Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, I dunno. My Pixel 6 has been working flawlessly - maybe they have some QA problems? Or the Pro isn't as solid as the plain 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Fingers aren’t dry enough?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

as you can see, the fingerprint icon isn't even present. when it's there, you can put your finger on the screen and it recognizes your press immediately (whether it takes a while or not is beside the point). whatever state my phone is in without the icon present seems to have a problem recognizing a finger press at all aside from flashing the screen blank for a second. its bugged.

also.. the more i think about it, the more im resolving to just return the phone and keep my pixel 5. it's small enough to be comfortable and mostly does everything i need it to do. the overall state of phones these days is that innovation is so few and far between while every company races to make better cameras to placate instagram and tiktok obsessed teenagers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

while every company races to make better cameras to placate instagram and tiktok obsessed teenagers.

What a stupid dogshit take. Better phone cameras do not solely target teenagers using social media dude.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I considered a Pixel 5a 5G but the specs were so close to the phone I was replacing I went with the Pixel 6, and have been happy with it. If you don't like the 6 Pro but are happy with the 5 then it just might not be much of an upgrade for you.

Personally I went with the 6 because it has a flat screen and is just slightly smaller than my previous phone (which is almost exactly the size of the 6 Pro). I was tempted by the telescopic lens but the curved screen and extra $300 made me go for the regular 6.

And the camera on the 6 is fantastic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nwin posted:

Been an iPhone customer for years, but the 12 mini gave both my wife and I problems which required her to buy a new phone because the logic board broke and me to pay $270 because the touch screen stopped working, so we’re thinking about switching. I only have an iPad so I’m not completely stuck in the apple ecosystem.

Apple stores actually aren't really good at diagnosing things and are only trained to do a few things and offer very expensive parts to get you to buy a new model. An independent repair shop may be able to fix your iPhones although Apple really doesn't want that and goes out of their way to not provide parts, etc.

Edit: finding a trustworthy shop can be hard too. I just know of Rossman in NY and somebody in Canada lol

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

CLAM DOWN posted:

What a stupid dogshit take. Better phone cameras do not solely target teenagers using social media dude.

ok fair

i would say more performant cameras are also useful, from a business standpoint, for better google maps user-submitted images, and better video calling image quality (among other things)

both of which are fuel for customers to use first party software that runs ads or gathers information about the customer base. why else would a billion dollar company spend so much R&D on staying relevant and competitive with camera hardware otherwise? because they want people to purely just enjoy their photos better? pretend you're in charge of revenue at google and you don't see the dollar signs when investing in engineering resources on increasing the megapixel count on photos while also decreasing the free storage available on the cloud.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ShoogaSlim posted:

ok fair

i would say more performant cameras are also useful, from a business standpoint, for better google maps user-submitted images, and better video calling image quality (among other things)

both of which are fuel for customers to use first party software that runs ads or gathers information about the customer base. why else would a billion dollar company spend so much R&D on staying relevant and competitive with camera hardware otherwise? because they want people to purely just enjoy their photos better? pretend you're in charge of revenue at google and you don't see the dollar signs when investing in engineering resources on increasing the megapixel count on photos while also decreasing the free storage available on the cloud.

Google is not just a phone company. You touch on it a bit mentioning user submitted photos for Maps, but that obviously isn't the whole picture - Google is also investing tons of resources into AI development and machine learning. Stuff like object recognition needs tons of data to be trained on, which free Photos storage provided. Camera R&D isn't just about packing as much power as they can into a phone, it's also about having commodity hardware with refined software to run it that they can drop into their other pursuits like self-driving cars. We didn't get Night Sight because Google did customer surveys to see what they wanted in their phone camera, we got it because they were already developing algorithms for cleaning up poorly lit scenes and it turned out to be marketable.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's right, pretty much all ages are obsessed with appearing attractive on Instagram.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ShoogaSlim posted:

ok fair

Google recognized a while ago that phones are the primary camera for most people (the best camera is the one you have with you). So getting better equipment in the devices leads to more attractive selling points. The data gathering is definitely there, but geotagging is probably much more useful to them than the actual photo data.

