Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it possible to buy russian stocks as an american?

If you can somehow open a Russian brokerage account, and fund it, sure

Might be able to do something similar in Belarus or Hungary, or China... Possibly Syria if they have a functional enough government to have a stock exchange, I'm sure there's somewhere in Africa that will take your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

pixaal posted:

So just a ton of Russian vodka then

Has that not been banned yet?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Girbot posted:

I've used DRIP for ETFs on Fidelity so it's probably specific to certain ETFs.

It may have something to do with JEPI's "dividend" being mixed in with distributions of premium received from writing options.

Automatically having your broker reinvest dividends is not a DRIP. The differences are mostly just semantics these days though since brokers will reinvest at no charge and have no problem with fractional shares (both things were uncommon not that long ago).

Per investopedia:

"DRIPs, which are also known as dividend reinvestment programs, give shareholders the option of reinvesting the amount of a declared dividend into additional shares, which are bought directly from the company. Because shares purchased through a DRIP typically come from the company’s own reserve, they are not marketable through stock exchanges. Shares must be redeemed directly through the company, also."

The difference is that if you tell Fidelity or whatever to automatically reinvest dividends, they are taking the cash dividend payment and buying the shares from the market. A DRIP program is run by the company (usually through an agent like Computershares), and you have to do all of your transactions through the agent.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Hadlock posted:

If you can somehow open a Russian brokerage account, and fund it, sure

Might be able to do something similar in Belarus or Hungary, or China... Possibly Syria if they have a functional enough government to have a stock exchange, I'm sure there's somewhere in Africa that will take your money.
My friend who is a card carrying communist and a history buff and scale model tank enthusiast among other things wanted to visit Russia about ten or so years ago. He applied for a visa, sent the money, and they just kept the money. He's chuffed about it, but knows that how it works sometimes.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

Thinking about it there isn't actually support at 0, see oil & erus

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Shenzhen locking down is not good for the global economy on top of everything else.... Especially if china can't get this under control again.

Futures are still green though, I think I'm gonna open more hedges tomorrow, especially if we have an up day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Me holding the bag as SoFi dips below $7.75, with no end in sight

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Hadlock posted:

Me holding the bag as SoFi dips below $7.75, with no end in sight

*taps thread title*

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Shoulda exited as it dropped after earnings.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking at all these notifications that my 4/18 $30c SOFI have increased 100% from $0.01 to $0.02 :allears:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Why's it dropping this time?!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's a Monday that starts with an even number

Edit: there's a lot of (probably not true) speculation that more established banks, in particular BoA are trying to bury SoFi as they're a valid competitor to legacy banks. Haven't read it yet but BoA's analyst rating of SoFi has been widely panned as self serving

Mostly I think fintech spacs are just being sorted with lots of momentum by market makers, but what the hell do I know I'm just the bag holder telling everyone not to take my advice since last June

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 14, 2022

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

movax posted:

Likely this according to my stocks app: Lockdowns Spread Across China as Race to Contain Covid-19 Outbreak Intensifies - WSJ

quote:

HONG KONG—Fallout from China’s race to halt its worsening coronavirus outbreak is growing as authorities order lockdowns and other restrictions across more of the country.

Foxconn, which produces some iPhones as well as iPads and computers in Shenzhen, said it would shift work to plants in unaffected areas of China to maintain production. Shenzhen’s Yantian port, one of the world’s busiest container terminals, remained operational, though one company said factory shutdowns and roadblocks between warehouses and the port could see shipments drop dramatically

Hope you like more COVID related volatility!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

movax posted:

China, Russia, Fed, etc

But if you want a more :tinfoil: answer:

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1503460927424933891?s=20&t=VDmKB_N6lX-oQPh4Saxf6w

everything is probably fine

Also I exited Sofi around $12 with a loss. Outside of my retirement accounts, I haven't had a position on for over a week.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

LibCrusher posted:

Shoulda exited as it dropped after earnings.

:hai:

The disbelief on Discord was delicious that day

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1503460927424933891?s=20&t=VDmKB_N6lX-oQPh4Saxf6w

Also I exited Sofi around $12 with a loss. Outside of my retirement accounts, I haven't had a position on for over a week.

