Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sarasvati is a Megami so kinda more difficult to fuse. When I play an SMT game I jot down what combinations make more special Races. Nocturne of course doesn't have Search but even in the newer games I like doing it my way because fusion is all about experimenting and having fun. Automating it takes away all that. Finding out what makes what on my own is part of the thrill.

Dunno if you wanna avoid detailed help or gameplay advice, but your Chakra Drop situation is precisely why i always use Sarasvati here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

amigolupus posted:

Imagine doing all of Puzzle Boy to get the reward only to die from a stray Mudo cast by a Nue when you were just trying to get to the save point. :negative:

What do you mean, imagine? :negative:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Artelier posted:

What do you mean, imagine? :negative:

:smith: I am truly sorry for your lots

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i am almost positive a decade on YouTube has rotted what little brain cells i have left at this point. Apparently there's a YouTube kid's show with billions of views named Miraculous Ladybug that looks like... well.. How did they not get sued by atlus? For fucks sake the main bad just looks like Philemon going through a weird gap year

https://youtu.be/TdWk4abZKqI

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

i am almost positive a decade on YouTube has rotted what little brain cells i have left at this point. Apparently there's a YouTube kid's show with billions of views named Miraculous Ladybug that looks like... well.. How did they not get sued by atlus? For fucks sake the main bad just looks like Philemon going through a weird gap year

https://youtu.be/TdWk4abZKqI

Well, seeing as Miraculous Ladybug was conceived in its earliest form in 2005, and came out almost exactly a year before P5... (also it's not a Youtube show).

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

:psyduck:

Is this one of those "Persona 5 invented X" jokes from that time some people accused the TWEWY sequel of being a P5 ripoff?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I ran into Mara by accident. Unfortunately the team I had with me didn't quite have the strength to kill him in four turns, I don't know that I have a team capable of it at the moment. What's really annoying is that Mara isn't actually that big of a threat on offense so I was in a situation where I wasn't really able to purposely lose, but also couldn't win the fight.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's a superhero/magical girl show, the only connection it has to Persona 5 is someone... editing footage to the P5 opening, apparently.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Um...I'm seeing clips of this new Netflix show called Lupin The 3? And it's like....c'mon could you be stealing more from Persona 5?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Petiso posted:

:psyduck:

Is this one of those "Persona 5 invented X" jokes from that time some people accused the TWEWY sequel of being a P5 ripoff?

I'm pretty sure a good chunk of them aren't jokes, it's the videogame-slash-anime equivalent of that Boss Baby meme.

At least they could do it with JoJo, which is actually the original reference in most cases.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

At least they could do it with JoJo, which is actually the original reference in most cases.

One of the best parts of watching through JoJo for the first time now is recognizing the origins of things you're familiar with that came later. Personas, a bunch of Castlevania, a significant amount of Street Fighter characters, Persona 4's whole core plot, how the Pokemon anime styled battles...

The weirdest one might've been seeing someone just turn up with an Ace Attorney game mechanic.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Cleretic posted:

One of the best parts of watching through JoJo for the first time now is recognizing the origins of things you're familiar with that came later. Personas, a bunch of Castlevania, a significant amount of Street Fighter characters, Persona 4's whole core plot, how the Pokemon anime styled battles...

The weirdest one might've been seeing someone just turn up with an Ace Attorney game mechanic.

a similar thing happened to me when I watched the Berserk anime for the first time last year and instantly recognized Arngrim and Brahms from the Valkyrie Profile games, among other things

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh yeah, why is Analyze completely worthless in Nocturne? I was thinking about that because I got the Spyglass item, which said it shows an enemy's details and was reusable and I was like oh, sweet, this is probably actually going to be useful. Nope, completely worthless, just like Analyze. I find it hard to believe it's a bug in the HD Remaster because it feels like they would have patched it by now if it was, so why are Analyze/Spyglass useless? Just as a joke?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh yeah, why is Analyze completely worthless in Nocturne? I was thinking about that because I got the Spyglass item, which said it shows an enemy's details and was reusable and I was like oh, sweet, this is probably actually going to be useful. Nope, completely worthless, just like Analyze. I find it hard to believe it's a bug in the HD Remaster because it feels like they would have patched it by now if it was, so why are Analyze/Spyglass useless? Just as a joke?

You can sell the Spyglass for an easy 50,000 Macca (IIRC. I def remember it's a vey high amount) so it's useful in that regard. It's almost good Analyze sucks as it means you can confidently sell it without worrying you are giving up something you'll need.

As for why it sucks, I would imagine they just want to make life harder on us. A lot of bosses in RPGs are immune to Analyze or Scan or equivalents.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Wrex Ruckus posted:

a similar thing happened to me when I watched the Berserk anime for the first time last year and instantly recognized Arngrim and Brahms from the Valkyrie Profile games, among other things

This is one of my favorite things about old fiction, from literary classics to just plain old manga. If you haven't read or watched any of the Devilman adaptations yet, it is patient zero for a whole lot of things that would later inspire what SMT is today.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Did you know there is an anime called Phantom Thief Joker?? I hope Atlus sued for that.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Personally the Spyglass served me well in my first playthrough even if it only works on random mobs. When it has been a while since you last saved and you start encountering new demons it's very risky to just try random attacks on them, specially once demons that reflect/drain elements become more prevalent. Remember there was a time we didn't know these games' demons' affinities by heart.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How exactly do you find Special Fusion demons? I’ve only found two so far.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In what game

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

When someone brought up Miraculous Ladybug in this thread I was expecting someone to point out a voice actor joke or something , like "Oh wow Keith Silverstein sure sounds like Shido in this role" or whatever, not "Hawkmoth is a philemon ripoff" because...they both have a butterfly theme, I guess? They wear masks? You know, like supervillains do?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Petiso posted:

Personally the Spyglass served me well in my first playthrough even if it only works on random mobs.