Social video at 720p portrait is not going to benefit from a 48MP sensor with a 4x optical zoom and OIS. Same with 500px square insta pics.

But my vacation photos, good close-ups on the poo poo I'm selling on Etsy, and pretty much everything else that we used to use DSLR for are the perfect beneficiary.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

What a stupid dogshit take.

New thread title time?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
You don't need to use Bixby as your primary assistant on a Galaxy, don't even have to use it at all.

ShoogaSlim posted:

ok fair

Even if they weren't harvesting all that precious data Google would definitely still spend all that R&D on their smartphone cameras, it's probably the most fiercely competitive space among flagship phones.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Does someone really think tiktokers know anything about cameras or are able to discern anything about image quality or anything else? These are people convinced that iphones are some kind of status symbol

Theres no way I'm giving google $35 for a charge block, will any QC3.0 block deliver the best possible charging time for the P6?

ofc this is the first review of the first block I look at

codo27 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 15, 2022

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!

codo27 posted:

Does someone really think tiktokers know anything about cameras or are able to discern anything about image quality or anything else? These are people convinced that iphones are some kind of status symbol

Theres no way I'm giving google $35 for a charge block, will any QC3.0 block deliver the best possible charging time for the P6?

ofc this is the first review of the first block I look at

Pixels are charging via USB-PD, so as long as it's USB-PD compliant at the rated (or above) output wattage then you're good to go. As an example I use the nubia 65W USB-PD PPS compliant charger that came with my Redmagic 7 for the S22 Ultra and the phone detects it as Super Fast Charging 2.0 - Previous many thought you had to buy the Samsung official 45W charger to get the "2.0" spec but you don't, as long as both charger and cable are compliant with the standard, then all is good.

I would always recommend chargers from the likes of Choetech, Anker, Spigen etc. These are Chinese brands but they are of excellent reputation. Ugreen is another one that does good quality charging products.

Edit* As mentioned after my comment here, make sure it's PD 3.0 spec which then allows for the fastest rate supported by the phone.

On a phones note, seriously impressed with my Exynos S22 Ultra. I used the camera more lately and the photos is captures are a generation more refined than my old S20 5G.

Check out this leaf macro from this morning's sunshine through the living room window.

And something a little more technical:

For battery life, I am now 6 days in and with 4G mostly I can get just over 6 hours SoT, whilst with WiFi mostly I am seeing 8+ hours. This is in a town where I can easily get 400Mbps+ 4G/5G (though I have 5G disabled) and my WAN+LAN is Gigabit for reference to speed vs power.

Day 1 (mixed 4G/WiFi):

Day 6 (mostly WiFi):

mrk fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 15, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

codo27 posted:

No. A PPS charger will max out at 23w while a non-PPS charger will max out at 18w.

The total charge time between the two is less than 10 minutes (0-100%) and is front loaded below 50%, but the difference is there.

For further clarity.

QC 3.0 is Qualcomm tech and an older one at that so it doesn't really apply here.

PD 3.0 by itself doesn't mean PPS. PPS is an optional extension on PD 3.0.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 15, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I saw the 3.0 and got a bit sidetracked

The price of everything on amazon, I might as well just pay google their ransom. Or just use poo poo I already have, see how it goes

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a good charger at a reasonable price.

It will charge an S22 Ultra faster than Samsung's official 25w charger.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

mrk posted:

Check out this leaf macro from this morning's sunshine through the living room window.

And something a little more technical:

I am jealous as gently caress of these beautiful macro shots.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I haven't had any luck searching for this, I may just be using the wrong terms. But if I swipe to the left on my pixel's home screen, it goes to the Google news feed, recently it has been showing me just news garbage: doctors hate it when you know this! This 25 y/o retired with millions, investors don't want you to know this! Etc.

How the gently caress do I make this garbage go away, or is that just what it is now? The normal Google news app is fine, if I just ignore that stuff it doesn't come back but the left swipe one doesn't appear to care about that.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Rakeris posted:

I haven't had any luck searching for this, I may just be using the wrong terms. But if I swipe to the left on my pixel's home screen, it goes to the Google news feed, recently it has been showing me just news garbage: doctors hate it when you know this! This 25 y/o retired with millions, investors don't want you to know this! Etc.

