Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I don't know if this thread is really, uh, a good barometer for culture as a whole. Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

There's a lot of hostility towards "pranks" in this thread.

And with good reason, most if not all of the ones posted here are horrible nasty things that border on personal abuse.

But I will defend pranks, because there is no need for them to get such a bad name. A good prank is something fun, done to tease a friend. A joke that can be laughed at, even by the "victim" because no true harm was meant and no true harm was caused.

To use a silly ye olde school example, the unscrewing of the top of a salt shaker. Yes, the victim's meal is ruined, but a goo dhumoured prankster would allow the victim to eat half of their meal, or pay for a replacement, or make it up in some other way. Because as said before, a prank done properly is teasing between friends. People who actually like each other and mean each other no ill will. A sensible chuckle is had, and everybody moves on. Or, (and this is very important), if the victim is actually angry/sad/humiliated, then the pranker will apologize to their friend. Because as said, no harm was meant, and they do like each other.

Where this goes wrong is when arseholes see good people doing that amongst themselves and go "I can do that". But miss the point severely, and inject their arseholery into it. Also their pranks are maliciously designed to cause harm, to actively humiliate and embarrass people who expressly don't like it.

To use the example I used before, an arsehole version of that prank would be to replace the salt in the shaker with diarrhea, and when the victim pours the diarrhea onto their steak, instead of going "whoops, lets all laugh together at your mild inconvenience." as would have happened above, go "Haha, you now have to eat poo poo and possibly get an infection. You look poorly in the eyes of everyone else and thus I look better. I find this hilarious, and will act aggrieved if you don't pretend to laugh."

In short, the problem is not pranks themselves, but the arseholes doing them

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dazerbeams posted:

The family is definitely horrible for the way they treat OP, but the woman also admits she's unable to express herself without the use of her music. Are ALL of her interactions with her family based on what she's playing? If performing is her only personality trait, I could see how that would get old fast. Was the wedding the final straw where OP couldn't be at someone else's special day without somehow shoehorning in her piano playing? Maybe I'm too used to reading stories where the OP is in fact oblivious to how obnoxious they're being. This thread gets to you after a while.

tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if the OP has begged her family for money at least a few times now. For all she tries to give the impression that she's made a proper career, she can't even afford like fifty bucks or whatever for a wedding gift to her sister; that's not a sustainable lifestyle by any measure. Her family all constantly telling her to get a real job would kind of make a lot of sense in that context, as well as them all being fed up with her going on and on about music and refusing to wake up and be realistic.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

a good prank is when you're out to dinner with friends and then you're like oops gotta go to the bathroom and then you sneakily pay the dinner bill

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

BrigadierSensible posted:

To use a silly ye olde school example, the unscrewing of the top of a salt shaker. Yes, the victim's meal is ruined, but a goo dhumoured prankster would allow the victim to eat half of their meal, or pay for a replacement, or make it up in some other way. Because as said before, a prank done properly is teasing between friends. People who actually like each other and mean each other no ill will. A sensible chuckle is had, and everybody moves on. Or, (and this is very important), if the victim is actually angry/sad/humiliated, then the pranker will apologize to their friend. Because as said, no harm was meant, and they do like each other.

This is is the worst prank possible to chose, it's always lame, it wastes food, you have to wait longer for your food while everyone is eating, etc.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Olewithmilk posted:

This is is the worst prank possible to chose, it's always lame, it wastes food, you have to wait longer for your food while everyone is eating, etc.

Yes. Don't gently caress with people's food.

A good prank is taking a small sticky note, drawing a crude penis on it, then sticking it over someone's mouse sensor. When their mouse doesn't respond they hoist it aloft only to be greeted by a phallic treat which is instantly removed, no harm is done. Everybody smiles.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

A good prank is one that you know your 'victim' will laugh at too. The Jackass guys do stuff that is flat out abuse if done to people who aren't up for it but they do it to their buddies who are all just planning something equal and all laugh at it. Context is the key and one that the youtube 'prank' types miss out on which is how you end up with just flat out abuse stuff happening with 'just a prank' as justification.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Someone I hang out with often was explaining how he and his chums like pranking each other, I asked what level of abuse he thought was funny, like pissing in their coffee, or stuff like that?
Oddly, he's never tried pranking me since then, not does he drink any coffee when visiting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also Jackass is TV entertainment. They know they're being filmed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mx. posted:

a good prank is when you're out to dinner with friends and then you're like oops gotta go to the bathroom and then you sneakily pay the dinner bill

Or climb outside through the bathroom window

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also Jackass is TV entertainment. They know they're being filmed.

