Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ironically, deviled eggs are the kind of eggs that God himself lays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
AITA for getting mad over what my daughter chose after she humiliated me and uninvited me from her engagement dinner party?

quote:

Hi! (Not from the US/UK.)

My daughter (30F) is a successful engineer. She cut contact with me the minute she turned 18 and only began talking two years ago. This has obviously hurt me a lot and made a lot of my family members disappointed in her. Now a days, whenever I have to talk to her I've to tiptoe around her and not comment on her dresses or makeup or career or lifestyle otherwise she simply reminds that she can and will stop talking to me, the only reason why started being her father's death. I only commented on those things during her teen years because she had a lot of potential and I didn't want it go waste. I wasn't harsh at all, like she claims.

Recently, she got engaged to her boyfriend(31M) of 8 years and decided to throw a dinner party to her near and dear ones at their own house. She let me invite a couple of my relations (she told me around 5-6 people only) but since I've lot of people I'd like to share this milestone with I did go a little overboard in inviting (10-13). This clearly was an issue, apparently, because the restaurant in their apartment and the poolside allow only 18-20 people max at such events and my relatives were majority of them, leaving no room for their friends or boyfriend's family.

She sat down and made me uninvite everyone instead of giving a simple excuse as to why they couldn't come and this experience was very humiliating for me. I told her that she was being rude and she told me that she'd specified how many people form my side were allowed and that she was 'very generous' that she even let 'such' people to share something joyous with her. After this, she told me not to come to the party and told me to stop ignoring her 'instructions'. I feel disrespected that someone younger made me lose face and acted as if I didn't know how all these places worked. They would've accommodated, worst case.

AITA?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My love for deviled eggs is deep and abiding, I must know what happened

hawowanlawow posted:

ironically, deviled eggs are the kind of eggs that God himself lays

Joanne was the processing manager and she put about four pages worth of information about the potlucks up in the break room, including a list of dishes that weren't allowed. There were a few items on there due to allergies, but the majority was food that she just didn't want anyone making. One Friday a new employee brought deviled eggs despite them being on the list as she was apparently unaware. A few jokes were made when she put the platter in the fridge and we figured that was it. Fifteen minutes before lunch people go into the break room to heat stuff up, etc. The deviled eggs are gone. She naturally starts asking around if anyone has seen a big platter of deviled eggs and the answer from everyone is a variation of "In the fridge." Except Joanne. She just kept smiling and saying "What deviled eggs?" and acting as though she had no idea what the woman was talking about. It was so loving weird that nobody could bring themselves to say "But we all saw deviled eggs" for the first few minutes. We didn't get to find out how long the gaslighting would have continued because another employee showed up with the platter of deviled eggs still wrapped in cellophane but squashed, found in a trash can at the back of the warehouse. At that point Joanne looked the woman right in the eyes and said "Deviled eggs? Are you loving kidding me?" and left for the rest of the day. And that was how potlucks found their way into the employee handbook of things that aren't allowed.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Joanne sounds like an awful human being

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

welcome to hell posted:

AITA for getting mad over what my daughter chose after she humiliated me and uninvited me from her engagement dinner party?

Narcissism is a beast, man

quote:

Now a days, whenever I have to talk to her I've to tiptoe around her and not comment on her dresses or makeup or career or lifestyle otherwise she simply reminds that she can and will stop talking to me, the only reason why started being her father's death. I only commented on those things during her teen years because she had a lot of potential and I didn't want it go waste. I wasn't harsh at all, like she claims.

"I wasn't harsh at all, I just said that clothing made her look fat and the makeup made her look like she's a whore. Is that so bad? I was only giving my opinion; she didn't have to take it!"

I do enjoy, however, that the daughter knows she has the power and is wielding it like a drat queen.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

welcome to hell posted:

Estranged parents really do all work from the same script, don't they?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Narcissism is a beast, man

"I wasn't harsh at all, I just said that clothing made her look fat and the makeup made her look like she's a whore. Is that so bad? I was only giving my opinion; she didn't have to take it!"

