Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mattgertz/status/1503800092242939908?s=21

Look at all these Yankees crying. Maybe move to a lower latitude dipshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/mattgertz/status/1503800092242939908?s=21

Look at all these Yankees crying. Maybe move to a lower latitude dipshit

Dallas' sunrise in early January would be 8:30 local time. East-west matters too.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Just leave it alone, if you're not equipped to handle a 1-hour time change once every 6 months you belong in the old folks' home.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want darkness after 8PM motherfuckers I don’t care whose future I have to mortgage to get it

And I do not want darkness before 6PM, ever

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

Dallas' sunrise in early January would be 8:30 local time. East-west matters too.

Oh it’s bad for Dallas too? I love this loving bill.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

jokes posted:

I want darkness after 8 motherfuckers I don’t care whose future I have to mortgage to get it

And I do not want darkness before 6, ever

You'll get it at the end of the year old timer!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

zoux posted:

Please, no, we can only take so much..

E: .. of everyone’s money to prop up our banks and law firms

jokes fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 15, 2022

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

zoux posted:

I mean it'd be 8:17 in Houston too. I don't care either way, but the argument has always been not wanting kids to wait at bus stops in the dark, and this bill will definitely do that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I wonder if the house will pass that bill now.

For those wondering about it, while Rick Scott was governor, FL passed a law to stay on daylight time year round. However, federal law at the moment only allows for a state to be permanently on standard time (like IL, HI, and AZ) or switch twice a year.

Rick Scott and Marco Rubio have thus been working to make the change to federal law, and this is the first movement on it in four years.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

saintonan posted:

I mean it'd be 8:17 in Houston too. I don't care either way, but the argument has always been not wanting kids to wait at bus stops in the dark, and this bill will definitely do that.
Simple, keep the clocks fixed to DST year-round and just push the start of school back an hour like it should be anyway, bing bang boom everyone's happy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well not all the parents who have to work at 8.

But maybe they shouldn’t a had kids

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

Well not all the parents who have to work at 8.

But maybe they shouldn’t a had kids

Look, I was told this was about what was best for the kids, what’s best for the kids is start school later, and it is complete coincidence that that is also what is best for me personally, I am thinking only of the children here

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1503830100357402628

Hey, when little Marco is right, he’s right

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Or like, just do standard time instead. Because it is the superior time.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nodding along with lil marco until five seconds later when he says from 7-9am kids should be in the sugar cane fields anyway

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If you're not sending your child to school at 5:30am for sports are you even really a WASP Texan

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ReidRansom posted:

Or like, just do standard time instead. Because it is the superior time.

Some places already do year round standard time. That was an option. This just allows year round DST which was not before.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

If you're not sending your child to school at 5:30am for sports are you even really a WASP Texan

I had to get on the bus around then not for sports but because I grew up in the rural panhandle and the bus routes took a couple hours depending on where you were.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Over the last decade, they have both moved school start times earlier and end times later in all the school disricts I have worked in. If they did adjust start times later, it would also likely slowly change the schedule to start even earlier over time to increase instructional minutes even more.

Where I work currently, we start at 8:10 and end at 4:00. I can imagine moving everything forward an hour would make doing any sports or after school programs that much more miserable. Buses would be a nightmare in even more traffic too.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I went to zero-hour does that count? Great way to get a good parking spot though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There’s a plane pulling a banner over downtown right now that says “PROTECT TRANS FOLX HEALTHCARE” and can someone explain the point of folx to me

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

zoux posted:

There’s a plane pulling a banner over downtown right now that says “PROTECT TRANS FOLX HEALTHCARE” and can someone explain the point of folx to me

https://www.dictionary.com/e/letter-x-gender-neutral-language/

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

zoux posted:

The plane company charges by the letter and they were trying to save a few bucks.

PRTCT TRNS FOLX HLTHCARE (stop)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Folk and folks aren't gendered. They are already inclusive of everyone.

I vote they're just trying to be edgy.

e: and how do you deal with a possessive X? Folx'? Dumb

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

zoux posted:

It's twitter brain worms, don't worry about it irl

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

That may be the intent, but in my experience, it is not well-liked in those communities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also maybe they should be flying that plane over Plano or New Braunfels instead of the one place where it will do the least good. Unless the point is to signal to SXSW folx

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I genuinely do not care if we use a national standard DST or standard time. Pick one and stick with it so I can just remember one offset. I guess I already know and remember UTC -6 so let's do that and drat the consequences.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

zoux posted:

Also maybe they should be flying that plane over Plano or New Braunfels instead of the one place where it will do the least good. Unless the point is to signal to SXSW folx

I mean it probably is performative, yes. I just used that link to describe why they chose that bit of theater specifically.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've seen folx before. I get the rationale behind latinx or mx., but those are degendering gendered language. Folks is non-gendered to start with. So I want to know where it came from and why it's used. It'd be like if a bunch of people stared using y'xll: it doesn't make any sense beyond "look at how progressive my language is"

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Noon should mean that the star we orbit is at it's zenith. Anything else is heresy and they should BURN!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I've seen folx before. I get the rationale behind latinx or mx., but those are degendering gendered language. Folks is non-gendered to start with. So I want to know where it came from and why it's used. It'd be like if a bunch of people stared using y'xll: it doesn't make any sense beyond "look at how progressive my language is"

You're in Austin, right? I feel like you're answering your own question here.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

zoux posted:

"Folx—used especially to explicitly signal the inclusion of groups commonly marginalized" depending on how much you like merriam-webster, of course

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Plan R posted:

Noon should mean that the star we orbit is at it's zenith. Anything else is heresy and they should BURN!

this is good. a clock based around an equal amount of time before and after the shortest shadow of the day

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

"Folx—used especially to explicitly signal the inclusion of groups commonly marginalized" depending on how much you like merriam-webster, of course

huh, even the dictionary says it's virtue signaling

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone does social signals, I was just wondering if it was more than that.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah, basically It's used, well, to signal that 'Hey we aren't assholes' if its something that's not immediately obvious like, idk, a bakery or a gym.

Whether or not it's really *warranted* outside of those applications is unclear, especially for this (though if they do charge by the letter, it would make sense)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it just makes me think of zippy 50s billboard advertising, like QUIK KLEAN

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will say I think it's the first time I've ever seen a banner without a non-insane conservative message over Austin.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

for every right

the state revokes

i'll add an x

for diff'rent folx

burma shave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

I will say I think it's the first time I've ever seen a banner without a non-insane conservative message over Austin.

it could have been a quick turnaround operation; sunday or monday there was a THANK U AG PAXTON FOR PROTECTING KIDS plane banner