Yeh I was mostly referring to poo poo like Impractical Jokers, where they do just actually wander out into public and harass people

Anyway we all know the most harmless prank is the 'something on your shirt' nose flick....or is it???

https://youtu.be/1t24XAntNCY

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my wife that her dad sucks?

quote:

Good evening, AITA. I (30M) come to you from the dog house to share my story.

My wife (30F) and I have a son who is turning one in a couple weeks, and we are having a large birthday party for him where we're renting a hall and getting catering. Should be a fun time!

Background info on FIL: (65ish M). He used to live close to where we live now. He moved to a different state when he retired from his career (about 6 hour drive away) and now works at a fast food restaurant just for funsies and to have something to do. He's also divorced from his wife and lives with my wife's stepmom.

My wife invited her father a little over a month ago. Today she told me that her dad probably won't be coming because he couldn't get someone to take his shift at work. I took it a bit personally that he wouldn't be attending, and I told my wife that I don't believe him. I thought he was lying and he just didn't feel making the trip because he doesn't actually care. My wife was defensive of her father and said I was an rear end in a top hat for accusing him of lying.

Now before we get to judgments, here are my pieces of evidence that make me believe he's a liar:

1: He spelled my name wrong on a handwritten package he mailed to us. Not just like one letter wrong. Egregiously wrong! I have an international name that most people aren't used to, but I've been with my wife for like 7 years! We are friends on Facebook as well.

2: He sends my wife some pretty garbage gifts for her birthday. Usually just old possessions that my wife used to own as a child that he finds in his storage. Like literally old dolls or books.

3: He's only ever visited our son one time when he was about 3 months old. He dropped in for like 30 minutes when he was visiting the area to meet other family. Nothing really else besides that. My wife calls him periodically but he mainly just talks about himself. Never asked to face time or anything like that with our son.

4: My wife told him about the party two months prior. I'm finding it hard to believe he couldn't find a person to cover his shift with that much advance notice.

So my question to AITA is this: Was my list enough evidence to be reasonably suspicious that he's a liar, and if so, was it right for me to bring up with my wife/was I the AH?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Great prank : switching the bluetooth dongles of coworker's mice.

I want to know how guy broke two arms in a prank.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

AITA for kicking my friend out over "gamer talk"

Please leave the spoilers until the end I beg you

quote:

I (35m) [my girlfriend] May (35f). My best friend, Andre (35m) is the best man. Fake names.

First, details. May is a huge anime and gamer nerd. Like, huge. We're all gamers, but she has like every system under the sun and loves playing video games, including the retro ones like Tetris and Sonic. She's also into MMORPG like FFXIV and JRPGs like the Tales of Series and games like My Time at Portia and Animal Crossing.

May and Andre have always gotten along, but they never actually hung out near video games together. I had him and two of our other friends over for a couple beers and cigars. Andre heard May turn on her Switch, and he asked if she had Super Smash Bros. She said yes, and Andre said, "Let me show you a thing or two" in a joking manner. I warned Andre that he was going to get thrashed, to which he made the comment, "Girl gamers don't scare me." No, May did not hear him.

Well, May suited up with Yoshi, and she annihilated all of them without trying. They asked her to change characters. She went to Young Link then Peach then Jiggly Puff then Roy and lastly, her favorite character, Ness. Creamed all of them. Now, I'll admit, my friends have short tempers with gaming. I could see they were frustrated, so I proposed we do something else. Everyone except Andre was done with the games. He proposed they play Tetris (free on the Switch and already downloaded).

And, once again, Andre lost. Hard. Like, extra hard. Painfully hard. To put it short, he got completely thrashed. May won 1st place in 2 player every game. Andre stopped playing and they all went home afterwards, annoyed. I don't think May noticed.

