Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i assumed they meant full body shape change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I mean my love for the character was never tied to her powers anyway and if I'm being honest purple crystal energy projection is way cooler, even if it might be a bit samey. I guess the weird/dorkyness of stretch growth powers is probably better suited to her but I'm not real worried about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/KevinNewburn/status/1503748526819393544

It's a valid argument.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

i dunno, i really don't like the power change, but I'm still gonna watch it anyways so :shrug: i guess

:same:

And I know everyone floated the idea back when the preview images were first leaked but I just cannot help but feel like this is all so they can avoid having a stretchy hero before Fantastic Four comes out. Because two super heroes? With the same powers? Ridiculous.

Also because Inhumans is still Marvel's Shameful Secret

Finally someone's talking sense again.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

There is the argument that her shape changing powers were a good metaphor for her growing up and determining the kind of person she wanted to be.

That said, it still looks like it will be a lot of fun. This will just be the nit I continue to pick.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Part of me wonders if it's as simple as they just didn't want to go to the trouble of both 1) Figuring a way to have a character's limbs enlarge and shrink at high speed while maintaining whatever standard of image quality they have for themselves and 2) Do that on a Disney+ limited series budget

A less charitable theory would be that they want to save the stretchy bits for Reed. But then, in a similar vein, you can argue it's weird that Carol has energy absorption, Monica has spectrum control and manipulation, and Kamala has... selectively big limbs

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I have zero attachment to the character so I think the crystal stuff looks pretty neat.

But the trailer didn't really do anything for me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Making those the quantum bands is a good idea to tie her to Carol.

Stretchy powers look real bad in live action.

But yeah, her powers aren't the most important aspect of the character.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

glitchwraith posted:

There is the argument that her shape changing powers were a good metaphor for her growing up and determining the kind of person she wanted to be.

That said, it still looks like it will be a lot of fun. This will just be the nit I continue to pick.

I mean it seems clear from the trailer that the essential components of that - that she’s able to project a size and power that belies her normal exterior - are intact. It’s just energy projection instead of stretching.

Specifically, there’s a shot of her doing a big fist and if leaks are to be believed she does pull an “embiggen” moment by the end of the show

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"BUT IF SHE HAS THE QUANTUM BANDS WHAT ABOUT QUASAR"

-some fat white guy in a basement somewhere probably

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Twitter's been a lot of fun with the comments on the official trailer post. Generally the tone tends towards "I hate these woke culture bullshit minority superhero teenagers, but also do please change her powers back to what they were."

When the love of culture war crashes against the fear of change.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

People are asking about Quantum Bands but in the spirit of keeping things "Marvel" (the characters with that name, not the company) wouldn't they be more likely to be a variation on Nega-Bands?

I'm hoping those things are bound to her. One thing I like about her powers compared to a GL ring is that they are hers. She was changed. They are part of her. I don't want her powers to be some piece of tech or magic that she's merely in possession of at the moment.

Edit: then again, I don't think "Nega-Bands" is the best name to be said aloud a lot... Maybe it's best left on the printed page.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 15, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Medullah posted:

I still get irrationally angry when I see people talk about how Preacher was "So accurate to the comic, Seth Rogan really nailed it".

Seth Rogan basically kept all the most juvenile stuff from Preacher and cut the parts that were actual good. Like that Jesse's violent behavior is something that he needs to grow out of and that his relationship with Cassidy is really toxic.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

maybe they just unlock something in her, and by the end of the show she doesn't need them anymore.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I still don't love the power change, but they looked really cool in action and she obviously can't be an Inhuman, which is okay because the Inhumans loving suck on toast, always have, always will. And the vibe was dead-on.

I'm not sure those are the Nega-Bands, though. (Or, I suppose, not the ones from the comics -- there's no reason they couldn't end up being called that, or the Quantum Bands.) They actually reminded me of the Ten Rings, and considering how Shang-Chi left "what the gently caress are those, what is their deal" as its most open, burning question, having more, similar artifacts pop up would make sense.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

I still don't love the power change, but they looked really cool in action and she obviously can't be an Inhuman, which is okay because the Inhumans loving suck on toast, always have, always will.

Play Marvel already shot themselves in the foot twice over by having Inhumans be the equivalent of the X-Men in Agents of SHIELD and then having that god-awful Inhumans miniseries.

One ship sailed and the other sank. I don't think they'll really be able to introduce Inhumans into the MCU proper for a long time, if ever.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they promptly disappeared from the 616 after death of x so i don't think anyone at marvel is much concerned about that

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
As long as Kamala’s personality is the same, I don’t care if the powers are different. I don’t like her because she’s stretchy, I like her because she’s a kind and earnest fangirl who wants to help her community.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

they promptly disappeared from the 616 after death of x so i don't think anyone at marvel is much concerned about that
She's only an Inhuman because she was invented during the period that Marvel was being petty little bitches and refusing to use anything Fox had the film rights to. I submit that, in fact, Kamala Khan would be more interesting if she was a mutant.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Joe Fisto posted:

As long as Kamala’s personality is the same, I don’t care if the powers are different. I don’t like her because she’s stretchy, I like her because she’s a kind and earnest fangirl who wants to help her community.

