Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to take 50 percent custody after my children left themselves

I'm sure all those family members would have been quick to step up and support/fund her through a court battle with him, right? "You know what a worthless poo poo parent your ex was and let him have the kids anyway!" And now they're all offering to help support him with the kids they care so much about, right?

She doesn't sound too heartbroken about giving up the kids, just vaguely describes being lonely. You could still make the argument being with the dad who wants them more and kicking his rear end in to gear a bit could be better long-term for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to take 50 percent custody after my children left themselves

"My kids were little shits to me once? Well gently caress you! I'm getting rid of your room and never seeing you again!"

Counterpoint: if your kids literally accuse you of kidnapping them when you have them over, what is it you're supposed to do exactly? What was she supposed to do, keep a house that was above her means now that she was paying full child support on the off chance they decide they're no longer calling her a kidnapper?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

limp_cheese posted:

If that's true than the only way to not be gay is to sew your rear end in a top hat shut and get a colostomy bag.

If making GBS threads into a colostomy bag feels good does that mean you're gay since you are using your new rear end in a top hat? (There's a sentence I never thought I would type.)

You can't really tell, I had a temporary ileostomy and you feel some pressure and that's about it. Now whether or not getting the old "west Philly sidecar" as it's known around here makes you gay, I can't attest to that...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint: if your kids literally accuse you of kidnapping them when you have them over, what is it you're supposed to do exactly? What was she supposed to do, keep a house that was above her means now that she was paying full child support on the off chance they decide they're no longer calling her a kidnapper?

Not give up the literal first time they said a bad thing? They're loving kids, probably having their brain poisoned by their father. Get them in therapy. Sue for parental alientation. Fight for your loving kids not just wash your hands and say your problem now bozo!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Who would leave their 10 month old child with someone who is a. a complete stranger to the kid and b. appears to have zero experience in childcare?

Edit:
"watch my baby for an hour" - not much experience needed

"Parent my baby for several days" - all kinds of knowledge needed. Hell, I've done my share of babysitting as a teenager, and I wouldn't have a clue how to mind an actual baby for several days. I mean, I'd probably manage, but it'd be very stressful.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 14, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pookah posted:

Who would leave their 10 month old child with someone who is a. a complete stranger to the kid and b. appears to have zero experience in childcare?

A surprising number of people, as it turns out!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The response here is very different based on the age of the children, and the ones in the story are as young as 7.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder how much she even wanted to.be a parent. Maybe she was pressured into it. Not defending her, necessarily, but it would make the situation that much more tragic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The youngest kid is 7. Being a parent means sometimes your 7 year old is going to say stupid poo poo like 'I hate you forever, you're the worst' over the most trivial bullshit imaginable. That doesn't mean you should immediately give up on a relationship with the kid, especially when they're clearly being manipulated by another parent.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If the Dad and his new girlfriend who petitioned for 100% get their rear end in gear I'm sure the kids will have a better time. That being said, seems from an edit and her comments like she's going to try and slowly build a relationship back with the kids, although she's not ready for custody yet.

quote:

Edit: A lot of you think I should see them on weekends and try to rebuild relationship before going back to 50/50. I think I will try this and thank you to the others who said I am the a hole and have a good reason why. I will be putting my kids first from now on.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not making my teenage son wear a helmet when he skateboards?

r/relationships: "I will be known as the Helmet Queen"

You could crash
You could dii-iiee
Please don't go risking your liiffee

See that girl
Loves safe-ty
She is the Helmet Queeennnnn

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BOOTY-ADE posted:

You could crash
You could dii-iiee
Please don't go risking your liiffee

See that girl
Loves safe-ty
She is the Helmet Queeennnnn

:discourse:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
A friend of mine lost his sense of smell when he fractured his skull when skateboarding. Wear a helmet, kids!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hughlander posted:

UPDATE GF is mad I compared massages to oral sex

I think I read most of this laughing at just how ridiculous the whole thing is.
It's sad when people are so bad at managing give-and-take in a relationship that everything suddenly becomes explicitly transactional.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Halloween Jack posted:

It's sad when people are so bad at managing give-and-take in a relationship that everything suddenly becomes explicitly transactional.

