Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Quantum of Phallus posted:

couldn't beat the tutorial in elden ring and is still crying about it

he s mad? gonma cry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I got a good laugh out of The United States being the Ted Rall of this thread.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah, I'm not particularly bothered by all those annoying YouTube trends, but some of you are so mortified to the point where you need to share your outrage here. That part is pretty funny

At a certain point, have you considered just not looking at the gross YouTube or Twitter dorks? A lot of them are getting paid during these trying times so more power to them for managing to draw in your clicks

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The thing about Spawn Wave is that he’s doing exactly what the YT algorithm rewards: having a human face in the thumbnail. I’m guessing if he tried to do surprised/happy/shocked face it would be hilariously awful so he’s chosen to just pose so his channel wil be recommended more. I also don’t mind his vids :shrug:

I haven’t played Mario Kart in over a year but you bet your rear end I’m going to be playing it this weekend.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I can’t blame people for playing the game YouTube wants them to play.

If it annoys you email YouTube or something I guess

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I've definitely seen an increase of annoying thumbnail usage within even legitimate respectable channels that still pump out great content. It doesn't turn me off enough to stop watching said channels and it probably draws in new viewers so once again the algorithm is right and goons are wrong

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I try to avoid these channels but this Spawnwave guy seems fine compared to the rest of the garbage I've seen out there :confused: I mean if his face and demeanor really bother you that much I'm not sure what to tell you but at least he isn't being over emotional and just yelling constantly which is way more annoying. He reminds me of watching a weatherman but for videogames.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah honestly I'll take "dude looking kind of bored" over "guy fake screaming in rage" any day.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

begone, youtube thumbnail face

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clickbait-remover-for-you/omoinegiohhgbikclijaniebjpkeopip?hl=en

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Bug Squash posted:

I'd rather have a thousand emotionless men than a single other performative rager.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah honestly I'll take "dude looking kind of bored" over "guy fake screaming in rage" any day.

Holy poo poo, :yeah: If I want to hear men angrily screaming, I'll just...go outside. :ohdear:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's a shame this wouldn't work on a Fire Stick. I do all my youtube watching on TV.

Also really hosed up that Youtube's algorithm is guided by literal toddlers.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It actually makes a lot of sense if you think about the sheer volume of toddlers who have a tablet running YouTube 24/7. Lazy bums don't even have to go to work

Horrifying stuff sure but logical

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Cross posting from the monthly chat thread:

The Switch Final Fantasy sale I’ve been anticipating for months is finally here. All of the FF8 discussion in here while VG played through 8 combined with me needing brain dead simple games to play right now convinced me that PS1 era Final Fantasy is the thing for me.

I’m not considering 7, I’ve played it too many times.

I played 8 to the end when it was new, but never finished it because I leveled 3 characters to 100 and left the other 3 in the teens, which made the final area a major challenge.

I played 9 when it was new but never finished it because I got distracted by finally getting the internet at home

I’m gripped with indecision.

Reasons for 8
-like the idea of tinkering with the draw system to break the hell out of my characters. I was a dumb kid last I played and barely understood the system
-triple triad
-the music

Reasons for 9
-I like having a prescribed party for much of the game
-simpler system (I think?) with getting skills from gear
-I remember liking the characters

Please hit me with compelling arguments for or against either of these games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I never played 8 because it looks dumb so I would say get 9 because it has the speed up feature and no longer plays at a glacial pace. Other than the slow battles, it's a cozy/traditional RPG in tons of ways and I love that about it

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

KingSlime posted:

It actually makes a lot of sense if you think about the sheer volume of toddlers who have a tablet running YouTube 24/7. Lazy bums don't even have to go to work

Horrifying stuff sure but logical

You know as crazy as it sounds I don’t think “this video isn’t dispassionately trying to maximize algorithmic engagement hard enough” is the complaint people have about clickbait thumbnails.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Why play 9 when X and X-2 are available?

(9 is good and should be played)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’ve never played X either. Never had a ps2 and so I didn’t really notice when FFX was released and have never felt the need to play it.

Should I?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Snake Maze posted:

You know as crazy as it sounds I don’t think “this video isn’t dispassionately trying to maximize algorithmic engagement hard enough” is the complaint people have about clickbait thumbnails.

I mean the real reason is they just like to whine online

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Square should bring back Triple Triad as a CCG. I'd play it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I’ve never played X either. Never had a ps2 and so I didn’t really notice when FFX was released and have never felt the need to play it.

Should I?

