Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I pay $70/month for liability only
:negative:

Hot drat where do you live? I live in California, which I'm told is one of the most expensive states in the US to insure a motorcycle in, and I just got a quote for less than this for comprehensive insurance. ($435/yr if anyone wants to tell me if that's a good deal or not)

Edit: Also, hi again Newbie thread goons! I got my gear purchased and I'm trying to buy a Rebel 500. This market is not very buyer friendly.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Yep, I'm trying to upgrade to an MT07 and used ones are going for as much as new ones (which don't exist).

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

unimportantguy posted:

Hot drat where do you live? I live in California, which I'm told is one of the most expensive states in the US to insure a motorcycle in, and I just got a quote for less than this for comprehensive insurance. ($435/yr if anyone wants to tell me if that's a good deal or not)

It's in the right ballpark. I'm paying $184/yr through California Casualty for 50k/100k liability and a $500 deductible on comprehensive collision, but that's with a pretty much ideal situation. Multi-vehicle discounts, book value around $4k and not classed as a sportbike. Prices probably vary widely depending on whether they class something as sportbike or a common theft target.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

unimportantguy posted:

Hot drat where do you live?

BC. Scary thing is that I get a 50% discount for having a good record, so new riders would paying twice that amount.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Woof, man. I'd heard ICBC was expensive. Out in AB I'm paying around 450/year on the Rex, though that's the best I've found so far by a good margin.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Best thing is that it's scaled by displacement!. So I'm paying the same for my GSXR as I did for my Guzzi, despite the GSXR having more than twice the power.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Best thing is that it's scaled by displacement!. So I'm paying the same for my GSXR as I did for my Guzzi, despite the GSXR having more than twice the power.

A dark corollary to this is the registration costs here.

Learner-legal 45hp SV650: is over 600cc, you pay $650/year.

120hp CBR600: is 599cc, you pay ~$500/year.

These costs are meant to scale with the size/speed of the bike because they're supposedly paying for motorcycle riders' higher injury rates. It's literally cheaper to own a 600 supersport than a KLR.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Prices seem arbitrary. I was quoted far less for the Harley I bought than any of the ADV bikes I looked into.

Such a blatant scam.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar
The insurance situation in Canada is just garbage. When I went to register my CL350, all of the places but one told me it was too old to insure as a normal road vehicle, and they only offered historic vehicle coverage, which requires an appraisal and also limits you to like 200 km a year or some poo poo. This was for a 1971 Honda, not Lawrence of Arabia's Brough Superior. No thanks.

The one place that did agree to insure it, I mentioned to the agent how weird it was that nobody else would do it. She cheerfully said "oh, that's how it works with motorcycles! We do the old ones but we don't insure sport bikes, and this other company does those sport bikes but not old ones, and so on." So yeah just telling me outright that they have a little anticompetitive racket going. Sweet.

Then, even after they agreed to insure it, they would only offer liability coverage -- too old to get any damage coverage of course -- and it was still 1800 dollars a year for a 40 year old 350cc standard. I was a new rider but still. drat. I even asked if I could get six months of coverage to save some money, since I wouldn't be riding it in the winter -- "oh, no, we account for that and it's already priced in." So I guess if you could ride year round it would be $3600 instead. I paid 600 dollars for the bike. Lmao

Just a total racket.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 17, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Here is how the yearly bill is split by months for my bike insurance.
I usually put away my street bike in late october, and get it on the road again early march, so cancelling and reactivating it would save me 5%, not worth the hassle as I would have to turn in and pick up the plates physically in person if i wanted to deregister/reregister it over the winter.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My 2018 Fireblade is 727 CHF fully comp. But there are a lot of no claims discounts going on in there.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Picked up my bike today after having new Rosso 3s fitted. I had to sign a paper that "new tires a slippery be very careful we're not responsible something something" lol. Took it around my regular routes and was cruising pretty easy but holy smokes these feel better than the stock dunlops!

Initial feelings:

The bike feels lighter and more flickable (pirelli profile working here i assume).

The bike seems to handle broken pavement better. We have a ton of expansion cracks in our roads because the desert is a hellish place to be a road and over a particularly lovely section that I typically have to ride through, the bike felt more composed.

I did some emergency stopping and the brake distances seem shorter (will have to go out to a parking lot to confirm) and just more effective. Grippier compound probably working here.

Excited to take these up the mountain this weekend.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I did a thing! :supaburn:

I really enjoyed the ride home! First time on a bike in about 15 years. It felt so nice.
Now I need a cover and ooo maybe some saddlebags and and and...

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

:nice:

E-P
Apr 21, 2016

unimportantguy posted:

I really enjoyed the ride home! First time on a bike in about 15 years. It felt so nice.

Niiiice. Love the look of these.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Congrats!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I love how the new Rebels just look like a piece of light industrial machinery with no frills.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

unimportantguy posted:

:hellyeah:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Those dont come in green here but it's a great colour for them.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Got out for some practice today and I am definitely feeling the muscle memory come back, but I also definitely need more practice. I'm way too timid in curves, I'm instinctively death-gripping the handlebars to the point that I can feel my fingers start to go numb after a while, and my low-speed maneuvering needs work. It seems like the only thing I retained perfectly was the ability to ride in a straight line lol.

This is getting awfully chattery on my part, maybe I should take it to another thread?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

No way dude, this is exactly what the newbie thread is for. I've had my bike for two years and I still like most of my riding talk should go here.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Everyone always needs more practice, the more consistent the better (several times a week for short stints is better than one long weekend one etc).

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

unimportantguy posted:

Got out for some practice today and I am definitely feeling the muscle memory come back, but I also definitely need more practice. I'm way too timid in curves, I'm instinctively death-gripping the handlebars to the point that I can feel my fingers start to go numb after a while, and my low-speed maneuvering needs work. It seems like the only thing I retained perfectly was the ability to ride in a straight line lol.

