Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

moving to Philadelphia in the fall. How easy is it to get around without a car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Tanks are a type of car, trains too :thunk:

C h o o c h o o

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

indigi posted:

can tourists go to NZ

they're bringing forward the border reopening because they let covid rip. don't come here though it's shite

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

When car brain meets poor bashing

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

platzapS posted:

moving to Philadelphia in the fall. How easy is it to get around without a car

SEPTA regional rail is pretty nice, between that and my bicycle I never really needed a car to get anywhere out in the 'burbs. my family lives out near Phoenixville so I would take the schuylkill river trail from center city all the way there and never encounter a car. honestly, a lot of the time it's faster than taking 76 lol i haven't been in the area in a few years but the trail might even go all the way to Pottstown now.

within the city itself, it's pretty standard. some areas have good bike infrastructure, some don't. like anywhere else, drivers are assholes and actively trying to kill you, but after two years in the high-speed sprawling suburban hellhole that is Phoenix, I am dying to get back to them.

the subway system is pretty extensive and a bit less degraded than NYC's imo. never used the trolleys/buses but be warned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX9W4Px1dKc

dumby
Oct 25, 2007

mystes posted:

Just wait until we get to ???????????????????????????????????????? where there are no buildings or sidewalks, just massive roads, and everyone is living in their Teslas which are driving around on autopilot 24/7 like an even dumber combination of Road Warrior and Mortal Engines.

https://twitter.com/dumbytown/status/1485834431793410052?s=20&t=RFJoiHvdNFwmn-4alJfhjA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Sphyre posted:

they're bringing forward the border reopening because they let covid rip. don't come here though it's shite

I know but I want to see Bag End

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

can tourists go to NZ

gently caress off we're full

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

El Pollo Blanco posted:

gently caress off we're full

send Bag End to elsewhere then. I’m coming and I’m licking all your doorknobs and coughing in your homes

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

indigi posted:

I know but I want to see Bag End

well if you're going to come to the most underwhelming country you may as well go to the most underwhelming tourist trap

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

New Zealand has a lot of cool endemics

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Sphyre posted:

well if you're going to come to the most underwhelming country you may as well go to the most underwhelming tourist trap

it’s pretty and rotorua is smelly but nice

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1503506521191333891?s=20&t=DVOyDGEhdnwzvs-7y3blgA

Not sure if this kind of feature that should have existed can have its bell unrung when the gas surge ending (no more oil in the world ever again)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/881477335642144790/952994274323083294/st.coJaEVJBdWFs.mp4

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I recently put a car horn on my bicycle

It's crazy how it seems to snap people out of car brain , or atleast communicate on carbrain frequencies

Like car brain is so primitive it only responds to "loud noise bad"

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I also hate car alarms

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this appeared in my feed

https://youtu.be/7Nw6qyyrTeI

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

send Bag End to elsewhere then. I’m coming and I’m licking all your doorknobs and coughing in your homes

you can go to bag end but only if you run peter jackson over with a bike afterward

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BANZAIIII

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I actually love dying on my bicycle, thats why you see me out there so much

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

streetsblog published something about the deadliest intersections in the US. Two of the top ones are just four blocks apart in Trenton NJ

they tend to be more in rural areas though where you have a low speed local road intersecting with a state highway, due to the huge speed limit differences

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

citations extremely needed for that driver quote

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

pedestrians- i better be careful not to get hit by a car

cyclists- jesus christ that guy almost ran me over

drivers- haha if i ram the accelerator i can run through the next five red lights, swerve through that intersection, fly off the road, and kill a child in a stroller

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

it's a whatsapp message they were typing while driving past a school

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Milo and POTUS posted:

When car brain meets poor bashing

When water hits wetness

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i watched this video and it convinced me that we need to have more suburbs

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it is extremely positive and healthy for people to have to behave as if they're being stalked by giant metal monsters any time they walk around in public

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
everyone is trying to kill me

edit: okay if they are not trying to kill me then why are they driving towards me

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Clark Nova posted:

it is extremely positive and healthy for people to have to behave as if they're being stalked by giant metal monsters any time they walk around in public

but doctor,

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

it is the job of the pedestrian to be aware of every aspect of their surroundings in order to stay alive. it is the job of the autommobile operator to be aware of the road in front of them, and it's okay if they forget about that sometimes too. no one can be expected to be that alert after all.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It continues to be fascinating to me how often cars and guns contribute to violence together. This was lazy gun storage rather than road rage. Guns are routinely stolen out of unlocked vehicles around here, and I guess sometimes kids shoot their parents.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-toddler-accidentally-killed-mom-with-gun-20220314-2j6sr32hx5avrcimglzdyb25ba-story.html

quote:

A trip to the supermarket in Dolton turned fatal this weekend when a 3-year-old boy found a gun in the back seat of a vehicle, picked it up and accidentally shot his mother, killing her.

Andrew Holmes, a trustee for the city of Dolton and a community activist, said the shooting happened at Food 4 Less after Bennet and her son went grocery shopping. Soon after Bennet put the child in his car seat and she sat down in the driver’s seat, the toddler found and picked up a gun that had been left unattended.
Holmes said people often forget they’ve left their gun in the car, underscoring the importance of having the weapon locked — no matter where it’s stored.

“Some people put these guns in the seat, they don’t take it in the house and they forget when they come out in the morning that their children are getting inside of the car. And all of a sudden, that gun rolls out from underneath the seat of the car and the child gets a hold of it,” Holmes said.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ keeping a loaded gun within reach of your child strapped into a car seat.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
No, Son, Mommy isn't making dinner tonight. Mommy lives in Heaven now, with God. You domed her, Son. You split her wig with your poor trigger discipline.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this is the one thing we didn't want to happen

mystes
May 31, 2006

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Luckily I don't think you can get a citation just for triggering carbrains (yet)

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Ban cars from busytown, IMO

mystes has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Mar 15, 2022

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

withak posted:

:lol: @ keeping a loaded gun within reach of your child strapped into a car seat.

IMO way better the mother gets dead than the kid in this scenario, but imagine being the kid growing up knowing you murked your own mother (even if it was involuntary).

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

IMO way better the mother gets dead than the kid in this scenario, but imagine being the kid growing up knowing you murked your own mother (even if it was involuntary).

Seriously, if you're the living remaining parent or godparent in that situation, how the gently caress do you address that when the kid is old enough to ask what happened to his Mom? I can't even imagine.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The dad left the gun out, so they can both feel like poo poo together.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Seriously, if you're the living remaining parent or godparent in that situation, how the gently caress do you address that when the kid is old enough to ask what happened to his Mom? I can't even imagine.

mom went to live with a pack of wolves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I would suggest lying like a motherfucker but the mother's name is right there in the article, and is probably unique that it'll still be the top google result when the kid is old enough to go looking for it