How the gently caress do I make this garbage go away, or is that just what it is now? The normal Google news app is fine, if I just ignore that stuff it doesn't come back but the left swipe one doesn't appear to care about that.

Every article should have three dots in the lower right where you can tell google that you are not interested in it/the topic or you can completely block a source.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Screenshot? I see a couple of ads in my Google Now feed (same feed as you have on Pixels) on my Galaxy, but those ads have "Ad" prefixing the title so easy to know. They are targeted ads though, like an ad for EV leasing since I look up EVs often lol, or a product I've searched on Amazon etc.

If you have ever turned off "targeted ads" in any service you use connected to google then you will get random ads. You will be getting ads anyway in anything online, so no point turning targeted ads off because you will get random bollox that is nowhere near relevant to you potential interests anyway.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I have a dumb question and maybe this isn't even the right place to ask it, but...

I have a nightstand with a power strip with a thousand USB block power cords in it. I hate it and I want to replace it with a single power strip that has a USB-C and USB-A ports instead. I have a pixel 3XL, a ipad pro, a macbook pro, a switch, and a steam deck. These all take usb-c as power, but is there any risk that using one cord from the power strip could damage any one of these devices? This stuff is all so confusing between PD, the various power outputs, fast charging etc.

I just want one cord to swap between my devices as I need it, its pretty rare I am charging multiple things at once.

https://www.amazon.com/Delivery-Ank...ps%2C131&sr=8-3

Something like this

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 15, 2022

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Kwolok posted:

I have a dumb question and maybe this isn't even the right place to ask it, but...

I have a nightstand with a power strip with a thousand USB block power cords in it. I hate it and I want to replace it with a single power strip that has a USB-C and USB-A ports instead. I have a pixel 3XL, a ipad pro, a macbook pro, a switch, and a steam deck. These all take usb-c as power, but is there any risk that using one cord from the power strip could damage any one of these devices? This stuff is all so confusing between PD, the various power outputs, fast charging etc.

I just want one cord to swap between my devices as I need it, its pretty rare I am charging multiple things at once.

Something like this

No risk, the device plugged in will only pull what it needs.. the Anker you linked for example would be fine and it satisfies USB-PD for the devices that use it (pretty much everything these days) but for those that don't handle PD, there's fallback to conventional 5v 2.5a or whatever it needs from the USB-A ports.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kwolok posted:

Something like this

No, it won't damage your devices to use a single USB-C PD charger. Your laptop will charge more slowly with a 30 Watt charger than the 67, 96, or 140 Watt versions that apple provides for different Macbook pros, however:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700#pro

In general any charger will work with a device with lower power requirements, and even higher power requirements, but not as quickly.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Rexxed posted:

No, it won't damage your devices to use a single USB-C PD charger. Your laptop will charge more slowly with a 30 Watt charger than the 67, 96, or 140 Watt versions that apple provides for different Macbook pros, however:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700#pro

In general any charger will work with a device with lower power requirements, and even higher power requirements, but not as quickly.

OK, final dumb question, does cord matter or not at all?

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Different cables do have different specs. Some are rated to 100W for example, whilst others only have USB 2.0 speed data if you used the same cable to transfer media to a computer.

What is stopping you from using the Apple laptop charger which is USB-C on your USB-C devices btw? It supports USB-PD surely so you could just use that on everything that's USB-C?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kwolok posted:

OK, final dumb question, does cord matter or not at all?

