Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fire claws I’m fine with because they’re in your face and huge so you just switch up to explosive or built for close damage warrior bows and melt them down. It’s poo poo like tiderippers or shellsnappers where that early phase of the fight where I haven’t taken down it’s weapons that it’s deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The one thing that I think puts Fireclaws below Thunderjaws for me is that even the Apex varieties are weak to Freeze, which remains the best elemental effect in the game. So unless you're very annoyingly trying to farm the belly sacs you can unload a lot of damage on them just alternating between Cold arrows and blowing up the Blaze compartments. They're probably still second place for me though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lord Hydronium posted:

Shellsnappers are obnoxiously hard to kill and have lots of annoying attacks, but Fireclaws are aggressively deadly.

If I spot the flying buttslam attack in time they're not too bad.

exquisite tea posted:

Thunderjaws, specifically Apex Thunderjaws, might have gotten the single biggest glow-up from Horizon Zero Dawn. I used to take down those suckers with all blue gear, now they're super nasty and relentlessly aggressive.

Shellsnappers are this game's "don't hoard your ammo" check, lob enough explosive spikes onto their shells and they're helpless against you.

I'd say they're just the most dramatic example of the ammo hoard check. One thing that's tough about this game is finding it hard to know whether killing a machine has been "worth it" by the end. I don't really know the value of the loot all combined so I'm never sure if going all out against a machine is setting me back or not.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The fact that they have that volatile sludge which seems to be needed for all high end ammo and you can only carry like 15 of it or whatever is really annoying. Its made less annoying by getting Ammo expert but it still is annoying.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
We needs to learn the cinematic masterpiece Wild Wild West and add a giant robot spider.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Or just exploit powershot for ammo refill at a campfire, hardly consume any sludge because of it, have like 600 sludge despite using adv elementals and spikes.

my toughest fight was getting two birds with one stone and collecting web sacs and apex hearts from the same apex fireclaw. But if not for the sac webbing they are probably not the hardest with frost weakness but that they are always in my face still makes them do more damage to me in a short time than anything else ive fought.

Toughest in the wild that is. The toughest enemies have been in quests where you get no respite as you get gangbanged from several aggressive machines. The last arena challenge and Grimhorns on Zo's quest and two fireclaws + rebels on Talanahs quest have been among the toughest for that reason.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 15, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

A complaint about the UI, they need to make it easier to change weapons, arrow types, sometimes I swear it won't go on the arrow type you press to because that radial dial is so finnicky and especially in the middle of a intense fight.

Also why can't you switch valor surge in battle? Switching between Elemental Fury + Power Shot by menu is really annoying. You should be able to favorite them so they appear in your weapon menu. Like on VH you really need different things in different times so it requires switching especially if you want to kill the enemy fast without wasting too much resources.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

The fact that they have that volatile sludge which seems to be needed for all high end ammo and you can only carry like 15 of it or whatever is really annoying. Its made less annoying by getting Ammo expert but it still is annoying.

Ammo in general is kinda annoying to manage. You get incentive/skills for crafting them at a tool bench but you can’t overdo it. You have to craft to your current capacity, then go to your item box, manually select them, store then, then go back to the bench to craft more.

You should definitely be able to craft straight to storage and it should give you additional spots to restock outside of shelters. As it currently stands, it’s a very limiting system.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

In case you want to read up on why Guerrila Games decided to specifically piss off Neddy Seagoon...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You should definitely be able to craft straight to storage and it should give you additional spots to restock outside of shelters. As it currently stands, it’s a very limiting system.

Yeah not in the wild but being able to craft directly to storage at a workbench would be nice. It would just be a simple handwave shortcut to assume that she's storing it in the chest nearby without the player performing that action themselves (more believable than how the magic loot teleportation works in the wild).

Ulio posted:

A complaint about the UI, they need to make it easier to change weapons, arrow types, sometimes I swear it won't go on the arrow type you press to because that radial dial is so finnicky and especially in the middle of a intense fight.

I feel like it only just got finicky in the last few days. Not sure why I'd be doing something different all of a sudden but I notice I have to have the stick all the way to the edge to point at the weapon/ammo I want for my selection to register.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Opponent AI in Strike is so loving weird. I played one game against this "Experienced" Strike opponent where they constantly stayed out of range and defeated me in the end after a mistake I made.

