Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

learnincurve posted:

Full stops and double spacing just means you got taught to use a mechanical typewriter at school.

Ugh, I deal with a lot of document writing and coordination between other people, and I hate it every time the older folks send me stuff with double spacing. I grew up right at the time where I goofed around on a typewriter as a kid, but computer word processing was around enough by the time that I learned formal writing that double spacing was no longer a thing. I just want to yell at everyone, you don't need to do that anymore! You haven't needed to do it for decades!
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
You guys remember when signing your posts was a thing?

Except here because you would get probation.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh, I deal with a lot of document writing and coordination between other people, and I hate it every time the older folks send me stuff with double spacing. I grew up right at the time where I goofed around on a typewriter as a kid, but computer word processing was around enough by the time that I learned formal writing that double spacing was no longer a thing. I just want to yell at everyone, you don't need to do that anymore! You haven't needed to do it for decades!
:negative:

This is another thing I only learned a few months ago. I've been double-spacing after periods my entire life, and not because I grew up on typewriters. It was how I was taught in like third grade and it just seemed like at no point did anyone tell me the rules had changed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I had an hour(s)-long argument with some kid on the gbs-fm IRC channel because they just would not admit putting double spaces in their Word document was not only not necessary but really loving stupid and bad if they wanted to have it professionally printed. Their arguments:

1) some American "Style Guide" told so (probably doesn't but what the gently caress does anyone care)
2) they wanted control over the size of whitespace in the hardcopy (obvious lie they made up because they didn't have actual arguments, also definitely doesn't give you any control over the size of whitespace unless you're having it printed in loving Courier)
3) the print shop are fine with it
3) I'm foreign

E: probably the same kid who was really sad about Savile dying and when I said he looked like a paedophile and I had no idea who he was, accused me of "dick-waving". Now there's something they could've posted ITT about some time later...

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Mar 14, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

credburn posted:

This is another thing I only learned a few months ago. I've been double-spacing after periods my entire life, and not because I grew up on typewriters. It was how I was taught in like third grade and it just seemed like at no point did anyone tell me the rules had changed.

It's the weirdest thing. I made it through college without it even being mentioned as a concept, even to say whether it was outmoded. I only noticed it on my own later on and had to figure out why it even existed as a standard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just checked my dad's (typed) candidate's thesis from 1972 and I was not expecting what I found: no double spaces but spaces before and after periods and commas. That's , like , hosed up . Never knew they did that .

E: a couple of reports he did in 1978 and 1979 in German have double spaces after periods but not commas. I guess it was a matter of who the gently caress typed it up. (Same University, same department, same professor, so you'd assume it'd be consistent but vOv)

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Mar 14, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I learned typing on a mechanical typewriter and don't remember double spacing at all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Double spacing is the proper way to do it. People who don't are just too lazy to hit the key a second time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

FreudianSlippers posted:

I learned typing on a mechanical typewriter and don't remember double spacing at all.

The thing is that the 1970s/80s/90s mechanical typewriters we used didn't need double spacing, but the older versions our teachers learned on did, so that's what we were taught.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's the weirdest thing. I made it through college without it even being mentioned as a concept, even to say whether it was outmoded. I only noticed it on my own later on and had to figure out why it even existed as a standard.

Yeah, same. I've asked around a little bit and I was told it went out of style in the mid-90s. :psyduck:

Why didn't anybody tell me?!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Having a double width space after the end of a sentence goes back long before the typewriter was ever invented. (You can go back to the 1600s and find typesetting guides specifying an em space instead of an en space)

However, technological limitations of teletypesetter machines introduced in the 1950s caused single spacing to be recommended when using them, because you could damage the machine or require a reprint when putting two spaces next to each other. (This was due to spaces being handled with 'spacebands' rather than fixed size type, so you could balance a line of text by uniformly increasing the size of spaces in it)

Boomers used this technology without understanding it. All they knew was that people would yell at them if they put in two spaces. They then internalized this arbitrary technological limitation as proper, and created a false myth to explain why their way was 'correct' and 'traditional'.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
On the subject of grammar, help settle an argument betwixt a friend and I:

(referring to some skis, poles, boots and gloves I returned on behalf of a friend to a rental place)

"Your equipment have been returned."

She says I'm wrong. I say it's a collective noun. She says it's an uncounted noun which is different, and in any case linguistically it's wrong because nobody talks like that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

credburn posted:

this is wrong

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

credburn posted:

(referring to some skis, poles, boots and gloves I returned on behalf of a friend to a rental place)

She says I'm wrong. I say it's a collective noun. She says it's an uncounted noun which is different, and in any case linguistically it's wrong because nobody talks like that.