Later on, Andre and my friends invited May to a game of Rainbow Six. May gladly accepted and chose her favorite, Frost. They played the private party matches and she basically was always the last one standing. May told the guys she was going to take a bathroom break and put her headset down. I asked May if I could play the next round. She agreed and I put on her headset only to hear my friends talking trash about her. They were saying things like "why are girls such try hards" and "she's good at gaming but I bet she couldn't make a sandwich".

Now, they didn't know I was there so I spoke and told them to shut up. Andre laughed and said they were 'just joking' and I said that's not funny and what if May came back and heard them? He said it's just 'gamer talk' and I said it wasn't. Andre told me I was being an rear end and dragging down the group. He also told me they wouldn't be talking smack if I told May to stop trying so hard. Long story short, after an argument I kicked Andre out of the wedding.

I turned the PS4 off. When May asked why it was off, I said the others got off, but I didn't tell her what they said. Our friends were saying I was overreacting and they didn't mean it, but I honestly don't care. It just made me so mad. AITA? Did I overreact?

Edit: I do plan to tell May what happened. This only happened last night, and she's at her moms right now. I plan to tell her tomorrow.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 15, 2022

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Kuiperdolin posted:

Great prank : switching the bluetooth dongles of coworker's mice.

I want to know how guy broke two arms in a prank.

Probably lurking in a tree waiting to jump out and scare someone or gallon smashing or some other kind of shithead thing.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for sleeping in the guests room and locking the door after my boyfriend kept tampering with my alarm and causing me to miss work?

Wouldn't it be easier for OP to just keep the door to the guest room locked all the time and sliding under it when she wants to go to bed? You know, because she's a doormat.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Yes. Don't gently caress with people's food.

A good prank is taking a small sticky note, drawing a crude penis on it, then sticking it over someone's mouse sensor. When their mouse doesn't respond they hoist it aloft only to be greeted by a phallic treat which is instantly removed, no harm is done. Everybody smiles.

Hey, that is a pretty good prank.

A few years ago, a friend housesat for me for a while. When I came back, for the next few weeks, I would find magic cards hidden in increasingly obscure places: inside a pillowcase, taped on the bottom of a drawer, in the phonebook, etc. I found those cards for years, until I moved out of the place. A really good, wholesome prank.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my wife that her dad sucks?

You know, like certain types of terminally online people feel the need to find something Morally Objectionable in an entertainment product to justify their dislike of it so they can claim to be doing so for righteous reasons, a lot of the characters in r/relationships land seem to feel they need to present like, evidence with names and dates before they are allowed to dislike someone.

It's common, normal, and perhaps even healthy to hate your father-in-law at least a little bit. I'm sure he sucks because like bosses, everyone's father-in-law sucks, but everything he does may not demonstrate evidence of this.

Like, gee, I can't imagine why a 65 year old man doesn't want to go to another state to visit an infant who was born in 2021. Who the gently caress would ask to facetime with a baby? And maybe he didn't think going to a 1 year old's out of state birthday party was something he would add to his social calendar 2 months out or ranked it below working a shift at McDonald's (which honestly is kind of a lateral move, at least this way he's making ~50 bucks.

Again, addressing the package wrong is probably just naked racism and/or a power play and the gift thing sounds lovely but you're allowed to just dislike people without building a case against them to prove why you're allowed to. The father in law, by virtue of being a boomer, probably sucks, but it seems like OP is kind of reaching on some of these. Maybe since he's divorced he needs the income and isn't flipping burgers just for fun, but lies about it due to misplaced pride? Or maybe he just doesn't want to go and is polite enough to know to lie about it. It's a 1 year old's birthday party. No one wants to go to those.

Also, unless there's something actionable OP wants his wife to do, like in the posts where someone needs to cut contact because their parents are religious freaks or repeatedly try to break into their house to kidnap the kids or have a discussion with them about smoking around their pets or whatever, what is the point of saying "your dad sucks" to your wife? She definitely already knows OP hates her dad, and he's not telling her to call him on his lie, so what is his actual ideal outcome? For her to admit her dad sucks? Again, due to sunk cost, that will probably never happen.

