Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Also the standard 4K release for The Untouchables looks like DOGSHIT

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1503364517035757573

Thankfully the steelbook looks much nicer.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1503363944664244233

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That one is particularly funny because it's like the opposite of what the scene actually is. The cover art makes it seem like the Untouchables are getting ambushed as they walk into the station.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Seems like the Godfather set is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgPBEaDUZg

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Basebf555 posted:

An individual release of Raiders of the Lost Ark 4k has been added to bluray.com's release calendar for June. I know some people were holding out for that because they didn't want to have to buy the whole series.

gently caress yeah! That would be me! I love that Raiders may have an individual release before something like MIB 1.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/HighDefDiscNews/status/1503432921633353729?s=20&t=uxMRMXzCsF_i4AW9_yEdmQ

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just a bit devil's advocate (Pacino style), that blu-ray is great. I don't see the slight open matte as a bad thing, and this is the first I've heard of it being too warm. Usually it's the other way around and things are too cold. I think sometimes something is more of a side grade stylistically, but it's gotta be framed as a big positive to hype the new release.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Heavy Metal posted:

Just a bit devil's advocate (Pacino style), that blu-ray is great. I don't see the slight open matte as a bad thing, and this is the first I've heard of it being too warm. Usually it's the other way around and things are too cold. I think sometimes something is more of a side grade stylistically, but it's gotta be framed as a big positive to hype the new release.

Yeah, the warm colors feel like an essential part of The Godfather, and I'm pretty sure Gordon Willis was aiming for that from Day One.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Heavy Metal posted:

Gotta agree. I've been tickled pink by that Blu-ray set, and while I appreciate the nuance of the new image, I'm not clamoring to buy it all over again. Which is kinda rare for me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've never owned a copy of The Godfather, so I'm looking forward to it

I've also never seen the sequels

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I thought the whole point was it was supposed to be a slightly warmer than reality version of the 1940s?

Especially since it was being viewed from 1972.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
As far as I know, the brassy yellow color in The Godfather is supposed to be subtle. At least according to Gordon Willis before he died, the Bluray transfer is close but it's not the way it originally was.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I prefer the first one

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I always thought the Godfather was supposed to be a yellow movie kind of like how Do the Right Thing is a really yellow movie. The second image looks weird to me and reminds me of the Do the Right Thing blu-ray that removed the tint.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

For those that care, Best Buy has the 4k steelbook for Who Framed Roger Rabbit finally back in stock.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
re: the Godfather re-color grading, the white shirt looks off to me. Why would a true white shirt look blue-white in a orange-lit room? It wouldn't. it looks very artificial to me, not sure why that's the twitter OP's hinge point on it being better...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Was Coppola or the Godfather's DP actually involved in the creation of this new remaster?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

CPL593H posted:

Was Coppola or the Godfather's DP actually involved in the creation of this new remaster?

Gordy consulted when they did the Bluray while he had Allen Daviau do a lot of the main day-to-day figuring out the grade, but neither Gordy or Allen are around for the UHD since they both passed away.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sniep posted:

re: the Godfather re-color grading, the white shirt looks off to me. Why would a true white shirt look blue-white in a orange-lit room? It wouldn't. it looks very artificial to me, not sure why that's the twitter OP's hinge point on it being better...

This was my immediate thought. I don't mind the look and could get behind either version, but it feels like a regrade rather than something that would be original colors.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

There's a good thread on Home Theater Forum from Robert Harris, who supervised the 2000s restorations. The color matches the 4K DCP files as approved by Coppola and Willis at the time, just with newer 16-bit scans and more advanced digital tools.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
That warm filter over the entire image is kinda rear end. Glad they were able to restore it properly. It's about the downlighting not the making-everything-orange, neutral flesh tones and proper color rendering has me excited to get that UHD tranfser

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also, we're looking at an HDR image being converted to SDR. It's quite possible that any issues you have to the image are the results of that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The image on the left looks jaundiced, and the image on the right looks closer to the image I saw when I watched Godfather in theaters back in 2012 (or whatever). I don't know what version I saw in theaters, but it was not as yellow or golden (that I remember).

I don't own The Godfather, so I'm grabbing the 4k UHD set either way.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I saw the new version of The Godfather in a Dolby theater a few weeks ago and it looked amazing, so I'm just going off that. Also it was so loud that Apollonia's car exploding hit the brown note

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rocco posted:

I saw the new version of The Godfather in a Dolby theater a few weeks ago and it looked amazing, so I'm just going off that. Also it was so loud that Apollonia's car exploding hit the brown note

:rip: to your pants

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.gruv.com/product/the_alfred_hitchcock_classics_collection_4k_ultra_hd_blu_ray_boxset_blu_ray

Universal's physical media site has the Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection Vol. 2 UHD set for $54.99, with a further 20% off deal on your first order through them and looks like shipping is free for standard speed.

Titles are Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, The Trouble with Harry, Marnie, and Family Plot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Trouble With Harry is gonna look amazing with HDR, although it's not like the existing blu ray needs an upgrade necessarily, it looks great as it is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

https://www.gruv.com/product/the_alfred_hitchcock_classics_collection_4k_ultra_hd_blu_ray_boxset_blu_ray

Universal's physical media site has the Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection Vol. 2 UHD set for $54.99, with a further 20% off deal on your first order through them and looks like shipping is free for standard speed.

Titles are Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, The Trouble with Harry, Marnie, and Family Plot.

I don't have any of these, so pre-ordered.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Nice, picked up the box set, King Kong and Waterworld for 66 bucks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The non-lovely French Connection blu-ray is four bucks on amazon.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

One day shipping, too. My copy is out for delivery already.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CPL593H posted:

Thanks for the heads up! Appreciated.

Edit: by the time I got there it was 7 bucks. Odd.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 15, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I see one for 7 but not 4

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

I see one for 7 but not 4

Sorry, I would have posted it yesterday had I known it was the good version. I looked up reviews on blu-ray.com and it seemed like the better version, but I wasn't sure. I'm willing to pay $4 for it, but I didn't think to recommend it without knowing.

It was still $4 this morning, but I'm also seeing it for $7 now.

I also grabbed Arrow's LE Donnie Darko 4k for $15 yesterday, because someone was selling them used on Amazon "Like New" at that price. I still don't know if it's actually a good deal or if it's a lovely copy or missing stuff, but I'll know Thursday. I'm gonna start checking for those types of deals now.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Raiders 4K standalone Steelbook ordered, along w Escape from NY. Let’s loving gooooo. It’s gonna be a great summer for staying home and watching old movies!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

There's a big ol' Arrow sale on the MVD website.

https://mvdshop.com/collections/ArrowMarchMadness2022

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 16, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’d buy a Lethal Weapon UHD set

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
All this Godfather color talk has me thinking about how I used to have to order tapes from a weird catalog to get widescreen versions of things.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So when’s that Kino sale? There’s a bunch of stuff I want from there. There’s some Arrow stuff I wouldn’t mind either but the Kino stuff is more of a priority.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’d buy a Lethal Weapon UHD set

Fuckin’ same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lethal Weapon UHD would be a no-brainer, as would pretty much any 80s/90s action movie on UHD. It's a genre that generally looks amazing on UHD(practical explosions and HDR are a beautiful combo) until you hit the era where all the sudden CG was a lot more prevalent and widely used.