Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Since Tesla insurance available in my state and I have a VIN I thought I would go ahead and do some shopping around. My current insurance company wants $153.40 a month while Tesla only wants $95.31 a month for the same coverage. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Antillie posted:

Since Tesla insurance available in my state and I have a VIN I thought I would go ahead and do some shopping around. My current insurance company wants $153.40 a month while Tesla only wants $95.31 a month for the same coverage. drat.

yeah but then Elon gets paid more

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah but then Elon gets paid more

I don't know much about him other than:

1. He's super rich.
2. He also runs SpaceX and puts things in orbit.
3. He uses Twitter a lot. (I don't use Twitter at all. I don't even have an account.)
4. He is apparently controversial in some way.

So to me its just a question of how can I save the most money on my car insurance.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

people here do tend to have difficulty separating obnoxious elon musk antics from the more relevant question of whether the products are any good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if the insurance is that cheap maybe it's loss making in which case it is your duty to take Elon's money

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Antillie posted:

Keep in mind that the quote is likely for absolutely-perfect driving. Forward collision warning? Rates go up. Hard turn? Rates go up. Car in front slows down in traffic? Rates go up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Buying insurance from the car maker (against their own car) just feels like one of those things that should probably be kept separate.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Sonic Dude posted:

Keep in mind that the quote is likely for absolutely-perfect driving. Forward collision warning? Rates go up. Hard turn? Rates go up. Car in front slows down in traffic? Rates go up.

Yeah it assumes a safety score of 90 out of 100. Whatever that means. But then goes on to say that they expect pretty much everyone to have a score above 80. So clearly there is some funniness going on there. But even if they do up the rates after a couple of months I doubt they will jack them up past ~$150. And if they do, hey, I can always switch.

Edit: I'll keep an eye on it over time after I get my car and report back in a few months.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 14, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

people here do tend to have difficulty separating obnoxious elon musk antics from the more relevant question of whether the products are any good

well he makes it incredibly tough when he posts boilerplate transphobia and support for homegrown fascist "movements", yeah

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Rule 2 of the thread is "no musk chat" so I think that's a good indication about how much mental energy the thread puts into it.

I mean, rule 2 could have been "no cute puppy photos", but I guess pet photo posting wasn't a big enough problem.

I aim to rectify that situation.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cruft posted:

Rule 2 of the thread is "no musk chat" so I think that's a good indication about how much mental energy the thread puts into it.

I mean, rule 2 could have been "no cute puppy photos", but I guess pet photo posting wasn't a big enough problem.

Reporting this post dog is not in or on an EV.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cruft posted:

gotta protect the feelings of SA's resident chuds

that's why CSPAM + D&D were made into "politics containment zones" and we can all see how well that strategy's been paying off

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Antillie posted:

Yeah it assumes a safety score of 90 out of 100. Whatever that means.

I was wondering what the breakpoint was gonna be. Getting a 99 or 100 to make it into the FSD beta was loving awful, but even commuting through Miami with the attendant cut-offs and hard stops, I never had even an individual-drive score under 90. Keeping a 90+ average shouldn’t be difficult for basically anyone that isn’t a compulsive tailgating, binary-power/brake driver.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Now I wish I had a way to see my driver score. Not paying $12k to find out!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I was wondering what the breakpoint was gonna be. Getting a 99 or 100 to make it into the FSD beta was loving awful, but even commuting through Miami with the attendant cut-offs and hard stops, I never had even an individual-drive score under 90. Keeping a 90+ average shouldn’t be difficult for basically anyone that isn’t a compulsive tailgating, binary-power/brake driver.

Anyone ITT want to volunteer to try to get <= 89? Thanks in advance for your contribution.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

cruft posted:

My father is just over the moon that it still costs $2.50 to drive his LEAF to Santa Fe and back.

I got my car in January this year. My mother and father in law said it was a horrible time to get a vehicle and I should have waited.

They are currently looking to get a Model Y. This latest price spike is the last straw per them. I have never felt more vindicated about my purchase. The same car I got for 22k now is being sold for 30k. We live in some crazy times right now.

Edit: Apparently it’s 30k now!

Kirios fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 14, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kirios posted:

I got my car in January this year. My mother and father in law said it was a horrible time to get a vehicle and I should have waited.

They are currently looking to get a Model Y. This latest price spike is the last straw per them. I have never felt more vindicated about my purchase. The same car I got for 22k now is being sold for 28k. We live in some crazy times right now.

