Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I was prepared to poo poo on that BMW weapons mount but that’s some pretty quality fab work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The 10k contribution isn't really the purchasing of the senator though. That's like, just the security deposit. Then there's all the grift gigs you give them that's the real payout.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
These offers are insulting.

Like, when Musk offered that kid five thousand dollars to stop tracking his private jet, as a proportion of his wealth, that’s like a millionaire offering two and a half cents.

The price ought to be a nontrivial fraction of the buying party’s resources. If you are a nation‐state, I want to see nation‐state money. :colbert:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

A.o.D. posted:

The price of a US Senator can be as low as 10,000 USD. People who are inclined to sell their loyalties can be had for cheap. Sometimes as cheap as naked insincere flattery.

its not the campaign donations. its the charitable contributions to the foundation that their child runs. or the board seats for family members who couldn't run a hot dog stand(Hunter Biden). or just outright trading on the family name for decades(Frank Biden). or just renting entire hotels with the family name on them(Trump).

only dipshits let themselves outright take cash now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

These offers are insulting.

Like, when Musk offered that kid five thousand dollars to stop tracking his private jet, as a proportion of his wealth, that’s like a millionaire offering two and a half cents.

The price ought to be a nontrivial fraction of the buying party’s resources. If you are a nation‐state, I want to see nation‐state money. :colbert:

OK, but they're gonna have to pay in roubles...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

psydude posted:

OK, but they're gonna have to pay in roubles...

Pepsico has a better idea.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A.o.D. posted:

The price of a US Senator can be as low as 10,000 USD. People who are inclined to sell their loyalties can be had for cheap. Sometimes as cheap as naked insincere flattery.

Selling out for compliments is technically not illegal right?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Seeing some more modern kit get captured now
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1503410766992625670?t=NBRzUbkfgziWTlmIRIwKDQ&s=19

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

A.o.D. posted:

I can't remember the title of the movie, but there was a quote of "no one buys Senators anymore, we're far cheaper to lease."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Tomn posted:

I imagine the bigger issue is that Ukraine was constantly aware that they were in a state of permanent existential threat due to a much larger, hostile neighbor. Under those circumstances I can see a lot of "OK, sure, corruption, but not HERE you dipshits you wanna get us all killed?"

Edit: Like, Putin can afford a heavily corrupt and ineffective army if he's expecting to only ever use it on much weaker opponents and he's more worried about the army potentially running a coup on him. Ukraine NEEDS an effective army or they're totally hosed, and their performance in 2014 is basically all the proof and incentive they need to keep kicking their own asses.

Yeah there apparently was legitimate buy-in from Ukrainians in charge from quite early on and it's pretty much been rebuilt and trained to at least the standard of most NATO militaries (and given who was doing the training, likely more on the US end of that than some of the more laxadaisical NATO members). Ukraine also apparently uses basically US-style inventory control which appears to be very, very good at making sure that when you open a warehouse, the stuff you need will not have just been sold off because some colonel wanted a new coat for his mistress or whatever.

Xakura posted:

He's not joking about it being 8 years old. It was largely broken in 2014, and has been a NATO/US rebuilding project since.

yeah estimates were that ukraine had ~5000 combat ready troops in 2014

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
US forces were training Ukrainian military in Lviv as recently as 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wickerman posted:

They also massively increased their military since 2014.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

I also saw 'emotional support armor' in twitter, but it didn't catch.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Thats an expensive little toy they just bagged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2S1_Gvozdika

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Wickerman posted:

They've also been pretty "See that move? I taught him that."

https://twitter.com/1st_SF_Command/status/1496876232490860547

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Wickerman posted:

They only officially pulled trainers out in january or feb of this year afaik?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah, they were training the UA up until a few weeks before the start of hostilities.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GD_American posted:

What's the current assessment of the Russian nuclear stockpile? Has it degraded enough to the point that idiots might try to resurrect the early Cold War belief in US survivability?

I would put my life savings on Russian Launch-Under-Attack C&C being absolutely worthless, to the point where a first strike would wipe out enough of their nuclear arms that they'd barely be able to eke out a retaliation.

I say this because I'm half serious and if I'm wrong the money is worth nothing in Armageddon anyway

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I wasn't sure how recently they had still been there, so I went with what I knew for sure

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

davecrazy posted:

How good is the money to be that transparently a sell out to a foreign government.

Had a FBI dude come and talk to our infosec class about insider threats where foreign countries go and recruit college kids who had potential futures in State Department or various companies that they'd love to get hands on IP for. He said the majority of cases he worked on the cost to the government in question was basically tuition at a state school and some extra money for living expenses.

I wonder if anyone has ever connected the dots of "putting a generation in crippling debt" and "people willing to sell out their own country"

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
If they keep making school more expensive then foreign entities will not be able to afford to influence the students.