I do enjoy, however, that the daughter knows she has the power and is wielding it like a drat queen.

The daughter who, by the way, is a successful engineer and seems to be doing really well in life. Guess her dying her hair or whatever the mom harassed her about didn’t get in the way of her “potential” after all!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The daughter who, by the way, is a successful engineer and seems to be doing really well in life. Guess her dying her hair or whatever the mom harassed her about didn’t get in the way of her “potential” after all!

ummm, what? that would mean that she had value independent of how i score her on the axes of stuff i like and care about. quit talkin crazy. what, am i just supposed to support her in the fields of achievement SHE chose? be happy if SHE'S happy??

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

But it was all for nothing, because mom didn't get to celebrate mom's achievement in parenting with mom's friends!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BrigadierSensible posted:

There's a lot of hostility towards "pranks" in this thread.

And with good reason, most if not all of the ones posted here are horrible nasty things that border on personal abuse.

But I will defend pranks, because there is no need for them to get such a bad name. A good prank is something fun, done to tease a friend. A joke that can be laughed at, even by the "victim" because no true harm was meant and no true harm was caused.

To use a silly ye olde school example, the unscrewing of the top of a salt shaker. Yes, the victim's meal is ruined, but a goo dhumoured prankster would allow the victim to eat half of their meal, or pay for a replacement, or make it up in some other way. Because as said before, a prank done properly is teasing between friends. People who actually like each other and mean each other no ill will. A sensible chuckle is had, and everybody moves on. Or, (and this is very important), if the victim is actually angry/sad/humiliated, then the pranker will apologize to their friend. Because as said, no harm was meant, and they do like each other.

Where this goes wrong is when arseholes see good people doing that amongst themselves and go "I can do that". But miss the point severely, and inject their arseholery into it. Also their pranks are maliciously designed to cause harm, to actively humiliate and embarrass people who expressly don't like it.

To use the example I used before, an arsehole version of that prank would be to replace the salt in the shaker with diarrhea, and when the victim pours the diarrhea onto their steak, instead of going "whoops, lets all laugh together at your mild inconvenience." as would have happened above, go "Haha, you now have to eat poo poo and possibly get an infection. You look poorly in the eyes of everyone else and thus I look better. I find this hilarious, and will act aggrieved if you don't pretend to laugh."

In short, the problem is not pranks themselves, but the arseholes doing them

I get your point but I think that the audience needs to be considered as well. I have a friend who expressly considers pranks a betrayal of trust; to do something like this to her would be tasteless, at best.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeh I was mostly referring to poo poo like Impractical Jokers, where they do just actually wander out into public and harass people

Anyway we all know the most harmless prank is the 'something on your shirt' nose flick....or is it???

https://youtu.be/1t24XAntNCY

IJ is like, the borderline for me, because usually the joke is on one of the guys, but I will say that the fact that Joe's left the show and conicidentally a whole bunch of his skits were pulled off of HBO Max has made me reconsider a bit.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Joanne was the processing manager and she put about four pages worth of information about the potlucks up in the break room, including a list of dishes that weren't allowed. There were a few items on there due to allergies, but the majority was food that she just didn't want anyone making. One Friday a new employee brought deviled eggs despite them being on the list as she was apparently unaware. A few jokes were made when she put the platter in the fridge and we figured that was it. Fifteen minutes before lunch people go into the break room to heat stuff up, etc. The deviled eggs are gone. She naturally starts asking around if anyone has seen a big platter of deviled eggs and the answer from everyone is a variation of "In the fridge." Except Joanne. She just kept smiling and saying "What deviled eggs?" and acting as though she had no idea what the woman was talking about. It was so loving weird that nobody could bring themselves to say "But we all saw deviled eggs" for the first few minutes. We didn't get to find out how long the gaslighting would have continued because another employee showed up with the platter of deviled eggs still wrapped in cellophane but squashed, found in a trash can at the back of the warehouse. At that point Joanne looked the woman right in the eyes and said "Deviled eggs? Are you loving kidding me?" and left for the rest of the day. And that was how potlucks found their way into the employee handbook of things that aren't allowed.

