Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

American McGay posted:

This was me with Weeping Peninsula lol. I was avoiding doing a story boss and decided to meander back down there to clean some stuff up and I ended up finding like 4 big things I missed my first time through, and I thought I was being super thorough before.

there are like 10 essential key items within 300yards of the start. its just hitting you over the head saying "Explore everything. if you miss the thing that finally lets you rework weapons to deal magic damage that is your fault"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

man i'm so fuckin pumped to route out some second runs once i'm done with my first lol. i probably wont get back to the game for a while after i'm done but 1) thats fine because my idiot swiss cheese brain will dissolve a bunch of stuff back into aether and 2) that gives them some time to get arcane workin before i do that run

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Yeah just beat the game and it’s greatest game of all time BUT it feels like they put in a lot of broken stuff like summons some of the weapon arts etc and then balanced the end game around you having and using broken stuff. Some parts and bosses if you try to advance through normally then it’s supremely difficult but then if you use the broken stuff it can become trivially easy. I experimented a little and tried doing some of the end bosses without summoning or spells and just good ol rolling blocking and sword attacks andcould clear this way but was really hard like the hardest game ever made on earth, then used ai summons and beat ‘em on first try and it was trivial. The endgame and bosses are tuned to account for you being op it seems but then despite that they still can’t quite deal with you being op especially with the summons. Like the enemy ai still can’t quite deal with having two or more targets to worry about so the summons can just trivialize everything.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i probably wont get back to the game for a while after i'm done

I thought this would be me and then I made a new character immediately

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

I'm using the stomp in conjunction with a fire weapon in order to constantly reapply frostbite. At least until I grind up enough runes to upgrade some more weapons.

I wanna go back to this: can you get enemies off frostbite cooldown by hitting them with fire, so you can then apply it again?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

American McGay posted:

This was me with Weeping Peninsula lol. I was avoiding doing a story boss and decided to meander back down there to clean some stuff up and I ended up finding like 4 big things I missed my first time through, and I thought I was being super thorough before.

lmao same.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i dont find myself getting overwhelmed or frustrated like i do with other open world games either... elden ring just gives me a direction to go while encouraging me to explore as much as possible instead of dumping hundreds of lovely quests on me right at the start and thats just good game design imo

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

apropos to nothing posted:

Yeah just beat the game and it’s greatest game of all time BUT it feels like they put in a lot of broken stuff like summons some of the weapon arts etc and then balanced the end game around you having and using broken stuff. Some parts and bosses if you try to advance through normally then it’s supremely difficult but then if you use the broken stuff it can become trivially easy. I experimented a little and tried doing some of the end bosses without summoning or spells and just good ol rolling blocking and sword attacks andcould clear this way but was really hard like the hardest game ever made on earth, then used ai summons and beat ‘em on first try and it was trivial. The endgame and bosses are tuned to account for you being op it seems but then despite that they still can’t quite deal with you being op especially with the summons. Like the enemy ai still can’t quite deal with having two or more targets to worry about so the summons can just trivialize everything.

Yeah I have no idea how you could beat the final heligtree boss without a summon to take the heat off you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sourdough posted:

Yeah I have no idea how you could beat the final heligtree boss without a summon to take the heat off you

It's possible but it takes a shitload of practice. It helps that she can be parried

that said I used a summon and felt mildly ashamed because I ran out of patience

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

It's possible but it takes a shitload of practice. It helps that she can be parried

that said I used a summon and felt mildly ashamed because I ran out of patience

Huh I tried that on Margit a few times and it seemed not worth the risk, then I forgot that it existed because of other mechanics lol. But yeah, I tried a couple times, then like 10 times with summon +10, then respec'd and changed my whole setup + used the summon and got her first try after that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the summons and some of the spells/ashes are definitely there to help out if youre feeling impatient.