It can, but probably won't matter if you use a modern one with the appopriate power rating. USB-C is just the plug type, so there are USB-C cables that only handle USB 2.0 and some that handle 3, and then there is also power specification. For example this Anker says it will do 60 Watts and it's a USB 2 cable:
https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Charging-MacBook-Galaxy-Charger/dp/B088NRLMPV/

This one us also USB 2 and does 100W:
https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Powerline-Charging-MacBook-Midnight/dp/B093GGNRZM/

The USB 2 won't matter for only charging, but the power rating does. In this case you were looking at a 30W charger so both of those cables would work but only at 30 Watts. If you're looking for one thing to charge everything I'd just a nice Anker of the length you want (6 or 10 feet if it's for a bedside probably) and just use it. Cables can wear out but anker makes pretty good stuff that lasts a long time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The big differentiator with cables and charging is amperage. USB-C comes in two flavors for charging, 3 amp and 5 amp cables.

Cables can also be emarked or not. Emarking is putting a chip inline with the cable that advertises it's capabilities (amperage and data speed) as well as containing other info like vendor ID and serial number. Any cable CAN be emarked, but typically only 5a cables are emarked because they are required to be emarked to advertise 5 amp capability.

You then get your wattage by multiplying variable amperage against one of several fixed voltages.

Current PD spec uses 5v, 9v, 15v, and 20v. 12v was in use and can be found in the wild, but it's since been deprecated. 48v is the new spec and how they are going to get 240w over USB-C (48*5). PPS can use highly variable voltage along with more variable amperage that can be changed on the fly to offer more flexibility in charge rates.

Most phones do the 9v profile (this bit is important) since that's the easiest to transform for the lithium battery chemistry. They will accept 5v if that's all there is, but typically charging will be capped at 5-10w even if that spec is theoretically capable of 15w (5*3a). I'm sure there are probably internal reasons for that in the charging circuit, but I'm not sure what they are.

So, if phones typically tap out at 9v, where does that leave us for maximum charging. Well, you could do either 27w or 45w depending on if you are maxing out at 3a or 5a. So, I can just get any old 45w charger and charge my S22 Ultra at 45w right? No. The wattage of the charger is the max based on the voltage*amperage of all of the modes it supports. 45w chargers typically get those 45w by 15v*3a and/or 20v*2.25a. There are virtually no chargers out there that support 9v*5a, especially non-PPS chargers. Most max out at 27w for 9v (9v*3a).

You can have 3 45w chargers all sitting side by side and they could all have different capabilities. One could only do 45w with 15v*3a. This would be a poor choice for laptops as MOST laptops require 20v in order to charge while running (some will trickle charge with lower voltage while off). One charger COULD do 20v*2.25a which is what you find in most 45w laptop chargers. But then you have that 3rd 45w adapter, it's a PPS adapter and a bit of an odd duck. Not only will it do 20v*2.25a. It will also do 11v*4.05a. THIS adapter can charge that S22 Ultra at its max rate while at the same time working alright with your lower powered laptop. BUT, you do need to use an emarked cable with it for the phone because it's pulling over 3 amp.

About that 9v thing, this is why you don't see devices that are USB-C PD compliant going much beyond 30-45w. Going beyond 27w in any case with a phone that wants 9v requires an emarked cable as there's no other way to exceed 27w with 9v (9v*3a) and that's an extra layer of complexity for phone charging (needing a specific type of cable). Going beyond 45w while staying USB-PD compliant becomes very complex fast as you are going to have to accept higher input voltages which produce a lot of heat when you transform them to something the battery accepts.

The way other brands have gone beyond 45w typically is by going outside of PD spec and pushing higher amperage (6.5a in the case of Oneplus/Oppo 65w charging) at 10v.

There are some other nuances too. While the Pixel 6 series and the S20/21/22 series all need PPS chargers to get their max rates, they behave different on non-PPS chargers. Google drops down 9v*2a and uses 18w while Samsung reverts to their Fast Charging logic that maxes out at 9v@1.67a (15w). So, it's more important for a Samsung phone to get a PPS charger as you are looking at the difference between 15w and 25w vs 18w and 23w.

If you are one that usually charges their phone above 50%, then any old USB-PD charger will probably do just fine. Samsung does exceed 15w sometimes with a super fast charger above that charge, but the effect on overall charge time is negligible at that point. Fast charging for the mainstream manufacturers remains a means to get 0-50% charge in your device faster and not to deliver overall faster 0-100% charges like other manufacturers are focusing on.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
My travel bag now has a single Aukey USB C/A charger in it that handles my phone, table, headphones, laptop, spare battery, etc. So much nicer than a charger or two plus the laptop brick I had to carry around before.