if i made a tray of deviled eggs and someone squashed them, then tried to hide the act, then had the audacity to act like they were the victim, there'd be some fuckin poo poo going down, what the christ

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

welcome to hell posted:

Guessing the "those people" line and the fact the OP is friends with so many of them goes a long way to explain why the daughter cut contact at 18.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The best prank is when you agree to prank a stranger for a TV show, and then discover that you just committed a political assassination and you're under arrest for murder.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Halloween Jack posted:

The best prank is when you agree to prank a stranger for a TV show, and then discover that you just committed a political assassination and you're under arrest for murder.

What episode of Black Mirror is that?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Heard from Gavrilo Princep "It's just a prank bro!"*

*translated from the original Serbian

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
gently caress, that rings a lot of bells, that actually happened didn't it? Gonna have to try and find that.

That took like 3 seconds, goddamn that's just as messed up as it was five years ago:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ce-kim-jong-nam
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Kim_Jong-nam

Serephina fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 15, 2022

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Halloween Jack posted:

The ole "North Korea" maneuver.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When pranking a friend, remember not to get any of the nerve gas on yourself.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Johnny Truant posted:

if i made a tray of deviled eggs and someone squashed them, then tried to hide the act, then had the audacity to act like they were the victim, there'd be some fuckin poo poo going down, what the christ

She didn't act like she was the victim, she acted like the deviled eggs didn't exist in the first place until someone found them in the garbage. Then she asked those two questions, turned around, deuces.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that's pretty good insane narcissist behavior, but she could have improved by simply doing the classic boomer "look confused and smile" response when confronted with the smashed eggs

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Serephina posted:

gently caress, that rings a lot of bells, that actually happened didn't it? Gonna have to try and find that.

That took like 3 seconds, goddamn that's just as messed up as it was five years ago:
If they want to murder someone, why can't they just drop a bomb on the wedding they're attending, like a normal country?

pentyne posted:

Guessing the "those people" line and the fact the OP is friends with so many of them goes a long way to explain why the daughter cut contact at 18.
It sounds like a classic example of the aggressive narcissist who just has to test the limits, because there has to be a winner and a loser in every human interaction.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Oh wow, someone else hates deviled eggs as much as I do!" *looks around room suspiciously*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for getting my girlfriend sock puppets for her birthday?

quote:

Ok so I will preface this by saying that me (27M) and my gf (23F) have been dating for 3 years, and before her I have not had a lot of dating experience, and this is my first (and hopefully only) long term relationship I have ever had.

Her birthday was Saturday, but I'm in graduate school right now (midterms) so I didn't have a lot of time to go shopping. I had been thinking about what to get her for a while and browsing Amazon but nothing really stood out to me. Then I remembered around 6 months ago she sent me a video of this guy on TikTok who was doing ventriloquism to mess with people (like delaying/echoing his voice) and she told me she thought it was really cool and she wished she could learn how to do that to mess with people. So I had the brilliant idea to get her some sock puppets off of amazon so she could maybe start to learn some ventriloquism. These weren't some cheap or ugly sock puppets either, I did a lot of research and I got her these

so she could make her own, and these.

I was really proud of my gift and I was really excited to give it to her at her birthday party on Saturday. When she opened her present, her face fell and an awkward silence fell over her family. She gave me an awkward smile and her family started passing them around to look at them. I tried to explain my reasoning and I got some dirty looks from them. A few of them started piping up and making jokes to lighten the mood.

When we got home she was really upset and apparently she was dropping hints that she wanted a bracelet or necklace with my birthstone but I completely missed them. Her dad texted me the next day to give me a talking to and next time he's going shopping with me because I really embarrassed her. Her uncle thinks its hilarious and keeps sending me memes on Facebook about it.

