elden-ring

if you register you can also keep track of what you've done so far which is nice

This map is so much better than the Fetlife map. It's so smooth.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

CYBEReris posted:

Also if you're hitting with ranged attacks instead of just standing around waiting you're not just maintaining but contributing to the hidden stance break meter. Even the most basic crafted throwing knives make a huge difference in that regard.

Also there is an arrow for every damage type so it can actually make a big difference. Like Radhan is weak to rot so whittling him down with a bunch of those is a good strategy.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 14, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

“people” posted:

:words: about damage

Huh, fancy that. I guess it helps even the playing field and balance all the weapons better. More variety is always a good thing IMO, so I’m down. Might be worth playing around with more weapons!

repiv posted:

oh yeah at the end did anyone else reflexively click on the first message they saw after beating elden beat, expecting it to be the usual celebratory player message shitpost, and accidentally choose an ending since there's no confirmation

I did. The good news is it’s objectively the best ending in the game, and exactly the one I wanted, so I’m happy anyway.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

This map is so much better than the Fetlife map. It's so smooth.

Thats some kinda freudian slip

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

visiting fextralife and trying to find anything is a thoroughly masochistic experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

Thats some kinda freudian slip

look sometimes you just wanna be prisoners having a fun evening with glintstone pebbles