:same: Kamala is just so awesome.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

VanillaGorilla posted:

I mean it seems clear from the trailer that the essential components of that - that she’s able to project a size and power that belies her normal exterior - are intact. It’s just energy projection instead of stretching.

Specifically, there’s a shot of her doing a big fist and if leaks are to be believed she does pull an “embiggen” moment by the end of the show

Yeah, she'll have the big fists and what-not, which is cool. But it's still strange to see Ms. Marvel throwing up force fields and hopping across mid-air stepping stones. It's almost like they took her away from Mr. Fantastic's power only to give her half of Invisible Woman's power.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alhazred posted:

Seth Rogan basically kept all the most juvenile stuff from Preacher and cut the parts that were actual good. Like that Jesse's violent behavior is something that he needs to grow out of and that his relationship with Cassidy is really toxic.
Also stuck in one place every season

-Family changed to devil worshippers, less critical of American Christianity
-Father changes/no war flashbacks and thus no interrogation of American masculinity
-Less of the "Cassidy is a piece of poo poo" which means no reflection on America as a place for reinvention and renewal
-No "needs more gun"
-No "where the gently caress is your chin"
-No "till the end of the world"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She wears bands already in the comic, but they're just a family heirloom. Based on the trailer that element looks to still be part of it since she finds them in a chest in a shed or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I mean my love for the character was never tied to her powers anyway and if I'm being honest purple crystal energy projection is way cooler, even if it might be a bit samey. I guess the weird/dorkyness of stretch growth powers is probably better suited to her but I'm not real worried about it.

I figure it's really tricky to animate that sort of thing in live action without it being (unintentionally) grotesque. So you either have to match the tone or tweak things enough to give a disconnect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, live action stretchy powers are really hard to do in a way that looks convincing and isn't horrific.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The only thing that hurts Kamala not being an Inhuman is that she won't have Lockjaw as a pet.

Or gently caress it, just put Lockjaw in the show and he's a teleporting dog from space.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I still don't love the power change, but they looked really cool in action and she obviously can't be an Inhuman, which is okay because the Inhumans loving suck on toast, always have, always will. And the vibe was dead-on.

Inhumans are cool and good actually, and I am ready to die on this hill. :colbert:

(Disclaimer: I never read any Inhumans at all until they got essentially rebooted post-Infinity)

Codependent Poster posted:

The only thing that hurts Kamala not being an Inhuman is that she won't have Lockjaw as a pet.

Or gently caress it, just put Lockjaw in the show and he's a teleporting dog from space.

Lockjaw was on Inhumans though, and as previously mentioned Marvel would rather everybody forget that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lockjaw is a good boy and doesn't deserve the taint of that Inhumans show on him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nobody watched Inhumans though, so just put Lockjaw in.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They could easily just put lockjaw in there and say he's just an alien dog, he doesn't need a bit backstory and he can't talk anyways

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ms Marvel ends with her family taking a vacation to Hawaii and she finds a gigantic teleporting dog living in a cave surrounded by the bones of all the other Inhumans.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Everyone keeps saying that stretchy limbs don't look good in live-action, but aside from Fox's awful F4 movies and like...Space Jam, where else have stretchy limbs been done in live-action before?

EDIT: Y'all gonna look real silly when the Netflix One Piece comes out. :v:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Vandar posted:

Everyone keeps saying that stretchy limbs don't look good in live-action, but aside from Fox's awful F4 movies and like...Space Jam, where else have stretchy limbs been done in live-action before?

EDIT: Y'all gonna look real silly when the Netflix One Piece comes out. :v:

The Flash

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It looks like she does the embiggening arm punch a lot, the shot of her actually punching at like a martial artist guy is in some above ground subway station, and the shot of her retracting a punch is in a formal dance hall sort of thing. The punch shot itself is interesting too, you can see her hand and the bracelet inside the glowing purple stuff.

I guess that lends credence to the notion that this was done at least partially because the CGI tech for straight up stretch powers isn't to their liking yet. Personally I love it. Connects her to the other two Marvels and looks great for TV.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I kind of dig the way it connects her to Danvers and the Infinity Stones. It feels like it might be part of something bigger. Purple is the power stone. Wanda is red for reality stone. Carol is blue for space stone. Vision is still probably somewhere tied to the mind stone. With Adam Warlock confirmed I could see us getting an Infinity Watch or something and that theoretically drops Kamala right in the middle of it.

But I never really read the comic so I’m admittedly not attached to the idea of what she is. So it’s easier for me to accept a change that fits the MCU more.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Opopanax posted:

The Flash

the flash's powers look awful in the flash

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

site posted:

The Elongated Man looks surprisingly good, however. Too bad the actor turned out to be a sex pest, the character was a breath of fresh air on the show when he showed up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Elongated Man mostly worked for me but they leaned into the kind of disturbing body horror of it. I doubt that’s the vibe they want for Ms Marvel.

I imagine it might be more manageable with FF since the basic setup is that they’ve all been horrifically transformed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

It's incredible how much worse they've gotten over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I guess my main concern at this point is that they try to backport this into the comics somehow. I'm not a fan of the power change but I can at least understand why they did it. If they decide to make it her definitive powerset from now on across all media then that's going to piss me off.