I talked to my dad and he agrees that it was a very sweet and thoughtful gift and that she shouldn't be upset because she didn't tell me exactly what she wanted. But my mom and stepdad said that it was a stupid gift and gave me pointers for what to get next time.

She's still kind of upset but she's started making jokes about it at least. She wants me to return them and get something else but I still stand by the fact that I thought it was a good and thoughtful gift.

So reddit, AITA?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Halloween Jack posted:

If they want to murder someone, why can't they just drop a bomb on the wedding they're attending, like a normal country?

It sounds like a classic example of the aggressive narcissist who just has to test the limits, because there has to be a winner and a loser in every human interaction.

I constantly have to remind myself that some people think that way. My family is relatively normal and my wife is great but her mother is a pure narcissist. Something as simple as us taking our kids to the zoo (which is nearby, and we have a membership so we go pretty often) was met by “well that’s ok I guess, we (wife and MIL) took them a couple months ago.”

Because she has to keep score on how often she does fun things with them versus how often I, their father, who is married to their mother, does fun things with them.

Edit:

Captain Hygiene posted:

I’m on this dudes side. That was a pretty thoughtful gift. If she wanted a necklace with his gemstone she should’ve, you know, actually said that.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 15, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
She does realise you don't actually need the puppet to learn ventriloquism, right?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
What is it with people playing games about expected presents and getting mad when their mind games didn't work?

Halloween Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lhEEDkv3zk

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wanted it to be deviled eggs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

What is it with people playing games about expected presents and getting mad when their mind games didn't work?

I'm sort of on both sides with that one. Definitely be more forward about gifts you'd like, "apparently dropping hints" can cover a whole lot of ground depending on the relationship. But OP did that thing where you go off of one offhand comment from ages ago, and got stuff that's even tangential to that and honestly kinda silly. Their heart's in the right place but they could've done way better.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I wanted it to be deviled eggs.

I bet the girlfriend wanted that too.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm sort of on both sides with that one. Definitely be more forward about gifts you'd like, "apparently dropping hints" can cover a whole lot of ground depending on the relationship. But OP did that thing where you go off of one offhand comment from ages ago, and got stuff that's even tangential to that and honestly kinda silly. Their heart's in the right place but they could've done way better.

Yeah, it was a thoughtful idea but at some point you have to step back and think "ok, I think it's thoughtful, but I'm getting my girlfriend of 3 years sock puppets for her birthday, is this going to go over well?" and my bet would be if you answered yourself honestly, it would be "no".

That's more of a gift you get just because.

Combo fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 15, 2022

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

The trick is to buy a sock puppet and stuff the necklace or bracelet inside of it. Perfect prank.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for not walking or standing next to my girlfriend in public when she wears heels?

quote:

Both my girlfriend[24F] and I[24M] are 5’7 and maybe 5’7.25 respectively, but when my girlfriend wears her heels she kind of towers over me in a way. Sometimes I’m a bit uncomfortable standing right next to her or walking with her in public because of this.

I know it’s not my right to ask my girlfriend to take her heels off, so instead I use other tactics. Whenever we are walking together from my car to a restaurant where we would have a date at, I would trll my girlfriend that I left something in my car or that I didn’t lock my car or even that I didn’t like the way I parked. Then I tell her to just find us some seats and wait for me to come and then we can start ordering. I’ve been doing this ever since we started dating 6 months ago, and now that I’m writing all this I’m starting to think it’s pretty loving pathetic.

My girlfriend caught on yesterday on what I was doing and I came clean. She looked really shocked when I told her, and she got pretty pissed and said “holy gently caress do you know how risky it is for me to walk alone? And you didn’t to walk with me because I wear heels?” I apologized a ton, and my girlfriend accepted my apology, but at the same time, I don’t think I was hurting my girlfriend by not walking or standing next to her. AITA?

And yes, I am prepared to walk with her now even if she wears heels since I now know that she really wants me to walk with her.

Breaking out the smaller marks on the measuring tape, as you do

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Johnny Truant posted:

I'd be undoing the saran wrap saying, "they're still good -- they're still good!"