i dont really have a problem with them because every souls game has some OP poo poo in them and you could always summon phantoms to trivialize any segment of the game. at least your npc phantoms require some heavy investment and exploration to be useful, stronger enemies will still crush them in moments like a bad player phantom immediately dying lol, and every boss has big wide attacks to deal with groups.

but hoarfrost and maybe some other arts specifically just feel plain loving busted and like nothing is balanced around it lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i tried using the mimic tear on malenia and never made it to the second phase because she would just heal herself back to full brutalizing it lol

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If I'm not feeling like advancing the story I look for any large areas on the map where there's not a warp spot and inevitably find some cool poo poo in that area. I'm at like 175 hours so will probably try to get near the endgame within the next few days. I can't even imagine how much stuff I've missed regardless

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh yeah I have zero problem with spirit summons being in the game, I think they're a good and really fun inclusion. Same for the really strong and flashy weapon arts, those add to the "mythic" feel by endgame I think. Maybe my only problem with mimic tear is that it's so good that people don't play around with the other summons as much. There are a lot of good and cool ones.

scary ghost dog posted:

i tried using the mimic tear on malenia and never made it to the second phase because she would just heal herself back to full brutalizing it lol

Yeah if you use a summon there the boss turns into a damage race. You have to be super aggressive and stay on her to make sure you can outdamage the healing. Having longer-range arts like Blasphemous Blade or Hoarfrost Stomp makes it a lot easier to keep the pressure on

But yeah she's about the one boss in the game who actually can stand up to you using a spirit summon.

extremebuff posted:

but hoarfrost and maybe some other arts specifically just feel plain loving busted and like nothing is balanced around it lol

I'm sure they're gonna nerf some stuff eventually but I just hope they don't nerf Moonveil too badly. Being an iaijutsu wizard samurai is a fun playstyle and it'd be cool if it stayed viable instead of going the way of miracles in DS2

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the spirit ashes are a good addition imo. it owns having back up for those sections with a lot of enemies without having to rely on a player summon for help and you get a lot of options to choose from to... some are pretty overpowered though and it feels like too many of the later bosses are balanced around having a summon out instead of focusing on blocking and rolling and learning the bosses pattern.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah mimic tear is crazy busted and i dont think i'll use it lol. way more fun to drop lutenna or this new badass guy i got from sainted hero's grave

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i dont find myself getting overwhelmed or frustrated like i do with other open world games either... elden ring just gives me a direction to go while encouraging me to explore as much as possible instead of dumping hundreds of lovely quests on me right at the start and thats just good game design imo

Definitely, the only other open world game that gave me the same feel is BotW

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Definitely, the only other open world game that gave me the same feel is BotW

Yep, this and BotW are the only open world games I've ever played where I feel like I'm actually exploring and not just completing a checklist. Both games give me that "I want to just go in a direction and see what I can find" feeling

funny that both Horizon games released like a week before genre-redefining open world games, five years apart

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Fungah! posted:

yeah mimic tear is crazy busted and i dont think i'll use it lol. way more fun to drop lutenna or this new badass guy i got from sainted hero's grave

Yup. The one good thing from it is that now neither myself nor my mimic will be virgins.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh also another weapon art that makes endgame bosses a lot easier is Bloodhound Step, which basically gives you a better version of the Bloodborne dodge with a ton of movement and extra iframes. Not as flashy as the offensive weapon arts but it lets you dance around some of the bosses really well

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yep, this and BotW are the only open world games I've ever played where I feel like I'm actually exploring and not just completing a checklist. Both games give me that "I want to just go in a direction and see what I can find" feeling

funny that both Horizon games released like a week before genre-redefining open world games, five years apart

the new horizon makes you pick up every item with an animation that locks you in place and its like they refused to learn anything about gameplay in those 5 years

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive been using the Marionette Ashes recently and theyve been machine-gunning any boss that doesnt immediately delete them with AOE. Latenna wishes she was as useful

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Only summon I've ever used is the fanged imps because those are the ones I started with and I don't really get to try any of the cool weapon arts because I'm picky about my weapon choice and usually just use something boring.