Then I repeat the same match, only this time the AI starts Overdriving their pieces for no reason, to the point where their big 10HP piece only has 4HP remaining. I ended up winning.

Strike is kind of a bummer, because I feel like it could have been good, but the mechanics seem to greatly advantage staying on the defense (and the higher difficulty AI reflects this).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I feel like they could easily balance Strike better if you could only move once when down to your final piece. Right now some machines become superpowered monsters when you kill all of the other pieces because they can move twice, attack twice, and overcharge twice. This gets annoying when opponents use their double moves to run away constantly, but it can work in your favor, as well. So in most cases the winning move is to just sacrifice a bunch of 1pt machines and demolish all of your opponent's pieces in one Stormbird wombo combo.

Simple fix, really. You can only move once when down to your final piece. Hire me GG.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Finished main game and I like the game overall. Coming from HZD, I never really got into all the new weapons and valor surge stuff, just stuck to elemental soaking and high damage/tear arrows on specific spots. I got so good at it, that farming Stormbird parts for armor upgrades near the end was easy. R1 on the weapon wheel for valor surge activation was not good. My most common activation of valor surge was while cleaning up Watchers and Burrows and trying to quickly knock a 2nd arrow before they go into alert phase and instead Aloy puts on warpaint and blows all of my purple bar.

Lots of thoughts on end game and sequels, but to start Zenith Island was waaay too easy. I died multiple times in HZD during the approach of the Hades parade and on the Spire plateau (Alight?). However, getting to use the sweet Oseram guns made it fun, and just grinding the final boss fights was just classic video games. Zenith Island was just repeatedly finding little nooks of Specters who are standing next to explosive canisters and blowing them up mostly from stealth. The Regalla fight was harder than the Erik fight. Dutch lady megazord was just a bigger weirder Clamberjaw. I kept waiting for someone to throw me plasma wrist blasters to mow down Slaughterspines or for Aloy to climb into her own megazord, but nope, just kill the art lady and do some exposition and then roll credits (which were awwwesome).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

exquisite tea posted:

Thunderjaws, specifically Apex Thunderjaws, might have gotten the single biggest glow-up from Horizon Zero Dawn. I used to take down those suckers with all blue gear, now they're super nasty and relentlessly aggressive.

Shellsnappers are this game's "don't hoard your ammo" check, lob enough explosive spikes onto their shells and they're helpless against you.

from experience, killing apex thunderjaws at lower levels with blue weapons is doable, it just takes like 20 minutes between the reduced effectiveness of standard attacks and reduced launcher ammo. once you get the launchers off, you're fine if you can get cover between it and you, since it's quite happy to sit at range and blast a wall while you pop out and shoot something.

scorchers are the most dangerous IMO, because they very much will not sit in the distance shooting at you, and will instead close the distance with their mega dash, and if it connects you're out about 600HP. it's also fairly difficult to predict and dodge

of the new machines, i'd probably rank slitherfangs the hardest, since none of the others are particularly inclined to get up in your face ever, and the tail shock attack is high damage and can come out of nowhere if you're distracted and miss the (admittedly very obvious) windup. honorable mention to the tremortusk seeking shock blobs if you don't manage to outrun them. shellsnappers im not counting because half their difficulty is just that burrow teleport is a bullshit mechanic

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh right, I haven't even fought a Tremortusk yet. Other than unique endgame machines I think that's the only thing I haven't encountered yet.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The worst part about Slitherfangs is how they always move out of your way just a fraction of a second before you fire. :argh:

Otherwise I really like them: their design, the way they interact with the environment, and all the fun explodey bits they have to shoot at.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One advantage of rolling with the Fire Clawstrider pet build: Those raptors completely destroy Slitherfangs.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

We needs to learn the cinematic masterpiece Wild Wild West and add a giant robot spider.