Yeah, after everything was signed, I started feeling like the Bolt was sort of a panic buy, and I could have paid less if I'd been in a better frame of mind about it.

I no longer regret panic-buying an electric car!

E: holy crap, $30k is a 36% increase.

A guy I was talking to yesterday said it costs about $250 to fill up his truck. Somebody who does a lot of driving could spend the cost of a new Tesla in a year at current gas prices.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

MrYenko posted:

That is very encouraging to hear. At least its not some sort of "99% of people are in the 82-86 range so get ready to pay more than you thought" bs. Getting a score over 90 would be nice as it would theoretically save me some money but I am not going to stress about it. I have no interest in FSD so I don't really care if I get to 99 or 100.

As long as my model 3 has a Ryzen chip in it I will be very happy. I also hope it has a Li 12v battery instead of a lead acid. I wonder if I will be able to tell once I get it.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 14, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kirios posted:

They are currently looking to get a Model Y. This latest price spike is the last straw per them. I have never felt more vindicated about my purchase. The same car I got for 22k now is being sold for 30k. We live in some crazy times right now.

Edit: Apparently it’s 30k now!

I don't know if I told the thread this, but my dad's friend was trying to get us to sell him the LEAF if my dad didn't want it. Like, including transport halfway across the country or something. But my dad bought the car, so I told him sorry.

Now he's sending me email forwards from grandma about how horrible electric cars are.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Reporting this post dog is not in or on an EV.

that is an Extremely Very-good-dog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Buying insurance from the car maker (against their own car) just feels like one of those things that should probably be kept separate.

why

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Ok Comboomer posted:

gotta protect the feelings of SA's resident chuds

that's why CSPAM + D&D were made into "politics containment zones" and we can all see how well that strategy's been paying off

I mean I can't stand the dude either, but you've got a bad case of consumerbrain if you think a couple of posters on a dead forum buying Polestars or something instead of Teslas is going to make any difference.

Here's a thread-appropriate dog, but I prefer the other one.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Now I wish I had a way to see my driver score. Not paying $12k to find out!

Good news! It goes away once you get into the beta so I have no idea what my score is.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'd honestly like to see more integration like this. The car maker shouldn't be the only place to get things like this, but I feel it should be an option. Same for dealerships. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be competing against direct to consumer sales from the manufacturers. Sure you'd need some level of regulation to make sure the manufacturers sell to the dealerships at the roughly same prices they sell direct to consumers but the current system in the US sucks. Dealerships make the vast majority of their money on after sale parts/services and finance charges anyway. And they can still do the former on cars sold direct. They can even still compete on financing just like they do now.

Over the years I've bought 3 cars in private sales and 3 at dealerships. The prospect of being able to buy a new car without having to go to a dealership is worth it, even at a markup.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Loucks posted:

I mean I can't stand the dude either, but you've got a bad case of consumerbrain if you think a couple of posters on a dead forum buying Polestars or something instead of Teslas is going to make any difference.

Here's a thread-appropriate dog, but I prefer the other one.

'not buying a car from a company currently being helmed by a man who has publicly cheer-led recent fascist attempts to destabilize and replace democratically-elected governments in Canada+the US, and whose aforementioned company is being sued right now by the world's sixth-largest economy for running what the lawsuit calls a "racially segregated production facility" after FIVE YEARS of warnings' = a bridge too far for some goons

lmao of course you have a JOE tag

if you want a laugh, check out the AI chat thread for fun stuff he's been tweeting about trans people (not counting all the other awful poo poo he's tweeted about trans people) and Ukraine

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

So anyway! Don't you think these walls are vertical?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yup, nice verticality in those walls.

I'm a really big fan of the sky, too. Like how it keeps "outer space", y'know, outer. 5/5, really just aces.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

'not buying a car from a company currently being helmed by a man who has publicly cheer-led recent fascist attempts to destabilize and replace democratically-elected governments in Canada+the US, and whose aforementioned company is being sued right now by the world's sixth-largest economy for running what the lawsuit calls a "racially segregated production facility" after FIVE YEARS of warnings' = a bridge too far for some goons

lmao of course you have a JOE tag

if you want a laugh, check out the AI chat thread for fun stuff he's been tweeting about trans people (not counting all the other awful poo poo he's tweeted about trans people) and Ukraine