Yeah, he eventually got where he needed to go but got there the wrong way. Regardless of if she’s giving blowjobs her requests were unreasonable. Bringing that up just muddied the waters.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Zore posted:

The youngest kid is 7. Being a parent means sometimes your 7 year old is going to say stupid poo poo like 'I hate you forever, you're the worst' over the most trivial bullshit imaginable. That doesn't mean you should immediately give up on a relationship with the kid, especially when they're clearly being manipulated by another parent.

Seems odd to me that OP would give up custody so easily to the ex...I'm wondering if there's been a history of him manipulating the kids, so she called his bluff & now he's all mad that she's not there doing the work while he plays "fun dad"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hughlander posted:

GF is mad I compared massages to oral sex

[b]UPDATE GF is mad I compared massages to oral sex
> Cooking was suddenly an issue where it wasn't in the past- she started to overseason and then complain I don't eat her cooking as much as I used to, while complaining I didn't season/salt enough when I cook though I point out she could always add whatever she needed/wanted.

COVID strikes again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yeah, he eventually got where he needed to go but got there the wrong way. Regardless of if she’s giving blowjobs her requests were unreasonable. Bringing that up just muddied the waters.
You're right about that, but: he asked for a massage, she gave up after 5 minutes saying she was bored and her hands hurt, and she still didn't get what he was trying to communicate. Not sure where you go after that without a, uh, dramatic counterexample.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Halloween Jack posted:

You're right about that, but: he asked for a massage, she gave up after 5 minutes saying she was bored and her hands hurt, and she still didn't get what he was trying to communicate. Not sure where you go after that without a, uh, dramatic counterexample.

You just say no and explain why. If they get it then they change, if they cannot understand it then you move on. Maybe if you already have kids you try and work it out in therapy, but I wouldn’t put that much effort into keeping dating this person.

When you say what he said all she hears is “I don’t want to massage you, you don’t blow me,” which isn’t what he said, but it’s going to be what she hears. And that misses the problem. The problem isn’t that she doesn’t do enough period. The problem isn’t that she doesn’t do enough relative to him (there’s that too but it wasn’t his main point). The problem is she’s asking him to do too much, period. The more you keep it to that the better the problem can be managed.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm happy to give my wife a neck rub or whatever whenever she wants without keeping a tally in my head, but I think if your partner is demanding hour long massages multiple times a week it's reasonable to try and lay down some rules.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my sister actions have consequences and she doesn’t deserve her kid?

While I think that adoption is admirable, just HOW does OP think that these magical children appeared in the system?

morally not literally. she thinks bringing a life into this world is bad not that its impossible. if i had to guess its because you know this is a hell world and there a literally thousands of kids to adopt.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Those who live in glass houses...wait a minute...

does dementia make you just drop your mask or does it make you do stuff you would never do. i assume its a bit of both.

snergle fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 14, 2022

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Seems odd to me that OP would give up custody so easily to the ex...I'm wondering if there's been a history of him manipulating the kids, so she called his bluff & now he's all mad that she's not there doing the work while he plays "fun dad"

This is it right here. Probably a bit like the story I told earlier about my dad taking my mom to court every year for custody then saying it was all a game when she called his bluff. She should try to reconnect with her kids because they need at least one parent and the dad clearly won't step up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I feel like the classic reddit activity for questions that are real is to figure out what major piece of backstory has been left out.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I feel like the classic reddit activity for questions that are real is to figure out what major piece of backstory has been left out.

It almost gets to be a game at times, kinda like when estranged/narcissist parents post & try to play victim...it's easy to spot the lies when you learn what language/words they like to use

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

snergle posted:

does dementia make you just drop your mask or does it make you do stuff you would never do. i assume its a bit of both.

It depends which parts of your brain it damages.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

snergle posted:

morally not literally. she thinks bringing a life into this world is bad not that its impossible. if i had to guess its because you know this is a hell world and there a literally thousands of kids to adopt.

My dad has dementia, and it hasn't actually changed his personality at all. His long-term memory is fine, but short-term is hosed up. He mixes things up in his head and 100% believes that what he thinks is true. For example, my mum died in 2016 but he constantly thinks that she and "the girls" (me and my sister - I live next door to him...) are going to be coming home to Australia from the UK. He's mixed this up with his aunt who has kids over in the UK and visits them regularly.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

snergle posted:

There’s definitely plenty of the latter. There are many forms of dementia but at least some of them cause massive personality changes and a completely distorted worldview.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm happy to give my wife a neck rub or whatever whenever she wants without keeping a tally in my head, but I think if your partner is demanding hour long massages multiple times a week it's reasonable to try and lay down some rules.

what really gets me is her telling him that "no talking" is one of the rules

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

For sure, the situation became irretrievable when she adopted a scorched-earth policy to not getting 100% of what she wants 100% of the time while reciprocating nothing. Based on his side of the story, it sounds like her kink is being the shittiest pillow princess in the world.