Student debt is very patriotic you see.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Defenestrategy posted:

Had a FBI dude come and talk to our infosec class about insider threats where foreign countries go and recruit college kids who had potential futures in State Department or various companies that they'd love to get hands on IP for. He said the majority of cases he worked on the cost to the government in question was basically tuition at a state school and some extra money for living expenses.

I wonder if anyone has ever connected the dots of "putting a generation in crippling debt" and "people willing to sell out their own country"

Oh yeah it is baffling how little it costs (especially in a nation state's budget) sometimes for successful espionage. FBI agent Robert Hanssen only got $1.4 million in cash over a 22-year period from the Soviets/later Russians, and the CIA's Aldrich Ames' massive debts were a big motivation for his decision to start spying. Ames got $4.6 million for revealing info that got many people killed.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I'm just gonna leave this here:

https://pixelforest.itch.io/farmers-stealing-tanks

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Thats just wrong

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Germans salivating for Tractor Simulator: Ukraine

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Wickerman posted:

I wasn't sure how recently they had still been there, so I went with what I knew for sure

That's not very internet of you to just post only up to what you know and entirely skip just silently switching into fully unfounded extrapolation and guesses

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Am I behind? or just getting behind the weeds a little?

Remember when Trump had the Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovich fired for some bullshit reason? Pepperidge farm remembers.
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/25/799611011/take-her-out-in-new-recording-trump-heard-discussing-firing-ambassador-to-ukrain

If I recall, she was doing great things for Ukraine, including rooting out corruption, when she ran afoul of Trump's handlers. I swear I'm starting to think all this Ukraine poo poo was part of a larger plan effectively thwarted by the piss baby's defeat and subsequent national temper tantrum. As if Russian billionaires and by extension pootie poo wanted her out of the way so they called in a favor.

I wonder how many more "favors" are we about to find as a result of this shitstorm.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Selling out for compliments is technically not illegal right?

If an actual war happens, yes, otherwise probably not, but there may be exceptions?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Farking Bastage posted:

Am I behind? or just getting behind the weeds a little?

Remember when Trump had the Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovich fired for some bullshit reason? Pepperidge farm remembers.
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/25/799611011/take-her-out-in-new-recording-trump-heard-discussing-firing-ambassador-to-ukrain

If I recall, she was doing great things for Ukraine, including rooting out corruption, when she ran afoul of Trump's handlers. I swear I'm starting to think all this Ukraine poo poo was part of a larger plan effectively thwarted by the piss baby's defeat and subsequent national temper tantrum. As if Russian billionaires and by extension pootie poo wanted her out of the way so they called in a favor.

I wonder how many more "favors" are we about to find as a result of this shitstorm.

Literally the very first thing Trump did as the Republican nominee was to remove support for Ukraine from the republican party platform.

Trump's denial of Javelin launchers to Ukraine armed forces was the centerpiece of the impeachment fight.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

They've also been pretty "See that move? I taught him that."

https://twitter.com/1st_SF_Command/status/1496876232490860547

I know that says irregular force, but haven't the Ukrainians been operating fairly effectively as a conventional force?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Literally the very first thing Trump did as the Republican nominee was to remove support for Ukraine from the republican party platform.

Trump's denial of Javelin launchers to Ukraine armed forces was the centerpiece of the impeachment fight.

Don't forget that traitorous rapist was trying to make a case for exiting NATO.

Edit: if I seem a bit over the top, please understand that I have a deep seated need to spit venom at that worm.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
And on top of that he killed the loving Kurds in Syria like that too.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I knew it was obvious, but I didn't realise it was that blatant.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

His candidacy was terrifying.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

I would put my life savings on Russian Launch-Under-Attack C&C being absolutely worthless, to the point where a first strike would wipe out enough of their nuclear arms that they'd barely be able to eke out a retaliation.

I say this because I'm half serious and if I'm wrong the money is worth nothing in Armageddon anyway

Isn't that the point of a triad, though? Or is the assumption sub based weapons don't work either?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It even got called out at the time!

What I don't understand is why Putin waited so long for the invasion. I think maybe he didn't believe Trump could lose and was hoping the us would leave NATO in his second term.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What I don't understand is why Putin waited so long for the invasion. I think maybe he didn't believe Trump could lose and was hoping the us would leave NATO in his second term.

I suspect it's this. NATO and the US in too much chaos to care.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It even got called out at the time!

Why risk uniting the US against Russia when the country was doing a fine job of tearing itself apart as it was? Better to wait and see if the election goes your way, and if it does you're golden, if it doesn't you just go ahead with what you were going to do.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Oh good lord, if you manage to knock out a tank by slamming it with a towed tank, when you come back later there'll be a field of sunflowers where the destroyed tank was.

That's an eye to detail there.

They actually can run out after moving around too much!
vvv

Tomn fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 14, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The most unrealistic part of this game is that there's some tanks that are actively moving and have fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT