Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly if I was a Bethesda developer I'm not sure I could have the will to live after playing elden ring lmfao. Far smaller budget, team, and time for development as compared to the last 4 or 5 Bethesda games to make a product that's just 100x better in every way. Embarsssing beyond belief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Skyrim is better than every single souls game and it’s not even close. Not a troll post, objective facts.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wow. I had assumed that Skyrim had a fairly modest budget but no lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's literally one of the highest budget games of all time, and while 6 years isn't a record on time for the game industry or anything it's still in the 'what are you even doing' division.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you gotta spend money to make money

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Side stepping more Elden Rings chat, I'm planning on grabbing a Series S. My main goal is to just have a box to play new games on, preferably with friends. Looking at Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, maybe Cyberpunk 2077, stuff like that.

I don't have a 4k TV and don't use a TV enough to plan to get one any time soon. The Series S doesn't have an optical drive but that's fine because I'm largely interested in gamepass and a few select games to keep around.

Is there anything I'm missing? I know the Series S is less powerful but I don't really care outside "will it play the games I want at a playable (30FPS imo) framerate with friends on the couch?"

It seems suited for people like me who might casually play games, but aren't regular gamers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It has a TINY amount of storage if that’s of concern

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Skyrim is better than every single souls game and it’s not even close. Not a troll post, objective facts.

:mrwhite:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It has a TINY amount of storage if that’s of concern

512GB right? Even the larger games I play are maybe 150-200GB at most, and I only usually play a couple games at a time.

I also have a bunch of USB3.0 external SSDs, I was working on the assumption that like the PS4 Pro etc I could install a game or two to one of those for games I play sometimes but not often?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

512GB right? Even the larger games I play are maybe 150-200GB at most, and I only usually play a couple games at a time.

I also have a bunch of USB3.0 external SSDs, I was working on the assumption that like the PS4 Pro etc I could install a game or two to one of those for games I play sometimes but not often?

It's around 360 GiB of usable space.

But yes, you can expand it with external drives although you can't actually play new-gen games off anything else but the internal drive or the official (and expensive) expansion stick. You can store new games on USB drives too but need to move them to internal before playing.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Series S is good, I love mine and you will too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

loving lol, GTA Online is very strictly platform locked and you have to MOVE a character from last gen to current gen (i.e. they are deleted from the last gen servers).

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just bought Torment : Tides of Numenera for 99 cents! I don't know if I'll like it but it's 99 cents so why the heck not. Don't know why it's not on game pass xbox since it's available on game pass for windows.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

but shid it was 99cents

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i've been playing elden ring for the last few hours. load times seem pretty long for series x, hope it gets patched and/or i die less.
i must "get good"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syntaxfunction posted:

Side stepping more Elden Rings chat, I'm planning on grabbing a Series S. My main goal is to just have a box to play new games on, preferably with friends. Looking at Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, maybe Cyberpunk 2077, stuff like that.

I don't have a 4k TV and don't use a TV enough to plan to get one any time soon. The Series S doesn't have an optical drive but that's fine because I'm largely interested in gamepass and a few select games to keep around.

Is there anything I'm missing? I know the Series S is less powerful but I don't really care outside "will it play the games I want at a playable (30FPS imo) framerate with friends on the couch?"

It seems suited for people like me who might casually play games, but aren't regular gamers.

there's no reason to get a series S other than it's slightly more available. the price difference is negligible and the series x has more storage and i think more expansion slots for even more storage. also, it looks cooler. plus the better hardware might be something you don't give a poo poo about now but consider it paying a little more for future proofing. it's possible that there'll be another half-step console generation with games that the series s can't handle, or that 4k panels will become standard in the next couple of years, etc.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

the series x has more storage and i think more expansion slots for even more storage.

There's only one expansion slot, just like the S.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I live in Australia and the Series X and PS5 aren't possible to get a hold of. And the S to X price difference is double. I'm not interested enough in games to wait for stuff to appear and scamper off to get it, or to pay scalping prices.

If I don't get a Series S then it will be a long, long time before any next gen stuff will be playable for me.

