Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is a 3rd gen Prius still the go to for a cheap (well, cheap for this market), low maintenance driving appliance? My sister's car (2008 Suzuki SX4) has just become salvage, and she's looking for something cheap and reliable to replace it with. She doesn't have high standards (see, Suzuki), can drive a manual, and wants something low maintenance and easy to park in Chicago (so, small).

She's hoping to spend something like $5000-$7500, which I realize is tough. We found a 2007 (so gen 2) 1 owner Prius with 100k miles in decent shape for $6500. That seems decent, but $6500 for a 16 year old car hurts (says the guy who hasn't had to look at car prices since pre-pandemic).

What are some other models we should be looking at? I realize at this range, the particular car and how it was cared for is more important than make/model, but I'd like to cast a fairly wide net, so some other suggestions are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
So I guess $1.3k market adjustment is the new normal on a new Nissan Pathfinder? Literally second sticker next to the window sticker?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

uwaeve posted:

So I guess $1.3k market adjustment is the new normal on a new Nissan Pathfinder? Literally second sticker next to the window sticker?

How fast do you need it? When I was shopping (not a Pathfinder), the options were dealerships that were either running markups over MSRP or dealerships that had you get in line for a few months.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I’m in line to get a Telluride at MSRP. Delivery ETA in 9mos. Cool.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Grumpwagon posted:

Is a 3rd gen Prius still the go to for a cheap (well, cheap for this market), low maintenance driving appliance? My sister's car (2008 Suzuki SX4) has just become salvage, and she's looking for something cheap and reliable to replace it with. She doesn't have high standards (see, Suzuki), can drive a manual, and wants something low maintenance and easy to park in Chicago (so, small).

She's hoping to spend something like $5000-$7500, which I realize is tough. We found a 2007 (so gen 2) 1 owner Prius with 100k miles in decent shape for $6500. That seems decent, but $6500 for a 16 year old car hurts (says the guy who hasn't had to look at car prices since pre-pandemic).

What are some other models we should be looking at? I realize at this range, the particular car and how it was cared for is more important than make/model, but I'd like to cast a fairly wide net, so some other suggestions are welcome.

Civics, Corollas, Mazda 3 are decent small cars available with manuals (if she still wants one) fuel efficient and reliable. In that price range though, you're probably stuck with stuff thats 10+ years old. Particularly in the plague times. It might seem like a kick to the crotch, but take the prius to a mechanic, have it gone over thoroughly and if the mechanic pronounces it good, then maybe you're best off just getting that. 100K on it is like "a lot, but not that much". Getting another hundred thousand out of it will be easy if she takes reasonable care of it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Grumpwagon posted:

We paid $6k for an 06 with 80k on it last year. I had to fly to Utah and drive it back but it's a clean old lady car and a perfect compliment to our 4 Runner and a second car. No rust. It was perfect timing because a few months later, good luck finding a decent, clean, and reliable used car for $6k with less than 200k in the Seattle area.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DNK posted:

I’m in line to get a Telluride at MSRP. Delivery ETA in 9mos. Cool.

A question that was raised by my friend, that I had never actually thought about until he mentioned it, is why are all the Hyundai C/SUVs are named after US cities - Santa Fe, Tucson, Kona - but they get the Palisade, and Kia gets the Telluride, when all the Kia C/SUVs are named after just stuff or stuff that sounds like stuff?
And now you can think about it too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

A question that was raised by my friend, that I had never actually thought about until he mentioned it, is why are all the Hyundai C/SUVs are named after US cities - Santa Fe, Tucson, Kona - but they get the Palisade, and Kia gets the Telluride, when all the Kia C/SUVs are named after just stuff or stuff that sounds like stuff?
And now you can think about it too.

Someone at the Hyundai HQ was carrying two folders, one named "New Hyundai Car Names" and the other named "New Kia Car Names." Said person in a hurry to get to the meeting where the car names were being presented and bumped into someone going the other direction, and all the papers went everywhere. They hurriedly tried to put the papers back but some inevitably got mixed up.

In completely unrelated news, introducing the new Hyundai Q4-ReportForDeb(Copy).xlsx!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KillHour posted:

Someone at the Hyundai HQ was carrying two folders, one named "New Hyundai Car Names" and the other named "New Kia Car Names." Said person in a hurry to get to the meeting where the car names were being presented and bumped into someone going the other direction, and all the papers went everywhere. They hurriedly tried to put the papers back but some inevitably got mixed up.

