Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2 words: Mega Straw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The super science villain answer is to shoot the water into space

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlimGoodbody posted:

The super science villain answer is to shoot the water into space

Elon Musk reading this post and nodding vigorously

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In regards to the seawall I thought because about about 90% of the movie takes place in the rain they could have had a throw away line about how Gotham is experiencing unheard amounts of rain that month and that if it wasn't for the seawall bad things would happen, just to plant the idea of how important the seawall is

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is there some kind of reverse Chekhov Gun rule of filmmaking? I don't get why people take issue with the seawall not being some big prominent feature of the city in the movie before it gets blown up. Seems like you can easily go the opposite direction and telegraph the ending.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't think there's anything egregiously wrong with it, but it's not something people expect and that can take people out of the moment as they try to catch up. If your end plot (all examples made up and not part of the movie) is revealed to be taking over the government's missiles then that tracks fine, because we're used to governments having missiles. If you're blowing up an oil pipeline under the city people instead say "wait, there's an oil pipeline under that city? Were we supposed to know that?"

Whatever the genre, when you want a reveal there's always a balance of what information you give people when. Ideally the viewer figures it out just before the reveal, or when the answer is shown they realize they had all the pieces and it snaps together. But you're never going to hit that sweet spot for everyone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bruceski posted:

I don't think there's anything egregiously wrong with it, but it's not something people expect and that can take people out of the moment as they try to catch up. If your end plot (all examples made up and not part of the movie) is revealed to be taking over the government's missiles then that tracks fine, because we're used to governments having missiles. If you're blowing up an oil pipeline under the city people instead say "wait, there's an oil pipeline under that city? Were we supposed to know that?"

Whatever the genre, when you want a reveal there's always a balance of what information you give people when. Ideally the viewer figures it out just before the reveal, or when the answer is shown they realize they had all the pieces and it snaps together. But you're never going to hit that sweet spot for everyone.

The first point sounds like personal preference and not a mistake the filmmakers made. Maybe it's an American thing, like people don't know what a seawall is? It's in the name and it's a reasonable thing for a fictional or otherwise to have. It didn't seem weird or out of place to me.

As for the second thing I don't think it is specifically about that piece of infrastructure but just about the structure of the movie as a whole. This isn't a whodunnit movie with one specific question the audience and Batman is trying to solve. It's like an adventure or action movie where we only find out where the climax will take place shortly before it happens. The "reveal" in that scene was about where Batman could learn about Riddler's plans when he gets to a dead end, not the actual plan itself. The faults I have with the scene where we find out about the seawall bombings are that 1) a conveniently present cop was there to identify the murder weapon as a carpeting tool instead of Batman and 2) there wasn't an opportunity earlier for the audience to know that there might be some carpet to tear up since Riddler's base of operations is shown basically at the same time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lobok posted:

The first point sounds like personal preference and not a mistake the filmmakers made. Maybe it's an American thing, like people don't know what a seawall is? It's in the name and it's a reasonable thing for a fictional or otherwise to have. It didn't seem weird or out of place to me.

You know what, you're right. Over on this coast I mainly see them used for erosion prevention rather than other priorities on the hurricane side of the country, that's a personal "default city" thing. Blowing one up doesn't reflexively strike me as an immediate problem in the same way as saying, say, "the levee broke" would. Because to me that one implies an immediate issue the levee was defending against while seawalls are mainly there for long-term concerns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bruceski posted:

You know what, you're right. Over on this coast I mainly see them used for erosion prevention rather than other priorities on the hurricane side of the country, that's a personal "default city" thing. Blowing one up doesn't reflexively strike me as an immediate problem in the same way as saying, say, "the levee broke" would. Because to me that one implies an immediate issue the levee was defending against while seawalls are mainly there for long-term concerns.

It's all the same. The words can be used interchangeably, just traditionally a levee is on a river and a seawall on larger bodies.

You're right though, a seawall isn't like a dam constantly holding back massive amounts of water (but neither is a levee normally.) I suppose that's where the funding issues and neglect are supposed to come in. If the seawall for Gotham is old and they haven't been improving it as water levels rise then it could be that it ends up being essentially a dam.