I'm playing games on an ASUS Zenbook with onboard graphics right now and it doesn't really worry me. I'm also broken in that my "playable performance" frame rate is basically 20FPS before I get annoyed. So unless we get games that simply refuse to run on a Series S I don't think it'll be a problem.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i love the design of the series s tbh, same with the old one s

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
If you aren't getting a 4k TV for a few years yeah you'll be fine with an S

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Next up on Game Pass...

COMING:
March 17: Shredders (Cloud, PC, and Xbox Series X|S), The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos (Cloud, Console, and PC)
March 22: Tainted Grail: Conquest (Console), Zero Escape: The Nonary Games (Cloud, Console, and PC)
March 24: Norco (PC), F1 2021 (Console via EA Play)
March 29: Crusader Kings III (Xbox Series X|S)
March 31: Weird West (Cloud, Console, and PC)

GOING:
March 31:
Madden NFL 20 (Cloud, Console, and PC via EA Play)
Narita Boy (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Shadow Warrior 2 (Cloud, Console, and PC)

April 11:
Destiny 2: Beyond Light, Shadowkeep, and Forsaken (PC)

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 15, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

awful

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games is great.

e: didn't know it wasn't on Xbox yet. Nice to have it there.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Weird West day one is pretty cool news.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Larry Parrish posted:

Honestly if I was a Bethesda developer I'm not sure I could have the will to live after playing elden ring lmfao. Far smaller budget, team, and time for development as compared to the last 4 or 5 Bethesda games to make a product that's just 100x better in every way. Embarsssing beyond belief.

I like Elden Ring more than every Bethesda game other than Morrowind but uh. they are not not at all going for the same thing

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Pirate Jet posted:

Weird West day one is pretty cool news.

yeah that game looks sick

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I actually dipped out of my gamepass sub yesterday because all I'm doing is playing botw and elden ring, and my backlog is games I already own. I'll get back in for starfield I reckon. Also I never did the gold trick so it was 17 a month or whatever it is.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://www.twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1503714746150834180

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Hard-hitting analysis via LinkedIn snooping

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

I like Elden Ring more than every Bethesda game other than Morrowind but uh. they are not not at all going for the same thing

Yeah this is a wild comparison

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Perfect Fart

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Shredders looking pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWPIkwCQlFQ

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Larry Parrish posted:

plus the better hardware might be something you don't give a poo poo about now but consider it paying a little more for future proofing. it's possible that there'll be another half-step console generation with games that the series s can't handle, or that 4k panels will become standard in the next couple of years, etc.

I thought about that, and it definitely will happen, but by that time there will be a new Xbox worth trading in for. Microsoft seems to be steering towards Consoles as a Service.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Is there a way to view your capture galleries in a web browser, or do you need to use the mobile app to grab them?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

GigaPeon posted:

Is there a way to view your capture galleries in a web browser, or do you need to use the mobile app to grab them?

There’s various third party sites that run like poo poo and have tons of ads.

https://gameclips.io/

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Looking forward to Crusader Kings!

And that Naheulbeuk game seems like something I'll maybe enjoy for a couple of weeks.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 15, 2022

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Beastie posted:

There’s various third party sites that run like poo poo and have tons of ads.

https://gameclips.io/

Yeah I just mean something like this but I can view all my captures: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/play/media/MP9BJTMM

I feel there should be a "Back to Gallery" button there...

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

What sucks is there was a really good clip viewer and gallery editor before. Now if you want to see your clips, on console, and edit them, you are required to do it in the most convoluted way.

“Hey I want to check out the clips I grabbed the other night when I played Insurgency”

Guide button>tab over 3 times>clips>scroll down a bunch>My Recent Clips>Taken to new screen with all clips.

“Okay great, that clip in particular was the one I wanted to check out. Let’s watch it.”

Clip is over, let’s hit B to get out of the player and see another clip.

I am now suddenly back on the Home Screen.

It’s stupid

Beastie fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 15, 2022

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm excited for crusader kings. I saw it listed but it didn't say whether it was console or PC so I assumed PC. I'm excited to play on Xbox, I've never played it but heard a lot of good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Larry Parrish posted:

Dark Souls 1 came out two months before Skyrim

High Rock's going to be very funny to compare to Elden Ring