Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

A Festivus Miracle posted:

It has been a strange experience. The people in my class were from our competitors, a few from my own company, and a few randos. One lady was literally being paid to be there, I got comped the hotel and the cost of the class, and the people working at the competitor jobs had to carpool, stay at the motel 6, and not get anything comped. It's kind of depressing to find out that the other potential landing places are actually dramatically worse than the one you're at.
There was a lot to like about my previous company, but the number one WTF I experienced there was mandatory (same sex) roommates in hotel rooms.

Up until then in previous companies I never experienced it. Even if they were seemingly on the brink of financial ruin and therefore could be given a veneer of justifying "doubling up", we got our own rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Cheesus posted:

There was a lot to like about my previous company, but the number one WTF I experienced there was mandatory (same sex) roommates in hotel rooms.

Up until then in previous companies I never experienced it. Even if they were seemingly on the brink of financial ruin and therefore could be given a veneer of justifying "doubling up", we got our own rooms.

The one time I have had to go on an overnight business trip I was doubled up with a guy that snored real loving loud all night and I got basically no sleep. Snorers should be doubled up together.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I will pay for my own hotel room before ever sharing sleep space with Bill from accounting

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cheesus posted:

Oh no that’s not good. At one job I had they’d send trainers across the country to help instruct locations about a new process. They were cheaping out on hotels and multiple female trainers who would be traveling alone had safety objections and it would have been a few thousand to take them seriously and get better accommodations, as this was a booming MegaCorp. Or you can stick to the corporate travel policy probably not updated since the 80s, and your best trainers quit the company and immediately get better gigs and the impact of lower quality training and restaffing far exceed what it would have cost to meet their requests.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

A while ago someone posted about applicants who would describe themselves as Excel masters but melt down and accuse the interviewer of trickery when asked to make a simple pivot table.

My one Excel weakness. We never use pivot tables in my current position. drat near everything else, including VBA, but never pivot tables.

I'd like to think I could at least figure it out, though. Definitely not react like that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I don't think this is dumb, I think it's amusing. Spotted in a thread where quoting is blocked:

.https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932360&pagenumber=11&perpage=40&userid=0#post522072374

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you can actually quote stuff in PMF and closed threads now to get the post text with bbcode, but can't actually complete the post. like you can also open the edit page in closed threads etc, I remember Astral posting about it in a forum code update one time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yeah

Captain Invictus posted:

walked past the screen they have rotating safety images and videos on and saw this, loving amazing

https://i.imgur.com/lOe6mlb.mp4

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thank you both! Just phone posting in between playing my St. Pat's gig so I didn't want to do much digging.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I told my boss I'm an adult and there's no way I'm sleeping in a room someone I'm not loving, and I never got hassled about it, but if I did I would have quit immediately.

I don't even understand how that is supposed to work. What if you have medical issues you don't want people to know about? What if you sleep naked? What if you're introverted and need to have literally any time not interacting with people? What if you need privacy for your religious practices? What if you want to call your family without anyone overhearing?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

evilpicard posted:

I told my boss I'm an adult and there's no way I'm sleeping in a room someone I'm not loving, and I never got hassled about it, but if I did I would have quit immediately.

I don't even understand how that is supposed to work. What if you have medical issues you don't want people to know about? What if you sleep naked? What if you're introverted and need to have literally any time not interacting with people? What if you need privacy for your religious practices? What if you want to call your family without anyone overhearing?

Sounds like you need to figure out how to seduce whoever's assigned to you

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

evilpicard posted:

The answer to all your questions is basically: You should just be happy you have a job, you worthless peon!

Or perhaps a slightly gentler "you know, we don't have to send you to this seminar/conference".

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

evilpicard posted:

What if you want to sit in bed while drying after a shower and watch ingrown toenail videos on youtube?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

MagusofStars posted:

Or perhaps a slightly gentler "you know, we don't have to send you to this seminar/conference".

Lol they are mandatory if you work in ops

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Just book me one of those tube hotels. Cheap and single occupancy (because I'm too fat to stick a second person in a two person tube).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Machai posted:

Just book me one of those tube hotels. Cheap and single occupancy (because I'm too fat to stick a second person in a two person tube).

Here's a stick of butter. Be a team player and make it work.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

evilpicard posted:

I told my boss I'm an adult and there's no way I'm sleeping in a room someone I'm not loving,

theyre trying to play matchmaker.

obviously youre not buying their matches so you should report to HR.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I can hear the keyboards of Nintendo's lawyers firing up.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The pivot table tool pretty much does everything for you now, but people are still impressed by it

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Pivot tables are pretty awesome but holy poo poo it can be a pain to get people to understand that they need to structure their data in some manner first.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

duffmensch posted:

Pivot tables are pretty awesome but holy poo poo it can be a pain to get people to understand that they need to structure their data in some manner first.

A large portion of my career was unfucking excel tables.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress Excel tables.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Excel Work is Work

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Barudak posted:

A large portion of my career was unfucking excel tables.