We've fought Corruptors and Death Machines so far--let's take on a reactivated Horus with our trusty bow and arrow next time!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Madurai posted:

We've fought Corruptors and Death Machines so far--let's take on a reactivated Horus with our trusty bow and arrow next time!

oh right, Nemesis probably knows how to reactivate the machines doesn't it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm surprised they didn't do any giant scorpions actually, for a game centred on the American West. Maybe with the pincers it would seem too similar to the Shell-Walker?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Lobok posted:

I'm surprised they didn't do any giant scorpions actually, for a game centred on the American West. Maybe with the pincers it would seem too similar to the Shell-Walker?

I mean the shell walkers already kind of resemble scorpions.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like they could easily balance Strike better if you could only move once when down to your final piece. Right now some machines become superpowered monsters when you kill all of the other pieces because they can move twice, attack twice, and overcharge twice. This gets annoying when opponents use their double moves to run away constantly, but it can work in your favor, as well. So in most cases the winning move is to just sacrifice a bunch of 1pt machines and demolish all of your opponent's pieces in one Stormbird wombo combo.

Simple fix, really. You can only move once when down to your final piece. Hire me GG.

I gave up on Machine Strike immediately after the first non-tutorial match against the beginner player in Chainscrape, who absolutely demolished my entire team with her last piece in a single turn. In a way I'm thankful how fast the game communicated to me that I should not bother.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 15, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lobok posted:

Guerrilla have said they purposely stayed away from insect/arachnid designs to avoid the machines too closely resembling the Faro bots.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

There was a big, highly detailed armature high up in one of the central rooms of a cauldron that looked *extremely* spidery, and I had an arrow trained on that thing for most of the time I was in there in case it was actually an enemy about to drop on my head

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Guerrilla have said they purposely stayed away from insect/arachnid designs to avoid the machines too closely resembling the Faro bots.

Ah, that too. I guess even if they picked a design that wasn't too similar an insect design nevertheless calls to mind locusts / swarms and that kind of association is like the Faro bots.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I liked all the new robots in this game especially the New Zenith ones

Like except for the shellsnapper they're all pretty fun to fight.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

exquisite tea posted:

I can see that with arachnids but imo you could make a lot of insects not resemble faro bots much at all beyond their legs. Many insects already look as different to faro arachnids as a crab/shellwalker does. The wings and eyes alone of some can give a whole other impression. Something like a dragonfly for example, they are usually solitary too so no swarm association.

I dunno i think insects have potential and can be made more "gaia-like". They already managed it with shellwalkers, would be that different with many insects.

Anyway, i usually dont have a problem with detached parts disappearing except for stormbird cannons that seem to vanish half the times you tear one off?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Falukorv posted:

What machines do you find the hardest to fight? After having fought everything, I gotta hand it to apex fireclaws.

The fight just outside Thebes—I think it’s an Apex Thunderjaw or Ravager, one of those two—is the only one that I loathed to the point of shutting the game off for a day to calm down. Bastard would not stay down after a dozen tries and I got lucky just before my DualSense went flying across the living room.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ShadowedFlames posted:

The fight just outside Thebes—I think it’s an Apex Thunderjaw or Ravager, one of those two—is the only one that I loathed to the point of shutting the game off for a day to calm down. Bastard would not stay down after a dozen tries and I got lucky just before my DualSense went flying across the living room.

Weird I really loved that fight , but I was playing the game on normal. I just thought it was a fun fight. I set up traps and brace shot that fucker.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

Weird I really loved that fight , but I was playing the game on normal. I just thought it was a fun fight. I set up traps and brace shot that fucker.

I played on normal too. I just hit a wall on that fight. :shrug:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I didn't even realize it was apex

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ShadowedFlames posted:

You can totally cheese that by abusing the ruin opposite the gate as cover, the thunderjaw gets stuck and can't see you while you can detach its parts one after the other.

That said, story-driven encounters are deceiving, you can detach all parts you like but they will disappear. Happend in this fight as well as other main quest fights.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Hobo Clown posted:

I learned way too late that I can refill my medicine berries by holding down the up button and don't have to go all the way to a stash.

:aaaaa: This would have been helpful information before beating the game

exquisite tea posted:

Vast Silver is mentioned in the datapoints and very conspicuously too. The last discoverable world datapoint entry is a chatlog between two scientists theorizing that VS was never really captured and dismantled as once claimed. Past Silver. Curiously the final line ends with the sentence "if you wanna talk to the singularity" which shares the same name as the final story mission. "Odyssey Ready?" was the last world datapoint in Zero Dawn so I think this is all very intentionally pointing toward Vast Silver factoring heavily into the third game.

