Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Lol just clowned on Mohg, Lord of Blood and killed him before he could even get to his 2nd phase.

On that note, is there any way to actually avoid getting a ring around you that causes him to drain blood from you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

thehoodie posted:

Lol just clowned on Mohg, Lord of Blood and killed him before he could even get to his 2nd phase.

On that note, is there any way to actually avoid getting a ring around you that causes him to drain blood from you?

Not that I'm aware of, which makes me feel like doing a hitless all remembrances run may be genuinely impossible outside of the glitch that lets you get in there without activating his AI so you just get a free kill (although Mogh is 100% optional so doing people would probably just do hitless any% and skip him entirely).

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Professor Beetus posted:

Man is the capitol supposed to be this much easier than Caelid? I'm in my 70s and have +15 weapons and poo poo in Caelid still takes way too many hits and deals way too much damage. Pure STR build with 40 STR and roughly 35 each END and VIG.

It's worth noting that if you follow what Gideon tells you the capitol is likely your third area after Limgrave and Liurnia.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

thehoodie posted:

there's a flask drop you can get if you helped a previous npc in a fight and then went to a different chapel later on where you meet them again that removes the curse.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Out of curiosity, did anyone else start as a warrior for the sick blue armor set?

That was my second character.

I already want to start a 3rd because now sword and shield sounds cool.

But so do incantations.

And so does arcane...

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Martian Manfucker posted:

Invasions are rough right now. I never ran into this many gank squads in all of my Dark Souls PVP. Just a host and his 2 pals camped out at a grace while they wait for a bluecop. And they're all using either Erdtree Shield spam, rotten breath, Vyke's spear, or some form of bleed buildup. Thankfully they're all at 15 vigor and making people insane with fire lasers from my eyes is still fun or I would have given up awhile ago.

Yeah, I don't wanna whine but pvp is pretty bad. The best thing to do is use the tongue and the hunter ring and let people come to you.

Still get some of the insta-kill/proc stuff but less gimmicky.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tibalt posted:

Well, I haven't quite put it all together, but Dung Eater seems to be an Omen, people who are 'cursed' with a mutation that causes them to sprout horns all over their body. As a result they're persecuted and hunted, which is why he's so loving edgy. However, the Omen mutation doesn't seem to be innately bad, as some items related to the Ancestral Spirit worshipers and the Crucible imply that Omens were once worshipped and that they have some sort connection to primordial life/the Crucible. Since the Greater Will doesn't seem to be entirely benevolent and the Omens might be a way to transcend it without attaching yourself to another Star being... it might actually be a good ending, it's just Dung Eater is an off-putting radical.

The Dung Eater is not an Omen, but he dresses up like one because he's super hosed up and society treats Omens like they're super hosed up so he feels like he has the soul of an Omen without the body of one.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

MasterBuilder posted:

A lot of people are still salty about dark souls 1 invasions, me being one of them. I just want to be human long enough to get solaire so I have company when I get perforated and smashed by o&s.

Ah, for the days of O&S. Easy peasy compared to a lot of poo poo in this game. Though ultimately preparation is the ultimate strategy to either.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I like being able to buy my way up to +24/+9 weapons. I have tons of them now just to gently caress around with, seeing what I like better.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Professor Beetus posted:

Man is the capitol supposed to be this much easier than Caelid? I'm in my 70s and have +15 weapons and poo poo in Caelid still takes way too many hits and deals way too much damage. Pure STR build with 40 STR and roughly 35 each END and VIG.

A thing that's a bit unintuitive about Caelid is the southern part is a lot easier than the northern part, but the line that separates them isn't straight. It's two different map parts so it's fairly easy to tell by looking at where the dividing line is when you only have one of them, but if you're just wandering around it's easy to accidentally head over to the harder area just by following the roads.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Office Pig posted:

I guess you could say that overall, but have you been to the sewers yet? You should go there. It'll be fun.