They probably should have just used a dam.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

General 'Thunderbolt' Ross actor William Hurt died earlier today

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I mentioned earlier in the thread about the water as rejuvenation / renewal imagery but because it was a seawall that kind of implies it wasn't Gotham's own water like it would be for a river, though in the case of Manhattan the distinction between river and ocean for the purposes of a protective wall is not really important. That said, the plan could have used a reservoir instead. Might strain credulity less as well to attack one location with fewer bombs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lobok posted:

I mentioned earlier in the thread about the water as rejuvenation / renewal imagery but because it was a seawall that kind of implies it wasn't Gotham's own water like it would be for a river, though in the case of Manhattan the distinction between river and ocean for the purposes of a protective wall is not really important. That said, the plan could have used a reservoir instead. Might strain credulity less as well to attack one location with fewer bombs.

Basically, though, I think we're picking nits on this one. It was used in a valid context but not one some of us were expecting, and it distracted some of those some of us as a result.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FlamingLiberal posted:

General 'Thunderbolt' Ross actor William Hurt died earlier today

It sucks. He had an amazing body of work.

I'm also going to take the opportunity to vent about idiots on Twitter mourning him by saying they'll never get Red Hulk now to the point "Red Hulk" was trending, which... loving hell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I doubt they were even going to do that storyline anyway, but the man is dead people, jeez

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

It sucks. He had an amazing body of work.

I'm also going to take the opportunity to vent about idiots on Twitter mourning him by saying they'll never get Red Hulk now to the point "Red Hulk" was trending, which... loving hell.

Re-casting is a thing that exists.

It would be nice if we could at least go a day to not worry about dumb poo poo like that and instead just say RIP to a great actor who had a body of work much bigger than the MCU.

I know it's weird to say 71 is too young, but man, 71 is too young.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 14, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jamesman posted:

Re-casting is a thing that exists.

And that's the smallest hurdle. They kind of have to, y'know, make Hulk films in the first place?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lobok posted:

And that's the smallest hurdle. They kind of have to, y'know, make Hulk films in the first place?

There's a She Hulk show out in a few months that has Hulk and Abomination in it, it's not that absurd.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked to see a Red Hulk or a broader Hulkverse come out of She-Hulk. I'm not super sure what the contract issue is with Hulk but if you can do a reverse Sony and play around it by doing everyone BUT Hulk and just using Ruffalo as a support character then that makes sense. She Hulk, Amadeus Cho, Red Hulk, whatever. And really they could make Red Hulk with anyone especially since the MCU really hasn't made Betsy a big thing or tied Hurt's Ross to Ruffalo's Hulk much at all.

Still its a sad thing to be worried about when someone dies and weird to reduce a great actor's career to a bit role.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Opopanax posted:

There's a She Hulk show out in a few months that has Hulk and Abomination in it, it's not that absurd.

Ah geez, I totally forgot about that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked to see a Red Hulk or a broader Hulkverse come out of She-Hulk. I'm not super sure what the contract issue is with Hulk but if you can do a reverse Sony and play around it by doing everyone BUT Hulk and just using Ruffalo as a support character then that makes sense. She Hulk, Amadeus Cho, Red Hulk, whatever. And really they could make Red Hulk with anyone especially since the MCU really hasn't made Betsy a big thing or tied Hurt's Ross to Ruffalo's Hulk much at all.

Still its a sad thing to be worried about when someone dies and weird to reduce a great actor's career to a bit role.
The only contract I am aware of is that Universal would get a cut of a solo Hulk film, which is why they haven't made any more. I doubt TV is included.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

The faults I have with the scene where we find out about the seawall bombings are that 1) a conveniently present cop was there to identify the murder weapon as a carpeting tool instead of Batman and 2) there wasn't an opportunity earlier for the audience to know that there might be some carpet to tear up since Riddler's base of operations is shown basically at the same time.