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I once pranked my friend. I poured some peanut butter m&ms into a bowl and carefully removed the green and blue ones with a spoon. I then presented him with the bowl and told him they were Reece's Pieces. And he actually bought it! The madman!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for not walking or standing next to my girlfriend in public when she wears heels?

quote:

now that I’m writing all this I’m starting to think it’s pretty loving pathetic

lol

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Nebrilos posted:

I once pranked my friend. I poured some peanut butter m&ms into a bowl and carefully removed the green and blue ones with a spoon. I then presented him with the bowl and told him they were Reece's Pieces. And he actually bought it! The madman!

Mods?!?!????

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for naming my kids without their dads input and refusing to change it when he disagreed?

quote:

I (f23) recently had twins about 7 weeks ago. Me and their dad were engaged, planning on getting married, and did plan the pregnancy. He was the one who had really pushed the idea and convinced me, so when he decided to up and leave when I was about 14 weeks pregnant, it sucked. During my pregnancy, we had minimal contact, mainly around custody and the few requests on updates with the pregnancy. Surprisingly, he did fight for custody - to have 0%. He'll have visitation and parental rights but that's it.

The last time we talked before the babies were born, it was 3 days before my c-section. This was planned and he was aware of the date/location etc. The babies were in the NICU for 2 weeks and during this time he didn't text or visit. Obviously you need to name your kids and so I ended up choosing them myself since we hadn't gotten to that stage. I also gave them my last name since I'll be the one to do appointments etc and raising them. From his lack of interest throughout pregnancy, I didn't think he cared.

3 weeks after they were born and I'd taken them home, he rocks up. He asks what I named them and when I tell him, he said they don't look like their names and the names are 'stuck up' names. He then says their names and his last name, but I corrected him and told him they'd taken my surname. He got pissed and it became a tense situation. He demanded I change their names, I said no. He told me to combine our last names, I said no. I told him a parent that fights for 0% custody of their kids doesn't show much concern or care about said kid, especially since there are no physical/mental etc reasons to not be able to parent. He told me I was unreasonable and unhinged, I told him that paying child support was the bare minimum and if he wanted a say in their names, he should've shown up/called when they were born and not waited 3 weeks to even ask what their own kids names were. AITA?

quote:

Info: what was the conflict that caused you guys to break up

OP posted:

There wasn't a conflict that I'm aware of, he went on a business trip and sent me a text telling me that he 'didn't think it would work out between us'.

quote:

Wait he dumped you, his pregnant fiancée, over text??

OP posted:

Yes, then had his sister help me pack my bags since I moved in with him.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nebrilos posted:

See, that's a good prank because they thought they were getting lovely candy, but it turned out that they got delicious candy

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man I feel so sorry for these weenies. Again, he's so close to an epiphany. A little therapy about how it's okay to be a man and not be 6ft and he'd be right as rain.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Inceltown posted:

A good prank is one that you know your 'victim' will laugh at too. The Jackass guys do stuff that is flat out abuse if done to people who aren't up for it but they do it to their buddies who are all just planning something equal and all laugh at it. Context is the key and one that the youtube 'prank' types miss out on which is how you end up with just flat out abuse stuff happening with 'just a prank' as justification.

Yeah, the Jackass guys are all out-and-out masochists so it genuinely is all in good fun.

On a side note when the subject of pranks-as-abuse comes up I'm always reminded of how Alfred Hitchcock considered himself a notorious 'prankster,' and if you look up the details of some of the pranks he pulled it becomes very clear that he was just a sadistic maniac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Blastedhellscape posted:

Yeah, the Jackass guys are all out-and-out masochists so it genuinely is all in good fun.

On a side note when the subject of pranks-as-abuse comes up I'm always reminded of how Alfred Hitchcock considered himself a notorious 'prankster,' and if you look up the details of some of the pranks he pulled it becomes very clear that he was just a sadistic maniac.

Hitchcock was also a notorious sex pest.