I can't put my finger on it, even though I ultimately probably agree with OP, this post had a bunch of loose poo poo in it that really bugged me.

massive spider posted:

Pro spoiler use. Not the heated gamer language I was expecting:

r/relationships: My DOTA with Andre

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 15, 2022

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

massive spider posted:

Yeast mode got owned

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The best prank I ever heard of was played on my former boss. Her group of friends had organised a trip for her birthday and they somehow managed to convince her that the trip was going into space. That they were going to get on a plane and do a low-orbit thing for a few hours so she could float around and stuff. She bought this completely and was very excited, only to find out that no, she wasn't going into space. But it was fine because they still went skiing and had an amazing holiday and she tells it as a fun story instead of feeling bad. Almost as if pranks should be kept among people who care about each other and completely understand everyone's boundaries and what will be upsetting!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Lots of tiktok/youtube pranks are staged, that's the real problem. Idiots like the OP's boyfriend is cackling to himself all the time while doing these pranks to an audience of 1.

Even then there's a lot of stuff that's going on beyond the clip. Some of those pranks they lie like crazy to the victims who want to be in a viral video and then do some hosed up poo poo borderline abuse stuff. Said victims have the choice to either accept it and go along and maybe get some viral clip fame or burn their bridges with a popular content creator (so a black mark in the business)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

The best prank I ever heard of was played on my former boss. Her group of friends had organised a trip for her birthday and they somehow managed to convince her that the trip was going into space. That they were going to get on a plane and do a low-orbit thing for a few hours so she could float around and stuff. She bought this completely and was very excited, only to find out that no, she wasn't going into space. But it was fine because they still went skiing and had an amazing holiday and she tells it as a fun story instead of feeling bad. Almost as if pranks should be kept among people who care about each other and completely understand everyone's boundaries and what will be upsetting!

I played a prank on my mom years ago when we went to SeaWorld; I had bought a beluga experience (go behind the scenes stuff) for her, didn't tell her, but said there was a cool limited seating feeding at the Artic Exhibit and I really really wanted to see it. She agreed we would, I bought the park tickets, we had a nice trip over, and when we got there, I directed her to the sign in place; she didn't understand why she had paperwork for a this but didn't realize it was for a behind the scenes thing until the lady at the check in kiosk told her. I didn't get one for me because this was her birthday present, but drat the look on her face when she realized what it all entailed and how she'd get in the water and swim with a few of the belugas, she cried. Still have the pics somewhere.

AITA for turning my husband's gaming room into an office?

quote:

My husband is out of job, has been for months now and doesn't have any money cause he spent it all on gaming gears and animals. I'm the breadwinner right now and recently was given a work from home job. We have 2 kids that understandably make a lot of noise so there's not a quiet spot in the house except the bedroom, but my husband refused to let me work from there and said that 1* it makes me look unprofessional, and 2* he doesn't want to be restricted from this space. I asked if he'd let me take his gaming room and turn it into an office temporarily, he said no. I had a fight with him and ended up moving his gaming stuff jnto the bedroom. He found out and lost his temper. I told him he left me no choice especially after I offered a compromise to share the room, but since he plays at random times he said no. He kept yelling at me calling me irresponsible and a dictator, I firmly told him that is part of the house, that is too my space but he said "no no no!!! Your space is the kitchen" this pushed me to lash back at him and he left but said by the time he got back, everything needed to be put back.

He came home drunk so I didn't wanna fight with him, he then kept ranting about wanting his room back even after I tried to convince him to play in the bedroom all he wants. Yet he's not having it and wants the "atmosphere" his gaming room has. AITA for this or is he being unreasonable? I'll give him the room back if it turns out that I'm the AH. Okay.

ETA some clarification:

A. When he said my space is the kitchen, I think what he meant is that I control everything there, from decoration to appliances and I spend more time there compared to him.

B. He used to contribute in a lot of things when he had a job, he used to pay for the kids needs and handle bills and groceries, while I handled other things. He makes sure to remind me about how much he used to do everyday and tends to bring it up in every argument. He's not happy with losing his job but circumstances are uncontrollable.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

All of these stories about long term unemployed deadbeats need pointing out that we are in a historically hot job market. Someone who needs the money but can't find work now finds the work available beneath them, isn't actually bothering to apply, or is so toxic that they can't fake their way through an interview. I would guess it's usually the last one.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
A few years ago, I took care of a friend's cats when he was traveling. I left a lovely MP3 player set to play a song he hated every hour or so under his bed, with the volume set low enough to be barely audible. He did not agree that the night was gonna to be a good night.

