Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

loving crypto bros ruin everything.

L
O
loving
L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lol

Well at least it'll still 'work' in the meantime. Newpipe's alright for just watching but actually having the playlist/subscription/history stuff is nice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haha.

I only really watch stuff on my phone when cooking so I've been happy enough with just the adblock in Samsung's browser. If I could get a mobile browser with sponsor block, that would be that.

I have a cheapo Android head unit in my car, it works great, but I have some issues pairing some BT devices. Specifically an OBD2 dongle and a BTLE remote control. I was hoping to use the latter as a hardware remote, as the HU only has capacitive buttons which suck when driving. But it won't pair with these, there's a weird custom UI which detects the devices, but nothing happnes when I tap them.

Is there a way to bypass this and use either the normal Android bluetooth settings or some custom, 3rd party way to try to pair these?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Ugh

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If you're looking for a replacement for Vanced, Newpipe works great. Not sure if it has all the same killer features as Vanced does but I've been happy with it for a few years.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

cage-free egghead posted:

If you're looking for a replacement for Vanced, Newpipe works great. Not sure if it has all the same killer features as Vanced does but I've been happy with it for a few years.

I heard that you can't log in with your Google account to NewPipe. Is that true? I like having my history, ability to comment, etc.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I heard that you can't log in with your Google account to NewPipe. Is that true? I like having my history, ability to comment, etc.

Correct, it's a privacy-oriented app so no login.

Personally I just use the mobile browser when I want to actually log in to a social media site.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
For ad-free and screen-off playback, NewPipe does something that Vanced doesn't: you can download stuff. (You get a range of choices: video (webm) and audio, audio only, and your choice of resolutions/bitrates and in the case of audio only, codecs (m4a/aac or opus).) For stuff you need your account for, eh just use the official app or a browser I guess. Less convenient obviously, but it's not that big of a pain to switch back and forth between apps.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 14, 2022

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Correct, but you can export your subscriptions and save your history but it doesn't tie back to your account, obviously. The download ability was the big draw for me, as well as getting away from Google services as much as I can.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

mobby_6kl posted:

I only really watch stuff on my phone when cooking so I've been happy enough with just the adblock in Samsung's browser. If I could get a mobile browser with sponsor block, that would be that.

Firefox Nightly on Android supports add-ons, you may want to look into that. I have it running with uBlock Origin + Sponsorblock and it works great if you're okay with watching YouTube on the browser.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

Correct, but you can export your subscriptions and save your history

Hmm... explain further please. I'm not sure what that even means, as I've never done anything of the sort.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Hmm... explain further please. I'm not sure what that even means, as I've never done anything of the sort.

I could have sworn that it had the ability to just import subs from an actual account but I might be mistaking it with something else. Or I'm blind.

In the settings though you can choose to have your watch history and search history saved.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can use Google Takeout to download a JSON of your subscriptions, and NewPipe can import that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can do anything you want in the actual YouTube app and I guess at any point share a video to NewPipe to actually watch it. That seems vaguely cumbersome and your play history wouldn't be stored on your account, but it definitely works otherwise.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Weaponized Autism posted:

Firefox Nightly on Android supports add-ons, you may want to look into that. I have it running with uBlock Origin + Sponsorblock and it works great if you're okay with watching YouTube on the browser.

Definitely don't need the nightly. Beta supports add-ons, and I wouldn't be surprised if the release channel does by this point.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

hooah posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the release channel does by this point.

It does. I was using it plus a handful of add-ons (inc. ublock) for a number of months without issue.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

What's the best to-do list app?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Is there an app to automatically move old pictures and videos from a phone to a computer?

My dad keeps filling his phone storage regularly and he doesn't have the aptitude for connecting the phone to a computer and manually transferring the videos. It would be useful if the app could do the transfer over house wifi, the internet connection is slowish 4G.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You can set up both OneDrive and Dropbox to backup individual files when the phone is on WiFi.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I use DropBox, but I haven't noticed a feature where it would delete the files from the phone.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Saukkis posted:

I use DropBox, but I haven't noticed a feature where it would delete the files from the phone.

