Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ya, its weird since its behind a tech that says it only gives vanguard to the flesh hounds which is completely useless since they already have vanguard. I wonder if the description is completely wrong, but the tech is working as intended or if its bugged somehow and giving the entire roster vanguard when it should only be a unit or two. Either way, its pretty fun lining up your entire army like 30 feet in front of the enemy right before the battle. Poor bastards never stood a chance

Going by text files for different translations it is working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I can’t believe that is working as intended, but at the same time Tzeentch can get unlimited teleporting ambush stance which is probably on the same power level.

Do Nurgle or Slaanesh have anything that is remotely equivalent?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Maybe it’s Khorne’s way of saying gently caress you nerd in your lab doing research with your puny arms and calves

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I can’t believe that is working as intended, but at the same time Tzeentch can get unlimited teleporting ambush stance which is probably on the same power level.

Do Nurgle or Slaanesh have anything that is remotely equivalent?

Nurgle gets mega plagues that mega replenish and all vanguard you.

Slaanesh gets trade agreements. No, I don’t know, I’m not far in a Slaanesh run.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
With Slaanesh you can summon entire armies with zero upkeep anywhere (they don't replenish but it's a free army) and also force the enemy to fight itself via the seduction mechanic. Factions you have a lot of influence with are severely handicapped against Slaaneshi factions so it pays off to spread cults and build diplomatic relations with areas you want to conquer later.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Slaanesh being able to use his main armies to summon a full stack is pretty nuts, even if they’re chariot-heavy and autoresolve doesn’t seem to like them. I’ve definitely played less-than-ideally, but I never found myself wanting for devotees. Use “Proliferate Cults” early and build the building that gives you devotees-per-turn. Slaanesh Cultists action against settlements is to create cults, much like Vampire Coast Captains.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just saw on r/tw that CA has a new community manager. Poor sod, this might be one of the most annoying jobs on the internet.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Impermanent posted:

try running them through some enemy formations and see what that does for you

But the light sleds and bears are already pretty good in that regard. I guess you could use em to zamboni your way to control points in settlement maps?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is there a collection or file of all the loading screen lore blurbs somewhere? I’m still finding fun new ones.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
It's kind of funny how the advisor begs these factions for help and many of the non relavent races treat him like hes just some vacuum salesman. I wanna see the outakes of him getting rejected by the WHII factions.

Settra: "Bear God? Pfff I got a pyramid full of those out back"

Skaven: "Horned rat in on it the whole time haha! You gonna cry-cry about it?"

Elves: "How does a God get captured by a Demon that's as corporeal as a hot fart? Sounds like a scam."

Lizardmen: "Please hold, the next available Slaan will be with you in 850 years"

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I feel like this game is actively trying to gently caress with me

I was playing as the daemon prince and dedicated myself to Slaanesh because I love their greater daemons. So what happens? I can not recruit greater slaanesh daemons because the game bugged out. It says I need 4400 glory to unlock the keeper of secrets and I've had 4400 for like 20 turns now. So I guess I just don't get to recruit greater daemons now :negative:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

I was playing as the daemon prince and dedicated myself to Slaanesh because I love their greater daemons. So what happens? I can not recruit greater slaanesh daemons because the game bugged out. It says I need 4400 glory to unlock the keeper of secrets and I've had 4400 for like 20 turns now. So I guess I just don't get to recruit greater daemons now :negative:

That's not a bug. You have to tell the Keeper of Secrets how badly you want it, you dirty slut.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Collapsing Farts posted:

Slaanesh is just edging you, sorry

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cathay Caravan should have been a ripoff of Oregon trail but instead of hunting, you manually aim a cannon and need to kill ogres in an AI vs. AI battle

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ulio posted:

Just saw on r/tw that CA has a new community manager. Poor sod, this might be one of the most annoying jobs on the internet.

The last one seemed to be really good at the job, and liked by the community, though it was admittedly in a less trying time when he got to push out a whole bunch of updates people were eager to see.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

New CM is going to drown in a tide of reddit nerdrage, unfortunately. I do not envy their position. That said, reddit is populated almost entirely by manchildren, so I guess the CM was expecting this, to an extent.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
re: DP favor and bugged unlocks. There's a bug where you actually need 4401 favor, but the value gets stuck at 4400 IIRC

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there a list/wiki of the available frost maiden traits somewhere? I'm just churning through them now trying to get as many as I can to see if I can get some good archetypes. I've only seen one "buff all ranged weapon strength" one and two "buff ice guard by 10" ones and would love to see what I have to chew through.