Lol no way, that was such a good part to me because it lampshaded that Bruce was too much of a sheltered rich boy to know what a carpet tucker was, which was apt because several other characters and situations referenced this issue throughout the movie as well. I think it also ties in to Bruce realizing he needs to stop being such a navel gazing, self obsessed sap by the end of the movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlimGoodbody posted:

Lol no way, that was such a good part to me because it lampshaded that Bruce was too much of a sheltered rich boy to know what a carpet tucker was, which was apt because several other characters and situations referenced this issue throughout the movie as well. I think it also ties in to Bruce realizing he needs to stop being such a navel gazing, self obsessed sap by the end of the movie.

It's not that he didn't know but the process of how he found out.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I doubt they were even going to do that storyline anyway, but the man is dead people, jeez

Uh, excuse you, I'm a comic book nerd with a small amount of disposable income, meaning I control the economy. Therefore, my whims and desires are of the utmost importance to the financial stability of this country. What's not important is a person who died. What matters is that is one more tertiary comic book character won't be portrayed by the same actor on the big screen, if at all, and that concerns me because my personality is defined by the media I consume and nothing else. Now, I'm off to complain about women in these roles not having big enough knockers/too many minorities in these movies. I am very smart.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only contract I am aware of is that Universal would get a cut of a solo Hulk film, which is why they haven't made any more. I doubt TV is included.

It's not just a cut, Universal has rights to distribute any Hulk movies.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Aphrodite posted:

It's not just a cut, Universal has rights to distribute any Hulk movies.

Yeah, the killer clause is that Universal doesn't just have the rights to distribute, which would be potentially tolerable (Sony distributes the Spider-Man movies after all), Universal also claims the rights to determine day and date release for any movie they distribute and to change it at any time, which Disney cannot handle with the model of serial storytelling they are currently pursuing.

"Oops, we know we said that Hulk 2 would come out between Shang-Chi 2 and GotG 4, but we need a tent pole release for 2025. Hope kicking the introduction of Robert Pattinson's Wolverine 9 months down the road won't ruin your plans or anything!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean Sony would very likely have those rights too, their relationship just isn't hostile so they coordinate.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't know how to categorize this, but Michael Giacchino (yes, the composer) is directing a Halloween special based on Werewolf by Night.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It’s Giacchino, so it’ll be a Howloween special. Plenty of punpkins to carve, I’m sure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The character's name is Jack Russell. Probably makes Giacchino giddy.

Also, trying to pronounce punpkins reminds me of this stupid joke my wife and I have where whenever one of us or someone else says Banff we say it back and really try to emphasize the N. This is appropriate to a comic book thread because most people sound like they're saying Bampf.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 15, 2022

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Lobok posted:

The character's name is Jack Russell. Probably makes Giacchino giddy.

Also, trying to pronounce punpkins reminds me of this stupid joke my wife and I have where whenever one of us or someone else says Banff we say it back and really try to emphasize the N. This is appropriate to a comic book thread because most people sound like they're saying Bampf.

I thought it was Bampf?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Why are people saying "banff" and on a regular basis? Is this an American thing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe they live in Alberta.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ontario, but it comes up enough somehow ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Winter Olympics helped.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Casting continues in the Sony Spiderverse:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1504162319550410753

Soon they will grab the entire cast of Euphoria

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh cool, now we'll get a billion horny posts everywhere fancasting Sydney Sweeney as Black Cat or Spider-Woman.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Isn't Madame Web an old woman?

EDIT: I haven't been keeping up and apparently she was young in the disney spiderman cartoon: https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Madame_Web

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxSvDb6L00w

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 16, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The United States posted:

EDIT: I haven't been keeping up and apparently she was young in the disney spiderman cartoon: https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Madame_Web

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxSvDb6L00w

One of the spider women took over a while ago

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She’s Jessica Carpenter now I think.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The United States posted:

So was Aunt May...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would rather Sydney Sweeney continue to star in various 90s style erotic thrillers instead of comic book movies, but I guess everybody has to do a comic book movie