She's right. You don't have "one equipment" or "two equipment(s?)," you have "some equipment," perhaps one or two "pieces of equipment" if you want to get specific about number. So it is, as she says, a uncounted noun. And uncounted nouns generally get singular verb conjugation. You wouldn't say "this water have a weird taste" or "this stuff are heavy," lest you sound like a badly-translated jRPG character from 1997.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

credburn posted:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this is wrong

DontMockMySmock posted:

She's right. You don't have "one equipment" or "two equipment(s?)," you have "some equipment," perhaps one or two "pieces of equipment" if you want to get specific about number. So it is, as she says, a uncounted noun. And uncounted nouns generally get singular verb conjugation. You wouldn't say "this water have a weird taste" or "this stuff are heavy," lest you sound like a badly-translated jRPG character from 1997.

What these other posters said, but also "betwixt" makes you sound like a prick.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Also should be "a friend and me" in that sentence.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Methinks it be so

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Baron von Eevl posted:

We use betwixt and mayhaps, because this area still uses middle English in day to day language. For reference, Sean Bean.

"is it now?"
"Aye mayhaps it is duc"
"eeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

English people sound like pricks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tunicate posted:

Having a double width space after the end of a sentence goes back long before the typewriter was ever invented. (You can go back to the 1600s and find typesetting guides specifying an em space instead of an en space)

There's also em dashes which were used fairly often in olde timey newspapers, they're double length dashes that represent an especially striking pause.
https://www.thesaurus.com/e/grammar/em-dash/

Baron von Eevl posted:

'Amongst' seems to set people off as well, which seems to be a cultural thing. It's fairly common here in Australia.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I had a “Business Skills” class in high school in 1985 which involved a lot of typing on IBM Selectric typewriters and we were taught to do the two spaces after the end of a sentence. Exams were reading a document projected on the wall and replicating it exactly without looking at the keys

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Hassler posted:

typing on IBM Selectric typewriters and we were taught to do the two spaces after the end of a sentence

This is just mean. Those machines do proportional spacing. You don’t need the double space for readability.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this is wrong

Baron von Eevl posted:

What these other posters said

I think maybe I might be right though.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

credburn posted:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this is wrong

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

credburn posted:

You just may be the lunatic I'm looking for

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gaius Marius posted:

Double spacing is the proper way to do it. People who don't are just too lazy to hit the key a second time.

No one who double spaces cares if you only use single spaces. But people who use single spaces will lose their loving minds if you double space.

This is the sole reason why I still use double spaces.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You know who else used double spacing?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No one who double spaces cares if you only use single spaces. But people who use single spaces will lose their loving minds if you double space.

This is the sole reason why I still use double spaces.

The forums (at least on Firefox) display double spacing as single.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I think the forums code just truncates multiple spaces down to one.

(e: or it might be the awful app code idk I'm not a computer toucher. My original post had six or seven spaces in between "multiple" and "spaces", and I can still see them when I edit this.)

code:

Unless you        put it in a code block

Phy has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Mar 15, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know other vBulletin sites always did that. I assume that code is still alive in old Frankenstein here.

Nonbreaking spaces             work too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phy posted:

I think the forums code just truncates multiple spaces down to one.

(e: or it might be the awful app code idk I'm not a computer toucher. My original post had six or seven spaces in between "multiple" and "spaces", and I can still see them when I edit this.)

code:
Unless you        put it in a code block

It’s overzealous and it fucks up other characters.

Here is a line with thin spaces.

Now with em spaces.

Even figure spaces get mangled.

78 0

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Mar 15, 2022

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

that's just how HTML works

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Red Metal posted:

You know, even though it's like only this year I learned double-spacing no longer is a thing, I should have inferred this the very first time I put together an Angelfire website in fuckin 1998.

__666 DIABLO KILLERZ 666__ will ever be under construction, a counter manually altered to look like there's more traffic, and with a guestbook filled with fake entries.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You know who else used double spacing?
My aunt Doris but I don't know how you know that or why you think it's relevant 🤷🏻‍♀️

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

My aunt Doris but I don't know how you know that or why you think it's relevant 🤷🏻‍♀️

Aunt Doris who lives in the Argentine and has a little moustache you're not allowed to make fun of.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Red Metal posted:

I was the dork who double-spaced all of the text on her first homepage back in late 1995.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Aunt Doris who lives in the Argentine and has a little moustache you're not allowed to make fun of.
She moved to Brazil ages ago

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tabs are superior to spaces anyway

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Text should be presented in spreadsheet form only, each word and space given its own cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Uploading the text for my posts as csv attachments from now on, just let everyone else decide on their preferred punctuation imo