Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Why is he calling himself Elona now?

The white part is a translation of Kadyrov's message. I'm guessing the -a is to feminize Elon's name. Because while Kadyrov is a creative monster he's apparently a basic bitch at insults.

And apparently doesn't see how easily it can be done to his name - Ladyrov

Eeeeew I'm sad I typed that

Edit: oh God terrible snype have some PENAIDs
https://twitter.com/CAT_UXO/status/1503826576378630151?t=E8ejZKON3gPuOfAzcNWagw&s=19

They're advanced technology, why are you laughing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

EscapeHere posted:

What about shelling merchant shipping of NATO flagged vessels?

russia straight up shot down an airliner in 2014 and killed 300 civilians. there is a LOT of space under the rug where we can sweep things and ignore them if we don't want to escalate a conflict

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Paladinus posted:

Ilona is a woman's name in Hungary and Finland. In Russian Elon Musk is written Ilon Mask.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Can't the russians just stay and terror bomb for a few months to get concessions at the negotiations? It's pretty obvious they don't give a gently caress about civilian lives, humanitarian warfare, Geneva or any convention.

Look, I know this isn't going to be well received here but the only real comparison we have for civilian deaths during a modern full scale invasion is Shock and Awe in 2003.

During the initial invasion, 21 days from March 20 - Apr 9, A Dossier on Civilian Casualties in Iraq, 2003-2005 puts the total number of civilian deaths as a direct result of US action at 6,616. For reference Iraq in 2003 had a population of about 25.5 million. If anyone can find contemporary death estimates for that time period I'd be grateful.

The most updated number I can find for the Russian invasion is the OHCHR March 13 update which puts the death count at 636. March 13 would be 17 days into an invasion of a country with 44 million people. Of course that number is low, but I doubt it's off by a factor of 10 (pls don't quote me lol).

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

Because of that telegram post and because he's a peformative piece of poo poo

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Also it looks like this got missed last page - video of Zelensky meeting with the prime ministers from the EU/NATO
https://twitter.com/ohsendit/status/1503836381021356033?t=jsGzCilKg99H_Rz6G6ppPw&s=19

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

EscapeHere posted:

If Russia is saying "hey we're doing a blockade here dudes, if you cross this line we will gently caress the ships up okay" and the ships go there anyway I don't think it will trigger article five.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

And now in more loving stupid nonsense: Kadyrov is now feuding with Elon Musk
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1503832576305340436?t=FsR7VVshTTU3CmxU1EpL1w&s=19
Living. In. The. Future. Sucks.

If Kadyov or Putin end up having Elon Musk assassinated I will never stop laughing

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

EscapeHere posted:

No one-off incident is going to trigger Article 5. It will take a premeditated, concerted attack of significant size and duration onto the soil of a member state.

Kopitar
May 21, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

Has there ever been an amphibious assault directly into a major city? The tweets I've been seeing imply they are going for that as opposed to a beach somewhere that isn't, like, full of metal hedgehogs and people with big guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Inchon

it wasn't heavily defended though

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

If Kadyov or Putin end up having Elon Musk assassinated I will never stop laughing

between picking a fight with kadyrov and threatening to kick putin's rear end we can assume that musk is REALLY not taking his polycule breakup with grimes very well

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1503645513337516034

Replacement to Era secure communication system looking kinda good

That looks like a SIM box. I've seen a lot of them used by people selling cheap VoIP calls. They are used to transfer VoIP calls to the GSM provider.
Usually in a shifty way by buying for example 100 SIMs from a provider offering say 200 free minutes, and then you sell the minutes online to a VoIP provider at a decent price. The trick is to keep switching the SIMs as they get used up or banned.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

No one-off incident is going to trigger Article 5. It will take a premeditated, concerted attack of significant size and duration onto the soil of a member state.

While any member state could call up a meeting based on a single incident and request Art.5, it's unlikely that there would be a unanimous decision to go to war based on something minimal. Especially when the adversary is a nuclear state with the largest army in Europe, even if they're constantly testing the limit.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/15/kyiv-facing-dangerous-moment-amid-signs-of-russias-tightening-grip

quote:

Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy has acknowledged that Ukraine will not become a Nato member, in a significant concession on a day when Kyiv was pounded by Russian shells and missiles and the invading force tightened its grip on the capital.
So this is obviously a lolly for Putin.