This is getting awfully chattery on my part, maybe I should take it to another thread?

Find a big empty parking lot. In addition to braking drills (detailed here and there throughout this thread, maybe search my posts?), try this:
Get up to a slow but stable speed in a straight line, like 15-20 or so mph in 3rd gear. Fast enough that the bike will hold itself up costing in a straight line. Let off the throttle, 3rd gear should let it coast without too much engine braking. Now lighten your hands on the bars so they’re barely touching, and while you coast, introduce a wide turn using as little pressure as possible. Do it again the other direction. Maybe do some wide gentle weaves. The point is to get a feel for how little input it takes to make the bike turn. Make more turns, both directions, tighter and tighter with the goal of gripping as lightly as you can to make a confident and stable turn.

The strength with which you grip the bars should never be any more than it takes to initiate and maintain turns, plus enough to confidently operate brakes, clutch, and throttle.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

so ive owned my 09 kawasaki ninja 650r ER6F for a full year now

i would say i enjoy this motorcycle. it looks meaner than it is. but a proper launch this thing hauls rear end.

i have no idea if it handles any good but it seems decent. very good in city handling. ive been on it every day without snow. even rode it in -2C days when it was no precip. im on metzler M7.

i did a mini road trip last year on it and planning a bigger one for this spring to visit my brother. gonna do a nice 4 day trip.

i have total faith in my little ninja.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

numberoneposter posted:

i have total faith in my little ninja.

As you should. It’s a Good Bike™️

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

There was a little bit of rain this evening and I had to ride home from work on wet roads, but the Rebel handled it like an absolute champ. I'm really starting to feel like I can trust this machine.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
One of the good things with playing around on ice and snow with studs or knobbies in mud is that you realize how much traction and grip you actually have with normal street tires.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Had my first drop on the motorcycle. Zero mph, slipped in some gravel while parking. The only time I dropped my last scooter was while parking on some leaves that were slicker than I thought.

Crash bars did their job and there’s nothing but a nick in one of those and a little less paint on the mirror. And now I know I can pick it up on my own, so that’s good.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Good to hear it was a harmless tip over!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Frame slider pegs have saved me a couple times so far, that's awesome you got no damage!

I dropped my 400 recently when I was in a hurry unloading it at the end of a track day and the peg caught 99% of it, I got away with a small scuff on the exhaust (dropped it exhaust side on a decline in front of my garage...)

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The weather has been unseasonably fine so I've been riding a bunch lately on my CBR300. The roads are still dirty with gravel and grit in places so I've had to be careful but I think I can say that my new pirelli tires are finally scrubbed in. It took a few little skids to get here but not more drama than I was comfortable with. They seem like really good tires too, I look forward to clean and dry summer roads on them. Looks like winter weather is coming back next week so it will be a while.
I also went out of town for a funeral and a very kind and generous relative let me borrow his yamaha XT660R for a ride. I had borrowed gear and regular shoes plus it was cold and dirty and sometimes wet but it was a good experience and really fun in the timespan between becoming somewhat comfortable with the bike and getting hands numb from cold. That thing really encourages you to ride like an rear end in a top hat, but at slow to moderate speeds. I can see the appeal of a motard for sure. I think I will want to own one at some point.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I need another motard

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Had my first actual rain ride on this Rebel last night (after the "wet roads" ride a couple weeks ago). Bike handled it like a champ despite both the rain and a bunch of fairly fresh new asphalt all over the roads near my home. This thing rules and I love it more every day.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 29, 2022

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Rebel biek best biek :hfive:

My youngest sister who is 21 wants to get into bikes now and was looking to sign up for the BRC…apparently it’s almost $350 for the course now, which is nuts! It was like $150 when I took it in 2011, and $175 when I took it again in 2017!

E: still worth it obvs, and I told her I would foot the difference since she was expecting it to be like $250. I’d rather she take the course and have some extra cash to put toward decent gear

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 29, 2022

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

I don't care what slavvy says, I'm still bitter I can't buy one of these.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Coydog posted:

Being a newbie I have nothing remotely similar to compare it with. I just know is it was fun and exciting for the short time I rode it, but I pretty much feel that way about all motorcycles at this point. It felt like a weird mix of a pretty refined chassis of a sort I've never experienced before coupled with an engine that felt rough-hewn and brutal compared to anything else I've tried. I guess maybe all big thumpers are like that, I wouldn't know.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

pastor of muppets posted:

Rebel biek best biek :hfive:

My youngest sister who is 21 wants to get into bikes now and was looking to sign up for the BRC…apparently it’s almost $350 for the course now, which is nuts! It was like $150 when I took it in 2011, and $175 when I took it again in 2017!

E: still worth it obvs, and I told her I would foot the difference since she was expecting it to be like $250. I’d rather she take the course and have some extra cash to put toward decent gear

Check the MSF website and see who provides the courses in your area. We have one organization that charges $359, but they have like a private facility etc so lots of overhead, but also a community college and another org that are under $200.

https://www.msf-usa.org/Default.aspx

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

When did I tell you not to get a Yamaha...?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hard to believe but true. You used words like "don't meet your heroes" while telling me what a poo poo bike the 660SM was. TBF you could have been lying to me out of kindness, which I appreciate if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Speaking of yamahas, is there any reason not to keep the mt07 on the short list of second bike candidates?
I'll almost certainly stick with the cbr300r all of this coming season and ride it every chance I get but I know in my heart that the urge for something a bit more peppy will become impossible to resist eventually. It seems to come highly recommended, and I like that it's small and light though I've only sat on one and never ridden it. I also think it's ugly as sin but that's secondary at this point.