In completely unrelated news, introducing the new Hyundai Q4-ReportForDeb(Copy).xlsx!

HENNIMORE!!

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

https://www.colorado.com/cities-and-towns/palisade

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TIL...
I still think it should be the Hyundai Telluride and Kia Palisade. Especially since the Kia looks more evocative of a defensive wall.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Just looking to get a check on my thinking

Proposed Budget: ~$50k less is better.
New or Used: New
Body Style: Minivan? SUV?
How will you be using the car?: The stereotypical family hauler.
What aspects are most important to you? 6+ seats, Hybrid, 3rd row seating headroom. It would be ideal if a 5'10" person could sit in the back relatively comfortably. The two kids are currently in car seats and baby carriers. AWD would be nice. I'd prefer not to have 20" wheels.

I'm already looking at trying to get a Toyota Sienna XLE. Are there any other options?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

With that budget you might as well look at the Highlander hybrid awd and Kids Sorento awd hybrid too.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

c355n4 posted:

What aspects are most important to you? 6+ seats, Hybrid, 3rd row seating headroom. It would be ideal if a 5'10" person could sit in the back relatively comfortably. The two kids are currently in car seats and baby carriers. AWD would be nice. I'd prefer not to have 20" wheels.

I'm already looking at trying to get a Toyota Sienna XLE. Are there any other options?

Sound right to me, the Sienna would be my pick. You can cross shop other minivans if you want. The Honda is nice, and people like the Pacifica (I don't).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just curious how to think about our next car purchase.

Our current car in question is a 2017 Macan (purchased new in 2016) that's coming up on 6 years old, 133k miles. This car was a hand me down from my wife to me, and we're both driving significantly less now, so we're probably only putting 10-15k miles/year on it now. The car has been fairly reliable, with the only oddball thing being a turbo that had to be replaced twice (under warranty). Otherwise, we've just kept up on the regular maintenance schedule.

I was thinking about at least considering replacing the car next year (2023) when it'll have closer to 150k miles on it, but I'm wondering if that means I should start thinking about that car now, knowing it may be a year before whatever we get comes in. Am I crazy for thinking about that now, in early 2022? I'm beginning to think this current car supply situation is going to stretch in to next year.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

c355n4 posted:

Halfway serious but my uncle rocked a GMC Safari as a family car, have you looked at traditional 9 seater van? We used 9 and 15 passenger vans all the time in boy scouts. I guess the modern equivalent would be a Ford Transit Passenger. Passenger Van XL has an MSRP of ~44k, presumably the 9 seater would be cheaper

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Sound right to me, the Sienna would be my pick. You can cross shop other minivans if you want. The Honda is nice, and people like the Pacifica (I don't).

The Pacifica was the other minivan I was looking at. I'm biased against Chrysler though. What was your reason for not liking the Pacifica?

Hadlock posted:

Halfway serious but my uncle rocked a GMC Safari as a family car, have you looked at traditional 9 seater van? We used 9 and 15 passenger vans all the time in boy scouts. I guess the modern equivalent would be a Ford Transit Passenger. Passenger Van XL has an MSRP of ~44k, presumably the 9 seater would be cheaper

I actually semi-researched/looked at a Ford Transit Connect. Didn't really seem worth the money for what you get.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Residency Evil posted:

Just curious how to think about our next car purchase.

Our current car in question is a 2017 Macan (purchased new in 2016) that's coming up on 6 years old, 133k miles. This car was a hand me down from my wife to me, and we're both driving significantly less now, so we're probably only putting 10-15k miles/year on it now. The car has been fairly reliable, with the only oddball thing being a turbo that had to be replaced twice (under warranty). Otherwise, we've just kept up on the regular maintenance schedule.

I was thinking about at least considering replacing the car next year (2023) when it'll have closer to 150k miles on it, but I'm wondering if that means I should start thinking about that car now, knowing it may be a year before whatever we get comes in. Am I crazy for thinking about that now, in early 2022? I'm beginning to think this current car supply situation is going to stretch in to next year.
Sales inquiries are free besides your time spent. Supply constraints and whether they mean price or lead time problems are make and often dealer specific so it's not going to hurt to find out what their current sales model is. Do they have things you're interested in for purchase off the lot? If not, what's the factory turn around time from an order? Is there a difference in markup in either option? The answers to those questions now will tell you how early you might want to worry about it later.

They're going to press you to order or buy now but that's where your sales BS filter should kick in and predict what their response will mean in the 6 months-1year from now that you want to actually more seriously shop or place an order.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

c355n4 posted:

The Pacifica was the other minivan I was looking at. I'm biased against Chrysler though. What was your reason for not liking the Pacifica?