AITA For expecting guests to dress nice to a show

quote:

Ok backstory, friends and I are seeing Hamilton soon and we got the tickets in October. When we got the tickets I made it clear that I would like us all to dress nice and fancy because we never get the opportunity to and I thought it would be fun.

Everyone agreed, I can’t confirm whether it was an enthusiastic agreement because it was so long ago but we all said yes.

Flash to now and I told everyone that I was made aware that dress codes aren’t really a thing for shows anymore but I would still like to dress prim and proper for pictures also I paid $600 for the tickets I can’t go in jeans

Two people the two who invited themselves but that’s a separate issue have said they wouldn’t be dressing nice because of what I said and said that if I wanted them to look nice that I would have to pay for their fits because they can’t afford it.

Now here’s where I may be rude, person a goes to college for free and has a pretty nice allowance by her mom because she doesn’t work, I don’t like to speak on peoples financial issues but it is what it is.

Person b has a full time job and lives rent free with person a.

Once again, plans were set in stone in Oct. ‘21

I told them I wouldn’t have them in photos in that case because I would like my scrapbook page to look nice and it would be weird if half of us looked well-dressed and the other half looked well, dressed.

Person b thinks I’m being ridiculous and person a claims they don’t care, everyone else is staying out of it

So AITA for telling them I wouldn’t have them in the photos?

EDIT: Just so I don’t sound that ridiculous I’m not asking for a suit and tie and a dress, really just a button down and slacks and same for the girl if she doesn’t want a dress

EDIT 2: This has nothing to do with social media at all I am not trying to look good online, it’s just for my personal book

EDIT 3: I am paying for everyone, sorry I didn’t make that clear

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

welcome to hell posted:

A few years ago, I took care of a friend's cats when he was traveling. I left a lovely MP3 player set to play a song he hated every hour or so under his bed, with the volume set low enough to be barely audible. He did not agree that the night was gonna to be a good night.

uhhh

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for turning my husband's gaming room into an office?

quote:

doesn't have any money cause he spent it all on gaming gears and animals.

hold on, what?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for taking a major financial decision without the input of my fiacée?

quote:

This is going to be a long post with a lot of background info so please bear with me.

Before I(32M) was born my mom found out that my bio father was cheating. They started on the divorce proceedings before she found out she was expecting. When she told him he said that was impossible since he was infertile and she must have cheated.

He asked for a paternity test but she was emotionally exhausted (I now suspect he was abusive but she never told me so), so she asked instead that he sign away his parental rights since he was so sure that I wasn't his. Then she moved in with my grandparents.

When I was 14 I asked her about him and I wanted the full story, she told me what I wrote above and me being the immature teen boy that I was threatened to run away unless she contacted him (I thought then that she was just being petty and if he had proof I was his kid he would be a dad)

When she did he sent this really hurtful letter to both of us, calling her a lot of names that make my blood boil and accusing her of trying to bleed him dry of his money. That was the day I decided that I don't need him at all.

Fast foreward to about 8 months ago, I guess he had a near death experience and tried to contact my mom to apologize for what he did, of course she refused but he managed to get a picture of me. I am like his clone.

He contacted me saying that he was wrong and immature and that he wanted to get to know the only kid he had in this life. I refused.

Then he started trying to bribe me to interact with him (offering to pay for my student loans, offering to get me a house, inviting me on expensive trips...) I refused everything.

I told my fiancée (F29) everything, and she was supportive at first, then she started to urge me to get him to pay off our loans and help us get a home. I refused categorically. (It is relevant to mention that due to the pandemic we have a lot of debt and we delayed our wedding just to pay some of it down)

I got fed up and asked him to meet, then I told him that I will never accept a cent from him, and if he tried to contact me again I would be calling the cops and doing my best to get a restraining order.

When I told my fiancée she exploded on me, said that me making that big a financial decision without consulting her showed her just how controlling and selfish I am. Now she left and won't answer my calls.

So AITA?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

welcome to hell posted:

AITA For expecting guests to dress nice to a show
OP is an rear end in a top hat for buying tickets to Hamilton. Jeans are nice enough to wear to the "Well my name is Dave and I'm here to say" quality rap musical.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 15, 2022

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

pentyne posted:

hold on, what?

you know, gaming animals

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

pentyne posted:

hold on, what?