For a while I was using pivot tables just to qaqc hosed datasets

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
One week job search report, out of 10 applications:
  • 1 screening call successfully passed, expecting hiring manager move forward this week
  • 1 screening call pending for the week of the 21st
  • 1 screening call I declined to move forward due to technical interview
  • 3 PFOs (one had already filled the role and not removed the listing)
  • 4 no response, will receive stock PFO (I've considered the role and have decided I will not be moving forward at this time) if they contact me

Something else I really dislike in these interviews is when they ask me to regurgitate my resume. Asking me questions about the particulars of my resume is fantastic, but "can you tell us a bit about yourself?" is stupid. Yes, I already did, it's my fuckin resume, thanks.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Beep boop inefficient conversation opener detected initiate interview abort sequence

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 13, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Car Hater posted:

The pivot table tool pretty much does everything for you now, but people are still impressed by it
"Can you do pivot tables" isn't a question about if you can use the world's worst sql interface to grab data out of a spreadsheet. Its about if you know how to generate or take a problem statement and use pivot tables to get an answer to it out of a data set that you may need to restructure to get a useful result out of.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Until I got to Japan I liked to ask candidates what about their work experience they most wanted to share that wasn't on their resume, but in Japan that triggers the flight response in candidates immediately so I've had to go about that another way.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

evilpicard posted:

Beep boop inefficient conversation opener detected initiate interview abort sequence

alternatively, I like heavy metal music and anime, that's what you wanted to hear about right???

Barudak posted:

Until I got to Japan I liked to ask candidates what about their work experience they most wanted to share that wasn't on their resume, but in Japan that triggers the flight response in candidates immediately so I've had to go about that another way.

That's actually a great question. If it's a mobile role I'd talk about the very early mobile work I did on Windows CE handhelds back in 2000, otherwise if it was an SDM role I'd go into my teaching experience and how it relates to team leadership.

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 13, 2022

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh no that’s not good. At one job I had they’d send trainers across the country to help instruct locations about a new process. They were cheaping out on hotels and multiple female trainers who would be traveling alone had safety objections and it would have been a few thousand to take them seriously and get better accommodations, as this was a booming MegaCorp. Or you can stick to the corporate travel policy probably not updated since the 80s, and your best trainers quit the company and immediately get better gigs and the impact of lower quality training and restaffing far exceed what it would have cost to meet their requests.

One of the things I will give the place I work at credit is they never cheap out on rooms when traveling. We acquired a company that was headquartered in a resort town, and they made arrangements to have us all stay in a resort.

I think the travel policy at work is "don't cause problems and make us create a policy."

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Barudak posted:

Care to elaborate? Always interesting hearing about different office cultures in different countries. Why is that question weird in Japan?

CitizenKain posted:

One of the things I will give the place I work at credit is they never cheap out on rooms when traveling. We acquired a company that was headquartered in a resort town, and they made arrangements to have us all stay in a resort.

I think the travel policy at work is "don't cause problems and make us create a policy."

My first job post grad school was the first one where I did any traveling for work. First trip, I booked a whatever hotel in the area and my manager at the time emailed me and told me to "book something nicer" because I was way under the travel budget. I've never gotten a similar email in my career and how my personal hotel preferences are more expensive than I'd like since I ended up traveling for work quite a bit before the pandemic

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 13, 2022

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Love these one-sided automatic replies:

quote:

"Our team will review your application and will be in touch if your qualifications match our needs for the role. If you are not selected for this position, keep an eye on our jobs page as we're growing and adding openings.

We appreciate your patience during this process.

In the meantime: play our games and learn more about <company name>!"

So you mean to tell me that if you don't like the look of my application, I will never ever hear from you again, but I should go out and do a bunch of research on your product on the off chance that I may hear from you... sometime?

And people wonder why I show open hostility towards the process as a whole.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

Barudak: "Can you tell me something interesting about yourself?"

Applicant:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SubnormalityStairs posted:

alternatively, I like heavy metal music and anime, that's what you wanted to hear about right???

Sure why not? First thing to check in any interview, has the candidate read thier own CV, lots haven't. Then, is what they wrote total bullshit. You wouldn't be at the interview if what's on you CV wasn't enough to get the job. So in essence the interview is only to show up reasons you should not get the job, not show why you should get it. I. E. Liking Anime too much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

Care to elaborate? Always interesting hearing about different office cultures in different countries. Why is that question weird in Japan?

Resumes tend to be long in Japan, like 3+ pages isn't rare and recruiters tell you not to make it one page. This means lots of candidates feel like they've been really thorough with what they've written, so asking them for even more triggers a "what the gently caress does this person really want from me/are they trying to trap me with not remembering everything on my resume?"

Also in general Japanese people getting interviews are very open with their flaws and thats been an adjustment. I had a person, in interview, tell me they were "really bad at [key job function]" and I was like buddy why are you interviewing then but like that kind of transparency (although usually less an issue) is super common.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

My first job post grad school was the first one where I did any traveling for work. First trip, I booked a whatever hotel in the area and my manager at the time emailed me and told me to "book something nicer" because I was way under the travel budget. I've never gotten a similar email in my career and how my personal hotel preferences are more expensive than I'd like since I ended up traveling for work quite a bit before the pandemic

The only time my current job has ever question my hotel choices was when they sent me to D.C. when all of the East Coast kids take their trip there. I ended up having to book a $400 room at a Hampton Inn. And it was more about being impressed I found a Hampton Inn room that pricey.

Travel policies really tell you a lot about how companies treat employees.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Hotels just make up the prices. Once my trip got extended, so I went down to the lobby and tried to add a few more days to my room. Turns out there was a big football game in town so they said they couldn't give the corporate rate (even though they had tons of empty rooms), I'd have to renew at like $200 per night. I said that price was over my corporate policy, so I'd have to call travel and get approval. They asked me what the max I could do was, and rung me up $10 below the limit. Still a bit of an upcharge, but $60 cheaper than what they'd said the minimum was.

Results may vary: I had easily 150 nights in that hotel so they kind of had a vested interest in not pissing me off.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The employee then died on his way back to his home planet warehouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

A company I was at brought on a new high level director. He flew somebody in for an interview, but

A) Didn’t inform anybody on his team about it
B] Didn’t show up to the office that day
C) Didn’t answer his phone

Any guesses on how long that director lasted?

Two loving years