While its not the 60w charger my laptop came with I've never had an issue with the laptop building charge while using it. I guess its a bit slower, but I've never noticed in normal office use.

Now the debate is do I upgrade to that new Anker Dual USB C wall wart and buy a C->mini cable for those devices that need it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK, silly question maybe, will my 20w Anker Nano, which does 9V @ 2.22A also do 9V @ 2A?
Edit: USB PD

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, those are maximums.

I have a small gear pouch that's my charging go bag.

It has:
1 - 5a Anker Flow 6ft C-C
1 - Belkin C-microA
1 - Elecjet Apollo Ultra 10x 65w graphene battery pack
1 - Anker Nano II 65w
1 - Galaxy Watch Charger
1 - Fossil Group Watch Charger
1 - C - Female A adapter (the kind google ships with their phones)
1 - USB-C OnePlus Bullets

I'll have other stuff I'll bring if I'm taking a long trip (like my Anker 63w desktop charger) and I might throw my Anker dual 100w charger in the bag if I'm bringing my ROG Flow 13 somewhere and expect to game on it.

The C-A adapter is a good thing to bring with you because it can adapt a C charger (or even your phone in a pinch) to power a USB-A device like one of the watch chargers.

I felt the need to put together a bag like that after I had my heart attack because it was a PITA telling one of my friends what and where to look for to get me a charger and headphones so I didn't go crazy in the hospital. Now it's just convenient if I'm going somewhere overnight or something.

I also have so many goddamn Google 18w USB-C chargers from over the years that I keep one with a C-C cable in each car (along with an Aukey 30w PPS car charger that I almost never use https://www.aukey.com/products/aukey-metal-pd-car-charger-dual-usb-30w)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 15, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was hoping Apple's new phone would be USB-C in so I could carry one cable for everything but I guess not. It's so awesome for my 45W brick to do everything I have. I'm also sick of the anti right to repair, but that's not unique to Apple.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would think in that case I would rather bring a magsafe charger than a lightning cable as a magsafe charger would at least charge a different phone.

Or, a C-Lightning adapter nub.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Eh. Not really practical to carry a bunch of poo poo on the bus everyday.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Charles posted:

I was hoping Apple's new phone would be USB-C in so I could carry one cable for everything but I guess not. It's so awesome for my 45W brick to do everything I have. I'm also sick of the anti right to repair, but that's not unique to Apple.

I think iPhone will sooner go portless than USB-C.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Apple will come up with a new proprietary lightning cable, no way they go usb c

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

mrk posted:

Screenshot? I see a couple of ads in my Google Now feed (same feed as you have on Pixels) on my Galaxy, but those ads have "Ad" prefixing the title so easy to know. They are targeted ads though, like an ad for EV leasing since I look up EVs often lol, or a product I've searched on Amazon etc.

If you have ever turned off "targeted ads" in any service you use connected to google then you will get random ads. You will be getting ads anyway in anything online, so no point turning targeted ads off because you will get random bollox that is nowhere near relevant to you potential interests anyway.

I think that was it, I had personalized results off for some reason on that app but not on the normal news app. Not seen any since turning it on, thanks.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Merkinman posted:

I think iPhone will sooner go portless than USB-C.

MagSafe is… fine, but wireless charging is absolutely not there yet for mass adoption. Way too much energy lost.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Kirios posted:

MagSafe is… fine, but wireless charging is absolutely not there yet for mass adoption. Way too much energy lost.

On what phones? on iPhones sure as it's a paltry 7.5W max unless you buy into the whole magsafe system at great cost. On everything else it';s at least 15W and is perfectly ample at keeping a battery topped up at home, car and work all day round. I charge with nothing but fast wireless 99% of the time and it's been like that since I've had the Galaxy S7 edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kirios posted:

Wait what do you mean, wireless charging is everywhere. It's even built into cars now. I haven't used a cable in years.