I tried to find them but I basically circled the capitol looking for tunnels and none of the stuff I found led into the sewers. So instead I strolled through the front doors and started loving poo poo up.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A thing that's a bit unintuitive about Caelid is the southern part is a lot easier than the northern part, but the line that separates them isn't straight. It's two different map parts so it's fairly easy to tell by looking at where the dividing line is when you only have one of them, but if you're just wandering around it's easy to accidentally head over to the harder area just by following the roads.

lmao this owns because I've been pretty much exclusively loving with the northern part since either way I've gone into Caelid has been from the north, Limgrave or Bestial Sanctum.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tibalt posted:

Well, I haven't quite put it all together, but Dung Eater seems to be an Omen, people who are 'cursed' with a mutation that causes them to sprout horns all over their body. As a result they're persecuted and hunted, which is why he's so loving edgy. However, the Omen mutation doesn't seem to be innately bad, as some items related to the Ancestral Spirit worshipers and the Crucible imply that Omens were once worshipped and that they have some sort connection to primordial life/the Crucible. Since the Greater Will doesn't seem to be entirely benevolent and the Omens might be a way to transcend it without attaching yourself to another Star being... it might actually be a good ending, it's just Dung Eater is an off-putting radical.

No.

He is wearing armor stylized to evoke the aesthetic of an Omen but he is not an Omen himself. He is doing so purely because he associates them with defilement/debasement and revelling in misery/The Curse/debasement is his entire shtick.

He does not care one iota for the Crucible adjacency of Omens, nor does his ending have anything to do with that aspect.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dung eater is an omen otherkin

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the armor is his dungsona

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I tried some pvp in ng+, and it seemed like it would be pretty fun except everyone was incredibly laggy, to the point where attacks would just pass harmlessly through them because of (i assume) dodge iframes before the animation even starts on my screen

Is there something I can do to reduce ping disparity with other players, or is this just part and parcel of the souls multiplayer experience

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Professor Beetus posted:

lmao this owns because I've been pretty much exclusively loving with the northern part since either way I've gone into Caelid has been from the north, Limgrave or Bestial Sanctum.

That's the north-south line not being horizontal though. The entry from Limgrave is the south section. Bestial Sanctum is north section. The separation between the two is pretty clear imho, it's the town of Sellia, and it requires deliberate effort to go past it. It's quicker to unlock the north section with the free teleporter to the Bestial Sanctum

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Wow Leyndell is a loving labyrinth. I’m not at all confident I’ve explored all of the upper city but I have to move on to the big boulevard or I will lose my mind ending up in the same alley dead ends.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Char posted:

How come you're finishing the game at 90 hours, I'm 90 hours in and I just met the Full Grown Fallingstar Beast :allears:

lmao, I'm 90 hours in and just made it to Altus plateau, I am apparently the slowest Elden Ring player in existence.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

I tried some pvp in ng+, and it seemed like it would be pretty fun except everyone was incredibly laggy, to the point where attacks would just pass harmlessly through them because of (i assume) dodge iframes before the animation even starts on my screen

Is there something I can do to reduce ping disparity with other players, or is this just part and parcel of the souls multiplayer experience

This is my first souls game on the PC and I'm amazed that the freakin' lag issues are identical to playing it on the console somehow.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Draga posted:

That depends.

How much do you like Prawn Bro?

Not much

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
This boss in the sewers is loving me up and there's no one to summon woe is me.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Eggnogium posted:

Wow Leyndell is a loving labyrinth. I’m not at all confident I’ve explored all of the upper city but I have to move on to the big boulevard or I will lose my mind ending up in the same alley dead ends.

Yeah I'm still confused that place is wild.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Professor Beetus posted:

I tried to find them but I basically circled the capitol looking for tunnels and none of the stuff I found led into the sewers. So instead I strolled through the front doors and started loving poo poo up.

The sewer entrance is hard to find. I love the capital as a zone, but I feel pretty strongly that it doesn’t direct the player too well. I cleared up to the surface all the way up to the throne and explored a lot on the way, and still had no clue where either the sewer or the east exit was supposed to be. If you want to know exactly where to look for the sewer there’s a ladder going down a well in a dark corner in the area a bit below Avenue Balcony grace

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Apparently I need to go smack an invisible wall to go even deeper into lindale.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
deep elden ring lore

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I'm still terrible at this game, but I'm having a lot of fun. It seems to scratch an itch in a way I haven't experienced since Fallout: New Vegas, where I can just pick a direction and find crazy stuff. Yesterday, I went looking for a golden seed, but took a wrong turn and stumbled across rats with crazy glowing eyes. I decided to keep going, maybe the crazy glowing rats have grazy glowing loot? Turns out they did - The Flame of Frenzy. Now, when I farm the troll near the first church, he goes down in only 3-4 shots. Good stuff.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Bob Socko posted:

Yesterday, I went looking for a golden seed, but took a wrong turn and stumbled across rats with crazy glowing eyes. I decided to keep going, maybe the crazy glowing rats have grazy glowing loot? Turns out they did - The Flame of Frenzy.

