Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
That's quite the URL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i'm not clicking that url

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i watched the wicker man last night and this is all i could think of when christopher lee was onscreen lol

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
that movie's great, probably my favorite film of all time. you go in expecting a cult horror film and then it turns out it's just a pagan folk opera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0yDRHDNWaQ

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

R.L. Stine posted:

i watched the wicker man last night and this is all i could think of when christopher lee was onscreen lol

EPSTINE

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

BasicLich posted:

that movie's great, probably my favorite film of all time. you go in expecting a cult horror film and then it turns out it's just a pagan folk opera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0yDRHDNWaQ

Why were movies so good in the 70s

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

god they were

i just watched Network again the other day

this scene guts me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vZv5uW8AE

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

because reagan hadn't been elected yet

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
if I wanted to see old people with relationship issues I’d browse e/n

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so i started reading Devil's Chessboard and its.... very purple and sensational, does that continue hard or does it kinda even out more into the tone of say CHAOS?

also what's the consensus on how truthful it is? i checked back a few things I read that were surprising and found them to be generally true, but some things are slanted in presentation it seems

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

smarxist posted:

so i started reading Devil's Chessboard and its.... very purple and sensational, does that continue hard or does it kinda even out more into the tone of say CHAOS?

also what's the consensus on how truthful it is? i checked back a few things I read that were surprising and found them to be generally true, but some things are slanted in presentation it seems

nah all of that is p much ironclad. if you find it purple or sensational, consider how much you were never told.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mdemone posted:

nah all of that is p much ironclad. if you find it purple or sensational, consider how much you were never told.

yeah i mean, it goes hard real fast w/ all the god damned nazi collaboration jesus christ

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

No thx

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

smarxist posted:

god they were

i just watched Network again the other day

this scene guts me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vZv5uW8AE

I think this scene is still the shortest screen time to win a best performance oscar

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Riot Bimbo posted:

I really like her music like oblivion is top tier pop but dang whats her deal

she grew up rich and then she got popular on the internet, guaranteed to have a broke brain

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

There is a sweet spot when the studios lost some control, TV was eating their lunch and they were making flops, and indie film came into new existence all while censorship in the US disappeared, creative ideas that weren't possible in the studio/censorship framework suddenly became possible (this was also culturally and technologically driven). and the film schools were training a really good new generation

But the studios learned and eventually the director centric system collapsed and studios regained control.

In film school it is, i think, universally said to begin with the incredible success of Easy Rider in 1969 and end with the incredible failure of Heaven's Gate in 1980. so yes the 70s were the decade of the director

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

the AIDS panic killed being horny

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Antonymous posted:

There is a sweet spot when the studios lost some control, TV was eating their lunch and they were making flops, and indie film came into new existence all while censorship in the US disappeared, creative ideas that weren't possible in the studio/censorship framework suddenly became possible (this was also culturally and technologically driven). and the film schools were training a really good new generation

But the studios learned and eventually the director centric system collapsed and studios regained control.

In film school it is, i think, universally said to begin with the incredible success of Easy Rider in 1969 and end with the incredible failure of Heaven's Gate in 1980. so yes the 70s were the decade of the director

the 70s were such a great decade for film, you got both Klute and The Long Goodbye, not to mention The Conversation

and some lesser movies

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

it all peaked with

https://youtu.be/F2GEKV1dOgY

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

skipmyseashells posted:

if I wanted to see old people with relationship issues I’d browse e/n

lol

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Gonna remind everyone to watch the official thread movie Mr Freedom (1969 dir William Klein) its just a fantastic movie.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

smarxist posted:

No, shits just that crazy. They were absolute sociopaths guided by the belief they were the good guys and what they were doing would defeat communism. The entire state of mind that they all fed into each other was that if they had to do all these awful things to defeat communism can you only imagine what sort of monstrosities the soviets are up to?

Admittedly the Soviets did the same thing but they just invested in bioweapons instead of mind control and lsd. The OSS and the CIA sold the soul of America, if it ever had one, and have destroyed the world.

Gumball Gumption has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Mar 13, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

smarxist posted:

the Guatemala section and all the dealings of the Dulleses with former SS officers is pretty well known and corroborated by multiple other sources, for example.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Bugger (2013)

Adam Curtis posted:

The case that really shocked Mrs Thatcher was the traitor Geoffrey Prime. In the 1970s he had worked at the top secret listening centre GCHQ and had been selling all it's secrets to the Russians.