I don't know what the joe tag has to do with anything, but this is already turning into a pointless derail. I knew what the guy tweeted when I made my previous post, so just refer to that and be mad if you feel the need to be.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Loucks posted:

I don't know what the joe tag has to do with anything, but this is already turning into a pointless derail. I knew what the guy tweeted when I made my previous post, so just refer to that and be mad if you feel the need to be.

idk, I just think about how the trans people among my family and friends might feel if I pulled up to pick them up in a brand spanking new 2022 Model S after all the recent bullshit, ya know? :shrug:

I'm sorry that me talking about it makes you uncomfortable

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I just wanted an EV that could 100% replace my Kia Optima in 2018, and there weren't any options. I wanted to get the Niro EV but Kia decided that my state wasn't worthy. Things are looking a lot better now, though.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

idk, I just think about how the trans people among my family and friends might feel if I pulled up to pick them up in a brand spanking new 2022 Model S after all the recent bullshit, ya know? :shrug:

I'm sorry that me talking about it makes you uncomfortable

It really doesn't make me feel uncomfortable, I just don't see the point of rehashing it itt every couple of pages. Elon Musk is bad and there are a lot of threads to discuss that sort of thing in. Not talking about it right here and now doesn't mean that everyone here wants to hug and kiss Elon Musk. I do feel uncomfortable wielding trans/queer people in my orbit as a bludgeon, but you don't seem to have any such reservations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have a minor repair on my Kia once they get a part in that should take about an hour so I'm hoping I can wrangle an EV6 testdrive while I wait. They have a red one on the lot that looks fantastic :allears:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Loucks posted:

It really doesn't make me feel uncomfortable, I just don't see the point of rehashing it itt every couple of pages. Elon Musk is bad and there are a lot of threads to discuss that sort of thing in. Not talking about it right here and now doesn't mean that everyone here wants to hug and kiss Elon Musk. I do feel uncomfortable wielding trans/queer people in my orbit as a bludgeon, but you don't seem to have any such reservations.

We’ve hashed out this debate before, plenty of other people have hashed out this debate before:

this is a thread where people look to get buying advice on EVs.

If I were shopping for an EV I would want to know what kind of politics the CEO of the leading EV manufacturer in the world was publicly espousing on social media to an audience of millions.

Are all auto industry CEOs garbage politically? Yeah, sure. But most of them keep their bullshit behind closed doors.

I think some posters here just want a safe space because literally everywhere else on the forums, and on the SA discords, etc, Tesla owners get showered in ridicule

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Best rate my credit union can give is 2.2% @ 63 month. I think I can live with that. Now to have that good old chat with the Kia dealer to talk about that sweet and totally not loving insane ADM.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Best rate my credit union can give is 2.2% @ 63 month. I think I can live with that. Now to have that good old chat with the Kia dealer to talk about that sweet and totally not loving insane ADM.

Good luck, but I hope you have pics of the manager cheating on their spouse or something. As much as I like the EV6 (which should have been a wagon) my local dealer seems convinced that there are plenty of people desperate to pay well over MSRP.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Loucks posted:

Good luck, but I hope you have pics of the manager cheating on their spouse or something. As much as I like the EV6 (which should have been a wagon) my local dealer seems convinced that there are plenty of people desperate to pay well over MSRP.

Given the incredible demand for, and low supply of, both new and used cars, they are probably correct. At least in the US. I'm not sure how things are in other parts of the world.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Oh yeah, probably. I can wait, but it's not great out there for people who need a car right now.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you’re selling or trading in you’ve got to weight the ADM cost against the increased value of your trade in as well. Paying a 3k ADM sucks but if you’re getting 5k more out of your old car than you would have in sane times then you’re still coming out ahead.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Antillie posted:

That is very encouraging to hear. At least its not some sort of "99% of people are in the 82-86 range so get ready to pay more than you thought" bs. Getting a score over 90 would be nice as it would theoretically save me some money but I am not going to stress about it. I have no interest in FSD so I don't really care if I get to 99 or 100.

As long as my model 3 has a Ryzen chip in it I will be very happy. I also hope it has a Li 12v battery instead of a lead acid. I wonder if I will be able to tell once I get it.

It's probably lead acid. EV people seem to have a weird hangup about them, but they're good batteries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhIRD5YVNbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Loucks posted:

I've been looking at a couple of Niros and they both were several thousand over the websites' prices.

$48,000 (including taxes and fees and such) seems really high for the non-Premier model.