Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like the sidehill wampus/gouger/dodger on the silly front. The internal logic of how it works to how you defeat one just tickles me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

stereobreadsticks posted:

Now, I could go on and on about these things and other similar legends but I was just kind of curious about what the thread's favorite silly cryptids and legenary creatures are.

They're all silly, OP. That's why I love them

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

A interdimensional psychic ape roaming the north american forests is a joke to you??

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I Love Loosies posted:

A interdimensional psychic ape roaming the north american forests is a joke to you??

:hmmyes:

Speaking of potentially silly things, after listening to a fair amount of Monster Talk, I've been checking out the spinoff In Research Of podcast and enjoying it a lot. It's nice to have a focused center to the show in discussing the original In Search Of TV episodes in order. The funny part is that I never watched that show growing up, I only know of it through cultural osmosis, but the podcast has gotten me to start seeking it out to watch too. It's very entertaining because it tries to be a fairly serious science(-ish) show (coming well before the proliferation of the modern more bombastic cryptid/paranormal shows, as pointed out many times on the podcast), but it has such a mix of actual facts & discussion as well as just complete bullshit. And that's all presented by a very serious Leonard Nimoy in Extremely 1970s Clothing, serenaded by awesome 70s synth music.

They're both very fun, and I highly recommend folks to check them out.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
My son said yesterday "Bigfoot used to be real but someone shot him, and he's dead" so there's the mystery solved.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

So tragic to hear :(

Maybe the TRUE cryptid monster was man all along

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Captain Hygiene posted:

:hmmyes:

Speaking of potentially silly things, after listening to a fair amount of Monster Talk, I've been checking out the spinoff In Research Of podcast and enjoying it a lot. It's nice to have a focused center to the show in discussing the original In Search Of TV episodes in order. The funny part is that I never watched that show growing up, I only know of it through cultural osmosis, but the podcast has gotten me to start seeking it out to watch too. It's very entertaining because it tries to be a fairly serious science(-ish) show (coming well before the proliferation of the modern more bombastic cryptid/paranormal shows, as pointed out many times on the podcast), but it has such a mix of actual facts & discussion as well as just complete bullshit. And that's all presented by a very serious Leonard Nimoy in Extremely 1970s Clothing, serenaded by awesome 70s synth music.

They're both very fun, and I highly recommend folks to check them out.

I marathoned a bunch of episodes and it was cool swinging from UFOs and Bigfoots to "realer" subjects like tornado/storm chasers, tsunamis, and Bermuda Triangle pirates. That last episode features a young Carl Hiaasen too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A friend of mine who keeps a bit more of a closer look on cryptid forums and such told me there was some guy making a big deal about looking for Mongolian Death Worms....in Arizona.

"there have been dozens of sightings!"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We've been looking in the wrong place for years

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

The original report is in BUFORA Journal vol 6 no 5 1978.

Link to PDF
https://files.afu.se/Downloads/Maga...nFeb%201978.pdf

Greg of Doom has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Mar 13, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It turns out that NZ comedian/actor Rhys Darby has been obsessed with cryptids for a LONG time and has been co-hosting a podcast called The Cryptid Factor for about a decade

https://soundcloud.com/the-cryptid-factor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1O_KPHGors

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:mmmhmm:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I marathoned a bunch of episodes and it was cool swinging from UFOs and Bigfoots to "realer" subjects like tornado/storm chasers, tsunamis, and Bermuda Triangle pirates. That last episode features a young Carl Haase too.

I've been watching some of the more prosaic ones now too and they're especially fun when it's a subject I know something about, like tornadoes and hurricanes. Stuff that's an interesting snapshot of the time, but where I can recognize all the advances in scientific understanding 40+ years later.

And then you run into ones like Lost Vikings, which starts out already iffy and then spends its second half uncritically presenting a twist on the ancient aliens idea that's basically straight up positing that superior nordic genes and culture turned around a hapless indigenous population that they encountered, enabling them to do things like transport heavy rocks :ohno:

I guess what I'm saying is that In Search Of was a land of contrasts.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Greg of Doom posted:

The original report is in BUFORA Journal vol 6 no 5 1978.