This sounds suspiciously like “poo poo is about to hit the fan, please be prepared to collect from all the fools betting on margin”.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Reuters analysis appears to be "sec: buckle up, gonna be a bumpy ride"

https://archive.ph/hnHpB

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Hadlock posted:

It's a Monday that starts with an even number

Edit: there's a lot of (probably not true) speculation that more established banks, in particular BoA are trying to bury SoFi as they're a valid competitor to legacy banks. Haven't read it yet but BoA's analyst rating of SoFi has been widely panned as self serving

Mostly I think fintech spacs are just being sorted with lots of momentum by market makers, but what the hell do I know I'm just the bag holder telling everyone not to take my advice since last June

Congrats! You have made it to the “blame the MMs” stage of bagholding. Numerous people tried to warn you about deSPAC trash like this.

1) it’s just a dip, buying opportunity
2) i keep buying and it keeps dropping??? That’s ok, I’m a long term investor 💪
3) what is the short interest on this stock?
4) hedgies/MMS/shorts are keeping the stock price down, they are gonna get loving squeezed, time to buy more!!
5) I’m not going to keep throwing money at this forever……..
6) 🤮

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I hit #5 around noon today, averaged way down and topped out at an even 1000.0 shares, I'm done for now

If only someone had reached out at some point over the last 9 months and said something :psyduck:

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
https://twitter.com/SqueezeMetrics/status/1503097968240508928?t=m5tPSGsTxpfnwJkq4pPcow&s=19

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I hit #5 around noon today, averaged way down and topped out at an even 1000.0 shares, I'm done for now

If only someone had reached out at some point over the last 9 months and said something :psyduck:

Weren't chamath spacs basically just 2021 meme stocks?

Broaden your horizons, there are lots of ways to lose money in 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SoFi is still posting great growth numbers, market is not being kind to growth stocks for the foreseeable future though

Thinking I should rotate to 0 DTE SPY calls and putting a lot of my margin on AMZN ahead of the split

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

probably not a prediction, but a response to the insanity that's already happening with nickel trading on lme

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/chinas-tsingshan-agrees-standstill-agreement-lme-nickel-margins-with-banks-2022-03-14/

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Not TBT. Those calls have been doing just fine. Easy money this year

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hadlock posted:

yeah it's a mystery, if only anyone had commented on it repeatedly in this thread. alas maybe next time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like I've seen each stage of grief in this SoFi posting

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Gaius Marius posted:

I feel like I've seen each stage of grief in this SoFi posting

Is it from NDRA posting?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My only non-retirement/ostrich-in-the-sand positions are a couple hundo K of

HPE/HPQ
IBM
JNJ
PG

When it turns out the F-22 causes severe diaper rash I'll be a billionaire!!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dipwood posted:

SoFi is going to post record earnings in March and the stock will drop another 20%.

Remarkably accurate :golfclap:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Seems like China is getting blindsided by covid which has the potential to shut down factories and deepen the supply chain inflation crisis.

Is there any safe haven that isn't deeply exposed to this? lol.

Apple price has been teetering but if their factories get shut down that could be the thing that pushes it over the edge.

Boy maybe we shouldn't have moved all manufacturing abroad to this one country.

Remarkably Nintendo is a stock that has held up very well throughout the drama of this year, but given that China shutting down could impact Switch production even further, I may sell.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

GME is down to below 80 bucks, but buy buy!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
It's almost like the equity bubble was due to cheap interest rates driving rampant speculation.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
There's another evergreen boat stuck in a thing

This somehow means something for stocks (mine will be more red than yesterday, of course)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

a fatguy baldspot posted:

GME is down to below 80 bucks, but buy buy!

Don't give this thread ideas.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1503730130555965442?s=20&t=Y1fQlILfM897BfLAku9ETQ

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Nice! Divide by zero error.

Getting back into Xoom, cvx, slv.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Allegedly AMC is about to do something crazy? All the WSB nerds are all #MOASS about it rn.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mederlock posted:

Allegedly AMC is about to do something crazy? All the WSB nerds are all #MOASS about it rn.

They have apparently purchased a gold miner. CNBC is reporting it so I'm assuming it's just waiting on the ink to dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pixaal posted:

They have apparently purchased a gold miner. CNBC is reporting it so I'm assuming it's just waiting on the ink to dry.

The year is 2022, when I have to look up what kind of "miner" AMC bought.