I'm biased against Chrysler as well.

2 folks in my extended family bought new minivans around 2013. Brother in Law bought a Sienna XLE, and his parents bought a fully loaded Town and Country. They both kept the vans about 6 years, and both put over 100,000 miles on them. The Sienna was in very good condition after 6 years and 100K+ miles. It held up really well both mechanically and on the interior. The Town and Country had trim pieces falling off, one of the side doors made a groaning sound like it was going to break and had to be assisted half the time, the transmission was making funky sounds/slipping, and the T&C just generally felt much cheaper than the Sienna. It wasn't a bad vehicle, it just wasn't a great vehicle. It never left them stranded, and they traded it in before any major mechanical issues happened, but I would buy the Honda or Toyota before spending the money on the Chrysler product.

Now this is almost 10 year old anecdotal data at this point, and by all recent accounts the new Pacifica is quite nice, but I don't trust the thing to hold up at all. If I'm dropping 40K or more on a van, I'm going to pick the Toyota or Honda over the Pacifica.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
Update; The dealer sent every document I need overnight. All good.

Edit: changing from a rant to a coherent question. Sent the same question to my lawyer.

The dealership was great. But we have another problem. The car has temporary Illinois plates. They are using ATC Automated Title Certificate Service to take care of registering the vehicle for me so that I don't need to stop by the RMV to drive the car. The temporary plates lasts 60 days and new plates should arrive in a little over a month.

The problem with this is that the state of MA does not honor temporary out-of-state plates for MA residents. To get around this, I drove my wife's (legally registered) Corolla to the RMV so I could register the Pacifica by transferring over the plates from my Pilot.

- I have a bill of sale, which includes proof of paying taxes
- I have proof of insurance
- I have a registration document signed by my insurance company
- I have a physical license plate that I wish to use, from another registered vehicle I wish to get rid of
- I have physical possession of the new car, which is in my driveway
- The new car has Illionois temporary plates
- I have information from the bank which holds the title during the course of the loan.

What I do not have is a certificate of origin. I'm unsure if the dealership is allowed to send me this certificate or not (ATC seems to belives they may not be). I am unsure of the laws and some laws seem to be behind a paywall (though I'm not sure if this is even the right place to look). The RMV will not allow me to register a vehicle without a certificate of origin.

My objective is to legally drive the vehicle as quickly as possible, with a car seat installed. Today if possible. Otherwise before my wife gives birth to our daughter (which may be as soon as next month)

Are there actionable steps I can take to make this happen?

edit2: Being bounced around various legal channels. You'd think this would be a solved problem, but nobody I've talked to thus far seems to know the specifics of the law. Looks like the next level of legal help will respond some time tomorrow because they are booked for the rest of the day.
edit3: After I explained the situation, my car dealer is overnighting the documents I need.

diadem fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 17, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Offer accepted :dance:

Now to arrange cross-country transport...

Cross country transport arranged. Hopefully arriving sometime before mid-april

Wired the guy three thousand miles away, five figures uh, 9 days ago, haven't gotten the title yet :ohdear:

Guy holding the title is ~79 years old so giving him some slack, but uh,

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Hadlock posted:

Cross country transport arranged. Hopefully arriving sometime before mid-april

Wired the guy three thousand miles away, five figures uh, 9 days ago, haven't gotten the title yet :ohdear:

Guy holding the title is ~79 years old so giving him some slack, but uh,

I hope things turn out alright. That's a gorgeous car.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You said you got an enclosed trailers transport company didn't you?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah. They've (enclosed trailer people) already contacted him and he acknowledged that by email about five days ago. I have a bill of sale with the vin and he's been running a shop from that site for a long time (did I mention the Panhard?) so I don't think he's going anywhere. He just recovered from covid so he should be immune for at least another three months. Took a week to get ahold of him the first time. Old guy gonna old guy, I guess. I hope

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so...my mom lost my prius' key fob and it'll take anywhere between $300-$600 to get it replaced, apparently :suicide:

i actually, thankfully already have a copy, so it's not so critical to get it replaced at the moment. however, these fobs come with an option to use the mechanical key if the fob itself dies, so i was wondering, do i actually NEED the fob itself? cause i was just thinking i could make mechanical copies of the key and just leave it at that.

unless i actually NEED the actual fob itself. so do i?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

You need the fob.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
To elaborate most (all?) makes with keyless fobs require the fob for ignition. A "dead" fob is just in near field mode and you need to hold it up to a near field reader, usually the ignition button, to start it up. The physical key just gets you in.