Link to PDF
https://files.afu.se/Downloads/Maga...nFeb%201978.pdf

This thing is amazing and the perfect response to my request for silly cryptids.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a lovely Youtube fakumentary series about an old guy with a giant wizard beard wandering around idyllic forests performing "studies of an Etheriological nature" and trying to catch glimpses of the various species of pixies and goblins that live in the UK, pretty much David Attenborough meets Fraggle Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zshr9UcpHUA

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
We just started watching Skinwalker Ranch on hulu/history channel and lmao

Is it ghost? Is it ufos and aliens?? Is it radiation???!?

Who knows but it keeps "disrupting" our equipment and given Tom head pimples!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Skinwalker Ranch is hilarious because they'll find that something in the ground is emitting radiation and immediate jump to a segment discussing the possibility of underground alien UFO hangers and give at best a casual mention to like, uranium.

It does seem like there's something interesting going on there in a geological sense but man is that not the show to find it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/l_larousse/status/1504765196870594561?t=QG_fCCQqgwPAoc93L5m3XQ&s=19

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I need to know more. My current theory is that it descends from half-remembered legends of Garfield and his love for a specific Italian food

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Ah yes, Ragfeld, the not-at-all-lazy cat that strides about the moors, peeking in upon housewives, scaring them so they may drop their precious wedges of Parmesan, which he then scampers in through the window to fetch, giggling from his high face as he trots away with his prize. Legend says he was once yet a normal cat, fat and churlish, but was cursed by his owner, Odious Jon, for the mere act of licking the man's dearest cheeses. So now he just wanders eternally, yoinking the peoples' finest dairy delight, startling the missus in her hearth and caring not a lark about it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

Ah yes, Ragfeld, the not-at-all-lazy cat that strides about the moors, peeking in upon housewives, scaring them so they may drop their precious wedges of Parmesan, which he then scampers in through the window to fetch, giggling from his high face as he trots away with his prize. Legend says he was once yet a normal cat, fat and churlish, but was cursed by his owner, Odious Jon, for the mere act of licking the man's dearest cheeses. So now he just wanders eternally, yoinking the peoples' finest dairy delight, startling the missus in her hearth and caring not a lark about it.

I like it, and I believe in it now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Season 3 of 'Expedition Bigfoot' just started if people want to watch a serious scientific expedition to discover and document bigfoot idiots stumbling around in the woods at night saying "We're so close!! I just know it!"" over and over and hyperventilating every time they hear a twig snap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgga5-jG8fI

It's dumb as hell but they play it all off so seriously, bless their cotton socks

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I watched the first episode, they claimed they did an eDNA test from an east coast "nest site" from last season and it returned chimp DNA. Which would be interesting if true, but I don't trust anything they claim on that show since it seems so curated. The "nest site" was a really unstable-looking pile of branches leaned up against the fork of a tree. And they also find a obviously unnatural circle of sticks in the middle of a river that they claim is a fish trap Bigfoot learned to make by watching the local Native American tribes. Again, it would be really impressive if I thought they actually happened to just stumble across it.

At least Finding Bigfoot had the class to not actually find anything.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Season 3 of 'Expedition Bigfoot' just started if people want to watch a serious scientific expedition to discover and document bigfoot idiots stumbling around in the woods at night saying "We're so close!! I just know it!"" over and over and hyperventilating every time they hear a twig snap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgga5-jG8fI

It's dumb as hell but they play it all off so seriously, bless their cotton socks

Is that the show with the guy that would taste all the poop they found?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

twistedmentat posted:

Is that the show with the guy that would taste all the poop they found?

Naw that was 10 Million Dollar Bigfoot Bounty. Hosted by Dean Cain!!

Spoiler: They did not prove bigfoot's existence and none of the teams won the $10m prize

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Goatman sighting on Mumsnet: https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/4486761-What-did-we-see-last-night

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fortean Times still provides the goods.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Knormal posted:

I watched the first episode, they claimed they did an eDNA test from an east coast "nest site" from last season and it returned chimp DNA. Which would be interesting if true, but I don't trust anything they claim on that show since it seems so curated. The "nest site" was a really unstable-looking pile of branches leaned up against the fork of a tree. And they also find a obviously unnatural circle of sticks in the middle of a river that they claim is a fish trap Bigfoot learned to make by watching the local Native American tribes. Again, it would be really impressive if I thought they actually happened to just stumble across it.