Also near as I can tell they aren't linked to each other: that is I can't lock myself out of the Ice Guard buff choice by picking something elsewhere but I'd love to know if that's true.

Highlights are obviously the ice guard buffs, the +12% province income and the chariot/grom upkeep reduction ones, but still.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this has already been posted, but it looks like we have our new Pontus.

Someone please edit the Pontus meme, thank you in advance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

cathay is the best faction though?

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Dramicus posted:

I don't know if this has already been posted, but it looks like we have our new Pontus.

Someone please edit the Pontus meme, thank you in advance.

About 100 different citations needed

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
"it's just too fantasy like" is peak Pontus when discussing the game based on Warhammer: Fantasy Battles.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Faction has no preexisting lore and army book, please do not create lore and armies tia.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

OwlFancier posted:

cathay is the best faction though?

It genuinely is, and is the one I'm most excited about playing on the IE map, followed by the Ogres.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

"it's just too fantasy like" is peak Pontus when discussing the game based on Warhammer: Fantasy Battles.

A setting with marauding fungus men, zombie pirates, and an entire civilisation built on the concept of holding grudges,

but fantasy China is a bridge too far.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

It genuinely is, and is the one I'm most excited about playing on the IE map, followed by the Ogres.

Cathay is basically a mix between all my favorite factions. Empire artillery + cheap armored Dwarf warriors + High Elf armor-piercing long-range archers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The thing I don't get about the racist "I hate the chinese and fantasy china" is like... then shouldn't you be happy you can murder them all in-game? "drat this thing I hate is repped in game, now I can go and enact all my small dick racist fantasies."

As an aside for people playing as Katarin, you may think the Crystal Cloak quest battle is extremely hard and be confused about why your units are responding to your orders like a bunch of addict monkeys. You are not crazy, the game is actually loving you.

For this quest battle, no matter your setting, the game enables Skirmish mode on all your units, which, in turn, makes them try to 'run away' from the Tzeentch forces surrounding you. The ranged Tzeentch forces. The ranged Tzeentch forces that start the map surrounding you. The ranged Tzeentch forces that start the map surrounding you with your back to a mountain.

Dramicus posted:

Cathay is basically a mix between all my favorite factions. Empire artillery + cheap armored Dwarf warriors + High Elf armor-piercing long-range archers.

They're also the WHFB version of the Imperium of Man. The Dragon Emperor is a not!God with the powers of a God insisting he not be worshipped (While being worshipped) Who's children have half fallen to chaos, heavily opposed to Chaos. It's "What if the Imperium but not hyper xenophobic racists?"

Which I guess is why the hyper xenophobic racists really hate them

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

They're also the WHFB version of the Imperium of Man. The Dragon Emperor is a not!God with the powers of a God insisting he not be worshipped (While being worshipped) Who's children have half fallen to chaos, heavily opposed to Chaos. It's "What if the Imperium but not hyper xenophobic racists?"

Which I guess is why the hyper xenophobic racists really hate them

Yeah, the Dragon Primarch lords, combined with the fact that the faction lore is being written by GW as we speak, leaves the door open for some really cool legendary lord additions, and that's without getting into the Monkey King who should also be amazing.

I also wonder if we will get some smaller Ushabti-sized Terracotta warriors. Or even regular infantry-sized ones could be neat too. Maybe give them two-handed weapons, high armor and low melee defense or something.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Cathay roster as it stands is honestly substantially *less* fantastical than 90% of the factions in the game. It's mostly just standard military dudes/dudettes with some gunpowder and one or two magic fantasy units(terracottas, the compass).

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Me, after my Hunter whiffs that cripple shot for the hundreth time today:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kanos posted:

The Cathay roster as it stands is honestly substantially *less* fantastical than 90% of the factions in the game. It's mostly just standard military dudes/dudettes with some gunpowder and one or two magic fantasy units(terracottas, the compass).

And it still owns bones. Cathay is probably the faction I've enjoyed the most, honestly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gonkish posted:

And it still owns bones. Cathay is probably the faction I've enjoyed the most, honestly.

