Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

a scam for a 10 year old acura SUV with 90k miles?

No, it's a scam for desperate people to contact them so they can be shaken down. That's not their car. It's not even their picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

that's insane. scammers should really all be drowned.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Want some FD shaped body panels? Yours for $7,000

More:

Worst part:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Do... they not know how to correct titles?
Or, you know, since the original is signed, finalize the paperwork on *that*, then go on, or an Affidavit of Fact to correct it, or file for a lost title, or, or, or, ANYTHING if they weren't lazy fucks?

Jesus. Just gimme a bill of sale and I'll do a bonded title in TX if it were an actual car.
But not $7K for a shell.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://regalauctions.com/inventory.php?a=details&contract=31333

holy grail!

Imola red, 6 speed, M-sport, unreserved.

Want level: 10/10

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You know what you have to do

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

You know what you have to do

Lose sleep thinking about it, and then watch as it instantly climbs out of my price range? So business as usual. It really should go around $4k but auctions get wild with interesting stuff.

There's also a black 91 SL500 and an 81 AMC eagle without pics yet at the same auction. The SL has a low reserve but i would have to take the seat out to drive it home.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Isn't that 540 basically ready for every piece of rubber and plastic component to be replaced?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Isn't that 540 basically ready for every piece of rubber and plastic component to be replaced?

Aren't they all? That is the default state of a BMW.

It probably would have needed at least an expansion tank and a set of front control arms by that mileage, might even be due for a second of each. Likely a clutch too, probably why it was donated.

They updated the eagle with a $4,900 reserve(lol) but it doesn't seem to have any rust holes. just a little paint missing by the headlights. Also hasn't been registered since 2017 so i would imagine all the included tires are rotted as well.

https://regalauctions.com/inventory.php?a=details&contract=31350

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

am i missing something? this is a screaming deal right?

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but having the asking price be some random number is kind of a red flag to me on a lot of these. For example in that ad, it's $4622 marked down to $4502... Why not just $4500 or $4499 or something? Maybe I'm thinking too much about it.

that's insane. scammers should really all be drowned.

As slowly as possible.

boxen fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 9, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

boxen posted:

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but having the asking price be some random number is kind of a red flag to me on a lot of these. For example in that ad, it's $4622 marked down to $4502... Why not just $4500 or $4499 or something? Maybe I'm thinking too much about it.

As slowly as possible.

They post the same thing everywhere, so probably to dodge spam detection.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Nitrox posted:

Most of the glass and metal also.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

Most of the glass and metal also.

540i of Theseus.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'd be tempted to do shenanigans to make it legal.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i mean you could still track it if you are going into it knowing it could be a basket case

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Track cars be expensive to build, buy them with the right parts and sort them instead of building one from a stock car

but hey, tale as old as time

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Coredump posted:

I'd be tempted to do shenanigans to make it legal.

Really the only shenanigans it would take is to take it to a state other than GA. For example, as far as I know (and I may be wrong) Texas doesn't have any sort of categorization that would make a vehicle unsellable and unregisterable in perpetuity. There's the salvage title that would require an inspection to re-register for road use, but that's it (again, I think.)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Don't buy a no title flood car, jesus

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
I'm really enjoying all the 20+ year old diesel trucks being posted on Craigslist/FB in my area with 200k+ miles for more than they cost new

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

He can probably work a miracle or two

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

no_tears posted:

I'm really enjoying all the 20+ year old diesel trucks being posted on Craigslist/FB in my area with 200k+ miles for more than they cost new

$6.50/gal diesel might put a dent in that market soon.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

But 30,000 miles.

If someone was smart and had space they'd part the body and use the drivetrain for the lowest mile Exocet donor.

Edit: someone has snapped it up.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 11, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Instantly shot to $9k

Yuge oof.

I guess it’s the closest you can get to an M5 these days.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Coredump posted:

But 30,000 miles.

If someone was smart and had space they'd part the body and use the drivetrain for the lowest mile Exocet donor.

Edit: someone has snapped it up.

Miatas are reliable as hell and I don't think mileage is that important in the first place. Potential of water in wiring harnesses and places where it shouldn't be immediately upends that reliability, ironically. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

Instantly shot to $9k

Yuge oof.

I guess it’s the closest you can get to an M5 these days.

My buddy had a really nice E39 M5 that he sold to get an E60 M5, which he sold to retain his sanity.

He’s unhappy with that sequence of decisions.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

My buddy had a really nice E39 M5 that he sold to get an E60 M5, which he sold to retain his sanity.

He’s unhappy with that sequence of decisions.

Yeah, this was done in the wrong order.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Does anyone have favorite Facebook car sale groups for indulging their automotive ADHD?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

blk posted:

Does anyone have favorite Facebook car sale groups for indulging their automotive ADHD?

I followed one to the tune of "unique cars for sale" and blocked it about a week later before it put me into financial ruin

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Imagine spending 75k on a AMC...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

No one is spending 75k on an AMC

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I'd spend $7.5k on that AMC

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm guessing that there's not really a lot of AMC left in that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

way to suck every ounce of charm out of an eagle

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I didn't see what it went for but that's from the diesel brothers auction.

I did see what this went for. dude didn't even bother taking new pics, and cropped the body damage and rust out of the ones he took from the auction.

trying to salesman himself into a huge profit without even touching the truck. Just the laziest, greediest flipper i've seen.

The bullshit sales pitch makes my skin crawl.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 16, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Powershift posted:

I didn't see what it went for but that's from the diesel brothers auction.

I did see what this went for. dude didn't even bother taking new pics, and cropped the body damage and rust out of the ones he took from the auction.

trying to salesman himself into a huge profit without even touching the truck. Just the laziest, greediest flipper i've seen.

The bullshit sales pitch makes my skin crawl.

Seller: "Worth shitloads of money if properly restored maybe"

Also seller: "original engine and transmission were worthless"

It would be all kinds of fun to act excited and offer a stupid amount of money then rescind the offer when you "notice" the engine and trans are missing/unoriginal.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

There's so much to take in.

Well this is awkward...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Coredump posted:

Well this is awkward...

It's a stallion, after all

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/original-thai-tuk-tuk-needs-a-little-work/1609239041

I never even considered poo poo like tuk tuks would qualify as 15 year old cars for import here :stare:

now i'm looking at jeepnys

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

It's a stallion, after all

More like a gelding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Powershift posted:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/original-thai-tuk-tuk-needs-a-little-work/1609239041

I never even considered poo poo like tuk tuks would qualify as 15 year old cars for import here :stare:

now i'm looking at jeepnys

an entirely unreasonable part of me wants to load up some essential tools, fly over and drive that poo poo home to mississauga.