But what about EU membership?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Such a tight grip on the capital that the entire southern flank is open for travel to and from that even leaders from EU countries can come in for a stop.
Same rag that published Bernie Sander's stupid take on the situation prior to Russia invading.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

It’s less a Lilly and more him being a realist. It’s not new and not a concession. He’s been talking about NATO this way (you told us we could join then told us we couldn’t. You misled us.) for a bit now.

EscapeHere
Jan 16, 2005

Nenonen posted:

While any member state could call up a meeting based on a single incident and request Art.5, it's unlikely that there would be a unanimous decision to go to war based on something minimal. Especially when the adversary is a nuclear state with the largest army in Europe, even if they're constantly testing the limit.

Wait, article 5 requires unanimity ?

So Russia could invade the Baltics and Orban can just veto it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

EU membership will probably be on the table long before NATO. The NATO issue is overblown, IMO. Zelinskyy was trying to use the invasion to make it happen very soon, while NATO is just sticking to its usual standards and timetable.

NATO membership for Ukraine is just as possible now as it ever was. It's just going to take as long as it always has been expected to.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Ok but hear me out, what if the Russians light a NATO flag on fire and throw it over the border into Poland? Wouldn't that immediately trigger Article 5 full-scale NATO nuking Russia?

Seriously some of you make the ridiculous Pentagon briefing questions sound smart by comparison.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Such a tight grip on the capital that the entire southern flank is open for travel to and from that even leaders from EU countries can come in for a stop.
Same rag that published Bernie Sander's stupid take on the situation prior to Russia invading.

But i've been hearing it from the The Telegraph some hours ago and now my own national media (NRK) is reporting the same thing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

That looks like a SIM box. I've seen a lot of them used by people selling cheap VoIP calls. They are used to transfer VoIP calls to the GSM provider.
Usually in a shifty way by buying for example 100 SIMs from a provider offering say 200 free minutes, and then you sell the minutes online to a VoIP provider at a decent price. The trick is to keep switching the SIMs as they get used up or banned.

Yep, they keep popping in sims and have what i assume is 3-4 voip -> gsm at 18-24 lines. All their troops seem to use GSM for communication now, which is getting scooped up by US SIGINT probably.

https://twitter.com/ua_industrial/status/1503704922835103744/photo/1

Note the 2000s era Nokia

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

This mini highway of hell is interesting insofar as these are the remnants of a Crimean division (Z in a box)
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1503831800510140425?cxt=HHwWksC-9cHD194pAAAA

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

So looks like Ukraine took out a number of helicopters in the last couple of days
Thread with satellite imagery
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1503836531273998340?t=6gyxwVH3zbvzxZP5KKuSRA&s=19
Smoke rising over the airport
https://twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1503837020912861184?t=R6rN3mPpe2-TGR7XBKZEtw&s=19

In bad news, Kharkiv is getting hit really hard tonight
https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1503837504306577408?t=6zGEa1a-RDpTPxAGn5ChhA&s=19

Twitter space I'm currently listening to that has a bunch of people from Ukraine leading the conversation https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1OyJADooBNqGb

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

With Poland's PM literally face-to-face with Zelensky today, I imagine they are mulling over options such as Poland providing some form of direct support, perhaps SAM coverage for humanitarian corridors and supplies and trying to avoid dragging all of NATO in like with how the US did not drag NATO into Iraq because Iraq never attacked the US. Still risky as hell but if the Polish equipment stays in Ukraine then Russian counter-attacks would at least not be against Polish soil.

Canadian here, our Conservative party did call for the No-Fly-Zone that Zelensky requested right after he spoke with our Parliament today. But they're not the party in power and I don't expect them to be anytime within the next 4 years. Plus we're Canada and not about to convince or coerce the rest of NATO to do anything beyond humanitarian assistance anytime this century.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

54.4 crowns posted:

But i've been hearing it from the The Telegraph some hours ago and now my own national media (NRK) is reporting the same thing.