Cathay is a very enjoyable "Combined Arms" roster. Like my issue with the Empire has always been that for an army that is "Faith, Steel and Gunpowder" the Steel kinda... sucked? Like your anvil was poo poo, your Gunpowder was an amazing hammer, but the Demigryphs, the Reiksguard, the State troops, even their Elite trooper Greatswords all... really sucked. Cathay is where the balance should be for the Empire I feel. Is the Cav amazing? No, but that's got more to do with the mechanics of Cavalry in WH3. And it has a flying cav unit.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Kanos posted:

Don't forget the high fantasy that is females in combat roles. Unimaginable, really...

But to your point, they're about as fantasy as the other human races. The Empire has steam tanks, Cathay has war balloons. Bretonnia has pegasi, Cathay has longma. Kislev has The Biggest Bear, Cathay has The Angriest Statue. At the end though, in most fights most of your troops will be bog-standard troops with spears, crossbows, horses, and if they're especially lucky, guns (and magic).

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Onmi posted:

Cathay is a very enjoyable "Combined Arms" roster. Like my issue with the Empire has always been that for an army that is "Faith, Steel and Gunpowder" the Steel kinda... sucked? Like your anvil was poo poo, your Gunpowder was an amazing hammer, but the Demigryphs, the Reiksguard, the State troops, even their Elite trooper Greatswords all... really sucked. Cathay is where the balance should be for the Empire I feel. Is the Cav amazing? No, but that's got more to do with the mechanics of Cavalry in WH3. And it has a flying cav unit.

I think the Empire troops are... fine. None of them are the best-in-class, but they all do their job well. It's just easy to compare to your neighbors and feel inadequate though - you've got Bretonnian cavalry, Dwarven infantry, and Wood Elf archery.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
there is no room for anything but the most dignified and straightlaced approach to lore and army building based off historical forces in my war games

*plays the faction of ten foot tall elephant-skinned fat guys who all shout OORRHGRHGRHGRHGHGR in unison when I order them to charge into the enemy front*

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I was looking at the empire troops and went "heh, 30 armour for tier ones? who gives a poo poo".

But everything does so much magical that yeah, literally who gives a poo poo. They're there as chaff.

On a separate note taking dwarven flamethrowers to burn nurgle armies is amazing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Doomykins posted:

there is no room for anything but the most dignified and straightlaced approach to lore and army building based off historical forces in my war games

*plays the faction of ten foot tall elephant-skinned fat guys who all shout OORRHGRHGRHGRHGHGR in unison when I order them to charge into the enemy front*

Yes, yes, but, you see, all of those fat boys are, in fact, boys, and thus conform to the grounded, reasonable fantasy that I, random internet incel, demand. Cathay has FEMALES and thus it is obviously unrealistic.

(I'm sure there are actual human beings who think this way, and that's depressing to me.)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Oh man, doesn't Repanse give her whole stack fire damage? Need to take her up north once IE drops.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Only thing I don't get is the heavy sleds. You pay like 50% more for just another 50% more armor, a bit less speed, and no change to their ranged attack. I guess their mass is better?

It would have made more sense if say they had little anti large cannons mounted on them with limited ammo. Would be useful late game when there's no shortage of relavent targets.

Mass is super powerful and being able to push through will reduce damage taken by even more than the armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

orangelex44 posted:

I think the Empire troops are... fine. None of them are the best-in-class, but they all do their job well. It's just easy to compare to your neighbors and feel inadequate though - you've got Bretonnian cavalry, Dwarven infantry, and Wood Elf archery.

I really disagree. The main MAIN issue is that for example... what's a better anvil? Spearmen, Swordsmen, Greatswords OR your Lord, Warrior Priests and Captains? The latter, because there is less friendly fire from your Helstorms and your mage. What do you want Cavalry to be able to do? Hammer the enemy, and pull out. Reiksguard and Empire Captains are far too slow for that, and Demigryph Knights are minced by things they rightly shouldn't. Even using them as Anti-Large is hilarious considering how few models they have and how most large units still destroy them. Nothing like... told me how bad the Empire was until WH3 where I go "Oh... Bear Riders are what Demigryphs wanna be. The War Sleds are what the War Wagon wants to be. Tzar Guard is what Greatswords wish they were."

The empires ranged capabilities? Amazing love it, the best. But it just has no worthwhile cavalry or front line.