I don't know if I'm making this up or dreamed it but I at least want to recall that earlier versions for certain makes that did give you an ignition for the physical key made it an absolutely miserable process to use so I can't think of any way around the fob because in that case you are paying in time and frustration.

All of the above are why you have people out there wishing high end packages made keyless optional.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

All of the above are why you have people out there wishing high end packages made keyless optional.

Don't worry, your key will only be available as a phone app in a few years :)

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Find a local locksmith that does fob pairing. I got a replacement for under $150. Only works if you have an existing fob though.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I heard a story of a friend of a friend who bought a new Malibu that was missing several “chips” (control modules I guess) due to the shortage, so stuff like the electric seat recliner and bluetooth don’t function.

Are cars seriously being sold like that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yes, but it will be disclosed (nobody is getting tricked on this), and either you get a discount on purchase price or you get an agreement for the dealer to install various pieces when they become available, or both

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yes, but it will be disclosed (nobody is getting tricked on this), and either you get a discount on purchase price or you get an agreement for the dealer to install various pieces when they become available, or both

(Except Teslas, https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/02/07/tesla-cut-a-steering-component-to-deal-with-chip-shortage.html)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bouillon Rube posted:

I heard a story of a friend of a friend who bought a new Malibu that was missing several “chips” (control modules I guess) due to the shortage, so stuff like the electric seat recliner and bluetooth don’t function.

Are cars seriously being sold like that?

Like others mentioned, yeah they're being sold that way, and I think it's funny as hell.

There's an 80,000 dollar GMC Yukon Denali at the dealer down the road. This is on the window sticker

quote:

CREDIT - NOT EQUIPPED WITH -50.00
4-WAY LUMBAR; EQUIPPED WITH
2-WAY LUMBAR
CREDIT - NOT EQUIPPED WITH -50.00
STEERING COLUMN LOCK
CREDIT - NOT EQUIPPED W/ -50.00
FRONT/REAR PARK ASSIST/
REVERSE AUTOMATIC BRAKING;
INCLUDES LATER RETROFIT

I've seen other top trim vehicles being sold without features like wireless charging, or heated steering wheels and seats. Imaging paying 85,000 after taxes and poo poo for a brand new top of the line GMC Yukon Denali, and only having 2 way lumbar!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

drat those discounts are pathetic. I got $200 off my M4 because it didn't have wireless charging.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KillHour posted:

drat those discounts are pathetic. I got $200 off my M4 because it didn't have wireless charging.

I'm sure you can get it down more. They will install it later though

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://twitter.com/JosephPolitano/status/1505658168894009344?s=20&t=dzmjq121vSyoDeZBQyeVhw

If you look at the second graph, thing are finally starting to improve. Who knows how long it'll take, this is bad as it's going to get it but if you have a car you're trying to sell now is the time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

I'm sure you can get it down more. They will install it later though

News to me - BMW didn't offer to do anything about adding it. I suppose I could ask.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KillHour posted:

News to me - BMW didn't offer to do anything about adding it. I suppose I could ask.

Alternatively please sell me your non-wireless charging M4 :D Hell of a dream car for me, but I don't want to/can't spend the dollars.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

skipdogg posted:

Like others mentioned, yeah they're being sold that way, and I think it's funny as hell.

There's an 80,000 dollar GMC Yukon Denali at the dealer down the road. This is on the window sticker

I've seen other top trim vehicles being sold without features like wireless charging, or heated steering wheels and seats. Imaging paying 85,000 after taxes and poo poo for a brand new top of the line GMC Yukon Denali, and only having 2 way lumbar!

Am I reading that right and theiy're only giving 50 dollar credits for the stuff thats not included at the time?

I wonder if those things, once installed will be only covered by whatever is left of the factory warranty, or the full 3 years, 36,000 for (only) the items that were installed later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Alternatively please sell me your non-wireless charging M4 :D Hell of a dream car for me, but I don't want to/can't spend the dollars.

I could probably sell it for close to / over MSRP if I wanted to let it go, given the shortages.

wesleywillis posted:

Am I reading that right and theiy're only giving 50 dollar credits for the stuff thats not included at the time?

I wonder if those things, once installed will be only covered by whatever is left of the factory warranty, or the full 3 years, 36,000 for (only) the items that were installed later.

"Those were installed aftermarket so your seat controls are completely out of warranty now"
- GM, probably