At least Finding Bigfoot had the class to not actually find anything.
Yeah like it's entirely plausible that if some dude kept a couple of chimps and they escaped into the woods somewhere that didn't get too cold, they could survive.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Doctor posted:

Fortean Times still provides the goods.

Yeah this was discussed back on page 28 of this thread and we were a lot more skeptical about it than the good ol' FT :v:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Dunno that FT isn't being sceptical, it reads like their standard straightfaced reporting on what's in the news. Like X _said_ they saw a Bigfoot / UFO / ghost, here's what they said, here's the sources.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nonathlon posted:

Dunno that FT isn't being sceptical, it reads like their standard straightfaced reporting on what's in the news. Like X _said_ they saw a Bigfoot / UFO / ghost, here's what they said, here's the sources.

There's zero skepticism in the article. The only other theory they offer to explain the 'evidence' was "Maybe it was a different cryptid??"

Skepticism isn't about being straightfaced, it's raising questions against dodgy arguments

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Man, gently caress that article. I already found Bigfoot, he lives in south Texas (he moved from the Pacific Northwest due to all those dumb loving shows) and runs a fruteria/raspa (sno cone) stand. His partner is a tiger and they’re very much in

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Very much in love. The mystical nature of these photos are loving up the post but also he goes by Assquatch.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bulgaroctonus posted:

also he goes by Assquatch.

Dammit, I was just arriving at that myself :arghfist:

e: Bigtush :c00lbert:

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I’m sure he’d get a chuckle out of Bigtush as well, I’ll ask next time I’m in the area.
: )

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Very much in love. The mystical nature of these photos are loving up the post but also he goes by Assquatch.

Pick up a copy of Assquatch and its sequel Splashsquatch on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09JGP2P6C/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i9

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09SBLT66F?ref_=dbs_p_pwh_rwt_anx_cl_2&storeType=ebooks

edit:
i mean if your gonna pick up those to you might as well get "Are You There God? I Thought I Heard Cody Masturbating, But It Was Just My Grandma Stirring a Pot of Shells and Cheese"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09JMCC14P/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i5

Beer_Suitcase has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Mar 28, 2022

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpjPzlY7QT8

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Has anyone else heard of the idea of the Smiley Face killer(s)?

Basically its that a large number of young men were found dead in the vicinity of Smiley Face graffiti. These were all college aged, popular, athletic and white. They were all last seen leaving parties/bars and were drunk. Their bodies were found in water features in the general area. Because of this, some detectives in NYC figured this must be the work of either a wide ranging serial killer or maybe some network of killers who leave behind :) at their murder sites.

But anyone just looking at that evidence can see its almost certainly drunk college frat bro falls into a canal and drowns is the answer. But a lot of people seem to think this, why else would you see :) so often near were the bodies were found? Its not like its one of the most common symbols out there. Its not unlike how during the Satanic Panic people would say a death was the work of Satanists because "satanic" symbols were found nearby, pentagrams, swastikas, skulls, 666 and the words Slayer or Mettalica or White Snake. Clearly the work of Satanists. They totally made that runaway OD on heroin so they could give her soul to the dark lord!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
That gets bought up regularly on true crime boards, Reddit etc. Thankfully, and unusually for those places which aren't the most critical audiences, there's few true believers and it gets a lot of pushback. Like you say, young male colleague students, drunk and near cold water ... there's nothing that needs a serial killer to explain these.

A related one is a large number of cases that involve someone driving off and disappearing, possibly intoxicated, at night, in a remote area where there are difficult roads. Last few years a lot of cars have been found submerged in rivers, some by researchers who deliberately search for such lost vehicles. It's surprisingly easy for careless drivers to leave the road, end up in the water and just sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nonathlon posted:

A related one is a large number of cases that involve someone driving off and disappearing, possibly intoxicated, at night, in a remote area where there are difficult roads. Last few years a lot of cars have been found submerged in rivers, some by researchers who deliberately search for such lost vehicles. It's surprisingly easy for careless drivers to leave the road, end up in the water and just sink.

America is apparently littered with dead bodies in every nook and cranny. Recently when Gabby Petito's boyfriend murdered her and then went missing and had presumably killed himself out in the wilderness the police went searching for his body and turned up the corpses of ten other missing people before they found him.