And yet again it wasn't MI5 who uncovered his treachery - it was the local police in Cheltenham.

In 1982 a policeman came to his house enquiring about his car - a rather distinct two-tone brown and white Mk IV Cortina - a which had been seen in the vicinity of an assault on a young girl.

Prime told the policeman that he had been at home all day. But that evening he and his wife Rhona went for a drive to the top of Cleeve Hill. As they sat in the twilight Prime told Rhona that he was the man the police were looking for. And not only that, he was also a Russian spy.

Here is part of a very powerful interview Rhona Prime gave to the BBC where she describes that day - and what she then did.

Prime was a paedophile - and had used spying techniques to monitor the activities of thousands of young girls around Cheltenham. He had created a vast set of index cards which showed when the girls were most likely to be alone at home. He then went round to their houses in his two tone Cortina and sexually assaulted them.

Despite this Prime had been positively vetted six times.

Even the Russians got worried about his paedophile activities and seemed to want to dump him. In 1980 Prime had gone to Vienna to meet the KGB. Instead of meeting him secretly as they normally did, the Russians took him openly to the best restaurants where they knew Western intelligence agents would recognise them as KGB agents.

But even then noone noticed them - or Prime.

Prime's wife Rhona wrestled with her conscience - and in the end went to the police and told them everything about Prime. He was sent to jail for 35 years for spying and 3 years for the assaults on young girls - which says a lot about the priorities of the British establishment at that time.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

Gonna remind everyone to watch the official thread movie Mr Freedom (1969 dir William Klein) its just a fantastic movie.

nice, it's on criterion channel right now. gonna watch this later, :thx:

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

smarxist posted:

No, it doesn't change. I agree that the presentation is purple and sensational, and I find this is a genuine weakness of the book.

As others have said, it seems like it's pretty truthful and the broader strokes are all well-supported. I've looked up some of the endnotes and I didn't find things being twisted or taken totally out of context. But I did find times where it was really unclear which claims were coming from which source, or I found Talbot citing a secondary source when he really should have been doing the legwork of going to the primary source, and just generally small annoying stuff like that.

Tom O'Neill's Chaos is excellent because it explicitly and very carefully distinguishes what is established, what is contested, what is conjecture, and so on. Books by people like Lisa Pease or Peter Dale Scott will do the same thing, even if they don't make it such a central theme the way O'Neill does. By contrast, Devil's Chessboard mostly just kinda asks the reader to take things on trust, and it can at times conflate established, concrete facts with the interpretation of those facts.

I think the book is "good" and important—and again, the broad strokes are generally well-supported—but like you I'm not the biggest fan of the presentation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What the gently caress lol

https://twitter.com/postingwhilegay/status/1503547031213817861?t=cE3M1_q7bOhT10RqPx-xqQ&s=19

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

never read your hero’s manifesto

snaj
Oct 10, 2005
cant stop the beat
the worst part about this whole dorner situation? his 2016 clinton/christie prediction

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
He's just concerned about Chris Christie's health :unsmith:

And frankly the health of the nation if you read the rest of the manifesto

But yeah the shoutouts are some deranged psycho poo poo, the rest of the manifesto seemed empathetic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Julian Castro was the only one willing to take a swing at Biden's senility during a primary debate and then he got blackbagged for it right after

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Definitely typed up by CIA afterwards and you can't convince me otherwise

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

SorePotato posted:

Definitely typed up by CIA afterwards and you can't convince me otherwise

the CIA sounds rad where can I join

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Private Cumshoe posted:

the CIA sounds rad where can I join

try a dsa meeting

nut
Jul 30, 2019

https://twitter.com/aaschapiro/status/1503579441900888065?s=21

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHckeZoYx04

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

drat the usa owns

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

try a dsa meeting

is there a way that doesn't involve becoming an asset first or is that how everyone gets roped in

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

nightmarish

I'm also disappointed that the CIA didn't follow the "torture guidelines". do better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Private Cumshoe posted:

is there a way that doesn't involve becoming an asset first or is that how everyone gets roped in

I just assumed you weren't the offspring of a diplomat that spent their childhood in various european countries and then studied English at yale but you could try that