I used it on random mobs and it told me nothing except the demon's name, everything else had a question mark. Maybe it only works if you're like 30 levels higher than the demon you're using it on, or something. Same thing with Analyze, I used it on one of those old lady demons in Ginza and it gave me zero information about her. Unless there's some trick to it, as far as I can tell Analyze/the Spyglass are utterly useless.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

In what game

SMT V

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

All special fusion demons are unlocked by either doing a quest, or by beating them in a boss fight (usually as part of a quest).

Do more quests.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That and i think maybe what they're asking is about seeing the whole stats and everything. What you need to do is get all the component demons. It won't tell you exactly what they are but it gives race and lvl so you can track them down, fuse them, or just use elementals to rank another of the race up or down

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I think there's also a couple that just unlock if you have the component demons. High Pixie is one of them iirc, you never fight or do a quest for her, you just unlock High Pixie once you've gotten Pixie and Angel in your compendium.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

After 70 hours I finally beat Shin Megami Tensei V.

I spent the last section of the game grinding for so long before completing it. Which is something I rarely do in RPGs but it was fine because I played the game while listening to podcasts or whatever.

While I disliked the game when first playing it, it gradually grew on me. The flow eventually set in. I was hesitant about the platformerization/open world design of the game but it made sense as time went on.

I also loved how Law, Neutral, and Chaos were all equally good choices (I went with Netural).

The difficulty is also perfect. "The Dark Souls of Persona" is apt and despite having more customization than ever the boss battles are still Shin Megami Tensei.

That said the game just wasn't as engaging as I hoped it would have been. There were plenty of sidequests but they were almost all completely forgettable. Each area was different than the last but outside of the fairy woods nothing was memorable. And I understand the world and plot are the least interesting of a Megaten game I've played. Also the fact that the game pulls a Cyberpunk 2077 by having the ending determined by one single choice right before the final area instead of it being a cumulation of choices you've made up until that point was very dumb.

Overall it was a good game but not up to the standards I was expecting. Maybe the series just isn't for me anymore.

SMTIV is still the best one.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 14, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

New Soul Hackers 2 trailer, also with closed captioning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBxHXf5OVA

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

jiminez is a real jerk of a boss in SJ Redux but i admit that i may be low level. my party is 65/63/59/64... so even using luster candy and undoing HIS luster candy with dekaja, his dark matter still wipes my demons all out in one turn (and he sure likes to spam it at low health!!), and then of course chaos tack kills the MC before i can revive and summon people back in

i don't wanna just summon password demons since i feel like that's cheating a lil bit... but i also feel like grinding is gonna take a while too. hummmmmmm i guess i could just focus on enemy search battles and maybe get some exp that way

or maybe there's some sidequests i should do to get better armor/weapons than what i got. i have tenma suit equipped because it's strong against gun. but of course nothing is strong against almighty -_-

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I used it on random mobs and it told me nothing except the demon's name, everything else had a question mark. Maybe it only works if you're like 30 levels higher than the demon you're using it on, or something. Same thing with Analyze, I used it on one of those old lady demons in Ginza and it gave me zero information about her. Unless there's some trick to it, as far as I can tell Analyze/the Spyglass are utterly useless.

That definitely shouldn't be the case, are you sure it wasn't an event battle?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Arist posted:

New Soul Hackers 2 trailer, also with closed captioning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBxHXf5OVA

I like that demons are showing up in cutscenes and I hope there's a lot of like, demons actually interacting with characters and each other.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Petiso posted:

That definitely shouldn't be the case, are you sure it wasn't an event battle?

It definitely wasn't, because when I got it and looked at what it does, I went "Oh sweet maybe it won't be useless like Analyze is," and used it on the very first random battle I got into when I was heading back up to the top of the Obelisk. Then I went "Oh okay it's exactly as useless" and now I've sold it for the sweet cash.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The only thing "useless" about it is that it doesn't tell you what skills do if you don't already know. Everything else is very clear cut

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Considering that all the Spyglass showed me is the demon's name and had question marks for everything else, I would call that useless, since I already can see the demon's name just by targeting them. Unless the number of question marks somehow gives you information in some arcane way.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i didn't realize the dragon armor in SJR is so easy to get lol. there's just a sidequest where you talk to fafnir and go "hey can i have part of your body" and you just get to choose whether you want a sword or armor

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Apparently there are other fiends I don't know about, I beat Pale Rider and thought that'd be enough to get me to the fourth kalpa, with Mother Harlot/Trumpeter being required to reach the fifth, but I still need two more to reach the fourth, and they're it, so there must be more for the fifth.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

Apparently there are other fiends I don't know about, I beat Pale Rider and thought that'd be enough to get me to the fourth kalpa, with Mother Harlot/Trumpeter being required to reach the fifth, but I still need two more to reach the fourth, and they're it, so there must be more for the fifth.

There's no more fiends but remember the Demi-fiend also has a menorah that you haven't used yet.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nirvikalpa fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 16, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ulio posted:

Got the castle in SMTV, finally a different looking dungeon. The decayed Tokyo open world became stale real quick. This game's OST is so loving good btw. People never shut up about Persona 5s ost but this is as good imo and lots of different styles of sounds.

Ok the castle area was definitely not fun after the first section. Its super samey, easy to get lost in and has stupid wind traps. The theme there is still good but really annoying area all in all.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Should’ve been more annoying imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have reached mem aleph in strange journey redux. my good times have come to an end. this boss bad