Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

School of How posted:

I think it should. Not everyone who enrolls in training makes it through. The company loses if you flunk out of training. If I've already passed, then that risk goes away. If I leave the company after just a few weeks, the company is not out anything because they were never "in" on anything in the first place.

Around where I love, if you walk into a job interview with a self-paid type rating, you've got a 50/50 chance that they'll just tell you to gently caress off forever and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Something to think about...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone here knowledgeable enough to possibly explain how the crash in China could have happened? the wings just... fell off?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

actionjackson posted:

anyone here knowledgeable enough to possibly explain how the crash in China could have happened? the wings just... fell off?

There are 50 or so things that could have happened- pilot suicide, major mechanical failure, AP fault followed by loss of control. Generally, even if you’re knowledgeable enough to be able to connect some dots, you won’t get the whole picture until weeks later because most of the dots aren’t public yet

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

actionjackson posted:

That’s not very usual, I’d like to make that point clear

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I would make a joke about airplanes being held to "Very rigiorus aeronautical engineering standards" but it's a 737.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I was doing 145kn in a drat Diamond 40 into Charleston Air Base and the ATC told me to ”follow the two F-16s on final, maintain best speed” and I responded that the wings are gonna come off if I go any faster.

That’s my wing rip story.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

I would make a joke about airplanes being held to "Very rigiorus aeronautical engineering standards" but it's a 737.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Because you touch yourself OP

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
We all do

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

If you want a mechanical possibility, look at alaska airlines 261. Heres the mayday episode on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2A_fsx7prY

The elevators on a 737 work very differently from a MD-80 so it wouldn't be the same failure but it gives you an idea of the kind of mechanical failure that could cause this. The 737 series in general has a history of rudder issues, though thats been "fixed". But nobody knows right now.

edit: of course theres a mayday episode on the 737 rudder too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BklCXZq2anU

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 22, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, you just have to wait for some more clues to be revealed to even get a reasonable idea.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Arson Daily posted:

Because you touch yourself OP

"When a Goon touches their things, an airplane loses its wings!"

More seriously and for what it's worth, FR24's graphs showed a first massive descent, then a recovery and brief climb, before the second plummet.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

:siren: :nms: -- Source is New York Times. Video shows an airliner in flight going straight down, China Eastern Airlines Flight 5735. Does not show impact.

Don't watch it if you don't want to see that.

Can equipment failure alone do this? https://m.weibo.cn/status/4749509752789291#&video

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Yes. But,

a patagonian cavy posted:

There are 50 or so things that could have happened- pilot suicide, major mechanical failure, AP fault followed by loss of control. Generally, even if you’re knowledgeable enough to be able to connect some dots, you won’t get the whole picture until weeks later because most of the dots aren’t public yet

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I saw that post. With that angle, I dunno if the recorder boxes will be recoverable. In TYOOL 2022, these machines should really have real time data uplink of the same info in the boxes, no? If I can use Spirit Airlines wifi to look at these dead forums, one would think they could figure out reliable real-time uplink.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 22, 2022

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
A lot of data does get uploaded in more or less real time. As for the rest, collecting, processing, transmitting, recieving, and storing that data would be a royal pain. Every step of the process would need to be engineered, certified, installed, and maintained. Which is a lot of effort, time and money to spend on supplementing something with a <1 in 100,000,000 chance of being destroyed on any given flight.

For what it's worth ET302 hit the dirt at 450+ knots with a huge vertical component to its velocity and both it's FDR and CVR were able to be retrieved.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
https://twitter.com/teyrsethow/status/1506354346291834884

imagining the NOTAM for that place being all RWY 28 DEP MAKE LT TURN TO HDG 190 WI 500 FT OF RWY 10 THLD TO AVOID INTL BDR INCSN

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KodiakRS posted:

A lot of data does get uploaded in more or less real time. As for the rest, collecting, processing, transmitting, recieving, and storing that data would be a royal pain. Every step of the process would need to be engineered, certified, installed, and maintained. Which is a lot of effort, time and money to spend on supplementing something with a <1 in 100,000,000 chance of being destroyed on any given flight.

For what it's worth ET302 hit the dirt at 450+ knots with a huge vertical component to its velocity and both it's FDR and CVR were able to be retrieved.

Atlas Air 3591 was around 430 knots too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsSNr5DR840

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

KodiakRS posted:

There's a reason they're mounted in the tail when all the data they're recording is generated in the nose.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How plausible is this story?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MaliciousC...utm_name=iossmf

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Very.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

JFC that sounds like my airline

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Good for them.