X is really good, probably my 3rd favorite FF after IV and VI. Definitely better than IX.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the real reason is they just like to whine online

Yah this is the angriest thread I follow by a wide margin

Wildtortilla posted:

Should I?

Yes! I remember hating the aesthetic n the character designs but once I got around to playing it turns out it's proper turn-based final fantasy and it's pretty badass for that reason alone.

I never played X-2 n probably never will but if you like final fantasy I think X is a really cool and historically significant entry. Given that it's a ps2 turn based RPG I think it's aged pretty well too

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 15, 2022

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Giving Nintendo my money so I can whine about it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You must not follow lots and lots of threads if anything in this one qualifies as "angry"

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wildtortilla posted:

Should I?

X is the best post-SNES Final Fantasy game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You must not follow lots and lots of threads if anything in this one qualifies as "angry"

I'm pretty selective about how I spend my free time yeah and rarely go near gbs etc. I do read lots of other threads in games

Also I love the bad with money thread it feeds my soul

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My favorite one is the ginger beard man who is in every thumbnail and always looks like he's about to tell you his dad died, and every video title is like "So... We need to talk about this..."

Edit: I just checked and he's evolved. He no longer looks sad, he now appears to be incapable of any kind of facial expression at all

That beard dont look very 'ginger'.

Also SEO and the kind of people it creates is depressing poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No this thread is up there, especially since a lot of posters go out of their way to find Stuff to be mad at

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

No this thread is up there, especially since a lot of posters go out of their way to find Stuff to be mad at
Your mad about people being mad.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i am very passionate about nintendo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

American McGay posted:

Your mad about people being mad.

I mean not at this moment but I have been in the past yeah

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Does Nintendo ever adjust prices or offer refunds? I bought chocobo mystery dungeon for full price two days ago :negative:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Does Nintendo ever adjust prices or offer refunds? I bought chocobo mystery dungeon for full price two days ago :negative:

Not unless you live in a country that forces them to do refunds, in which case they might refund you if you sue them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hrist posted:

I never played Mario Kart mobile. So it's all new content to me!

I did a brief write up for it in my Mario Kart thread:

quote:

Mario Kart Tour is a mobile game from 2019; it is free to play and supports microtransactions. While there is an obvious stigma around free to play mobile games as being shameless lovely cash-grabs, I'll actually step up to bat for this one - the game doesn't pull any bullshit like "race tickets" where you can only race a certain number of times per day without spending money, or really much pay-to-win nonsense. It has "fake" multiplayer against bots with human-sounding names, but does feature limited live multiplayer support. Karts auto-accelerate and the player handles turning, drifting, and using items, and there's a silly number of racers, karts, and gliders to unlock via loot boxes and progression, and all karts and drivers handle the same. Yeah the game is simplified but there's still some luck and skill involved, and getting "high scores" is kind of contingent on using rarer racers, karts, and gliders, but none of that hampers your ability to get first place in a race and have a good time racing across a pretty good selection of courses right out of the gate without spending a dime, and "rubies" (the in-game currency) are unlocked at a pretty decent clip without spending money. For a free mobile game, they could have made it WAY worse.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

uPen posted:

Not unless you live in a country that forces them to do refunds, in which case they might refund you if you sue them.

Stupid loving company

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Stupid loving company

Idk, I have no experience with asking for refunds but I feel like it's worth a shot especially because didn't all the weird mtx stuff get added after the review copies went out? Stupid lovely situation.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
im malding because i have to be at work instead of playing triangle strategy

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Contrary to popular belief, IX is actually my favorite Final Fantasy. It just is so consistently solid and good that no one ever needs to defend it, because who could dislike it? Its one flaw is that the battle system is probably the slowest, but the Switch version has built-in cheats to speed it up or even circumvent it.

VIII I believe I have already made clear is an underappreciated gem if you're willing to look past the surface presentation. Alternatively or supplementarily a goon with plenty of time on their hands can check out Cool Ghost's LP on the LP archive, which may contain all of the insanely obscure stuff any sane person would miss (this is also, according to legend, the only SA LP of FFVIII that isn't a disaster).

FFX is also a good game but my controversial Final Fantasy opinion is that X-2 is a much better game and I stand by that.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Looper posted:

im malding because i have to be at work instead of playing triangle strategy

:same:

I'm still early on but the game owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, it kinda is. I post about being excited about more Mario Kart tracks and someone immediately posts after me a big post on how the tracks are actually bad because the graphically fidelity of them is slightly worse.