Just picturing a stack of fifty Game Gears and a beanbag Teddy bear that fills the entire room

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

All of these stories about long term unemployed deadbeats need pointing out that we are in a historically hot job market. Someone who needs the money but can't find work now finds the work available beneath them, isn't actually bothering to apply, or is so toxic that they can't fake their way through an interview. I would guess it's usually the last one.
hey, interviews are hard, I have no skills and also they ask about my greatest weakness :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Soylent Pudding posted:

Imagine going through all that soap opera drama just to summarize it with this title

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Invisible Clergy posted:

A few years ago, a friend housesat for me for a while. When I came back, for the next few weeks, I would find magic cards hidden in increasingly obscure places: inside a pillowcase, taped on the bottom of a drawer, in the phonebook, etc. I found those cards for years, until I moved out of the place. A really good, wholesome prank.

I had a friend who found this claw-machine supplier website where you could buy small plush toys in bulk. She bought 50 plush frogs for like .50¢/each. At first, when friends were over she’d ask them to grab something from a cabinet or w/e and you’d open it to an avalanche of frogs. Then she made a game of hiding frogs when she was at other peoples houses (like inside pillowcases, inside their freezer, under couch cushions). It was very silly.

She had an ongoing joke with some friends where they had a small ceramic pig they’d similarly hide in increasingly obscure places at each other’s’ homes. It was basically a game of hot potato.

I like those kind of pranks; they actually get funnier as they go along because the “victim” catches onto the pattern so the hiding spots have to get more obscure. And the retaliation is fun too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The best petty employer abuse stories are when it's blatantly illegal and anyone in his actual management chain (which a team lead is not) would immediately shut it down if they caught wind of the liability the dumbass OP was putting the store on the hook for.
AskAManager recently did a "What's the tiniest amount of power you've seen someone abuse" series.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

AskAManager recently did a "What's the tiniest amount of power you've seen someone abuse" series.

Wasn't that the guy put in charge of the "make a gingerbread house" project for the office? Was demanding weekly meetings to update everyone on the 'project' and getting super angry when people didn't immediately respond to his question emails.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

OP is an rear end in a top hat for buying tickets to Hamilton. Jeans are nice enough to wear to the "Well my name is Dave and I'm here to say" quality rap musical.

:jerkbag:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

massive spider posted:

:discourse:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pentyne posted:

Wasn't that the guy put in charge of the "make a gingerbread house" project for the office? Was demanding weekly meetings to update everyone on the 'project' and getting super angry when people didn't immediately respond to his question emails.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Years ago I was working at a place that decided to start doing a potluck lunch every Friday and the woman in charge took it seriously enough that HR had to get involved and the company had to ban such events after the deviled egg incident.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think it's the last one.

When I was unemployed I spent three hours a day, five days a week looking for jobs. That included writing cover letters, searching for the jobs, reaching out to contacts, interviews, all that stuff. There was one week where I had at least 11 interviews, including five in one day (I do not recommend this btw; I was wrecked by the end of it). It doesn't seem like a lot but it did keep me from being burnt out from the job process at least, and gave me some structure so I had the rest of the day to do what I wanted (usually playing FF14).

If you can't find someone willing to interview you, chances are you're not really trying. That's not to say that there's not people out there who try hard and get poo poo on, but manchildren like this aren't employed because they're pretty toxic people and aren't trying.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Invisible Clergy posted:

Like, gee, I can't imagine why a 65 year old man doesn't want to go to another state to visit an infant who was born in 2021. Who the gently caress would ask to facetime with a baby?

A lot of grandparents would want to see more of a baby. My folks asked to FaceTime our kid before he was one pretty much weekly, and that didn’t sound unique in my circle.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

When I was searching for jobs in IT right after getting out of the military last year (despite being a nurse and having only entry level certs) I had at least a 75% interview offer rate once I had a decent resume it was insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Years ago I was working at a place that decided to start doing a potluck lunch every Friday and the woman in charge took it seriously enough that HR had to get involved and the company had to ban such events after the deviled egg incident.

My love for deviled eggs is deep and abiding, I must know what happened