And it appears she got her father on his case, too. I can't imagine my father-in-law calling me to tell me to give more massages and foreplay.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 14, 2022

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

limp_cheese posted:

If that's true than the only way to not be gay is to sew your rear end in a top hat shut and get a colostomy bag.

If making GBS threads into a colostomy bag feels good does that mean you're gay since you are using your new rear end in a top hat? (There's a sentence I never thought I would type.)

Go ahead, search "colostomy hole sex". I double-dog dare you.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Doc Hawkins posted:

what really gets me is her telling him that "no talking" is one of the rules

No talking, no watching a show, two full hours, it’s crazy enough that I kind of doubt it’s real. But if it is, holy poo poo.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

B-Rock452 posted:

"west Philly sidecar"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I don't think I will. Just like eye socket sex I believe its real and a thing but I would rather be ignorant on the details. I feel like my life is better that way.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

limp_cheese posted:

I don't think I will. Just like eye socket sex I believe its real and a thing but I would rather be ignorant on the details. I feel like my life is better that way.

And yet here you are, in this thread of all places

Hypocrite

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

My dad was proud of growing up on spruce st in West Philly. I'm glad he's dead to spare him that knowledge.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for locking the door until I'm able to check employees' work

quote:

I am a store lead for a grocery chain, and I mainly work closing shifts. I have a newer employee (2months at this store but has meat experience, and that's where he works, but recently came to closing shift) that I don't get along with, mainly because he has issues with me locking the front door and won't let him leave until I check his work. He says he's scheduled until 10 pm, he clocked out at 10 pm, and I can't keep him there. I say that I'll just correct the time he clocked out and he can stay until I check his work.

After his shift last night, he clocked out and left through the fire exit around 10:20. That door also leads to our dumpsters so the alarms didn't go off. Checked the cameras and it seemed like he was waiting for me to check his department, but then got frustrated as I had other things to do and left. I tried calling him today, but he didn't answer until after the third call. I tried to explain the situation, and all he said was to wait until his next shift because this is a work issue, but that's not until Saturday because we're cutting everyone's hours to make up for a mistake that management made. (In my opinion isn't fair because we just didn't make enough sales and we're about $2000 short for the month). I say I'm still his boss and he'll respect me, he said that if he's not being paid to deal with me, then he's not going to. Also that I'm the only Store lead with control issues and the other store leads let people leave as their shift ends, because they let people start wrapping things up early.

So AITA for stopping my employees from leaving until I check their work?

You give some people the TINIEST bit of power over others...

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

And yet here you are, in this thread of all places

Hypocrite

drat right I'm in this thread instead of Reddit. I'll let other brave souls touch the poop to post content. I'll just continue shouting nonsense from the peanut gallery, always wondering what new depth of human misery I never thought of will be brought up next for me to ponder when ignorance would be better.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

AITA for locking the door until I'm able to check employees' work

You give some people the TINIEST bit of power over others...

God I wish Nerdist hadn't deleted the Kids in the Hall "Mad with Power" sketch

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for not telling my daughter im aware of her lifestyle until almost a year later?

quote:

My daughter is 25, she lives a fairly wealthy life and when asked by family she says she invests, stocks, crypto, etc. I know she does, but thats not even half of her income. She does onlyfans, and twitter and PH. Im aware of this because i will admit a single man in his 40s has needs, and i reconized it as her right away. I clicked on the twitter profile and her face was the profile picture. I blocked her, made a note of the names so i wouldnt come across them anywhere else and felt kind of weird of myself, but i didnt bring it up to her. That was a year ago, and a few days ago she finally admitted at a family function what she does. Mixed reactions and anger aside, I did let her know i knew, and i respected her choice to as long as she was being safe and knew she was okay with this being online forever. She got really upset with me and told me i shouldnt be watching those kinds of things and that im disgusting, vile, etc. She hasnt talked to me since and i get her disgust in it but is it really that bad that i never told her?

AITA for not telling my daughter i know what she did for work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

TIFU means Toad Inspires gently caress You it’s a Mario fandom meme. People hated on toad so long the fans came together to support them.