Do you know what "cc" is in this datapoint?
DrWyvern > they forced it to solve the cc in an offline bunker or smt, no conn to the outside world

Funny story on Tallneck at Stand of the Sentinels: I was screwing around on top of some mountain and knew a Tallneck was west of me. I kept heading that way and eventually spotted it below me in the distance. For fun, I thought I would try gliding to it. I got a good mountain peak to leap from and went for it. I glided all the way to the Tallneck and landed neatly on the top. I overrode the Tallneck and then either leapt or rappeled off and heard a bunch of explosions and got a bunch of machine killed notifications. I later read online that the forest floor is a bunch of Stalkers, but I never saw a single one! Thanks Tallneck!

edit on Tallneck and a trophy: somehow this did _not_ trigger the trophy for a 60 second glide. Must have been 45 to 55 seconds of gliding.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Falukorv posted:

What machines do you find the hardest to fight? After having fought everything, I gotta hand it to apex fireclaws.

I don't think they're particularly hard, but I don't enjoy fighting the spikesnouts or clamberjaws. There is just nothing satisfying about fighting them. And they have really annoying attacks that can lead to you being incapacitated over and over.

Can't think of the name, but the biggest bird machine is brutal. Their attacks go through trees and structures so it's near impossible to hide. And they can get real high up there where arrows don't reach.

Fighting is definitely not as enjoyable as it was in the first game. I particularly hate how stealth is done. If I'm hiding in the brush and shoot a machine far away, they immediately know where I am once they're struck. Just makes stealth mostly pointless in the game.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Niwrad posted:

I don't think they're particularly hard, but I don't enjoy fighting the spikesnouts or clamberjaws. There is just nothing satisfying about fighting them. And they have really annoying attacks that can lead to you being incapacitated over and over.

Can't think of the name, but the biggest bird machine is brutal. Their attacks go through trees and structures so it's near impossible to hide. And they can get real high up there where arrows don't reach.

Fighting is definitely not as enjoyable as it was in the first game. I particularly hate how stealth is done. If I'm hiding in the brush and shoot a machine far away, they immediately know where I am once they're struck. Just makes stealth mostly pointless in the game.

I love FW, but I think fighting isn't as enjoyable for the opposite reasons. It feels too easy, and enemies are particularly dumb about piecing together where I am when in stealth. I don't know if it is easier, or if I'm just better at Horizon than I was when I started ZD, and got my rear end kicked repeatedly. Dodge definitely seems too powerful in both games.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Do you know what "cc" is in this datapoint?
DrWyvern > they forced it to solve the cc in an offline bunker or smt, no conn to the outside world

Could it be “Climate Change/Collapse”?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Combat issues are probably due to different difficulties. I played the first horizon on normal, then ultra hard and started this one on very hard. Mis timing a roll can mean I get one shot, my arrows do 6 damage if I just fire them stupidly into armor, etc.

The crocodiles have given me a lot of problems but they aren't any more aggressive than deviljho or nergigante in mhw

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
For machine strike, I beat all the players with just the slaughterspine, which uses all 10 points. I honestly don't know all the intricacies of the other pieces, but this one murdered everything.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Niwrad posted:

That's not true at all as long as you use something that hits only once, like any single arrow fired out of a bow that's not Braced Shot. I take a lot of enemies down and shoot off parts from stealth and it works fine as long as you are patient. If you hit them once it goes to yellow warning, not orange. Wait for the yellow to time out then hit them again and lather, rinse, repeat over and over. You can even use Focused Shot with it to destroy a sub part while doing 400+ each hit. It's how I do a lot of farming. You can even do it from not in a bush as long as you are a ways away and can break LOS and be in cover before the arrow hits. This is all on Hard.

If I use a weapon that hits multiple times then this doesn't work, even if both hits are simultaneous like multi-shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

aarstar posted:

For machine strike, I beat all the players with just the slaughterspine, which uses all 10 points. I honestly don't know all the intricacies of the other pieces, but this one murdered everything.

I looked up where to buy this piece and lmao this owns.