You could just go on social media and ask Ukrainians in Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1503819240855453696?s=20&t=qyQ1FsNsfbFIzVRrjzoZaQ

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

KitConstantine posted:

The white part is a translation of Kadyrov's message. I'm guessing the -a is to feminize Elon's name. Because while Kadyrov is a creative monster he's apparently a basic bitch at insults.

Ah, didn't see the last paragraph.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Edit: tweet quoted a bad tweet

Not sure if this is true but,

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

Am only seeing that from Russian propaganda sources so far.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

Not about the loving inabilities of them to take Kyiv, Ukraines glorius fight isn't about glory but to fight of living under a Putin regime.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

We already addressed this in CSPAM, it's a meme from Chinese social media that leaked onto Twitter.

Walli actually died trying to suck his own dick.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I could buy that he got killed, but killed 20 mins after arriving? By a spec ops team? What's the scenario they're claiming here, that the Russians both knew exactly where he would be and also have spec ops teams on hand in the middle of the besieged city?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

54.4 crowns posted:

Not about the loving inabilities of them to take Kyiv, Ukraines glorius fight isn't about glory but to fight of living under a Putin regime.

I don't know what you're talking about at this point.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hahaha, I've also been trying to parse that post. No idea what the gently caress they're trying to say there.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like those crazy bastards are gonna try a landing at Odesa
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1503844630189727750?t=Fm3EFDZGeHB-LQmdGp4x-g&s=19
A night landing. In 2 degrees C water. Interesting strategy Cotton

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gorman Thomas posted:

Look, I know this isn't going to be well received here but the only real comparison we have for civilian deaths during a modern full scale invasion is Shock and Awe in 2003.

During the initial invasion, 21 days from March 20 - Apr 9, A Dossier on Civilian Casualties in Iraq, 2003-2005 puts the total number of civilian deaths as a direct result of US action at 6,616. For reference Iraq in 2003 had a population of about 25.5 million. If anyone can find contemporary death estimates for that time period I'd be grateful.

The most updated number I can find for the Russian invasion is the OHCHR March 13 update which puts the death count at 636. March 13 would be 17 days into an invasion of a country with 44 million people. Of course that number is low, but I doubt it's off by a factor of 10 (pls don't quote me lol).

What a relief for the surviving family of the hundreds of dead

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Tbh if they go ahead with a night landing we finally hit the point where its not even darkly funny anymore. It's just sad.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

They were originally saying their local media was reporting on Zelenksyy giving up on NATO membership, not that the media was reporting a "seige" around Kyiv.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

What a relief for the surviving family of the hundreds of dead

Yeah man that's definitely what i was trying to say, thanks

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Chalks posted:

I could buy that he got killed, but killed 20 mins after arriving? By a spec ops team? What's the scenario they're claiming here, that the Russians both knew exactly where he would be and also have spec ops teams on hand in the middle of the besieged city?

Russia is having a 'special operation', not *** which gets one jailed. So they all are 'special operation forces', doesn't mean Spetsnaz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Holy gently caress! That is a crazy explosion

Looks like they put it after a big break or obstacle in the road so that it could only be triggered by a tank, not a car

Shageletic posted:

I hope that this is a good time for people to step back and dissociate propogandistic social media from actual gains in the field, and that tactical victories does not amount operational ones.

Magical positive thinking is such a scourge.

Can you at least give an example of this happening? Quote someone? Anything except just 'look at all these unnamed naive dumbasses, unlike me :smuggo:'

I've read almost this entire thread and found everyone to have a pretty solid grasp of how things are going, to all indications. So I think this is some weird sniping that doesn't add anything and is something of a pattern.

Charlotte Hornets posted:

These Pentagon press briefings aren't worth anything. They also said they have no idea if any Americans are fighting as volunteers

Here's a hint: they actually do have an idea and don't want to say :ohdear:

The briefings are actually pretty good, if only because they have proved quite trustworthy

Yeah that's bs to me, 'only twenty minutes after going into action' lmao as if the Russians know exactly what a single person in the opposing lines is doing at any given time. Just way too convenient as propaganda.

He may be dead, I don't know, but if he is we'll know from an actual source soon enough.