I have been trying a lot of different incantations and they seem cool but I haven't really come across anything broken yet.

One cool one is basically a sniper rifle of fire that shoots out of your eyes. It has insanely long range and a sick animation, but it's too slow and weak to really be useful against bosses.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Sounds fail, but is it a ton harder than doing Radahn without summons/weapon arts/anything other than rolling+hitting him? I thought that was one of the hardest soulsbornes bits, but also doable ina fair way rather than bs.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i thougjt a lot of the really strong unique weapons would get outclassed in the late game kinda like the drake sword in dks1 but sounds like a no lol. fine with me, i don’t mind some broken poo poo in the game. throws another bone to the dipshits who think the games impossible. there’s your easy mode :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the unique weapons are really really good this time around, it's fun

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

def as you get stronger and more AOE stuff running into huge packs of enemies out in the field, the game becomes a musuo. charged attack shooting up a dozen soldiers in the air like youre Guts himself and then blowing everyone up with some anime bullshit owns

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i will only use a summon ash if it's a 2v1 fight and I get really annoyed. I'm still super proud that I did a very difficult optional 2v1 fight by myself by just getting good

but a lot of attempts were like this:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I wasn't talking about Larry I was just talking in general.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I stopped leveling at 150 near the endgame and I'm still getting crazy amounts of souls. The temptation to over level is strong...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did you find summons or ashes were necessary or intended before that point?

Grandmother of Five posted:

Sounds fail, but is it a ton harder than doing Radahn without summons/weapon arts/anything other than rolling+hitting him? I thought that was one of the hardest soulsbornes bits, but also doable ina fair way rather than bs.

this basically

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Grandmother of Five posted:

i didnt do radahn solo i summoned the boys, but my guess would be its prolly similar just based on the couple times I tried him without the summons and he was a mad lad. theyre fair, but they all just have way more possible movesets than previous souls bosses and felt like timing had to be super tight. basically felt like sekiro dialed up to 11. insane people like you will absolutely love it imo. the only part that was actual such bs that i just loled and praised based miyazaki was the haligtree when you get past the ballistas and theres a tree protector and 2 beefy knights lol. seems like they expect you to just run through to the grace and bait out the tree cause thats what i did and saw a ton of phantoms around me at the same time lol but just felt cheap like the game was cheap for putting that much poo poo there and I was cheap for cheesing it like that

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

Did you find summons or ashes were necessary or intended before that point?

this basically

I think its more just that the summons scale way more than they should. at start of game I did bosses with and without and like the wolves would buy a bit of time to heal or get some damage but they got smoked quick so they were just another tool to use. later if you upgrade em you can just watch some of em solo bosses without you

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I did faith/str and twas awesome. now gonna do an int/dex run and try out the busted katana that everyones using. will play this game for the next decade if im allowed to

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I love the 5 shield guys. They’re kinda wimps but the shields work and having a bunch of em changes encounters a lot. Mimic tear is a little too capable in every way, durable and does damage. It’s just too much imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The endgame in Elden Ring is much harder if you play pure melee/no spells or weapon arts or summons than any other previous Souls game, not just the bosses but also the levels have some insane enemy packs and mini bosses. But if you do use the really powerful spells/skills and use spirit summons then it gets a lot easier, maybe too easy in the case of bosses. The balance is a little weird there at endgame but in a way where it's pretty fun fighting three really powerful enemies at once using flashy anime abilities so I'm fine with it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

str faith is absolutely badass and if theyll let me i'm gonna use the magma wyrm scalesword in every game until the end of time

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i cant wait for the day a gamer beats the entirety of elden at SL1 using fists only....

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

broke: giant dumb icy thorn clouds like brr, put on a coat
woke: turnin some motherfucker into a volcano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Preceptor Miriam