It took me way too long to figure out wtf was going on at that area.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Having now finished Elden Ring I have to ask: How the gently caress are you intended to fight the shrieking arm centipede rear end in a top hat guys that teleport all over the place even though they don't need to because they can cover 100 yards in about a tenth of a second

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I just can't get any traction with Radahn, this guy is beating my rear end.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chillgamesh posted:

Having now finished Elden Ring I have to ask: How the gently caress are you intended to fight the shrieking arm centipede rear end in a top hat guys that teleport all over the place even though they don't need to because they can cover 100 yards in about a tenth of a second

You don't. gently caress them. I hate their goddamn guts.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chillgamesh posted:

My strategy on them was to just spam moonveil L2+R2 on them and hope for the best.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

skasion posted:

The sewer entrance is hard to find. I love the capital as a zone, but I feel pretty strongly that it doesn’t direct the player too well. I cleared up to the surface all the way up to the throne and explored a lot on the way, and still had no clue where either the sewer or the east exit was supposed to be. If you want to know exactly where to look for the sewer there’s a ladder going down a well in a dark corner in the area a bit below Avenue Balcony grace

The game is regularly insanely weird about it's level design language, there's quite a few places where the way forward is some kinda out-of-the-way little awkwardly shaped ledge where you then jump to another thin, steep ledge that in any other game would be shaped that way to discourage you from going there.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Blue Raider posted:

I just can't get any traction with Radahn, this guy is beating my rear end.

Ended up beating him after summoning someone that didn't just die immediately. Splitting his aggro is essential.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

My strategy on them was to just spam moonveil L2+R2 on them and hope for the best.

Whenever I can, summoning ashes to split the attention. Otherwise running as fast as I can around them

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Tumble posted:

The game is regularly insanely weird about it's level design language, there's quite a few places where the way forward is some kinda out-of-the-way little awkwardly shaped ledge where you then jump to another thin, steep ledge that in any other game would be shaped that way to discourage you from going there.

Mt. Gelmir 100%

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I ended up beating Radahn by getting a lucky stagger right at the point he would enter phase 2, which the AI doesn't seem to have any contingencies for so he just stayed in phase 1 for the entire fight

A wins a win :colbert:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I was running around in the Capitol courtyard area and came across some kind of little guy that transformed into a Margit, a bird warrior thing and another ulcerated tree worm. Lots going on out there. I must have just screamed and ran through there many hours ago, because I even missed a grace.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Stomp them with the heaviest, staggeriest thing you have as they are bubbling up out of the ground. Do not let up until they are dead. Do not let them start their bullshit at all. That's the only strat that worked for me really.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

I ended up beating Radahn by getting a lucky stagger right at the point he would enter phase 2, which the AI doesn't seem to have any contingencies for so he just stayed in phase 1 for the entire fight

A wins a win :colbert:

I think this might have happened to me on Placidusax. Somehow I broke his AI at some point in the fight and he literally just stopped doing anything and stood there for the last 40% of his health bar or so, right around when he would have done his big death lasers attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Chillgamesh posted:

Mimic -> Torrent -> legs, in order of preference/availability. They're just the worst (though birds aren't that far off). Their teleport also does verticality, I tried shooting one down from a cav upper area and it just aggroed and teleported behind me on my floor...

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this might have happened to me on Placidusax. Somehow I broke his AI at some point in the fight and he literally just stopped doing anything and stood there for the last 40% of his health bar or so, right around when he would have done his big death lasers attack.

I also had Placidusax AI die on me, and saw others mention it. Also a message on the floor after killing it, was "Behold, out of stamina", which suggests it's a pretty common issue with the poor fella. Way to ruin an otherwise super scenic fight.