I had a 135 operator years ago tell me I couldn’t upgrade to captain pay because I didn’t meet their time requirements. Fine, I’ll wait until I get to X, I still fly left seat and don’t have the liability on my ticket, whatever.

A big trip comes up with bad timing and they ask me to do it with a lower time SIC. Same bullshit, we need a team player! If you told me I couldn’t upgrade because they don’t need another captain yet I’d have bought that but now they’re losing trips because “sorry I don’t have the X hours you told me I had to have.”

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

My supervisor once refused to give me holiday pay for Labor Day because it "wasn't part of my normal schedule" even though he had paid me for Memorial Day and, per HR, it was OK for him to do because I didn't really HAVE a normal schedule.

Little did he know that, as I got the email rejecting it, I was standing next to a recruiter from Brickyard.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

aviation.txt

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

quote:

not to mention all the passengers who were pissed off from the extra wait who all were comped some credits with the airline for the trouble
This part's fake

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well, the passengers that called and complained might’ve. Though probably just miles.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

I had a 135 operator

Found your problem

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Alaska is purging their A320s, A321s, and Horizon's Q400s by the end of next year.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Alaska is purging their A320s, A321s, and Horizon's Q400s by the end of next year.
Seems like an interesting time to be going all Boeing. . .

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The airbuses all came from Virgin, right? They were originally all Boeing, they’re Seattle’s airline after all. Or, at least were.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, the passengers that called and complained might’ve. Though probably just miles.

They each got 100 dollars!

*as four separate $25 vouchers

**that can only be used on flights with the same airline

***purchased at full fare on the airline's own website

****only one voucher may be applied per trip

*****for a list of blackout days and other restrictions please read this 75-page PDF

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

The airbuses all came from Virgin, right? They were originally all Boeing, they’re Seattle’s airline after all. Or, at least were.
And Boeing used to be based in Seattle too.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Airbus thing isn't a surprise, but Alaska just spent several million dollars on new paint, interiors, and flight deck equipment for the Q400's last year, and was saying the airplanes probably had another decade of service as late as last week, so absolutely no one saw that coming.

Horizon claims parking the Q fleet is being done because of retention problems, but the announcement was handled so badly that they likely made the problem significantly worse, as there's now absolutely zero reason for anyone to apply to be a pilot at Horizon.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

azflyboy posted:

Horizon claims parking the Q fleet is being done because of retention problems, but the announcement was handled so badly that they likely made the problem significantly worse, as there's now absolutely zero reason for anyone to apply to be a pilot at Horizon.

Ooo dish!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

On Thursday, Horizon sent out an email at 4AM saying that they were parking the entire Q400 fleet in 18 months, and providing zero details beyond that. The 4AM timing is relevant since it coincided with an investor conference Alaska Airlines was doing in NYC, so this was a stunt to boost the stock.

The few details that came out later that day were that we were parking 32 airplanes (by late 2023), but only replacing them with 12 (by 2025), which means we're losing about 1/3 of our fleet. No details were provided as to how many airplanes the airline was supposed to end up with, or what bases may or may not exist.

The stated reason for parking the Q fleet was because of attrition, but as the plans stand now, the timing of the drawdown means that anyone we hire now will see their seniority at best be absolutely stagnant for 18 months, and it'll probably move backwards as Q retirements continue. Combining that with the fact that we fly a ton of 30-40 minute legs and have some serious flaws in our contract, there's basically zero reason for pilots to apply with Horizon for the next 12-18 months.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Why don’t they have a flow to Alaska yet? As far as I can see the only major appeal to work for Horizon/Alaska at this point compared to competitors is if you want to live in the PNW. That would at least guarantee some movement for pilots.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Two Kings posted:

Why don’t they have a flow to Alaska yet? As far as I can see the only major appeal to work for Horizon/Alaska at this point compared to competitors is if you want to live in the PNW. That would at least guarantee some movement for pilots.

We have "Pathways", which is kind of like flow, but Alaska isn't obligated to take everyone, and the requirements to go to Alaska can and do change whenever Alaska says they do.

They lowered the PIC requiment last year, but we all assume that's just so they can move the nephew of the Alaska CEO there, at which point they'll move the goalposts to try and stem the bleeding from Horizon.

Alaska is under the delusion that they're still the greatest airline in the history of anything ever, so a lot of people are doing Pathways, getting the 737 or Airbus type rating, and immediately bailing for Delta or United, and Alaska is baffled as to why this keeps happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Now JetBlue has made an offer to buy Spirit.

What the hell is going on?