I'm 90% certain Google Photos does that on my phone, but I actually can't remember if it's a Pixel system level feature or Google Photos itself. I also can't find that setting now, even though I'm confident I saw it previously.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

incogneato posted:

I'm 90% certain Google Photos does that on my phone, but I actually can't remember if it's a Pixel system level feature or Google Photos itself. I also can't find that setting now, even though I'm confident I saw it previously.

Oh yeah, it does have the "Free up device storage", but of course his Google Drive has been filled by photos since forever and he has enough money problems without adding upgrading Drive storage, I would probably need to pay it. To make this solution work conveniently it would probably need the 2TB subscription to have room for his full photo collection, I would loath to pay that much just to solve this silly problem. I might be willing to set up a Nextcloud server, but I haven't seen evidence the Android clients can do the automatic moving instead of normal syncing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Saukkis posted:

Oh yeah, it does have the "Free up device storage", but of course his Google Drive has been filled by photos since forever and he has enough money problems without adding upgrading Drive storage, I would probably need to pay it. To make this solution work conveniently it would probably need the 2TB subscription to have room for his full photo collection, I would loath to pay that much just to solve this silly problem. I might be willing to set up a Nextcloud server, but I haven't seen evidence the Android clients can do the automatic moving instead of normal syncing.

I solved the issue for my dad doing the same kind of stuff by getting the basic google one subscription. It's 1tb and $20/year. If it had cost more I'd have done some tedious bullshit with a Pixel 1 as an in-between file uploader due to the unlimited google photos uploads they have.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rexxed posted:

I solved the issue for my dad doing the same kind of stuff by getting the basic google one subscription. It's 1tb and $20/year. If it had cost more I'd have done some tedious bullshit with a Pixel 1 as an in-between file uploader due to the unlimited google photos uploads they have.

According to their website the $20/year plan is only 100GB. You might have got an earlier pricing tier?

https://one.google.com/about

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

According to their website the $20/year plan is only 100GB. You might have got an earlier pricing tier?

https://one.google.com/about

I guess so or I just misremembered, I just walked him through it because he was hitting his 15GB free tier cap all of the time.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
What's the best mp3 player app these days?
I don't mind if I have to pay for it, I just want to set up a simple playlist.

(Yes I have Spotify, but I'm thinking of exiting their ecosystem).

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

the_lion posted:

I use VLC for this purpose, and it does a pretty good job. It's been a while since I sampled other apps, but I found VLC was the best about paying attention to mp3 tags. It has no problem accessing my NAS, and the interface is better than the desktop app would have you expect.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

the_lion posted:

Always has been and always will be Poweramp.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Always has been and always will be Poweramp.

Yeah, I still use Poweramp myself. It just works.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've been using Pulsar. It seems to work fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use MediaMonkey because that's my main computer app and it makes sense, but it's not exactly the best Android app (a little old and not perfectly enabled). It just mostly works decently because my desktop app and phone app are the same.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

the_lion posted:

May I ask why you wish to exit Spotify? I can't imagine going back to fiddling with downloading, organizing, and moving music.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Toast Museum posted:

I use VLC for this purpose, and it does a pretty good job. It's been a while since I sampled other apps, but I found VLC was the best about paying attention to mp3 tags. It has no problem accessing my NAS, and the interface is better than the desktop app would have you expect.

I also use VLC, and it meets my needs well. Setting up playlists is a little clunky, although I might just not be doing it right. It also plays nicely with the Bluetooth car stereos I've used it on, and I can control it from my smartwatch.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I use Poweramp for local music and plexamp for (host-your-own) cloud. They both have Android Auto apps if that matters.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Thanks for the solid suggestions everyone!

Pvt. Parts posted:

May I ask why you wish to exit Spotify? I can't imagine going back to fiddling with downloading, organizing, and moving music.

Different user case. I really only listen to the same music every day, it's also $10 less a month. My playlist is relatively small, so I'd only have to fiddle with organising once and then I'm done.

Spotify was good when I listened to podcasts all day but I no longer really do that either.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What on earth was Vanced? I never heard of it and I'm online constantly.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

VelociBacon posted:

What on earth was Vanced? I never heard of it and I'm online constantly.

an app to watch youtube without ads

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does it give you anything over paying for YouTube music?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i mean, it doesn't exist anymore but it was for youtube in general and also it was free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Alternatives: https://gist.github.com/SkyyySi/1b621c7c20ae7e0865a8ac428156c1cf